“Great Resort for a Relaxing Adult Only Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

You added Catalonia Royal Tulum to your Saves list
Catalonia Royal Tulum
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Chetumal Km. 264.5, Xpuha 77790, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Xpuha
Huntsville, Canada
“Great Resort for a Relaxing Adult Only Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Just got back from CRT. Stayed March 31 - April 7. What a fantastic trip. Travelled with my wife and another couple. If you are looking for the party scene and great night life, this is NOT the spot for you. I read the reviews extensively and some are spot on while others are just ridiculously wrong and written by someone just looking for something to complain about. This one will be objective and hopefully helpful for those looking for some advice.

Check-in: This was a breeze. We arrived, had cool drink handed to us, got our rooms, and had our bags delivered to our room, all inside of 15 minutes. Can't be any better.

Rooms: We had a standard room, king-size bed (as requested) in building 5 (as requested) on the ground floor.(not as requested) The room was spacious, bright and clean. I think those that complained about a dark room never opened their curtains or something. We were on the ground floor and never had a issue. The reason I had asked to not be on the ground floor is because at other resorts there is usually people walking right past your room making noise ( I am a very light sleeper) and simply compromising your privacy. Not so here! I never heard a single person going by due to the space between the building and the pathway with lush jungle vegetation in between. The bathroom was great with a HUGE shower. Lots of towels, fridge stocked daily, and maid service impeccable. I hate hard beds and mine was fine. Pillows were great.

Food: The fact that you didn't have to line up in the morning to reserve a specific restaurant, like many other places, was brilliant. We just met with the other couple we were travelling with at the lobby bar and decided from there were to go. We tried all the restaurants and they were fantastic. I don't know if they got new chefs or other people writing the reveiws were just off their rocker but the food, presentation, portions and service were 5 star, hands down. The only thing that got me was the seats at Tapas. Those big chairs look so comfy but they were awkward. Food and outdoor setting was great though. The buffet food, was, buffet food. Breakfast was good and I love the omlette station. Very good lunch selection and they did have a dinner buffet which is apparently fairly new because earlier reviews complained about no dinner buffet. Problem solved. The only buffet food I found better from our other 3 resorts we've been to was at the Riu Tequila but at the Tequila they know they need to make up for not being right on the beach somehow and the food was how they did it.

Pool and Beach: This beach is by far the best beach I've ever seen. The sand is powder soft and in the water it is hard packed with no rocks until out further than you would normally go. Lots of palm trees to provide shade, along with the palapas, but still plenty of area for catching some sun. The pool is beautiful. Overly big with plenty of room. Be prepared to get up early and save a chair with your towel. You absolutely must do this BEFORE you go breakfast if you want a spot of choice. Our first two days were no problem and then the resort got busy. They really need to have more loungers available. We relaxed in the chill zone most every day in the late afternoon and it was fantastic. Totally relaxing. What a great amenity!!

Overall: A great resort. Not huge but certainly big enough. More personal. The do have a large number of Europeans and especially travellers from Italy as it seems like CRT has partnered up with a travel rep (Veraclub?) from there. I'm a totally advid non-smoker and the smoling was never an issue. Catch a wiff every now and again but no different than any other resort. No smoking at the restaurants which was nice too. The staff is excellent and friendly. Many of the servers and staff speak 3 and 4 languages so communication is not an issue. The best drinks are made at the lobby bar.

If you like to snorkel there is some, but not much, in front of the resort and mainly over by the fishing boats (Tachos boat) If you snorkel then you must go to Akumal for a day. Just down the road. Take a cab ($16), your towel, grab a few beer and water from the room and go. The snorkelling is fantastic with lots of seaturtles, coral, smaller fish and rays. Just go out from the dive shop on the beach.

This resort is not quite a 5 star in my opinion from just a few little things, but it is definately 4+. We will be back!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at CRT March 20-March 26. We have been to Mexico one other time and loved the resort we had stayed in previously, but unfortunately due to a last minute decision to go, and spring break the resort was booked. Our travel agent booked us at CRT instead and after reading some of the past reviews, we were a little apprehensive. Here is our honest opinion about our trip...

Travel:
Smooth flights down to Cancun, and easy transfer from the airport with only one other couple to drop off ahead of us, and one after us. When we arrived the staff immediately greeted us, took our bags and brought us to the front desk. Check in was an absolute breeze unlike many of the other reviews I have read. We were greeted with cool towels, cocktails and very prompt service. We were taken to our Junior Suite #2001 via golf cart and given a short debriefing. *When you arrive at your room, you have to keep a key in a small box near the door for the lights and air conditioning to function. We left one key in the box the whole time, so that we could keep the air on low and a couple of lights on when leaving in the evening.

Room:
I would consider myself to be somewhat of a hotel snob after growing up staying in some of the nicest hotels around. Our travel agent booked us with a junior suite from the get go because she knows I enjoy upgraded rooms. After passing by a regular room, I am glad we had the upgrade. My overall impression of our junior suite was it was nice and very clean. We were on the ground floor which I was a bit concerned about from previous reviews, and I will agree that the lighting in the room could be improved but I never felt that it was too dark in the room. We were never in our room during the day, so it didn't matter too much to us about the floor we were on. One thing we did notice if you didn't keep the air conditioning on it was very humid and stale upon return to the room. The bed was firm, but pillows were soft - the pillow menu is a nice touch. The bathroom was decent size but it would have been nice to have some kind of shelving underneath the vanity to store toiletries and cosmetics. The shower was large and had nice pressure, but I was slightly disappointed that there was no bathtub.

Food and drinks:
We tried every restaurant at CRT and every one was good. There wasn't one that stood out to us, and nothing that was overly fabulous but we never had a disappointing meal. One great thing about CRT was the poolside pizza! We loved grabbing a couple slices of the thin crust pizza and some of the fresh chips and salsa as a snack while laying out! All of the drinks we tried were great. We are both huge fans of mojitos and the lobby bar made a FABULOUS one! We tipped one of the servers by the beach $5.00 one day and she kept the drinks coming one after the other all day long, every day she saw us. Room service wasn't very good. Service was quick, but the day we got back from Tulum we decided to order the chicken Caesar salad and they arrived with the dressing feeling very "warm" like it had been sitting out. We opted to not eat them because we were a little nervous.

Service:
The service we had at CRT was outstanding! Every server at the bar, restaurants, pool/beach were absolutely fabulous to us. Even though gratuities were included in our package, we gave most everyone a little extra due to the wonderful service. Make sure if you are at the lobby bar to visit with Ricardo and Marina they were our FAVORITES!

Spa:
We had an 80 minute couples massage that was spectucular. The spa was beautiful, and the room they put us in for the couples massage was wonderful. Esmerelda did my massage and it was one of the best I have EVER had. We would HIGHLY recommend a spa treatment while you are there. The room was full of candles, and had a beautiful private jacuzzi to enjoy after the massage.

Pool/Beach:
The pool was gorgeous...perfect temperature. The "towel game" was in full effect, but we never had a hard time finding a spot, even if we went down around 11am. A couple of times we had to move lounge chairs around to get two next to each other, but it really wasn't a big deal. We didn't spend as much time at the pool, mostly by the beach. The beach area was very nice, and once again we never had a difficult time finding chairs. A perfect vacation to me is an amazing tropical location, good drinks, and laying by the beach all day long...

Nightlife:
If you are looking for a hotel with a lot of nightlife, this is NOT the place for you! We never went to any of the shows as that isn't really our thing...we enjoyed spending time after dinner at the lobby bar. We made friends with another couple and would usually meet up after dinner for a couple of drinks. Just like everyone else said, there are many foreigners. Some people were rude, but for the most part we just stuck to ourselves.

Day trip:
We did one excursion to Tulum to see the ruins. We booked our trip in the lobby, which was convenient and only $38/person. There was A LOT of people in Tulum and I didn't care for our tour guide. Seeing the ruins was fascinating and the beach is breathtaking. If we were to go back there we decided we would rather go on our own.

Overall:
A very relaxing, romantic getaway which was exactly what we were hoping for. If you are looking to book a secluded, quiet trip CRT would be a great option. We thought the resort was beautiful, especially at night walking through the pathways cut through the jungle. There were lots of iguanas and coatis roaming around which added to the overall ambience. If you are looking for more nightlife and activites, this wouldn't be a great choice. I feel there are pros and cons to every hotel you stay at, and overall I don't have anything too negative to say. After staying there, I am surprised at some of the other very negative reviews. If you book a stay at CRT enjoy...we definitely did!

Room Tip: Junior suite
Dear Madam/Sir,

We would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We really appreciate your positive review, it's a pleasure to know that you had a good time here with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We just returned from a week at the Catalonia and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice for our vacation. The staff was incredible--so friendly and always gave us great service. We loved Jose', the activities director who made us feel so welcome. The pool area is gorgeous, overlooking the great beach and ocean. The size of the resort was perfect for us, not too large , like some resorts with long distances between the room, restaurants, and beach. We found the diversity of people to be a real plus, meeting people from all over the world. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We thought the restaurants provided a good variety of food of good quality. If you're looking for great nightly entertainment, this is probably not the place for you. There is some nightly entertainment, but it's not top notch. The Spa was the icing on the cake for us -- great massages-- a must if you go there!!

Menomonie, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This resort is for you if you like the "Older" crowd. It is a very small resort. Most of the people there are over 45 and many, many europeans! Americans are the minority here. The staff is awesome and speak 3-4 languages.It was not crowded and most people are in bed by 10 - 11pm. Plenty of activities and vendors. Only 4 resturants and the food was good. It's not a 5 star, but good value for your money. Beach is by far the best I have seen, unless your looking for shells etc. We have been to the Dominican and many places in Mexico, and it was what we were looking for in regards to a quiet, relaxed resort. You don't need tickets to eat here at the resturants, but if you want Lobster or bottles of wine, you will be charged! We didn't like that, but again, its not a 5 star resort so it was ok.

New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

We stayed at the CAT from March 5-12th...I often read these reviews before deciding on a resort so I thought it was time I wrote one too...

We arrived at lunch and as expected our room was not ready until 3 but that was no problem as we simply went to lunch, then the beach...

I will try and keep this as short as possible:

I couldn't believe how quiet this resort was. It was the most relaxing 7 days I have ever had at a resort.

Beach - absolutely beautiful, no problem to find a lounge chair on the beach. If you want a chair by the pool then that is a different story...you will have to get up very early for that...we prefer the beach so it was not a problem for us.

Food - very, good but not quite 5 star if that is what you want...we especially enjoyed the various restaurants without having to make a reservation which you have to do at most other resorts. We ate at the Mexican, Spanish, Italian and the Steak house restaurants. The only one we did not like was the Mexican believe it or not.

Rooms - very nice and clean, but this is not a brand new resort. A little tip for the girls would get you anything extra you wanted.

Staff - excellent, they were always very accomodating and pleasant. They work very hard to make sure you have everything you want.

Entertainment - sucked !!! But we didn't go to mexico to see a nightly show at our resort.

Pool - very nice and relaxing. Plenty big for the size of the resort.

3 Hottubs overlooking the beach - very relaxing.

Location of the resort - very isolated but we took he Collectivo (Van type taxi's) to Playa Del Carmen to shop. This was $2 per person and by doing this you get to experience some of the culture of the area.

Adult only resort - we love our kids but is was very nice to get away from all kids for 1 week.

The CAT is a very small and quiet resort. If you want to get away to a place that is unbelievably quiet and tranquil, then this is the place. We will be going back for sure...

I hope this helps.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We just came back from our 5-day stay in CRT. I'll write my review now when all these memories are still fresh in my head.
A little feedback before getting into this: We're from NewYork in our early 30's getting away from the city routine and our first trip to Mexico.

The trip from the airport was via Best Day Travel. I was afraid of the wait from reading other posts but it took us 10 minutes before we got into the van and headed out. The drive was approx. 1 hr & 30 min, we had another couple ahead of us but it wasn't much of a detour since their hotel was along the way.

When we arrived, we were greeted with a glass of cocktail which was nice. I booked the standard room but decided to upgrade to the junior suite. Let me stop here briefly, since I've read the prior reviews about upgrading.

If you were to ask me now if the upgrade was worthwhile - my answer would be totally.
Staying 4 nights would mean paying $200 (50 per couple / night) for the upgrade.
What are the perks? 30 minute massage, romantic dinner on the beach, bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, access to the spa, bigger & nicer rooms.

If your idea of a vacation is to simply eat, lie at the beach/swimming pool, drink, eat more and come back to your room to sleep, i'd say it's not necessary for the upgrade..
However, if you want to add a little more touch and romance, go with the upgrade =) Yes it's not cheap but still worth it nonetheless.

Because we arrived at noon, we were told the room wasn't ready and to come back after lunch. That worked out fine.
With the upgrade, we were placed in Building 5 which is closest to the beach area. The walk through the 'jungle' path was relaxing and peaceful. Iguanas, birds, 'racoon monkey' furry creatures as some called it, bats, fish.
The Junior Suite was nice - very roomy with comfortable bed. Champagne & chocolate strawberries, clean bathroom.
3 water bottles were given per day but a little note and tip left us with about 8 bottles a day. We used it to drink and also to brush our teeth. (We did not get sick from the food or water fortunately).

Food is another big issue for everyone. Lucky for us, we're not picky eaters so the food was satisfactory & good most of the times. Do not expect any gourmet meals else you will be disappointed. While there are many selections, after a while, they start tasting the same. As with any buffet, you have food allover the plate and eventually it'll just be one big pile. Besides, have your unlimited glass of wine & beer, you'll forget all about it.

Beach was clean and gorgeous. It was a bit windy at times but that didn't stop us from leaving the area. The shade is VERY limited and you'll have to fight for it. I've seen towels being placed at the 'desired' spots as early as 5:30AM. OTher than that, there were always empty loungers around the beach. I couldn't say the same about the pool area, it seems like those were never available until late in the afternoon.
Yes, majority of the guests were European but everyone is there to relax and have a good time like us. If you are looking for a particular spot in the beach or pool, it would be advisable to do so by 6am. (or tip the staff beforehand and have them reserve the spot for you).

Staff was extremely friendly from the start:
Isabella & Valeria on the front desk were great.
I remember Juan from breakfast / lunch that was on top of everything. Coffee & Wine glasses were filled before they were empty. Geez, these guys work hard and I can't say anything negative about the staff. Drinks were served at the beach throughout & food always being available. I must have easily gained 15lbs from this trip.

Outside of CRT, we spent the day walking around the shopping areas in Playa Del Carmen.
We also signed up for the Xtreme Snorkel trip which consists of ziplining, rapelling, snorkeling at Akumal with the sea turtles. !

If you don't want to spend the money, at least take the collectivo/public van outside the hotel for a few bucks to Akumal and snorkel on your own. you'll come across the sea turtles and coral reefs. Absolutely a must! We brought our own mask & snorkel but they have it available for rent in the area.

To sum it all up, the resort is no where near the nicest resort we saw around. As a matter of fact, we were a bit nervous at how old the place & rundown CRT looked at first. But once we settled, we could care less about the appearance. the beach was gorgeous, staff was great, food was acceptable, people mind their own business (we love children but not having them around was AWESOME), amenities were great, activities were always encouraged.

Would we recommend to others, sure! However, if you're looking for the mega resort with all sorts of amenities, high tech facilities, top notch food this isn't for you. This is the humble, warming, cozy resort that you'll come to appreciate.

...........................
I do want to go back to the upgrade and reiterate why it was worth it:
The massage was excellent and much needed from all the activities.
In the evening, it did get a bit chilly so we'd go to the spa and sit in the steam room/hot tub to destress.
The romantic dinner is on the beach in the shaded platform/gazebo (during the day, it's where massages are given). This was a private dinner away from all the crowd and everything was very special and romantic indeed. We had our own server who accomodated to all our needs. I can say this itself was worth the upgrade.

Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Bottom line is that we felt they didn't have enough facilities to accommodate the number of people at the resort when we were there. We go to all inclusive resorts in this area for two primary reasons - so we don't have to worry about where we will eat and to relax on the beach. We couldn't do either at the Catalonia Royal Tulum.

First, you had to plan/strategize when you would eat at the breakfast or lunch buffet. Unless you planned it just right (or got lucky) you can expect to wait upwards of 30 minutes to have a buffet meal.

They don't own a lot of beach front property (you look through a sea of people to see the sea), they don't have enough shade structures or enough chairs to accommodate their guests. If you want a chair with a shade structure you need to be on the beach by 6. If you want a chair you better be there by 9.

We did not have a very relaxing vacation - we had to work too hard for meals and for a spot on the beach. We have stayed (for less money) at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal twice and much prefer it. We regret that we didn't go back there.

Dear Madam/Sir,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal Tulum for your vacation; the opinion of our Guests is of the utmost importance to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We truly regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations, we would like to inform you that we took note of your commentaries and we regret the inconveniences experienced. We are going to apply corrective measures that are necessary in order to avoid similar problems in the future. Service quality is our major concern in the Resort so we really do appreciate any comment that helps us to improve our service standards.

We really hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations and demonstrate that our commitment towards your satisfaction is a reality and not mere words.

Best Regards,
Giancarlo Dell'Erba

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!