“Hard to find parking” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 14 Attractions in Valladolid
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: t: Valladolid, colorful and safe colonial city, where yucatecan gastronomy was born and the Mayan culture is still alive. Is located in the east side of Yucatan, between Merida and Cancun. Ideal place to visit archeological sites like Chichén Itzá (New 7 wonders) at 50Km, Ek-Balam at 27km and Coba at 60km. Also you can visit natural reserves like the Biosphere of Ría Lagartos, to observe flamingos and birds; and Punta Laguna sanctuary of spider monkey.
Seattle, Washington
23 attraction reviews
“Hard to find parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

It was a good trip and we enjoy this historic town. There is only on street parking and lots of one way streets so be prepared to circle and circle. Most of the stores sell the exact same tourist crap you find in Cancun or any other town on the coast. Dom't bother to tour the market or stores because it was all bought at Gringo's R Us warehouse.

Visited November 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
“Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

An encounter.

On a tour bus, we visited a church in Valladolid, Mexico. It was a tourist attraction. The church was over 300 yrs old I believe. So all us tourists were walking toward the church doors and before the door was a kid, maybe 10 yrs old, sitting in a wheelchair, no legs, just an upper body. As I passed him I felt so bad for him. As I entered the doorway there were 3 people begging for money, old and/or blind and disabled. It was really awkward, us rich tourists coming to see this church juxtaposed against the poor and disabled. I couldn't get the kid out of my head, all the money I'm spending on a vacation and this kid is holding a cup, but not begging for money, just sitting there seemingly preoccupied with something.
As I left the church, I nervously looked at the boy, feeling uncomfortably as not knowing how to act.
When my eyes met his he gave me this amazing happy smile. In that moment I felt he was the enlightened one and I was the one looking for something. I kept walking, then turned around to put money in his cup. After leaving I felt like I missed an opportunity. I wished I had tried to talk to him, or at least say hello. I will never forget that smile. I'm still contemplating the encounter.

Calgary, Canada
15 attraction reviews
“Puebla Magica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Yes this city is magic! The Zocolo is easy to access and has almost nightly activities. During the Day of the Dead festivities we witnessed the altars that the University students set up. They were just wonderful!

El Paso, Texas
50 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Historic Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We didn't get to see much of the city - a disappointment to us. The old buildings are beautiful, and the central square was very nice.

NJ
4 attraction reviews
“A great small town to get away from Cancun's glitz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I enjoyed my two nights stay at Valladolid. The town is full of it's laid back charm. One night the town happened to have the pre-Day-of-the-Dead 'ghosts' parade with all sorts of altars display at the central square. A very exciting and memorable experience!