“best hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
Preston, United Kingdom
“best hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

stayed for two weeks starting 18th september . we have visited different places in the region over the last fiteen years , dominican republic , cuba , and jamaica . first time in mexico and this is the best hotel we have stayed in , including sandals montego bay , which would have cost us twice the money this year .

room : we chose top floor for personal reasons and it had everything we needed and good quality . the ladies that saw to the room day time and evening were both friendly and efficient .

staff : all very friendly and prompt service , including the room service guys .

food : good quality and variety . anyone who says otherwise is a snob or does not know their food .
tips : at the evening buffet could do with more shrimp/prawns . At the lunch time buffet , the sweets section needs to be under glass to stop the wasps sharing .

restaurants : proper tablecloths and napkins , not paper , and always clean

it was good to be able to go to any of the restuarants in the evening on the spur of the moment without having to book . my personal favourite was the spanish tapas , for atmosphere , food and service . we enjoyed the food for different reasons at all of them and went twice to all speciality ones .
tips ( constructive ) the others could learn from this and make the mood better with lower lighting levels and using the candles more effectively . don't know why in the mexican they weren't used at all even though there were holders on each table . we are not big drinkers but in the italian needs to have someone to go round to top up the wine now and then .
best service was at the buffet , breakfast , lunch and dinner . which speaks volumes for the staff there . to use their word excellent !

bars : everyone worked hard in all the bars and had no problems with getting drinks at any time . more often than not someone came to our table to ask .even if we went to the bar to order they would ask us to sit and drinks would arrive .
our favourite ...the lobby bar

drinks : all drinkable , soft drinks , beer and wine , sparkling wine , the occasional whiskey and yes ...baileys on ice .freshly made juice bar at beach . ask with a smile and you will it .
the coffee was good everywhere ..this is such a change from other hotels

setting and facilities : great setting , pools always clean , chill area good for anyone wanting a quiet moment or two . beach good but i would say not the best i've seen . snorkling : best to go to akumal beach by collectivo . if you want a better beach than this hotel go to the cayos in cuba
jacuzzi : lovely to sit on egde of beach and look out to the clear blue sea .

animation team : all hotels ( all inclusive ) that i have stayed at have an animation team that organises games and activities . this hotel is no different . people who have complained about the vera club ...i do not know what they are talking about . everyone was polite and we were invited to join in . note invited , not pushed one way or other . special thank you for nicole ( from germany ) who was always polite and friendly with us .

shop : good variety and reasonable prices .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at this resort 10-19-2012====29-2012.
Overall we enjoyed it very much.
Let me just say right away what I mean by the resort with one minus!!!! Its probably not the resort's fault at all, THE STINKY STINKY SMELL FROM SMOKING!!!! We are not smokers and the SMELL just overwhelmed us. This is because the resort caters to a LOT OF EUROPEANS!!! and apparently they are heavy smokers. I mean they were smoking non stop all the time. In the lobby, on the beach, on the beautiful beautiful walkway through the resort. It was just horrible. Yeah, there are tons of windows in the lobby and its kinda open air, but because they smoke non stop it just never ends. And at night time after dinner there is really nothing else to do other than play pool, which is in the lobby or take a long walk on the beach, which was very very romantic and relaxing. The water was warmer at night time then day time which made it very pleasant.
Ok enough of bad stuff.
THE BEACH: the most beautiful and clean beach we ever saw and been on. Absolutely no sea weed at all, very calm water, I got my boogie board with me and could not even use it cause of the calm seas.Lots of fish right in front of the resort, especially if you feed them a little bread, oooohhhhh, FUN.If we ever return here, it would be for the beach. Very clean clear see through water, warm, you dont need 5 minutes to warm up, just go in the water and swim or snorkel, AHH I miss it so much.
THE FOOD: We thought the food was very good, we enjoyed it a lot. We went to Tapas restaurant once, however, despite the very nice atmosphere we did not like the food at all. My food was kinda ok but my hubby got the fried fish, and instead of fish it was like deep fried fish strips covered in oil and he had heartburn after them. NOT good at all. We had to get out of the restaurant in the middle of meal, my hubby was very upset. A little later we went to buffet and satisfied our cravings. The next evening we tried the Royal grill on the beach, and it was very very very good, the service was fast and we really felt like royalty. But there is a little minus there as well. We sat right by the beach and my hubby literally got EATEN up by even small bugs or mosquitos, I was OK, was only bitten once but we did not wait for the dessert as his legs were burning from the bites, OUCH. Other than that, it was a very very nice place .
The Mexican restaurant was good as well. I ordered a fajita and it was very good, but back at home it is served with Sour cream on the side, I asked for it and the server said they dont have it???????
We went to Playa Del Carmen's 5th Avenue a few times, primarily for the great massages that they do. We used the place called OASIS(green colored letters on the AD).Very nice place, 25$(US dollars)for one hour full body massage. We go there for years, and use the same place all the time. On one occasion we decided to try out another place. NEVER NEVER AGAIN. WE DIDNT EVEN TIP THEM. Usually we leave 5-10 $ in tips but it was just horrible. We both felt like they were doing laundry the very old fashioned way using our bodies. PLEASE go the the people in OASIS place, Very nice and proffesional. By the way, we used COLLECTIVO to get to 5th Ave from the resort. It cost us 5$ US dollars for both of us each way. (comparing to 21$ to use taxi).We always felt safe. We paid in US dollars and it takes 20 minutes to get to the downtown. We always go there at night as its not so hot and there is really nothing to do at the resort at night. Nice atmoshpere and what else you need the last thing in the day than a good massage???
The resort grounds were very well kept at all times and we loved loved loved all the animals: they made our stay very enjoyable. They do not cause you harm when you use common sense.
I was very worried about the ITALAN ISSUE and the VERA CLUB!!! do not be worried at all. We are not Italians and not from Europe but love the activities. My husband was always involved in all the activities going on. On many occasions the Vera Club people would come up to us and invite us to join them. They were very nice, Especially NICOLE!!! She is the bomb of them all. Very friendy and she speaks like 5 languages.Good Job Nicole. No loud music at all like other people stated. Music was on only during the water activities. Dont get discouraged by this. Half of the beach was sleeping or taking naps on the beach lounges or in hammocks, Was very nice, rather quiet and relaxing.
The only reason we probably would not go back to this resort is because of the heavy smokers, unfortunately. Hopefully it will change one day!!! As it is a GREAT PLACE to be at!!!

They even have a pillow menu, which came in very handy for us as we sleep on tempurpedic pillows at home!!!

Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Was my firts time in México, i really loved it, has an amazing service, beautiful beautiful blue beaches, surrounded with different kind of animals and vegetation, this IS a real hotel with profesional staff, you will find people talking different lenguages, food is ok, i loved the piñas coladas in the jacuzzy with a nice view to the sea, you will find europeans most of all, great activities in the hotel.

I got sick in the trip ( i have to confess that i ate a lot and in diferent places) so they treated me as my mom used to, I called to the front desk and they cooked special food exactly as i wanted and they took it to my room <3.

the pool is big and nice, the chill-out zone pool is very very nice, perfect to get tan

Rooms are nice, with a beautiful view, also the price... i still can't believe the price!

Is very close to wonderful cenotes, and best fun places like X-plore and Xel-ha and the turtles beach, my group rented a car so we could go out from the hotel and go to other places, is not easy to find a public transportation.

i had the oportunity to have a dinner in the Tapas restaurant and get to meet the friendly racoon :) he takes your hand while he tries to take you food... so nice, so so so fun

loved it! we want to come back ass soon is possible!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

AMAZING. This resort was wonderful. I am EXTREMELY picky... and this was everything we were looking for. Room was excellent, food was excellent, service amazing, beach amazing!

We had a wonderful, restful vacation. It's a quiet resort, great for a relaxing vacation.. not for party seekers. Check-in and check-out was so quick and pleasant. Nadia at the reception desk was so helpful every time we had a question. We upgraded to a 3rd floor room in Building #5 - closer to the beach and pool and with a balcony that fills with morning sun (the lower level rooms are shaded by the trees). Our room had a big shower and tons of room for our luggages and clothes and it was clean, clean, clean. The beach was about 5 minutes away and the lobby building about 8 minutes away. Lovely walks to and from our room because we spent a lot of time looking into the surrounding trees for lizards and animals. Bring mosquito repellent for the evenings - not many bugs, but when it was humid at night I got one or two mosquito bites.

We vacationed during low season, so the beach wasn't busy at all. We always managed to find a good spot on the beach. Beach is quiet and clean. Sand is sooo soft and the water is clear and beautiful. Lots of fish swimming around you. You can rent snorkels and kayaks each day for one hour for free. We had our lunches at the snack bar. Excellent food. Always delicious, quick and friendly servers. Everyone that works at this resort is friendly. Our favourite server at the breakfast buffet was Fernando - really helpful, kind, quick and polite. Great to wake up and be greeted by such a friendly person! If you're looking for bacon, ask for it at the omelet station.
The food at the a la carte restaurants were great. No reservation policy, which is fabulous. I hate waking up early at other resorts to line up and make reservations at restaurants. At this resort, you just walk up to the hostess at the restaurant and they find you a table - it's perfect. We didn't have to wait in line at all. We managed to get a table immediately. The Spanish Restaurant was excellent - we went back there twice. A bit uncomfortable to sit in the low chairs at that particular restaurant but worth it for the outdoor ambience and food. They do lobster dinner on the beach on Saturday nights and Wednesday nights for $55USD per person - we regret not signing up soon enough for this and we ended up missing it. It would be nice if it was part of the all-inclusive package!

Bring pesos with you for tips and for buying things at the gift shop.

We did two excursions. Half-day at Tulum ruins ($49USD per person), which was great to learn about the history about the area. We also did a full day at XPLOR Amusement Park ($139USD per person). XPLOR was fun for the ziplining only (which only lasted about 1.5hrs)...and the rest of it was pretty boring. When we went there, we spent about 2hrs at the end of the day just hanging around waiting for our shuttle to go home because there was nothing left to do at the park. This shouldn't reflect on the resort though... Just a word of caution that the XPLOR park is a bit overpriced for what it actually is.

The resort is a bit far from everything, so we spent a lot of time in shuttle buses, so be prepared for that... 1.5 hour drive from the airport. 40 min drive from Tulum. 30 min from XPLOR. We were in shuttles with other guests from other resorts and we were always the last to be dropped off.

We would definitely recommend this resort and we would LOVE to return. It was fabulous and we didn't want to leave!
Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you Catalonia Royal Tulum!

Room Tip: Buildings #5 and #6 are closest to the pool and beach. Top floor rooms get the most light during the...
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just returned a few days ago from this fabulous resort. Absolutely the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Every single staff member was friendly and helpful. Plenty of choices for food and it was mostly good. Beautiful grounds. The room was nice and always clean when we came back in the afternoon and bed turned down after dinner. Snorkeling right off the beach. Fun catamaran ride and jet ski's for rent a few hundred yards down the beach. The most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen in my life. My friends and I had a fabulous vacation and would return in a heartbeat. LOVED IT!

Room Tip: As many others have said, buildings 5 and 6 are closest to the beach. Great for me as I got up earl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I were so disappointed in this resort. We stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya last year and it was awesome, but we wanted to try something different. This property came highly recommended by TripAdvisor and the agent at BookIt.com, the site we used to book last year. We paid a *lot* more for this trip because it was hyped as a Traveler's Choice winner, but I'm not sure why.
We arrived a little before 3 and our room wasn't ready, so we wandered down the narrow path to the snack bar near the pool. I ordered mozzarella cheese sticks. Can't ruin those, right? Wrong. They were ice cold. OK, no big deal. We'll get something else. Fries. Nope. Ice cold. They tasted like they'd been sitting since 9 a.m. We went to the buffet lunch, hoping for better. Nope. Everything was cold and chewy. We went back to the front desk to get our key and I told them about the food. I was told that it was windy, so there was no way they could keep the food warm. Valid argument for the buffet. But the made-to-order snack bar? They couldn't keep that warm, when it was shielded from ocean wind and supposedly made right when I ordered it?
We went to our room (second floor) and were immediately greeted with the musty smell of grandma's basement. I get it, it's humid, and things get damp. But this was horrible. We called and politely asked to switch rooms but were told the resort was at capacity, and they offered to come spray "something to make the smell go away." In the meantime, my husband went back to the lobby to meet with the transfer company. He explained the situation to the representative (thank you, Fernando!!!), who walked right up to the front desk and got us a new room. Which was weird, considering the resort was at capacity? The new room smelled 1,000 times better.
The food: For breakfast, your choices are room service, continental by the pool or the lobby buffet. We did the buffet every morning. The standard breakfast choices...omelettes, potatoes, etc. Breakfast was our best meal each day. Lunch, the choices are the snack bar by the pool or the buffet. I ate nachos every day for lunch. They were the only thing that came out right. The food was just lackluster and bland. Eat a huge breakfast, then you can drink all day and skip the lunch. :/
For dinner, there are five restaurants to choose from, and we were going to try the outdoor tapas restaurant the first night. Great ambiance, even though we ended up not eating there because it had rained that afternoon, and every time the trees rustled, we'd get "rained on" again. The steak restaurant was OK...get the spring rolls or the French onion soup as an appetizer. And the fries and Boston brownie are excellent. But that's where the good stops. The dinner buffet? Ugh. It was not good. Uninspired, bland..it reminded us of cafeteria food in high school. We didn't try the Mexican restaurant. The Italian restaurant was the most edible, in our opinion. The bread and bruschetta appetizers were a nice touch. We ate here the most, even though toward the end of the week, the quality started slipping. The food just was not good enough for a resort that was supposed to be high quality. Drinks tasted funny, too...I couldn't put my finger on it, but it kind of tasted like every drink was made with Splenda instead of sugar. I stuck to margaritas and mojitos...they tasted like they should have. Everything else was just..off.
Activities: There was usually something going on by the pool, although I couldn't always tell what it was. And I know the performers put a lot of time into preparing for shows at night, but they just were not good. They were poorly advertised (we had to hunt for the signs the first two days) and not very interesting. There was live music every night in the lobby bar, which was fairly decent. But sitting around doing nothing but drinking (which you've probably done all day, too) gets old. So then there's the disco, right? Nope. It opened at 10:30, but for three nights in a row, we went up there a little after 11 p.m., and not a soul was there...not even a bartender. We finally saw some action on our last night there...karaoke night, which was fine...hubby and I love to sing. But we were disappointed we hadn't had anything to do at night until the last night.
Service/atmosphere: The only reason this review gets three stars instead of two is because of the staff and atmosphere. The housekeeping staff was exceptionally friendly and courteous, always smiling at us or greeting us. The majority of the wait staff was great, and we enjoyed talking with them. Daniel was a lot of fun. The resort is very clean, and the walkway through the jungle is really romantic, especially at night. Everything is marble (which is classy, but be careful when it rains). Our room was perfect (after we were moved) for the amount of time we spent in there. It was always spotless when we came back from the pool to dress for dinner, and we liked the hammock on the balcony...it was a nice touch. I read out there during a thunderstorm on the last day, and it was so peaceful.
I'm so glad we were able to get away from home, and I wouldn't have minded staying here if it hadn't been hyped as a fabulous, award-winning resort. But as it was, this was an expensive week at the pool, because aside from the grounds and the service, like I mentioned above, there really wasn't much else going for this place.

Room Tip: Ask for highest level possible. We stayed in Building 5, which was really close to the pool/ocean an...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Dont listen to the negative reviews to sway you from this gem. Great food, great people, the beaches are beautiful. You can get involved with the beach games or just sit and enjoy the view. I loved the coaties . my wife and i will return sooner than later.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!