“Still wish we were there!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Xpuha
Yoe, PA
“Still wish we were there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Our short trip to CRT, I really wish we would have had more time. We really enjoyed our stay. Something I didn’t pay attention to though while going through Cancun airort, it took an hour to get through, but once through customs, you shouldn’t stop for anything NO MATTER WHAT! They are very deceiving, trying to suck you in to time shares.

Definetly enjoyed the small hotel atmosphere, but d not think I would visit there during it’s full capacity times. The only think I didn’t like was how the Italians would make you feel and activities just for them, but that was because the had reps there 24/7

Used Apple vacations, everything went smoothly.

Check-in: No problem, even got our facebook promo gift.

Room :
We stayed Jun20-25th room 3115 second floor Brisa building. Half way to beach and lobby. We did a lot of walking, but helped burn the calories off from all the drinks and food we had. Standard room, but upgraded, we were very pleased. Room service everyday usually came @ 3p then again for turn down between 7-8. A new towel animal everyday, very nice. Only had on spider intrude the whole week, Though there are a lot of little lizards that come out at night, but they don’t bother you. Bed was comfy and we both slept very well, my husband actually didn’t snore until the last night. Pillow menu, but we didn’t use it. Room was always clean and items replaced, including the refridge items. Balcony was nice, over looked the jungle. There are door tags if you want your room cleaned, which I didn’t know you needed to put out the first night. Air woked fine, we generally kept it @ 73 and that was comfortable enough. Safe in the room had no problems. TV could be alittle bigger, but we just watched it to settle in the evening.
Shower was nice and big. There is a plague with daily activities the lobby of your building, it will tell you which restaurants are open that day also. Wifi free, use your room number for password and username, but very poor, could get out once or twice a day.

Hotel Layout:
We did a lot of walking the, but it was fun to look for different animals in the jungle are everyday, listening to the wildlife was spectacular. It did not take long to walk from the front to the back but if your legs tend to rub at all I would recommend taking anti chaffing lotion or stick, or whatever you used to prevent chaffing because if you don’t you will get very uncomfortable. I used mine and was glad I did. The pathways are nice and windy, but definitely ladies do not wear heels, you will break your neck. Even wedges were alittle challenging. I don’t’ know why Italians think they didn’t need to move over, but my husband put me on his right side and we ddin’t have that problem. I definetly would not want to go when the hotel was full, because most of the Italians seemed very snotty and smoked a lot.

Beach:

Absolutely amazing, never had a problem finding a chair, the towel exchange really helped. I had the same spot 3 days in a row. Drink Service from Beatriz was timely and she usually knew what I wanted. I ended up trying 21 different drinks and there was only one that I didn’t like. There is a bathroom with a changing area area behind the Tequila Bar. You can get use the snorkel equipment and kayaks for 1 hour a day. We took the Catamaran out, they take you on a 20minute ride. I was very nice. Everyday the photographer would come out with some animal to take pictures.

Pool:

Clean and big. I didn’t realize but there is a five ft ledge with a 2 inches of water that you can lay in. They had a pool party Tuesday and Friday night. Pool drink service was good also. They also have rafts you can used in the Towel hut. They have daily water aerobics and scuba lessons.

Pure Chill Area:

Nice quiet area to relax and take a nap. Very romantic setting.

There is a library with a pool table and other table games.

Eats:
We liked to eat early and never had a problem getting a seat, it didn’t’ seem to get busy until between 7:30 and 8p, and we liked to eat dinner @ 6p and a lot of times we the only ones. We also didn’t know the first night that desserts came with your dinner and we ended up going to the buffet for desserts, until the 3rd night when we stayed long enough to be offered dessert. Service was always good

House wine and House drinks were always good.

Breakfast in the La Selva in the lobby, large selection buffet, never had a hard time finding something to eat, they will make eggs anyway you want them and coffee also
Bloody Mary and Mimosas.

Lunch we tried the buffet but it was weird stuff and didn’t seem filling, we did better ordering from the Pizza grill, the burgers and sandwiches were very good and the Salsa there was excellent!

Terrace and Tapas we tried and I know people like but it was our least favorite, between the entrée that we couldn’t make out what it was to the ants crawling all over us, we didn’t enjoy it.

Cenatario We enjoyed but the food was very spicey, my husband accidentally tried the Jabenero dip and about died.

Toscana Was good Italian food.

Royal Grill was our favorite. Located at the beach, the food was good, though I had to laugh at the Maryland crab cake, it was more like crab quiche. Caesar salad was good and the entrees and desserts were the best.

The Bars

Carlos was the best! Very thankful and mixed drinks well tough all the staff was always smiling and thankful for tips.

Entertainment: Nightly show, we did attend, it was ok. Vendors in the lobby Monday and Wednesday. We never were able to stay up late enough to go to the disco.

Overall I was very pleased with our choice and would return.

Room Tip: Just relax!

3,314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Korean first
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a nice 10 day vacation at the CRT! This is a beautiful resort with a stone walkway through a rainforest. Check in was quick and we requested a room closer to the beach and we got it.

Tip: We upgraded from a standard room to a junior suite through our Delta vacations package...it was about $50 more a day...when we got to the resort, they have an advertisement about 'upgrade now' with a list of VIP amenities to include a 30 minute massage, candlelit dinner on the beach, a couple of other items... when you book through your travel package, you are paying for the room only, so we found out...and are not entitled to the VIP amenities. So if you are considering upgrading your room, maybe send them a note to see if you can do that right thru the resort and get in on the VIP amenities instead of paying extra through your travel package! I believe CRT charged about $50 more a day also...so why not get the extras!?!

Room: We were in an updated junior suite in building 5 on the 2nd floor. We had a really nice room, always clean, they refilled our waters in the minibar daily, comfortable bed, nice shower with hot water...

Wi-Fi Internet service - it went out on us twice due to the rain so we ended up having to take our laptop to the lobby. Not a huge dealbreaker though...

Food: Our favorite was the buffet at lunch time at the Palapa (called the Royal Grill at night time). They had a really good variety of food and it tasted really good!! the rest of the meals were good but not overly impressed, had better...and we aren't picky eaters, just our opinion.

Room Service: The guys were very prompt and always served with a smile but usually never got the order correct, something would be missing that we ordered. Again, no big deal really...

The pool was always clean and even though there isn't a swim up bar, the wait staff were constantly coming around and taking drink orders, which was really nice. We never had a problem getting a couple of loungers under a palapa.

The beach was awesome! nice sand...lots of waves in the ocean, which were fun to swim in!

This resort was heavily populated by Italians, so we felt a bit outnumbered, but not a big deal. Some were a bit rude, especially at dinner time, if a group of them were already sitting at dinner and then more of their friends showed up, some of them felt that their friends should be allowed to join their group and cut in front of everyone else...ran into that a couple of times, but again, not a huge deal...and I'm not trying to pick on the 'Italians' because I know that any nationality you can come across rude people... and a lot of people in general were smokers too...but again, not a big deal.

We did two trips during our stay: we did a catamarran day trip to Isle Mujeres which was fun...it was a bit overcast that morning and light rain but it did clear up. The other, which I would highly recommend, was the sunset cruise on the Tahuna out of Marina Moroma! absolutely wonderful...it is for couples, very romantic...we sailed and watched the sunset and then came back to a lobster dinner on the beach. Each couple had a private area where they had the white drapes around the sides and had the white linen and candlelite dinner, they took pictures, it was an excellent trip, definitely recommend it!!

Overall this was a really nice resort...we loved to stroll through the stone walk way thru the center. We saw lots of iguanas and there was a family of white nosed coati's that was fun to watch...

I will also add that every staff member that we encountered was extremely friendly! I know a few basic Spanish words so it was fun to speak what little bit that I could and the staff seemed to get a kick out of it...

I would recommend this place to friends for sure... :)

Terre Haute, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed at the CRT from May 25 - June 3. This was our third trip to the area (different resorts each time) and this one was definitely my favorite! While I love to read long reviews with lots of details, I don't enjoy writing them. Here are the top 10 reasons we liked the CRT so much....
10. Other guests. It's true what everyone else says, the resort caters to Italians. There are A LOT of them and they really are loud and rude, but we met a lot of really nice people as well (including Carolyn and some others I had 'met' in forums.
9. Rooms. We don't spend a lot of time here, so I didn't care about the out-dated decor. Bed was super-comfy, A/C worked great, mini fridge was always stocked and maid service was exceptional. Loved the balcony.
8. Food. This isn't something that I care about that much because I don't eat much. However, we really liked most of the meals we had. Mexican restaurant was our favorite, followed by the steak place and Tapas. Plenty of selection at the buffets. Make sure you try the pizza and burgers at the snackbar (outstanding)!
7. Facilities. Everything was well-maintained and clean. I never really saw anything that was not in working order or broken. All the public areas like the lobby, restaurants and bars were very clean. Equipment in the gym always worked.
6. Location. We wanted to visit PDC and the Tulum ruins, so this was perfect.
5. Activities. There was always something going on (even though we did not participate in a lot of it). The animation staff was really friendly and they encouraged everyone to join in. Loved the stretching/yoga and the aqua gym. Not much nightlife here, which is OK with me. If you are into that kinda of thing, you may want to think about Cancun.
4. DRINKS. The best I've had at an all-inclusive. The flavored margaritas in the lobby bar are to die for (my faves were apple, watermelon, cucumber and guava). Others that our group really liked were the Dirty Monkey at the pool bar and the key lime martini at Tapas.
3. Service. With the exception of a few slow breakfast waiters, the service was top-notch. Lobby staff were always helpful and very friendly - they really wanted guests to be happy (and no one tried to get us to move to a different resort). After a few days we became pretty well known by our favorite staffers (Luis, Paulina, Beatriz, Juanito, and the bartender who liked to be called "mexican Tom Cruise). These guys treated us like family and they worked so hard. Please remember to tip them!!
2. Beauty/Size/Adults only. I had to group these together because I realized I am almost out of numbers. We loved that the CRT was so much smaller than the other resorts we had been to. From the lobby to the walking paths to the pool, it was only a couple minute walk and an enjoyable one. The landscaping is very nice. We loved all the plants and animals. And lastly, I love kids (especially mine) but it was even more relaxing without them!
1. THE BEACH. I can't say it enough. This was BY FAR the nicest beach I have ever been on. Water was georgeous, sand was super-soft and it did not seem crowded at all.
We loved it! Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to give this place a try.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Madam and Sir,
We would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
We really appreciate your positive review, it's a pleasure to know that you had a good time here with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Best regards,
Giancarlo Dell’Erba
NW CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We were at CRT the first 2 weeks of June, 2011, with 2 other couples and the wonderful Lady Carolyn. While there we met up with MOViking (briefly), MXBound and KAT, just to name a few.

This was not our first visit to CRT and we noticed improvements and changes since we first started staying there. The WiFi is much improved and we had no trouble obtaining a strong signal from our rooms or even the pool deck. Chair wars were always a very strong topic of conversation, but changes to the towel allotment has almost eliminated that problem. We did see some chair hogging - it's not totally gone, but reduced by 99% - -- good work CRT Management!

The menus have changed...some for the good...some not, but that's only a personal observation. The dinner buffet at La Selva, we think, was a wonderful addition to the restaurant choices. You eat so much during the day, that sometimes it's a nice change to be able to eat a little lighter. We've also seen an improvement in the offerings at the Italian Restaurant. It was not our favorite when we first started going to CRT and during one visit we didn't eat there at all. There have been changes to the menu, but we think that the best change was the change to the Captain. Luis, who was the Captain at the Royal Grill, is now at the Italian Restaurant. Things are so much improved and we attribute that to his ability to run a tight ship. We ate there 3 times and had wonderful meals each and every time. A very big "THANK YOU" to Luis and his staff ! !

The beach is as gorgeous as ever and we never had a problem finding plenty of shade or a palapa, but then again we are early risers. Vera Club has a strong presence at this resort and is helping to keep the resort at near full capacity during the low season. Their animation team has been seamlessly integrated with the CRT animation team and they stopped by to chat with us several times during the day, every day. We were invited to participate in every activity and never felt that there were "Italian activities" and "other guests" activities. There were some minor incidents of cutting in line at the buffets, but that is not something only done by the Italians. There was a language issue, but we found that saying "hola" or "buon giorgno" or finding an interpreter, worked wonders. Most of the time, large groups from Vera Club left the resort to go on tours. If you are going to just sit in your lounge chair, drink your drinks, read your book and not attempt to engage in conversations with guests or staff, you might feel left out. A HUGE thank you to Salvo, Gianluca, Betta, Syliva and Francesco for their patience with us and our practical jokes and for the Italian lessons. We'll never forget Betta's reaction to the "snake" ! !

Checkin was fast and we were given the room type we requested. There was no bumping at all during our stay. We did not get an updated room and we didn't really care. The room was spotlessly clean and we received turn down service every night. We never had a problem having our mini-refrigerator filled with water, soda or beer. There were always plenty of towels.....we never lacked for anything we needed. There was one time when our room was not made up until 4:45 p.m. but there was a large number of guests who checked out and an equally large number of guests checking in that day.

Bar service at the pool bar was prompt and the bartenders always had a smile. At 6:15 p.m. you could always find us at the lobby bar having drinks before dinner. The lobby servers were fantastic and always served us with a smile and a little Spanish lesson. The beach and pool servers are the best we've ever encountered. Our special thanks go to Deysi and Beatriz - two of the most energetic, patient and lovely women we met.

Years ago, at another resort, we were once told by a hotel manager, "some people go away on vacation looking for a bad time".......that is not us. The diversity of nationalities and languages makes it a world tour adventure if you desire to go out there and meet people. We have met people from Canada, Norway, Denmark, Spain, France, Germany and Italy and have had wonderful times and wonderful conversations with all.

If you would like to see some pictures of our trip or read a day-by-day report, you can go to Locogringo.com, trip forums.

Would we go back to CRT ? ? Tomorrow or as they say, "in a New York minute".

Donna and Rob Hayes

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Husband and I just returned from 7 wonderful nights at the CAT. This was our first visit to the CAT as well as a first for adults only. Previously we have stayed at Iberostar Tucan, Gala, RIU Playacar, Barcelo, Grand Palladium. The CAT may not have the glamor and glitz like some of the other resorts we have stayed, but, and this is a huge but, the beach is "the best." Soft, white, powdery sand to enter the water and only an occasional rock or two. You can walk in either direction for miles and not stumble upon a large mass of people. The color and clarity of the water is superb. Husband and I are non smokers and I was worried about the abundance of smokers from previous posts. No need to worry. All of the restaurants and buildings are smoke free. There is plenty of room on the beach to move if you have a smoker next to you. The food was good for an all inclusive. We tried all of the ala cartes with the Italian being our favorite. The buffets were okay and if you are a picky eater you can always find something you like. Out of all the resorts we have stayed the staff at the CAT is by far the friendliest we have encountered. Always greeted with a smile and an Hola. Plenty of water was left daily in the fridge and the cleaning staff did a wonderful job of cleaning and leaving towel art and turn down service. We took a taxi to Akumal to snorkle and swim with the turtles. We saw an abundant colorful fish and several turtles. We didn't rent a locker just left our beach bag under a palm tree and didn't have any worries. Of course, we kept our money with us and had no valuables in the bag. Although there is not a swim up bar we were able to make friends quickly with other Americans. As a matter of fact, during a game of water volleyball we had so many drinks around the pool that it looked like a swim up bar.
Husband and I do not visit the same place twice. We like to explore new areas, but I would definitely stay at the CAT for a repeat visit. How soon can I book?

HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Madam and Sir,

Best regards,
Giancarlo Dell’Erba
Burleson, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I would have rated this resort 5 stars except for a few things where there is room for improvement. Here are the positives: an absolutely gorgeous beach; great breakfast; delicious food in the Mexican restaurant Centenario; lovely grounds; fantastic spa with special kudos to Adrian (get Oscar to give you a massage!); wonderful waiters like Leonardo, Eder, and Abner; fun water aerobics class in the ocean; good closet with lots of storage space; good evening shows; nice, but plain, room, with a very comfortable bed; constant maid service---three times a day!
So, what could be improved? A seat in the shower would be nice---something to sit on when shaving your legs; a swim up pool bar; a greater variety of restaurants; an alarm clock in the room; HOT water in the jacuzzis outside, please!; and last but not least---front desk staff that get messages delivered to you promptly. We had booked a whale-shark tour that left at 6:00 AM. We got to the front lobby at 5:45. At 6:30, when no one had showed up for us, the front desk personnel made calls for us but could not reach the dive shop we were scheduled to go with. Upon further investigation with Pro Dive later that day, it turned out that Pro-Dive had tried to call our room several times the night before and could not reach us. They left a message with the front desk that due to bad weather, our excursion was cancelled, trusting that we would receive the message before that morning. Obviously, we never received the message. However, ProDive is reimbursing our money. I understand that humans make mistakes, but it was upsetting to get up so early, then to sit and wait for over an hour and no one show up. ProDive said that they had never had this problem before, so hopefully it was a one time mistake.
I have saved the best for last: the hostess ( I didn't get her name, but she deserves special recognition) at La Selva buffet on the evening of June 20th made a special effort for my husband and me. He requested (as a surprise for me) a special dessert for our 27th wedding anniversary and she made sure it happened! She brought me a delicious mini chocolate cake with a candle on it and "Happy 27th Anniversary" written in icing across it! The restaurant did that with only 20 minutes notice, so I was very impressed and touched by their kindness. The restaurant manager even came to ask me how the cake tasted and to wish us a happy anniversary. So, that pretty much made up for the cancelled tour mistake.
Would we stay here again? Yes! Overall we had a great experience and would not hesitate to return.

Denver, Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We just returned from a 10 day stay, & boy am I sad we had to leave. My husband & another couple went for our anniversaries & had just the best time. Check in was a breeze, got our yummy cocktail & we were checked in & off to our room in no time. It was my birthday & when we got to the room there was a cake waiting for me. Chocolate goodness I must say! We had another surprise in our room mid week when we came back to the room to find Champagne waiting for us. That must have been for our anniversary, but totally unexpected! The staff was all amazing, please tip like we did cause they sure all deserve it. Food was great. I would have like a little bit more variety in the morning, but what they had was good. It just didn't change up like the other buffets did. My husband's favorites were the Tapas & Mexican restaurants & mine were Tapas & the steakhouse, but all were good. We usually went to the Tequila bar after dinner & sometimes the lobby bar. We went to the pool party one night, but didn't stay cause it didn't look like too much was going on. Don't get me wrong the staff tried, it was the guests who were all just sitting like bumps on a log. We didn't go to the disco unitl the last night & I regretted not going before. I figured it would be all techno music going, but the DJ put on whatever we asked & we danced our butts off! Location was also great as well. So close to Alkumel, Xel-Ha, Xplorer we had some great adventures. We also went a bit down the beach & checked out the beach bar one day & had a great time there also. My husband got a great massage from a woman who sets up next door for $50. So, I'm sad my trip is done & over but next year I will be right there again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!