“A beach that dreams are made from..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Xpuha
Toronto, Canada
“A beach that dreams are made from..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was our first trip to the Royal Tulum. My wife and I had stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan/Mayan Riviera twice and we wanted to stay at a resort with out any children. The Royal Tulum didn't disappoint!
Upon arrival we were greeted with a cold towel and a mixed drink, after the 1.5hr bus ride from the airport it was great to have the cold towel. Please don't let the travel time keep you away from this resort, it is worth the trip.
We had requested a room closer to the beach through our travel agent, and the Royal Tulum happily oblidged. The room it self was great, comfortable king bed, wonderful bathroom fully stocked mini bar. Even though you don't get Corona in your mini bar don't worry the Dois XX is just as good.
THE BEACH: I loved the beach! It has beautiful white sand, crystal clear water and plenty of fish to swim along with if you snorkel. I snorkeled every day for almost an hour, just enjoying the amazing fish, there is plenty of coral to enjoy as well. My wife and I are one of those people who get up early and put our towels on the beach chairs, but there are lots of chairs for everyone so no one really had to worry.
The food is really good at all of the restaurants. The only place my wife and I didn't really eat at was the tapas bar/restaurant. For the simple fact that by 7-8pm we were hungry for a full meal. The setting for the tapas bar/restaurant is great, big comfy couches and chairs set under the tree's.
So after that amazing review here are a few of my minor complaints. The entertainment staff: Neither my wife or I are Italian, so they wanted nothing to do with us unless there boss was around. A few rude guests from Italy would always be rude to the servers. They work very hard for low wages, having the extra demand from them isn't pleasant to see.
One other great point, is during the day there is someone always cleaning the grounds. It's amazing to see.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the beach/pool less of a walk.

3,344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The resort is great. I really enjoyed my time there. I guess the buffet was not so great because the variety of food is limited, but still everyone can find something for his or her taste. I also love the fact the resort is for adults only.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Angelo, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

In my original review on the Catalonia Riviera Maya site I mentioned this site as being the Catalonia Yucatan. After what we went through I was confused about the names of the different Catalonia properties. Please accept my appologies. I will try to get that review corrected if possible.

review of the Catalonia Royal Tulum

This is not the property that I had paid for months in advance but is the place that we ended up at. We had paid for a “Privileged” two room suite with a small private pool at the Catalonia Riviera Maya but were told that the hotel was full and they did not have any rooms available except for one room without air conditioner. They told us at the Riviera that we would be getting a two-room suite at their other property, the Catalonia Royal Tulum, the best room available. The Royal Tulum was a few miles south of the Riviera Maya.

When we were taken to our room via golf cart we realized it was a standard room. After walking back to the lobby (quarter mile away) I was told that we had to have something in writing to get a suite. I went back to the room, got our papers and walked back to the lobby. I stopped by the concierge desk and asked them to contact Lomas Travel through their 24/7 number so I could talk to them about our problem. The receptionist looked at the papers and took them to the back, I guess to her supervisor, and came back and told me these papers were for the Riviera Maya. I had nothing in writing on the suite that we were promised at this site so I would not be getting it. She also informed me how much better the Royal Tulum was over the Riviera Maya and that I was lucky to get a standard room.

I went to the concierge thinking that he was contacting Lomas Travel and was told that no one at Lomas is answering the 24/7-phone line and that I should come back tomorrow.

Oh well, what the heck. Instead of walking another quarter mile back to our room I went to the bellhop and asked if I could get a ride on his golf/luggage cart back to my room. No problem. Even though I felt it right to tip the bellhop for each of our many trips the golf cart was the only way that my wife could get from the room to the lobby, swimming pool and restaurants on this property. I don’t know if this shuttle service is normally offered, the management definitely did not offer it, but I did take advantage of it.

My wife can only walk limited distances using her wheeled walker. She can not navigate sand very well and certainly can not get into the ocean with any significant waves. This is why I had researched and chose the Riviera Maya with its narrow beach on a protective cove for our vacation.

The Catalonia Royal Tulum is a long narrow property stretching from the highway to the ocean. Per google the distance from the lobby to the beach is approximately .37 miles, almost four times the distance of their Riviera Maya property. There were six buildings of guestrooms. Three on each side. Between these buildings was a nice meandering footpath of uneven stone. In this corridor, from the lobby to the beach area, was a cenote surrounded by vegetation, tropical trees a mangrove swamp other fauna. It was really a beautiful and natural setting. The trees were high enough and the tropical forest thick enough that you could walk the path between the guestrooms without seeing the buildings. There were always iguanas and the local family of coati was always making an appearance. Unfortunately my wife could not navigate this path because uneven stone and because of her disability. Along the outside of the rows guest buildings was a service roads of hexagonal concrete tiles. This is the route the golf cart took.

The Catlaonia Royal Tulum is a couple’s only resort and when we arrived almost all of the couples seemed to be a much younger mix of Italians, Spaniards and Catalonians. It reminded me of the time we spent in Bacelona. The whole populace of that city seems to be young, vibrant and in shape due to using their feet instead of hopping in a car to go six blocks. Later in our stay a few older American couples invaded the resort. I felt more at home. Don’t get me wrong, we go to a gym three times a week, but we are far from being spring chickens and enjoy Tex-Mex food a little too much.

It seemed to me that the management of this property was reluctant in contacting our local agents. I sent an Email to Funjet, our travel agents, via their online site that Sunday evening. They contacted us by phone Monday morning to let us know that they were working hard to get us the property and room that we had paid for. Later that Monday Lomas Travel, Funjet’s agents in Mexico, contacted me and a manager and customer service supervisor of Lomas met me in the lobby of the hotel. Lomas/Funjet offered me a upgrade to another nearby property not controlled by the Catalonia group.

I explained why I chose the Riviera Maya. When we were younger we enjoyed many visits to the Caribbean where, I being a scuba diver since 1975, introduced my wife to snorkeling. She never wanted to scuba but we could enjoy the sea life and reefs together by this sport. It was not because of any star ratings afforded the Riviera Maya resort but because it was next to a protected lagoon area where my wife, even with her handicap, could get into the water and we could once again snorkel together.

Though Lomas we worked out an agreement that they would shuttle us from the Catalonia Royal Tulum to the Catalonia Riviera Maya and back for the final two days of our stay so we could snorkel and enjoy the facilities at the other hotel during the daytime. If you would think that this would circumvent any more attempts by the management of the Catalonia resorts to further disrupt our vacation, then you would be wrong.

I had brought $50 in ones for tips for our four nights, five-day vacation. This tip money, because of our golf cart shuttles and trips to the Riviera Maya and back was getting thin. I had managed to get some pesos and went to the reception desk at the Royal Tulum to break the pesos into smaller change for tips before we went to the buffet breakfast. As we were walking to the buffet the reception lady came after me and told me that we were leaving and had been checked out of the hotel. What the heck? She was very adamant that we were to be checking out and leaving that morning. Our door keys would no longer work because they had checked us out! I tried talking to her but all she could offer is that we call our travel agent because as far as they were concerned we were gone.

I had my wife settled at the breakfast table and I went to the concierge desk and asked them to contact Lomas Travel. This was the same place that earlier could not get a hold of Lomas Travel. Instead of calling them as I requested their attitude changed and all of the sudden I could stay and there was no need for me to contact Lomas Travel. What the heck? They argue with me in the Lobby and tell me that I have to leave the Hotel a day early and when I ask to call Lomas Travel they decide I can stay? I don’t know what I have done to the Management of this Hotel; I have not even met them face to face. The best I can do is to deny them any future opportunity to treat me again in such a manner.

Now for the review of services at this resort. The food and restaurants is what I expected from an all-inclusive Mexican resort, nothing spectacular. They do try to offer gourmet dishes at their specialty restaurants but with mixed results. At the outside steakhouse, they have some kind of seafood flavored mousse with a little bit of crab sprinkled on the top of it but why they call it a New England style crab cake is beyond me. The meat, chicken and beef is over cooked but I have been coming to Mexico for more years than I would like to mention and this does not surprise me. I had some really good grilled fish and some excellent grouper cooked in sauce at the outside lunch buffet one day. The meal at the Mexican restaurant was ok but the shrimp that I had ordered for the main dish was much too spicy hot for me to eat. The meal at the Italian restaurant was a bit disappointing. I noticed many diners looking at the menu and ordered perhaps an appetizer or desert then leaving. I thought the selection at the lunch buffet by the pool was better than the by the lobby dinner buffet. I wish we had tried the Tapas bar and restaurant but after spending the day in the sun we were looking for a venue providing at least Mexican cool air conditioning. The hotel states that long pants are required for men at the restaurants but this is not at all enforced. My wife had a really good grilled ham and cheese from the poolside grill/snack bar. Twice we ordered room service for breakfast. The first time service was prompt and the food was good. The second time the service was not so prompt and the eggs were cold.

Our room was nice, spacious and clean. We had no problems with hot water or getting clean towels. The maid did a wonderful job. The room air conditioner was what you usually find in Mexico, under engineered. Because of the climate an air conditioner is not as efficient as it would be it the states. I had called the desk and asked that our air conditioner be checked but I knew nothing would nor could be done about it. After midnight it did get cool enough so you did not have to sleep on top of the sheets. No big thing. It was always cooler inside than out. The balcony patio to our room was spacious. The in room coffee maker made some pretty good coffee, more to our taste than the strong coffee at the restaurants and I enjoyed having a cup on the balcony/patio in the morning. Because of no breeze circulation through the property due to the trees and vegetation it became too uncomfortable for us to use the patio after the early morning and I did not notice any of our neighbors using their patios at all.

The staff, outside of the reception desk and the unseen managers and supervisors were prompt, efficient, friendly and helpful. They deserved every bit of the tips we left for them. The service at the bars and restaurants were top rate.

The condition of the property itself was immaculate. The pool and huge hot tubs were nice. The beach seemed to have plenty of palm tree shade and was wide with white sand. The waves were a bit strong at the time and the ocean at this resort is not really suitable for snorkeling but the blues of the ocean and the water clarity was very nice. The beach and pool area was open to the ocean and often had a nice breeze. Like the Riviera Maya every spot of shade near the pool was reserved in the morning with some ones beach towel. We were able to find a spot in the shade away from the pool a bit. We never felt unsafe on this property and had no problems leaving things on the lounger while we were in the pool.

In summation we are very thankful for Funjet and Lomas Travel for their assistance and kindness in contrast to what was afforded by the managers of the Catalonia properties.

Yonkers, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

this was my first time visiting Mexico and I can't wait to go back. The service starting at the airport was amazing the residents are so welcoming and warm. the original hotel I booked was having problmes with the A/C so we were upgraded to a sister hotel which was absolutely gorgeous. Again the resort is kept so clean and the staff bends over backwards to make sure that your staff is as enjoyable as possible. They had many choices for food the buffets were great so many options and everything was very tasty. The drinks could have been a little stronger but hey all in all it was great. The only disappointing thing I can say is that the music was low I really enjoy spanish music and would have loved to hear some while laying on the beach or poolside. But I must say the trip as a whole was excellent and would definetly recommed this hotel to frinds and family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here from August 12-19th on our 15 year anniversary. We arrived with USA Transfers (highly recommend them, they are fantastic!) and check in was easy and fast. We chose not to upgrade our room however I did request to stay in building 4 on the top floor.
I can't really add much more to what other people have said about the resort but here we go:

-Beach is fantastic~soft sand, crystal clear water, swaying palm trees. I think they need more palapas. It was hard to find a good spot if you wanted a shade/sun combo. If you didn't have a palapa you either had to choose a shady spot or a full sun spot.

-Staff are friendly and work very, very hard

-Rooms were clean but basic ~ not a lot of extras, just a basic room with your basic needs, the beds were comfortable and the air conditioner worked like a charm

-Turn down service was hit and miss~only really had it twice in the 6 days we were there

-Food ~ this is where things could be better. We tried all of the restaurants and I have to say that the al la carte places were disappointing. In my opinion, and I can't believe I am saying this, the buffets were the best places to eat all three meals. They had great choices of food, everything was cooked well and was hot. The same can't be said for the al la cartes. Everything we chose to eat either tasted funny or was cold. Don't bother with the pool side grill, the food was just terrible. The fruit smoothie bar Maa Loo was incredible! So refreshing and tasty.

-Don't worry about the Vera Club or the Italians. If you want to join in the activities you can (we were invited multiple times) and they all seemed friendly enough.

All in all it was a great vacation, we had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. There were just some things that didn't hit the mark for us and all I kept thinking was "it's all in the details".

Special mention to the following staff members who made our trip extra special:
-Carlos~Thank you so much for taking such good care of us at breakfast and lunch. You always knew exactly what we wanted before we even had a chance to ask you and you always provided it with a smile. We miss you already!!
-Fernando~I will never forget that smile! You are so friendly and always took the time to have a quick chat with us even though you were always so busy and working so hard! I hope you get a well deserved break very soon!
-Geny~Your giggle and smile was so infectious, we loved talking with you on the beach when we ordered our drinks! I still don't know how you can walk in the sand with all of those drinks on your tray without spilling a drop!

If you have booked or are thinking of booking~you will be very happy for you choice! Enjoy!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

First of all this was our honeymoon, our first international vacation, and we booked through cheap Caribbean (totally by ourselves). Overall I think this hotel was great. The staff is so friendly and will do anything you ask. My husband and I were always sure to tip the waitors and the guys at the bar. The problems that we ran into during our stay were handled so well by the front desk it was like nothing even went wrong. Upon checking in we headed to our room and when we arrived it wasn't ready so the doorman who was escorting us there said no worries I'll get you a better room! A few days later a drain line in our A/C was leaking and one call and fifteen minutes later it was fixed. As for the restaurants.. Just OK. Same with roomservice. The best for me was the snack bar with pizza and nachos deluxe! Yum! The americano grille was also good but this is our last day and still unsure of what the restaurant schedule is? Also weren't informed about show/evening entertainment schedules? There is wifi available in the rooms so it's great for staying in touch with home. The beach is gorgeous! Heard from others at different resorts that their beaches were rocks but at the Catalonia it is powder soft everywhere! The water is so clear and you can snorkel and see a few different types of fish.
The only thing my husband and I didn't enjoy was the other rude guests at the hotel. The lady at the watersports rental desk was horrible! She has a serious attitude problem. If you are American (like we are) just be ready to be treated like you are the scum of the earth by the other guests.. We tried to say hello, smile, socialize with them but got dirty looks in return.. Try to find other people that speak English, it is a huge relief.. There is also something called the vera club that apparently caters to the itialian guests.. Sometimes there are restaurants or parties that are exclusive to them and the rest of the guests are pretty much shunned to go somewhere else for the evening.. Other than that everything was great!
So all in all, rooms look just like the pictures, wonderful beach, ok food, amazing staff! Be sure to checkout the ruins, Xel Ha, pet the coatis and haggle with vendors ;) DON'T FORGET THE BUG SPRAY AND THE SUNBLOCK!

• Stayed August 2012
La Habra, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was supposed to stay at the Catalonia Riviera Maya but ended up at the Royal Tulum because our friends got moved there due to overbooking. I asked very nicely if we could get moved too and they said yes. It took from one day to the next to arrange, it was a bit messy, but I think the reason they were ultimately OK was because the Royal Tulum is for Adults only and they probably needed more room for families than two lone couples. Anyway, the Royal is definitely an upgrade and feel really fortunate for the mix up. However, I am very sad for a couple I met at the Catalonia Riviera who booked at the Royal Tulum but were also moved due to overbooking. I don't understand how the reverse happened to them, it isn't fair.

Aside from this booking issue, I must say my stay at the Royal was fantastic. I did stay one night at the Riviera so let me compare and contrast. First, the Royal beach is better than the Riviera in the sense that it has powdery white sand versus a very rocky edge. The Riviera has a coral reef close to shore which makes it great for snorkling but bad for your feet if you don't have water shoes. Also, if you are not a great swimmer, take someone that can give you a boost enough to get to the reef, it is not deep there and you can see lots of fish. Don't touch the Sea Urchins!!
Don't let the bad reviews on the food scare you. Whether it's the buffet, the a la carte restaurants, or the snack bar, they all have hit or miss elements. None of them serve truly Mexican food so take a taxi to a local Yucatan eatery and try some cochinita Pibil, Panuchos and fish tacos. Breakfast was great, but I think it's hard to mess up eggs, bacon, pastries and snadwiches. The lunch buffet was adequate as well.
The rooms had all nice limestone tile, I thought they were beutiful. Linens were clean, and beach towels were replenished every evening. Tip the nice cleaning ladies leaving you with towel animals. As other people have mentioned, room service and the mini bar in the room are included, which is a huge bonus. Pack some waters from your room when you go out on excursion, we went to the Cenote Azul and rented a car to see Tulum, Chichen, Valladolid and Playa. The mangrove walkways were so beautiful, I love seeing the iguanas and the coatis hanging around. Overall, the resort was awesome and would love to stay there again if I can afford it.
Comments for the Hotel Management: get rid of the Alegria show, it was too strange and not funny. I recomend swaping it for Karaoke night or something easier.The Pool party on Friday would be better if instead of the clowns in weird clothes you had two or three hot go-go dancers (Vegas style). Same for the club. A movie night would be great (sing alongs, anyone?) The tapas bar was delish, but the waiters seemed to be overwhelmed and I didn't like the Racoon that stole some ladies' dinner. Last, the Spa could use some higher-end facilities.

Room Tip: First floor was fine, we did not hear a thing from upstairs. Helps when you have had a few drinks
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!