“Return trip even better than the 1st” 5 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 19 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bentonville, Arkansas
“Return trip even better than the 1st”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

MBG is quite simply on a par with the best hotels anywhere. The accomodations are superb, the staff is efficient and courteous, and the food (and service) are top of the line. Be careful or Marcia and Kim will become close friends for a lifetime!

Room Tip: Suggest the second floor if available, overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
We just had a wonderful cooling squall come through and I ran out to experience it and I reflected on how beautiful the sea is. I know you love the same things that brought all of us here to this place. Its so lovely to be this close to nature and to see the starts at night with the naked eye. I think of you fondly and hope you can find a way to become our permanent neighbor. Until next time. . .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

As "newbies" to MBG we didn't know what to expect for our 4 night stay, but we've had good luck from Tripadvisor ratings before and that was enough for us. Marcia, Kim, and all the staff were outstanding. They went out of our way to learn our interests and do everything they could to make our stay memorable. Following their recommendations we headed north on the beach road to the tiny fishing village at Punta Herrero. Lots of wildife and endless beaches with nobody around. Another day we went south to the Mayan ruins of Kohunlich. Hardly anyone else there when we visited. Away from the tourist hordes which was exactly what we wanted.

Back at MBG we spent time in our 2nd story room on the balcony in the comfortable hammocks, reading and watching the pelicans float by in formation at very close range. It's nice to see 2 hammocks per room instead of just one that you find in most places. The extra touches in the spacious rooms were great also. Conch shell faucets and personalized tile work for example. In the main building Marcia's undersea mosaics made out of beachcombed footwear are another example of her artistic flair and talent.

Now to the food. Superb! Every dish was excellent and portions were enough to fill without overdoing it. Marcia made sure the dietary needs of one of us were looked after. Tequila night with Fernando was amazing! I learned a lot about Tequila and put that knowledge to good use later in our trip. If you go try to time your visit for Tequila night - you won't be disappointed.

The mote in God's eye is the garbage on the beaches. It's cleaned up in front of the MBG and Marcia hands out bags so guests can do their part. But it's a real shame that humans can't stop dumping their trash in the ocean. The more remote beaches are marred with windrows of plastic and other refuse. At least it's clean. Marcia said that garbage scientists come every few years to see where it all comes from, and Columbia is the main culprit. I look forward to the day when we all stop treating the earth like a dumping ground.

Our last accolade was the camraderie with the owners and the other guests especailly at mealtimes. We enjoy talking with fellow travellers and conversations were engaging and interesting. Bravo to places like MBG that deliberately set up their operation to encourage this. So much better than an impersonal hotel room.

Shuck your shoes and let the sand between your toes take over for good times at MBG.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have pelicans flying by at close range. I spent quite awhile trying to get a good ph...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
I loved this review - so accurate about the environment and location. I'm so glad you came our way. Its true about the plastic, it keeps coming up onto the beach. It is a never ending battle, but we'll continue the good fight, especially with help from great guests and a new international awareness. I also want to apologize for waiting until May to write a response to this wonderful review. Shame on me! Hope to see you back again next year.
Shorewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We just returned from our 6th year in a row @MBG; the experience just improves each time.
Marcia and Kim are always adding new dishes to their awesome menu, Martin has mastered the margarita, and Fernando took us to new heights in tequila tasting! On Marcia's recommendation, we went diving with Dr. Dive in Mahahual and were so happy we did. The reefs are in great shape, the water is clear and everyone is so eager to make your time with them perfect. We've already made our reservation for 2015.

Room Tip: We love the beach cabanas. Starry skies, inspiring sunrises, surf crashing on the beach. Heaven.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
As always, we loved having you here. We have a special place in our hearts for some of out guests and you are way at the top. I loved snorkeling with you and taking you out to see the coral. Can't wait to do it with you again next year.
Clawson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We traveled north out Mahahual around February 18th on the bumpy but beautiful beach road-still better than some of the roads in Michigan. We did not have a reservation and had heard very nice things about small, intimate boutique resort right on the beach. We lucked out-there had been a cancellation-2 bedroom looking out on the beach and great front porch with hammocks. Excellent breakfast is included and Marcia and Kim go the extra to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Marcia helped my wife call our son in Michigan. Kim gave us insight from his extensive exploration of Mayan ruins. I was directed up the beach a bit where there was some very nice snorkeling just off the beach. My wife enjoyed playing in the waves out front of our room-water was very comfortable for her-near Akumal it is too cold for her. Stars at night were spectacular. Met some very nice people from U.S., Canada and Italy. Dinners were very good and reasonable-we had "small plates" one night prepared by Marcia and I had the best Ceviche ever. If you are looking to relax and enjoy the sea I highly recemmend this gem-all that we hoped for. Blake and Kathie

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much for letting us know the things you enjoyed at Mayan Beach Garden. Comments like that help us to know that we are on the right track. I love your comments about the road - I know its rough, but I never get tired of driving it and looking at the stunning Caribbean during the journey. I'll pass your comments along to our staff, they will enjoy them.
Bracknell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

All we have done for two days is sit in the sun, swim in the sea, walk along the beach and watch pelicans. We have a lovely airy room with a balcony, sea view and a beautiful mosaic bedhead that gave the room real style. We went for the meal plan option and have been delighted with every meal, especially Chris's veggie options, and have enjoyed eating 'en famille' for dinner, and chatting with other guests.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
I love the title of your review and I'm honored to be reviewed by someone who has actually written 164 reviews, I know what an art that is. It was such a pleasure to have you visit us and we hope at some point in the future our paths might cross again.
Orono, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

we arrived from the beach road to find an oasis on the beach run by Marcia and Kim. The rooms are divine, the food fabulous and the guests, many who return yearly to be friendly and good company. Awesome snorkeling and the reefs are in great shape. A wonderful place to return to over and over.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you and to all the wonderful Canadian guests who visited us this Winter. I know it was cold in Canada and I hope we brought some warmth to your life during your visit. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you back again.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

A solo traveler looking for a remote inn surrounded by natural beauty and great snorkeling, I was so lucky to find the Mayan Beach Garden, where I stayed for almost four weeks during January/February 2014. I can’t thank the hosts and proprietors, Marcia and Kim, enough for providing me with such a wonderful experience. In need of checking out from the hustle and bustle of Chicago (and its harsh winter), I arrived to find what I would describe as the ideal traveler’s inn.

Having stayed in four of the rooms while there, I don’t think you can go wrong staying in any of them. They are quite comfortable—more than I would have expected for an inn located so remotely—and are kept tidy on a daily basis by the staff (all of whom were very friendly and happy to accommodate me). The rooms, like the property itself, are very well maintained, with Marcia’s artistic touches apparent in the hung artwork and room details.

Set on an expansive beach, the front of the inn provided me with opportunities to sip a tequila before dinner and watch the sun set (I suggest that tequila drinkers ask for Mayan Beach’s own-barreled tequila—it was very good). Meal times proved to be one of my favorite experiences: Kim, who usually joined us guests for dinner, is such an easy to like, affable man—I think he (and Marcia, via her everyday interactions) sets a relaxed informal tone that welcomes everyone, no matter who they are or where they come from (dinners are communal, which, despite my preconceptions, I very thoroughly enjoyed). I had a great many interesting conversations with my fellow guests at that table.

It didn’t hurt that the food was FANTASTIC. I couldn’t believe it. I’m a bachelor, not a chef, but I spend half of my income eating out in Chicago, and I thought the food was great. And the meal plan I signed up for was very, very reasonable. I also drank 4-5 cups of coffee a day—it’s French pressed and very good. Those kind of touches, in the middle of that remote area, that helped make this a really special place: it’s not the Ritz Carlton—but how could it be and still maintain its place as an environmentally friendly, small, independently run inn? From this context, it provides fantastic comfort and amenities.

But my favorite experience was snorkeling—wow!!! The reef is a long way out, so there is a lot to explore between the beach and that reef. The first time, alone, and went out a bit, but not far (unfortunately, I saw “Jaws” when I was eight years old). But the next time I went out, I went with Marcia, who had generously asked if I’d like to go with her. I got out farther this time, and for two hours we went through some amazing coral formations and saw all different types of fish and a few rays. I went out snorkeling with her for three hours another time—which may have been one of the best experiences of my life (I hope I’m not setting her up to readers as an expected guide—she just happened to be going and I tagged along). The key is getting near the reef. Where I went, water is no more than 10 feet deep, all the way out to the reef.

I didn’t see a lot of solo traveler reviews, so I do want to say that I found being on my own at Mayan Beach perfect. In retrospect, I'm not sure what I would have done staying at a "regular hotel" or rental property for a month. The meal times provided me with an opportunity meet other guests, which led to opportunities to do things with others, and make some friends, too. And I had plenty of opportunity to soak up privacy and solitude, and even worked 35+ hours a week from my computer while I was there.

Having stayed at Mayan Beach for almost four weeks, I saw both how hard it must be to run a place like this so well and how successfully the proprietors strove to make their guests’ experiences there positive ones. I was also fortunate to get to know Marca and Kim a little bit during this period of time, and I found them to be absolutely wonderful people. I don't know how they do it. I can’t thank them enough for making my stay one I will never forget. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
When people stay with us for a month's time, we get the opportunity to bond with our guests. When you left, there was a hole that won't be filled until you return again. I loved snorkeling with you and showing you the beauties of the reef and of nature. May you always remember us as we will remember you until you return again to us. See you next year!.

Been to Mayan Beach Garden? Share your experiences!