“Mayan Beach Garden stay” 5 of 5 stars

Mayan Beach Garden
20.5 km N Camino Costera | Mahahual-Uvero, Mahahual 77940, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Saratoga Springs, Utah, United States
“Mayan Beach Garden stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

What an awesome place to stay. We had 4 adults and 2 children (7 & 5) We all had a great time. We enjoyed the solitude of the beach and would much rather stay here verses the busy hotel we spent 1 night at in Cancun. MB Garden is so personal in everyway from our host's Kim and Marcia to the staff. they have cleaning and cooking to be sure everything is just right for the guests. We have no complaints...LOVED every minute of it and so did the kids. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Our room was right on the beach and we loved it. We laid in the Hammocks on the porch and had awesom...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
What a pleasure it was to have you here visiting with us - really. And what well behaved children - we felt blessed to have them around. I enjoyed guiding you to Boogie Board beach and watching everyone Boogie Board and beach-combing for flip-flops. Next time we will have to snorkel to the shipwreck. Thanks again for taking the time to visit us. I hope we do see you back again soon. We would love it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed with Kim and Marcia for an incredibly short week in September. This was our third visit to stay with our Uvero "family" in the last four years. That is what Kim and Marcia as well as their long time staff become. They are a pleasure to be with, from the time you start booking your trip to waving goodbye as you drive away. What's being written about this beautiful place is true. It is off the beaten path but easy and fun to get to. Part of the experience, for us anyway, is the drive there from Cancun. Stopping in the small towns and villages, experiencing the Mexican culture and way of life, are all part of the deal with us. My wife works in a fast paced, high stress career. For her laying in one of the hammocks reading and napping, on the front porch of our own private cabana, for the entire seven days is her idea of vacation. I too enjoy that part but I also am an explorer at heart. I love going to where the locals go. Where they live. Where they shop and eat. The sandy beach roads with no other people or cars for hours. The Wonderful thing about MBG is it provides both of these. If you are going to Mexico for late nights in clubs and people everywhere, this is not the place for you. The only bright lights at night are the stars. And as far as people everywhere, good luck finding that here. We have rarely seen another soul on the beaches.
We are from Louisiana so we are surrounded by wonderful food but we both rave about the food at MBG. In fact we talk about it for the weeks before and after our visits. I highly recommend the meal plan. From the breakfasts on the patio each morning to the amazing "family" style meals at night, the creations by Marcia and her staff are part of our attraction to MBG. In fact when we come home we talk to friends about the food down there as much as anything else. My wife even said "I wish I would have taken a picture of that".
On our most recent visit we snorkeled just about every day, right off of MBG's beach, tried out the sea kayaks and stand up paddle boards (my wife was like a pro, me not so much) and spent a lot of time laying in our hammocks. We drove a sandy beach road north to the Lobster village and another day we drove south on the beach road to the fishing village of Xcalak. One day I drove to the big city of Chetumal and walked the traditional Mexican markets and streets while my wife remained behind to relax.
If you are looking for a place in paradise where every second of your vacation is not "planned out" and you can truly relax and unwind, this is it.

Room Tip: Warmer months are only times we have been. Ceiling fans and Caribbean breezes are wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
As always, we loved having your visit and look forward to each one. Your conversations at the dinner table are a delight. Thank you so much for such a fabulous review and also for driving out of your way to visit us here in our slice of Paradise. See you next year!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family of three recently travelled to Mayan Beach Garden after reading the Trip Advisor recommendations and are we glad we did! We spent four nights, which was just right to relax, enjoy the beach, food and solitude and do the local stuff. I was a bit apprehensive that this hotel/area was the perfect one for me, but was a compromise for the other members of my family : my air conditioner-needing partner and pool-needing 6 year old, but they both loved it as much as I did. We definitely plan to return!

Room Tip: Splurge for the beachfront rooms, you'll be glad you did. (Although even the other rooms are cr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for visiting Mayan Beach Garden. It was a pleasure to meet you and to hear you tell about you new experiences snorkeling. It is fun to vicariously enjoy the newness of the experience with you all. We do hope to see you again and as always, please let us know how we can make your experience better next time.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for several weeks in May and I cannot begin to express what a wonderful time we had. It was truly a unique experience and we wouldn't trade it for anything. Sleeping in beautiful, comfortable and yet somewhat rustic rooms right on the beach...surrounded by the sounds of nature and the ocean, we felt as if we were truly off the beaten path. I had never really stayed at an "off the grid" hotel and was not quite sure what to expect. I was amazed at how truly comfy and easy it turned out to be. We always had a wonderful breeze from the ocean and/or the overhead fan. I had truly been worried about not having A/C but I can honestly say that I did not need it or miss it once. Mayan Beach Garden is located on a remote stretch of beach front road, yet in reality is only 15 minutes from the quaint fishing village of Mahahual (with its cute shops and a selection of interesting restaurants). With the mangrove in back and the Carribbean ocean in front, MBG is a perfect blend of jungle and beach. The atmosphere is welcoming, relaxed and friendly -- decorated with some incredibly beautiful artwork by one of the owners. Its an excellent spot to use as a home base for day trips. Many guests spent their time diving, snorkeling, fishing, bird watching and visiting the Mayan ruins. We chose to spend the majority of our time lounging in our hammocks and soaking in the gorgeous views of the Carribean and sipping mango margaritas! On the Costa Maya we discovered that the beach changes vastly from spot to spot. The beach in front of MBG is clean and the water was fairly calm and tranquil most of the time. The turtle grass grows far enough away from the beach that there is a very nice area with a sandy bottom for swimming. A few days there were some larger waves and occasionally a lot of seaweed washed up. But, the staff always had it cleaned up promptly. Still, this is not Cancun.... the beach is more...raw and real here...teeming with coral and ocean life. Just what we were looking for! There was not another soul on the beach as far as we could see! Just up the way, about a ten minute walk from MBG, the owner directed us to a truly world class snorkeling spot. All we had to do was swim out a few feet to see an abundance of fish and other ocean life. One woman saw a Manatee while we were there (she showed me pictures!) and several people reported seeing Sting Rays and Turtles. We went snorkeling in the Sian Kaan reserve at a real honest to goodness ship wreck. Mayan Beach Garden is place for adventurers and beach loungers a like. We loved the free kayaks and really want to try the paddle boards next time we visit. The staff is very helpful and welcoming...they always had a smile on their face and truly went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The group dinners provided a wonderful opportunity to meet and talk to some interesting people from all over the world..but we also had the option of having a romantic private dinner on the roof. We were told they are going to be adding yoga and spa facilities in the near future and we are excited to come back and give those a try too! Thanks everyone at MBG. We can't wait to see you all again..hopefully very soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
As I look out my window, I am imagining the two of you snorkeling the shipwreck and exploring the Sian Ka'an. Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone about it here on TripAdvisor. Some day, it won't be so lonely and wild and we will have lots of traffic here. I'm so happy you got to experience it as it is now. May others be so fortunate. Until next time!
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was our family's fourth trip to MBG and a fifth trip for my daughter Amy. I have always been excited to see how the grounds and garden have changed from trip to trip, I saw it both pre and post Dean (hurricane) and I have to say that the owners keep making it better. Every trip we are able to relax sooner and with less effort and look forward to our return with greater anticipation.

I was so glad to have a place where I could catch up on my reading which tends to get lost in the hustle and bustle of life. Once more Marcia and Kim made our stay fun, and wonderful. My kids see them almost like grandparents and there were tears in my eyes as we drove away to go home.

I cannot wait to visit again and see what new things have been added. I have stayed in almost every room available over the years and I can honestly say that there are no bad rooms (of the ones I have stayed in). There were two more rooms (second story above existing cabanas) added since my last visit and we barely needed the fan, only on the nights when the breeze died down.

As always the food was delightful and enjoyable, my son even said he did not mind trying new things at MBG which is amazing since he is both autistic and a picky eater. It was great to meet Rob and Rebecca as well. With our limited vacation budget I am glad we always take the chance to save up for our trip to MBG, we learn new things every trip and enjoy every stay making it worth every penny.

Room Tip: Contact the owners with any accommodations or questions and you will have an even better experience.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
The best thing about owning a small Inn like Mayan Beach Garden is that our guests become our friends and when you return, we get the pleasure of your company yet again. Thanks for continuing to come to MBG and blessing us with your presence. Have a great summer and we hope to see you again next year.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Whenever we travel we are always in search for places that are off-the-beaten path, remote, when possible and more importantly, unique. We are happy to report that the Mayan Beach Garden Inn is one of those places.

The Inn is a few hours away from Cancun and sadly, in this day and age, one needs to travel far to find this kind of lovely and unique place. Luckily, the journey was worth it! The hosts, the staff, the food and the accommodations are wonderful. My husband and I stayed for 4 days and of course, we wished we stayed longer. When we arrived we thought that after 4 days we would have had enough but almost a month later, we keep thinking of the Inn and wishing we were there again.

I think often people are disappointed when visiting a place because their expectations are not met but in the case of this Inn, one would be hard press to fault them for lack of information. They have put together the most comprehensive website I have ever seen, the plethora of information does not only regard the hotel but Mahahual and the encompassing Costa Maya. Well worth a thorough read.

One last thing. This is something I have noticed with very small hotels and B&Bs, if you have any comments or issues please mention them kindly to the hosts as I have seen some really silly complaints here that could have been taken care of by the Inn's hosts.

Thank you Marcia, Rebecca, Rob and the rest of the staff. We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for such a nice review. We love it when people understand what we are about, and you certainly do! Can't wait to share this with Rob and Rebecca! Since they just started, they will be thrilled to know that you appreciated their efforts. The staff say's "hi" too!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here with our 2x boys (5yrs + 2yrs) and had a brilliant time throughout. We stayed in a junior suite on the beach. There was one main room and the bathroom. The boys were in single beds in a sectioned off area in one corner. We had a kitchenette, breakfast bar, plenty of storage and a huge superior kingsize bed. It was immaculately clean and there was a lovely sea breeze keeping the mosquitos at bay! The balcony / terrace has awesome with views over the turquoise seas, brilliant wooden furniture and amazing hammocks. The restaurant was amazing, so good in fact we ate all our meals with them and on the days we went out, we were given a fab packed lunch. All our needs were catered for from activities, planning trips to temples, maps in a friendly, constructive and creative way. The snorkelling is fantastic (adult equipment can be hired) and the boogy board beach was pretty special too.
We had such an amazing time, I felt my eyes well up when we left and were saying goodbye to our outstanding hosts.
We cannot recommend Maya Beach Garden highly enough, in fact the number of regular guests (one couple were there for the 7th time!) speaks volumes....we hope to go back very soon.

Room Tip: There is not a swimming pool but I cannot work out how to clear this option!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
I am so pleased your family had a lovely time. I have to say that we all fell in love with all of you from the moment you arrived. Few children are so well behaved. We do hope to see them again some time and thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and so soon after your departure from us. Have a great summer!

Been to Mayan Beach Garden? Share your experiences!