“Maya Luna revisited” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Maya Luna revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

After my first visit to Maya Luna in the summer of 2009 I returned in December 2010 to celebrate Xmas and New Year far away from the snow and ice in the Netherlands. Again, I had a wonderful time in this eco-resort (it is much more than a hotel or restaurant), enjoyed the food (especially the house specialty, pine-apple filled with meat and veggies) prepared by Pedro, and the warm hospitality of Caroline and Jan. By the way, don't forget to pay a visit to his very entertaining bar down town, the Bodeguita. And, of course, I made a few dives again with Selma, the competent and always cheerful diving instructor I had already met during my previous visit.

I could only spend two weeks but thanks to Caroline, Jan and their friendly and well-spirited staff that was more than enough to recover from the strains and tensions that come with work. Maya Luna is a good place to chill out, relax, eat and drink (be careful with the tequila, though), and to make trips from to 'the end of the world', Xcalac or the Maya ruins that are not too far.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

My husband and I spend four days of a two week trip last August at the Maya Luna. When we arrived (by bus) to Mahahual, we thought "what in the HECK did we get ourselves into!?" The town is somewhat remote (though there is a cruise ship port) and is still recovering from hurricane damage. However, of all of the places we visited (Cancun, Playa, Tulum and Mahahual) this was our favorite of the trip. Relaxed, friendly people and access to lots of activities if you are into exploring the Yucatan.

The Maya Luna was a perfect place for us - quiet, nice people and right on the beach where we could relax in a hammock or sit on the roof of the cabana looking out at the ocean or up at the stars. A word to the wise: we were there during the rainy season and while we didn't experience rain, there had been a lot the week before. The Maya Luna is on an inlet and is surrounded by mangroves. When it rains, the water turns RED from the mangroves - so we did not get to swim or snorkel at Maya Luna. However, we spent a couple of blissful days at the beach in town - which was just fine with us!

Jan, one of the owners, was a very gracious host and was very pleasant - as were the other staff at the hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable and fresh water was available for drinking. Caroline, the other owner was out of town while we were there, but was very helpful via email before out trip.

Food was great - however, there was not a large variety to choose form depending on the day - the market is in Chetumal and they do not shop very many days a week from what I understand.

This is NOT a luxury accommodation - but if you are looking for a down-to-earth, relaxing environment where you can get what you need and aren't being hounded by people trying to sell you a time-share, then this might be for you. In the end, I was sad to leave and wished we had scheduled more of our trip for Mahahual. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

But, since I need it to stay in business always I have to let you in on a secret: This is the most amazing experience- to stay @ Hotel Maya Luna. I spent 6 days there, and for the first 4 I only saw Carolien and Jan, the owners of this place (and Felipe, the great cook!). I had the place to myself. I got to pretend I was on a deserted island, with miles of beach to walk, a perfect cabana/hut/house to stay in, a hammock to read in, and the coral reef just minutes out on the kayak they're happy to let you borrow. You just set up camp there, eat all your delicious meals right there, and never ever want to leave the paradise that is the maya luna. You couldn't ask for kinder people than Carolien and Jan- they make you feel like family, and I can't wait to go back and see them. People always say that after traveling they want to do more and different places. For me, I want exactly the same vacation I had, every year of my life!! Thank you Hotel Maya Luna, I'll never forget...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Bellvue, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We arrived in Costa Maya vis Allure of the Seas on Jan 19, 2011. Took a $10.00 cab to Maya Luna. We did have a reservation which cost $25.00 thru pay pal. We arrived to discover that my wife and I were the only people using the entire facility. Gaberial was very kind and likeable. The food was very very good and reasonably priced. I had the stuffed pineapple, a must. The deposit was used to purchase the food and drinks. They made my wife a very large plate of just shrimp, nothing added, as she is a wierd eater. She loved the shrimp. The beach was totaly void of people all day. The water is very warm and clear. The sea grass is no big deal with more open water areas than grass and you can go as far out to sea as you want. I recommend using water shoes as you will run into some rocks in the water. The beach had been raked clean. We will go back for another day trip and are planning to go for a week. Do not miss this gem if you want a very nice quiet day of beach and water.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Jonesboro, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We have visited Maya Luna 3 times now... all via the cruise ships! It's our favorite place to relax, enjoy the beautiful scenery, eat tropical wonderful food, have a massage, and snorkel the amazing reef. Carolien and her staff made us feel like family. I highly recommend a day trip here! The margaritas are fresh & fabulous! The food is amazing... we tried one of everything on the menu (we had 6 people in our group) and it was the best food we had all week! We're planning our next trip back to Maya Luna in March.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

We were there for four nights, the location was perfect just a few steps from the ocean and away from the town noise, relaxed and quiet, at night we just seat there looking at the beautifull sky, wonderfull bike rides, very good food and our host were kind and friendly, I would definitly go back .

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Incline Village
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Mahahual is a very laid-back, out-of-the-way little village. A wonderful change from the touristy areas on the Riviera Maya. We could walk the beach and not see another person. Maya Luna was a great choice for us. Carolien and her husband are charming and knowledgeable hosts. They gave us great info about visiting nearby Maya ruins. We used the kayaks to get out past the turtle grass and do some snorkeling. The best part are the casitas. They are charming and very private with lovely rooftop decks for viewing the sunsets. Very clean and nicely decorated, including hammocks.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Maya Luna? Share your experiences!