“Lovely character hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Meson del Marques

You added El Meson del Marques to your Saves list
El Meson del Marques
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 39 No. 203 x 40 y 42 | Centro Historico, Valladolid 97780, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Valladolid
London
“Lovely character hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We took a superior room as advised and weren't disappointed. The room was large and comfortable and had good air con. The hotel is in a great location on the main town square and has huge old Spanish colonial charm. We ate there one night and the food was ok not amazing but was in a lovely courtyard and we had a lovely evening.
Chichen Itza is easily accessible and the hotel has a good secure car park.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for superior
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Marlboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here with the family for two nights. The hotel is in an excellent location at the town square. It has on-site parking which made it convenient and there was a 24 hour security guard for the parking entrance. The hotel has a nice historic character and the included breakfast options were good.

The rooms on the other hand were small. While the beds were clean the bathroom had a foul smell all the time and the tub/shower seem to be falling apart a bit. The WiFi connection was also spotty. I liked the location and the overall hotel, but would try to find another place as I do not appreciate a foul smelling bathroom.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

the palace is colonial style and very charming as well as the typical garden full of flowers. we were there on new year's eve and the dinner was typical Yucatan with disches from the ancient tradition full of interesting flavors and aromas.Music also was live with a local band: graet! the drinks were first class especially the Margarita cocktail that was the best I've ever had. There is a pool in the palace well kept as are the rooms that are confy and at thesame time with typical features. free wifi and excellent speed. The breakfast is both American or Yucatan, always with excellent quality fruit. the hotel is perfect: in the main square where there is a Spanish church and the park with market. definitely a unique experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Good:
This is a nice, modern (and deceptively large) hotel in the center of Valladolid. Its location is perfect, being right across the street from the main square and cathedral. Even though it was in the center of town it was very quiet because all the hotel is arranged like a hacienda (basically the building surrounds the common areas like the pool, so all the noise is blocked out. It is in walking distance to a lot of sights in town (like Cenote Zaki). The BEST part is that the restaurant serves amazing food! When you are there try the Diablo Chicken.
The "not so good:
The only fault I can think of was that the beds were really firm ... actually more like concrete. Also the pillows are paper-thin ... more like napkins. I would advise bringing a blow-up pillow!

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the pool. If your room is over the restaurant then you will be woken up by the s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from a visit to Vallaldolid to search for custom wood furniture in the surrounding area for my villas. After dinner and hopping on the highway I heard an odd noise from my car so I was forced to stay the night and wait till daylight to see a mechanic. I tried to make the best of it and decided I mine as well enjoy myself and stay at a nice historic hotel. From the look of the grounds, lobby and restaurant I was sure I came to the right place. Checked in and the AC did not work so I reported the problem. The guy played with the remote for awhile and said it worked. I waited and it did not work so I called the lobby again and they said they would change my room. The next room was a bit older it seemed and had two beds instead of the king I asked for and an AC that was extremely outdated. The AC was a box type with no remote and too high to change the temperature. I was instructed that if I was to need to shut it off all I need to do is shut off the breaker. So throughout the night I spent turning on and off the breaker between freezing and sweating on the stone hard beds. I finally got to a point where I was sleeping okay at 5 in the morning. And at 8:15 they were hammering on the outside of one of my walls. Needless to say I was not too happy. I run a luxury rental business here in Mexico and am familiar with things breaking and complaints... so I was very nice when asking to speak to the Manager. The desk staff smirked and kept asking what I wanted them to do and repeated "Sorry Lady". I told them I am not looking for a freebee but they need to know that if they are going to charge close to $100 USD for a room the interior needs to be up to par and their services. I told them I would rather speak to a Manager to see if she had more to say or even offer me. I explained to the Manager that normally I would be upgraded to a better room or free breakfast or something for my trouble, like I would offer to my guests of my homes. They did not and would not offer anything except a discount for my next stay. I told her I was not happy and I surely would not be staying at the hotel again. She smiled and said, "Sorry Lady". Word to the wise if you are looking for a stunning hotel that mimics the beautiful common areas outside - look further because you are better off staying at the many other hotels that are half the price around.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We recently stayed for 2 nights in room number 510. Really nice big room with 2 Juliet balconies overlooking the pool area and another large deck overlooking the town square and church. The church from this deck at night when it is all lit up is quite lovely. Very large corner room with sitting area and huge bathroom ( shower only ).
They give you 2 bottles of water in the room free but once they are gone you buy your own. You also have to pay for everything as you get it you can't just put it on your room as in other hotels.
We enjoyed the restaurant . They make some of the dishes right at your table which is kind of cool.
The hotel is in the Center of most things we wanted to see so we could walk to it all . We did a walking tour right from the hotel including cenote Zaci. Lots of shops and restaurants right outside your door.
Wi fi is free but didn't work much in the room.
Chichen Itza is only 40 Kms away So the hotel works as a base to see the ruins and many cenotes that are in the area. We got to Chichen Itza at 8 am and are very glad we went early as we got finished around 11 and it was just getting crazy with tour buses .
All in all the hotel has nice rooms a nice little pool . We walked a lot even at night and felt very safe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

On our posh backpacking tour of the yucatan this was our hotel highlight over 3 weeks and 6 differerent places. A wonderful old collonial building with a great restaurant around a fountain in the first courtyard and nice but smallish pool in the quad behind that. Simple traditional rooms and very good service. It is right on the main sqaure which is sinigifanctly quainter and more appealing than Merida and far better access to Chichen Itza and Ek Balham (recomended as less touristy and more jungleified)
Price was the upper end of our budget (800 M$ = £45 / $55 US for standard room) but well worth it and miles better value than more touristy places like Tulum or Playa.
Breakfast not included in our deal but recomended, as a bit pricier than local places but really really good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Meson del Marques? Share your experiences!