“The wedding was breathtaking!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
US
“The wedding was breathtaking!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We just got back last night from the CRT and I thought if I don't write this review right now.....it probably won't get done. This was our 3rd Catalonia (1 in Punta Cana, DR and the other was Riviera Maya). In our opinion, this was by far the best of the three. The food was better, the service was better, the beach was stunning! Our daughter got married at the CRT on 4/8. We dealt with Jacqueline and she did a fantastic job! Everything went as planned except for the photographer. She had an incident with the equipment and had to run all the way back to the photo shop for something. Any of you who have been there will know that this takes a bit of time. But she did "literally" run to get back to the ceremony and she compensated with some extra pictures. We had a group of 16 and they went out of their way to set us up in one of the restaurants for the reception dinner. Everything was excellent! I can't say enough about the service that the CRT staff provide. They all work very very hard and do their best to please you. We had a couple of room issues but they were resolved and the people were compensated for the inconvenience. The beach is phenomenal! We have been to Mexico several times and the beach at the CRT is the best we have seen! We had a junior suite in building number three and it was perfect, an easy walk in either direction for the lobby or the beach. If you are not into pool parties, I would not stay in buildings 5 or 6 for that reason. One of the other couples were kept up most of the night from the loud music. If you are a pool party person.......not a problem! :-) Seriously........I would go to the CRT again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

This property was incredible, beautiful, well run, clean and generally AWESOME! It was so relaxing. The staff is great and extremely helpful and friendly. The food wasn't the best I have had in my life, but very good and always readily available. Couple pieces of advice... Do NOT let them send you to another resort!!!! They ask everyone on arrival if they are willing to take a room at a sister resort for a night... Just don't... Say no... You may have to say it 3 times... Just be firm and deny the request. Check out the lunch buffet at the Royal Grill restaurant by the pool... I didn't discover it until our last day... Just didn't realize it was there. Book private transportation from the airport if you can swing it... Totally worth the expense! This resort is what most of the other reviews say and more. I will definitely be going back!

• Stayed April 2011
HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Dear Madam and Sir,

We would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We really appreciate your positive review, it's a pleasure to know that you had a good time here with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Giancarlo Dell’Erba
KANSAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I booked this trip in August 2010. I went through Expedia and paid the upgrade for the Junior Suite. After reading the reviews and the forums, I contacted the resort to upgrade to the Honeymoon Suite. This is the first time we were able to afford the best room package a resort had to offer. This was also for our 16th anniversary and I wanted to make it special. Two days before leaving I contacted the resort and confirmed everything was in place. I was assured it was. When we arrived at the resort, our first impression was WOW. We loved the lobby, the welcome drink, and the cooling towels. We were given our gold bands, and driven by a golf cart to room 5216. Those of you that know the resort understand how in demand this room is. There are two room on the property that have an ocean view in the distance. Room 6216 and this one. It was impressive we were given this room... One problem... not a honeymoon suite. No white linens, no rose petals, no champage,...nothing. So we tromp back up to the lobby (husband is anything but pleased with his "gift" at this point}. Once at the lobby we explain the error and show our paperwork. We were then told no mistake... they meant to give us that room. I was fine with that...like I said great room. but why weren't we told before hand? Then I asked about all the perks that comes with our package. We were told they do all that later incase we change our minds. That made no sense but we went with it. This brings me to the whole point of this review. We paid for the best this resort had to offer (we were not upgraded for free by going to another resort for a night) and felt they really missed the mark on the service this should provide. We never got the rose petals, the champage and glasses were set on the table (not in the nice chiller as shown in the hotel photos) and it was hot. My husband took the trash can, filled it with ice, and stuck the champage down in the can. Can you say romance? We did get chocolate covered strawberries which was nice and done well. Bottom line, the video shown in the lobby and on the website is not what we received. Next was the couples massage. You have two choices... the beach (slammed right in the middle of a sea of loungers) or the spa. We chose the spa and made an appointment. When we get there we are told it will be two individual rooms not the couples room. Again... this is not what we paid for. Great massage though. The dinner on the beach was wonderful. They could invest in bigger chairs. My husband is 6'2" and was anything but comfortable. The next statement does not reflect the resort, it is for fellow travelers. DO NOT PARK YOUR REAR IN A LOUNGER RIGHT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE HAVING A ROMANTIC DINNER ON THE BEACH! About half way through our dinner, this happened. Icing on the cake, in the middle of the loud drunkin conversation they were having, they decided it would be a good idea to take our picture. I felt like an animal on display at the zoo. The food was some of the best we have had at any all inclusive. The beach is incredible. The pool area is wonderful. The bathrooms at the pool area were always spotless. The only thing that held us back from saying this is the best place we have ever stayed was the missed mark on service. This did seem to improve later in the week. They were starting to get to know us at that point and we saw marked improvement. Some of the people that were impressive was Carlos... who we never had to ask twice for anything. Jose our beach waiter, and Marko Polo on the Hobie Cat. I don't want to make people think we did not have a good time... WE HAD A GREAT TIME... but I think the resort needs to know they are missing a mark. This is not a price point issue... this is polishing what you are already offing to make it a great experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam and Sir,

We appreciate your positive commentaries although we truly regret not having been able to fulfill all your expectations, we highly appreciate your opinion and we will definitely follow up your review.

Giancarlo Dell’Erba
Huntsville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Just got back from CRT. Stayed March 31 - April 7. What a fantastic trip. Travelled with my wife and another couple. If you are looking for the party scene and great night life, this is NOT the spot for you. I read the reviews extensively and some are spot on while others are just ridiculously wrong and written by someone just looking for something to complain about. This one will be objective and hopefully helpful for those looking for some advice.

Check-in: This was a breeze. We arrived, had cool drink handed to us, got our rooms, and had our bags delivered to our room, all inside of 15 minutes. Can't be any better.

Rooms: We had a standard room, king-size bed (as requested) in building 5 (as requested) on the ground floor.(not as requested) The room was spacious, bright and clean. I think those that complained about a dark room never opened their curtains or something. We were on the ground floor and never had a issue. The reason I had asked to not be on the ground floor is because at other resorts there is usually people walking right past your room making noise ( I am a very light sleeper) and simply compromising your privacy. Not so here! I never heard a single person going by due to the space between the building and the pathway with lush jungle vegetation in between. The bathroom was great with a HUGE shower. Lots of towels, fridge stocked daily, and maid service impeccable. I hate hard beds and mine was fine. Pillows were great.

Food: The fact that you didn't have to line up in the morning to reserve a specific restaurant, like many other places, was brilliant. We just met with the other couple we were travelling with at the lobby bar and decided from there were to go. We tried all the restaurants and they were fantastic. I don't know if they got new chefs or other people writing the reveiws were just off their rocker but the food, presentation, portions and service were 5 star, hands down. The only thing that got me was the seats at Tapas. Those big chairs look so comfy but they were awkward. Food and outdoor setting was great though. The buffet food, was, buffet food. Breakfast was good and I love the omlette station. Very good lunch selection and they did have a dinner buffet which is apparently fairly new because earlier reviews complained about no dinner buffet. Problem solved. The only buffet food I found better from our other 3 resorts we've been to was at the Riu Tequila but at the Tequila they know they need to make up for not being right on the beach somehow and the food was how they did it.

Pool and Beach: This beach is by far the best beach I've ever seen. The sand is powder soft and in the water it is hard packed with no rocks until out further than you would normally go. Lots of palm trees to provide shade, along with the palapas, but still plenty of area for catching some sun. The pool is beautiful. Overly big with plenty of room. Be prepared to get up early and save a chair with your towel. You absolutely must do this BEFORE you go breakfast if you want a spot of choice. Our first two days were no problem and then the resort got busy. They really need to have more loungers available. We relaxed in the chill zone most every day in the late afternoon and it was fantastic. Totally relaxing. What a great amenity!!

Overall: A great resort. Not huge but certainly big enough. More personal. The do have a large number of Europeans and especially travellers from Italy as it seems like CRT has partnered up with a travel rep (Veraclub?) from there. I'm a totally advid non-smoker and the smoling was never an issue. Catch a wiff every now and again but no different than any other resort. No smoking at the restaurants which was nice too. The staff is excellent and friendly. Many of the servers and staff speak 3 and 4 languages so communication is not an issue. The best drinks are made at the lobby bar.

If you like to snorkel there is some, but not much, in front of the resort and mainly over by the fishing boats (Tachos boat) If you snorkel then you must go to Akumal for a day. Just down the road. Take a cab ($16), your towel, grab a few beer and water from the room and go. The snorkelling is fantastic with lots of seaturtles, coral, smaller fish and rays. Just go out from the dive shop on the beach.

This resort is not quite a 5 star in my opinion from just a few little things, but it is definately 4+. We will be back!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at CRT March 20-March 26. We have been to Mexico one other time and loved the resort we had stayed in previously, but unfortunately due to a last minute decision to go, and spring break the resort was booked. Our travel agent booked us at CRT instead and after reading some of the past reviews, we were a little apprehensive. Here is our honest opinion about our trip...

Travel:
Smooth flights down to Cancun, and easy transfer from the airport with only one other couple to drop off ahead of us, and one after us. When we arrived the staff immediately greeted us, took our bags and brought us to the front desk. Check in was an absolute breeze unlike many of the other reviews I have read. We were greeted with cool towels, cocktails and very prompt service. We were taken to our Junior Suite #2001 via golf cart and given a short debriefing. *When you arrive at your room, you have to keep a key in a small box near the door for the lights and air conditioning to function. We left one key in the box the whole time, so that we could keep the air on low and a couple of lights on when leaving in the evening.

Room:
I would consider myself to be somewhat of a hotel snob after growing up staying in some of the nicest hotels around. Our travel agent booked us with a junior suite from the get go because she knows I enjoy upgraded rooms. After passing by a regular room, I am glad we had the upgrade. My overall impression of our junior suite was it was nice and very clean. We were on the ground floor which I was a bit concerned about from previous reviews, and I will agree that the lighting in the room could be improved but I never felt that it was too dark in the room. We were never in our room during the day, so it didn't matter too much to us about the floor we were on. One thing we did notice if you didn't keep the air conditioning on it was very humid and stale upon return to the room. The bed was firm, but pillows were soft - the pillow menu is a nice touch. The bathroom was decent size but it would have been nice to have some kind of shelving underneath the vanity to store toiletries and cosmetics. The shower was large and had nice pressure, but I was slightly disappointed that there was no bathtub.

Food and drinks:
We tried every restaurant at CRT and every one was good. There wasn't one that stood out to us, and nothing that was overly fabulous but we never had a disappointing meal. One great thing about CRT was the poolside pizza! We loved grabbing a couple slices of the thin crust pizza and some of the fresh chips and salsa as a snack while laying out! All of the drinks we tried were great. We are both huge fans of mojitos and the lobby bar made a FABULOUS one! We tipped one of the servers by the beach $5.00 one day and she kept the drinks coming one after the other all day long, every day she saw us. Room service wasn't very good. Service was quick, but the day we got back from Tulum we decided to order the chicken Caesar salad and they arrived with the dressing feeling very "warm" like it had been sitting out. We opted to not eat them because we were a little nervous.

Service:
The service we had at CRT was outstanding! Every server at the bar, restaurants, pool/beach were absolutely fabulous to us. Even though gratuities were included in our package, we gave most everyone a little extra due to the wonderful service. Make sure if you are at the lobby bar to visit with Ricardo and Marina they were our FAVORITES!

Spa:
We had an 80 minute couples massage that was spectucular. The spa was beautiful, and the room they put us in for the couples massage was wonderful. Esmerelda did my massage and it was one of the best I have EVER had. We would HIGHLY recommend a spa treatment while you are there. The room was full of candles, and had a beautiful private jacuzzi to enjoy after the massage.

Pool/Beach:
The pool was gorgeous...perfect temperature. The "towel game" was in full effect, but we never had a hard time finding a spot, even if we went down around 11am. A couple of times we had to move lounge chairs around to get two next to each other, but it really wasn't a big deal. We didn't spend as much time at the pool, mostly by the beach. The beach area was very nice, and once again we never had a difficult time finding chairs. A perfect vacation to me is an amazing tropical location, good drinks, and laying by the beach all day long...

Nightlife:
If you are looking for a hotel with a lot of nightlife, this is NOT the place for you! We never went to any of the shows as that isn't really our thing...we enjoyed spending time after dinner at the lobby bar. We made friends with another couple and would usually meet up after dinner for a couple of drinks. Just like everyone else said, there are many foreigners. Some people were rude, but for the most part we just stuck to ourselves.

Day trip:
We did one excursion to Tulum to see the ruins. We booked our trip in the lobby, which was convenient and only $38/person. There was A LOT of people in Tulum and I didn't care for our tour guide. Seeing the ruins was fascinating and the beach is breathtaking. If we were to go back there we decided we would rather go on our own.

Overall:
A very relaxing, romantic getaway which was exactly what we were hoping for. If you are looking to book a secluded, quiet trip CRT would be a great option. We thought the resort was beautiful, especially at night walking through the pathways cut through the jungle. There were lots of iguanas and coatis roaming around which added to the overall ambience. If you are looking for more nightlife and activites, this wouldn't be a great choice. I feel there are pros and cons to every hotel you stay at, and overall I don't have anything too negative to say. After staying there, I am surprised at some of the other very negative reviews. If you book a stay at CRT enjoy...we definitely did!

Room Tip: Junior suite
HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
Dear Madam/Sir,

Giancarlo Dell'Erba
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We just returned from a week at the Catalonia and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice for our vacation. The staff was incredible--so friendly and always gave us great service. We loved Jose', the activities director who made us feel so welcome. The pool area is gorgeous, overlooking the great beach and ocean. The size of the resort was perfect for us, not too large , like some resorts with long distances between the room, restaurants, and beach. We found the diversity of people to be a real plus, meeting people from all over the world. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We thought the restaurants provided a good variety of food of good quality. If you're looking for great nightly entertainment, this is probably not the place for you. There is some nightly entertainment, but it's not top notch. The Spa was the icing on the cake for us -- great massages-- a must if you go there!!

HCRT, Manager at Catalonia Royal Tulum, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
Dear Madam/Sir,

Giancarlo Dell'Erba
Menomonie, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This resort is for you if you like the "Older" crowd. It is a very small resort. Most of the people there are over 45 and many, many europeans! Americans are the minority here. The staff is awesome and speak 3-4 languages.It was not crowded and most people are in bed by 10 - 11pm. Plenty of activities and vendors. Only 4 resturants and the food was good. It's not a 5 star, but good value for your money. Beach is by far the best I have seen, unless your looking for shells etc. We have been to the Dominican and many places in Mexico, and it was what we were looking for in regards to a quiet, relaxed resort. You don't need tickets to eat here at the resturants, but if you want Lobster or bottles of wine, you will be charged! We didn't like that, but again, its not a 5 star resort so it was ok.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!