“Excellent location, spacious colourful rooms. first day spoiled by noise of builders in next room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tunich Beh

You added Hotel Tunich Beh to your Saves list
Hotel Tunich Beh
2.5 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Calle 41a #204a Calzada de los Frailes, Valladolid 97780, Mexico   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed three nights in this hotel and I enjoyed it very much. I shall get the quibble out of the way first. I always specify quiet room when I book.I was tired after travelling on the first day and really looking forward to spending the day by the pool outside my room. As soon as I lay down the noise started. And continued until 8 pm that night. There were builders in the room next door knocking hole in the wall. I was driven out by the noise. By the evening I had resorted to earplugs with headphones over the top and loud music to drown out the noise of the banging. I probably could have asked to change rooms and would have if it had continued the second day - or simply left, but the banging was so loud I think I would have heard it everywhere. The next day there was some building noise but light and tolerable. So my advice would be to ask if they are planning on building works during your stay.

Ok quibble over.. The hotel was lovely. At first I thought it was a colonial mansion with patio and cloisters and rooms set about the central courtyard ,where was a swimming pool sun beds hammocks and swings .It turns out It is quite new only 30 years old. They have done a very good job. My room was big with an enormous bed and good furniture. It seems austere and rather bare, despite the vivid colours think it is because there were no pictures on the walls. It was exceptionally clean . And every day my towels were folded into magnificent sculptures by the cleaner. Such a pleasure! the first day I got elephants to facing each other on my bed, and when I went into the bathroom the flannels were folded to make a baby elephant The next day I had swans and perhaps cygnets or doves – what ever they were, they were enchanting!

I enjoyed breakfast which was laid out in the cloistered area. Plenty to eat toast, cereals, granola, eggs, yoghurt and juices and a lovely view of the patio garden. A very pleasurable way to start the day. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

There were no mosquitoes, which is little short of a miracle, because I have been plagued by them everywhere else. I was thrilled at the location, so central and with the ADO bus station only a couple of blocks away.

Apart from the building noise which I hope was just a one off and won't happen to you, I would really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if they are planning any building work during your stay!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This friendly little boutique hotel is a gem in a sea of average-ness.
We chose this hotel because of its authentic Spanish influenced architecture, proximity to the main plaza (1 block) and the owner / manager always responded quickly to our email queries.
Checking in was a breeze, where we were told that reviews were appreciated, and that the hotel would do what they could to make our stay comfortable.
We paid 700 pesos for a room for one night, and were shown around. Hammocks hung almost everywhere, a generous pool, separate breakfast area, and motorcycle parking inside the compound (must be noted, as I am a rider myself, and I have found it very hard to get secure bike parking at some places I have stayed). Although not a rider on this trip, car parking was off street and secure. Parking is scarce close to the plaza so this is a real bonus.
The room was very authentic indeed. Separate bathroom / toilet and washroom, and with 2 double beds in the main room. Lots of storage, a tv, cold air conditioning, ceiling fan, and wifi to the room (another bonus as most hotels we have found have had wifi only in the lobby).
The double beds were on the firm side, but it is just as well that's how we like it!
Breakfast was a help yourself affair, nothing wrong with that at all. Toast, 3 types of muesli, yoghurt, fresh fruit and coffee, just perfect.
The only downside to this place, is that we stayed on a Friday night. Now I'm not sure if this happens every night, but the noise outside was just unbelievable. Right through to after 3am! Cars with loudspeakers on them broadcasting their message (I imagine this was to drum up business for a local nightclub), music blaring from every street corner around us, and the subsequent drunk and shouting customers who were out on the street. The noise was too much to sleep without earplugs (my wife sleeps this way, not me though, unfortunately). This really was the only downside to this hotel, and as I mentioned, I can only vouch for Friday nights, maybe it was an anomaly, maybe it happens every Friday night, I don't know. Best to check with the manager before you book, because I can assure you, if this happens every Friday night, you will not sleep through it.
As long as there is no night time festivities, I would rate this hotel well. Clean, tidy, and well maintained, exceptional service and value, good amenities, and only a block from the main plaza all add up to a truly great place to stay, just make sure you don't stay on a Friday night...

Room Tip: Check for expected evening noise before you book...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel and were very happy with all it had to offer. First it is a great location.....just a short walk from the bus station and the plaza. We traveled in Merida first and then Valladolid. We were happy in Valladolid to have a break from the heat in Merida and also find a break from the people assertively trying to sell to tourists. It seemed, from our 3 day stay that Valladolid offers a lovely and also relaxed atmosphere. There was lots of great shopping for tourists without the pushing.
The hotel was clean and the mattress was great. The staff were very helpful with everything. It was really great to have breakfast there. The decor is really bright and interesting. Our favorite thing was the many colorful light fixtures carved from gourds. We asked about them and discovered that an artist in town made them (husband and wife team run the homemade pinata store in town. With the help of Tunich Beh manager, we found the artist and bought several lights to take home. We LOVE them! Overall we had a wonderful wonderful time in Vallalodid and were happy to stay at Tunich Beh.

Room Tip: We had a room by the pool and it was great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
southern Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Tunich Beh is a perfect spot to base yourself in Valladolid. The hotel is on the renovated street Calzada de los Frailes, with it's own off-street parking, close to the central park. While it's not renovated to the hilt, that's part of the appeal to a certain type of traveller. The rooms, set at the back, through the first part - the front desk area, then the second part the gardens and covered eating area, line the small, pretty pool. We had the last room along this line and were very satisfied. It was quiet, with no street noise, was very large and had a king size bed. My husband found it a bit hard, but I had no concerns with this. There's a open, separate closet/wash basin alcove and a doored shower and toilet room. Hot water was immediate. There are plugs in bedroom and wash basin alcove. Air conditioning and ceiling fan work efficiently and quietly. The included breakfast was fruit, yoghurt, cereal, boiled eggs, juice and coffee - more than enough to start your day. Staff was very friendly and helpful when asked questions or advice. I'd recommend this place very confidently.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The Tunich Beh Hotel is located very near the Main Plaza and the ADO bus station, and is on a small beautiful avenue that leads to an old church. The hotel has a pool and hammocks and rooms are on one side of the pool. The room is spacious (our room was #4) with a King-size bed and a big closet to hang and shelve your clothes. We really liked the vivid colours of the hotel, typical Mexican! Breakfast was simple but filling and good. Staff at the reception was also very professional and helpful. All in all, Tunich Beh is a very good place to stay in Valladolid.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
walla walla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

everything was clean and comfy.... had a pleasant overnight stay friendly staff great breakfast.... quick check in and check out very helpful in choosing a place for dinner etc.... walking distance to the zocalo etc.... also the cenote! this was my first trip to mexico and was really impressed by this newly refurbished little hotel!

Room Tip: small comfy hotel clean pool and friendly staff....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We picked this hotel on Lonely Planet's recommendation and were not disappointed - it's a lovely old colonial property with a beautiful, clean swimming pool in the sunny courtyard and a resident cat. The room rate includes a generous all you can eat breakfast buffet. The front desk were really friendly and helpful, especially Rafael.

Our poolside twin room was spacious and clean with an excellent shower - lots of hot water and good water pressure - and I was very excited to see that the housekeeping staff had rolled our towels into the shape of an elephant (see photo)! The next day they did swans. I think this thrilled me at least as much as Chichen Itza.

The hotel is very conveniently located in central Valladolid - close to the Zocalo (central square) and only 1 block away from the main ADO bus terminal and the nearby departure point for colectivos to Chichen Itza. However, rooms face inwards onto the courtyard so they are nice and quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-5 are poolside
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Tunich Beh? Share your experiences!