stayed for two weeks starting 18th september . we have visited different places in the region over the last fiteen years , dominican republic , cuba , and jamaica . first time in mexico and this is the best hotel we have stayed in , including sandals montego bay , which would have cost us twice the money this year .
room : we chose top floor for personal reasons and it had everything we needed and good quality . the ladies that saw to the room day time and evening were both friendly and efficient .
staff : all very friendly and prompt service , including the room service guys .
food : good quality and variety . anyone who says otherwise is a snob or does not know their food .
tips : at the evening buffet could do with more shrimp/prawns . At the lunch time buffet , the sweets section needs to be under glass to stop the wasps sharing .
restaurants : proper tablecloths and napkins , not paper , and always clean
it was good to be able to go to any of the restuarants in the evening on the spur of the moment without having to book . my personal favourite was the spanish tapas , for atmosphere , food and service . we enjoyed the food for different reasons at all of them and went twice to all speciality ones .
tips ( constructive ) the others could learn from this and make the mood better with lower lighting levels and using the candles more effectively . don't know why in the mexican they weren't used at all even though there were holders on each table . we are not big drinkers but in the italian needs to have someone to go round to top up the wine now and then .
best service was at the buffet , breakfast , lunch and dinner . which speaks volumes for the staff there . to use their word excellent !
bars : everyone worked hard in all the bars and had no problems with getting drinks at any time . more often than not someone came to our table to ask .even if we went to the bar to order they would ask us to sit and drinks would arrive .
our favourite ...the lobby bar
drinks : all drinkable , soft drinks , beer and wine , sparkling wine , the occasional whiskey and yes ...baileys on ice .freshly made juice bar at beach . ask with a smile and you will it .
the coffee was good everywhere ..this is such a change from other hotels
setting and facilities : great setting , pools always clean , chill area good for anyone wanting a quiet moment or two . beach good but i would say not the best i've seen . snorkling : best to go to akumal beach by collectivo . if you want a better beach than this hotel go to the cayos in cuba
jacuzzi : lovely to sit on egde of beach and look out to the clear blue sea .
animation team : all hotels ( all inclusive ) that i have stayed at have an animation team that organises games and activities . this hotel is no different . people who have complained about the vera club ...i do not know what they are talking about . everyone was polite and we were invited to join in . note invited , not pushed one way or other . special thank you for nicole ( from germany ) who was always polite and friendly with us .
shop : good variety and reasonable prices .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpuha