We were very excited to visit the Maria de Luz Hotel and visit Ek Balam & Chichen Itza this past month, however we came away a bit disappointed with our accommodations during our stay.
First, the good:
- The Staff: The staff at the hotel and restaurant were fantastic. Very friendly and helpful, even going so far as to find us a driver for our visit to Ek Balam on 12/21. The waiters, concierge, front desk staff and everyone at both the hotel and restaurant went above and beyond the call of duty which definitely helped to offset the hotel's negative aspects.
- The Restaurant: The restaurant was nice, reasonably priced, had good food and service and was nicely appointed.
- The Pool: The pool was clean and refreshing (although a bit cold). There could have been more chairs poolside and places to lounge.
- The Location: Situated right across the street from the town square you couldn't ask for a better downtown location. We enjoyed street vendors, relaxing in the park, jugglers, bands, etc, just by walking across the street.
- The Balcony: We were on the 2nd floor which had a nice balcony right outside our door. There were nice tables and Adirondack chairs to relax in and eat at. Because our room was so disgusting, we spent a lot of our time on the balcony enjoying the view of the pool and the night sky.
Now, the Bad:
- The Room: With all the good things that the hotel has going for it, you would hope that they would have put more effort into their actual accommodations, but unfortunately our room was dirty, smelled like sewer, in poor repair and in dire need of updating. The room was nothing at all like what is pictured on their website. Ours consisted of two double beds with less than a foot in between them, an tiny older TV in the corner of the room on a shelf which got about 3 channels, a dresser and a closet. The beds were in need of new mattresses and the bedding and curtains looked old and worn. The biggest problem with our room though was the bathroom. Not only was it evidently not clean, with mold and debris in the corners and sink, but it SMELLED awful!! There was such a terrible septic smell that emanated from the toilet seals that we slept with the bathroom door shut and still had a bad odor permeate the room. Needless to say, we only spent the absolute minimal amount of time in our room.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Maria De La Luz
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Maria de la Luz Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.