“7 fabulous visits and still counting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Carolina

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Casa Carolina
You added Casa Carolina to your Saves list
Beach road "Calle Costero" | 2 kms north of Xcalak pueblo, Xcalak 77940, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Xcalak B&B and Inns
Anchorage, Alaska
“7 fabulous visits and still counting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We discovered Xcalak 10 years ago and always look forward to the next stay with Bob and Caroline. Always feels as if we're visiting old friends. Being from Alaska, we relish the peace, quiet and remote beauty of the area, in addition to the great fly-fishing. Also highly recommend at least one meal at The Leaky Palapa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
comox bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We spent 16 days at casa caolina and wish we were still there, The owners were wonderful the breakfasts were perfect and the other guests were charming and great to hang out with. We snorkeled fished(lots of bonefish and permit at low prices) and totally loved using the bikes. The produce trucks were awesome and the local stores were more than adequate for basics. We'll be back next year if we're lucky. While "its not for everyone-the towns motto" if you want to enjoy nature fishing and a very friendly safe area at a wonderful place GO!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Never before have we returned to a vacation spot, even though we have visited some fabulous places. But we see ourselves staying at Casa Carolina for years to come.  Our room had a wide view off the balcony.  Having access to the kayaks is so perfect, as we can get out to the reefs whenever we want.  We haven't stopped talking about all our sightings while snorkeling! Spotted eagle rays, dolphins, electric ray, turtles, a giant lobster, squid, and the moray eel were the new finds this time.  The bikes were great to explore and to grab lunch in the village. We enjoyed the company and laughs with Bob and Caroline and the other guests especially during happy hour and breakfast in the palapa. Our room and the grounds were cleaned and straightened every day - we appreciated all the help from Hortencia, Carlos, Jose, and Rosa. We also like having the kitchen if we want to eat in. We can't say enough about how comfortable we feel here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review for anything but my experiences at Casa Carolina compelled my first ever review!

I recently returned from my third trip to Casa Carolina and I don't often return to the same place twice. The first trip was with my significant other, the second time I brought my parents as well as my aunt and uncle, and this past trip I traveled solo. The only disappointment I have ever had is when I realize it's time to go home (the dreaded end of vacation depression). Simply put Casa Carolina is a special place, in a special part of the Yucatan, and I can't wait for my next trip. Bob and Caroline (the owners) are exceptional hosts and even better people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were so glad we found Xcalak. We stayed there as the second stop in our honeymoon (after some time in Tulum) and loved it - it has a population of about 200 (not including dogs) and a very laid back vibe. Casa Carolina is a great platform to enjoy it. The rooms are on the beach 50m from the waterfront, Carolina bakes incredible breakfast muffins (what a great way to start the day) and Bob and Carolina are both warm and discrete as hosts - they somehow managed to give us space but were also there when we had questions. And we certainly didn't mind not having air con or microwaves - in fact we loved that Casa Carolina is off the grid in that sense. A particular highlight for me was diving with Bob, who is an underwater veteran. I learned so much from him even during the short time we had on the boat and underwater. We also borrowed a kayak to snorkel on the reef edge. You can also borrow bikes from Bob and Caroline and ride into town - takes about 15 minutes to get there and you can ride around it in about 10. There are some great little restaurants to try. Sylvia's has amazing lobster - I had two in one sitting and you can sit outside. She's not on tripadvisor and not always open but worth seeking out.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a great stay at Casa Carolina and I honestly can't think of a
single suggestion that would have made it better. We traveled
throughout the Yucatan and the whole trip was beyond
expectation. But without a doubt, Xcalak was our favorite place,
and Casa Carolina was fantastic. The rooms were great, the snorkeling
was fantastic, the view was incomparable, and Bob and Caroline were
great hosts. I hope to make it down that way again in the not too
distant future.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. We like the first floor
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend was always talking about Xcalak and Casa Carolina and how much he loved vacationing there ... what I couldn't understand is why you'd want to go to the same place year after year? Well, now I know ... Casa Carolina is a perfect place in a perfect location.

Unlike Cancun and most of the Riviera Maya, which is so overbuilt it's unbearable, Xcalak is a small, sleepy town. The locals are friendly and there are very few tourists.

From the minute we arrived at Casa Carolina and were greeted by Caroline and Tootsie (their adorable dog) to the day we left (when my boyfriend had to drag me out of the palapa) I was brimming with joy.

The rooms are simple, comfortable and very clean. Each room has a small kitchen, which is where we cooked most of our meals using local ingredients bought from the food trucks, which pass by Casa Carolina every few days. Nothing like fresh pico de gallo with a margarita after a day of diving!

Bob - a master diver extraordinaire - was gracious enough to go diving with us and we had an absolute blast. Luis - local boat captain and diver - was also great and we always looked forward to our excursions with him. Both the diving and snorkeling are fantastic - right off the end of the dock we saw rays, barracudas, needle fish and many others. The water was a consistent 82 degrees and very clear ... truly spectacular.

When we weren't in the water we were enjoying the amazing view of the water from the beach or from our room. Because there are only four rooms plus the owners, it's always very quiet and you have plenty of privacy.

Twice we had dinner at the Leaky Palapa - excellent - and one day we spent an afternoon in town where we enjoyed Lion Fish ceviche at Toby's (it's a must-try dish!).

And now it's my turn to declare that I'll be back ... again and again and again ... it's an absolutely lovely place to spend a week (or two).

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a great view so you can't go wrong - top floor rooms have a bit more priva...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Carolina? Share your experiences!