“Great Service, Great Place” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Mahahual
More attraction details
Owner description: Private beach resort for cruise ship passengers.
Fortson, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Great Service, Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First of all I booked this through their website a couple of days before a cruise after our cruise switched ports last minute. When arriving in Costa Maya I felt like the island was destroyed and trashy, you can tell it had been damaged by hurricanes is recent years. The drive to Mayan Beach Club did not leave me feeeling like I was gonna have a good day but I was wrong. When you pull up you are greeted right away by friendly staff, they take you to your pallata which is a couple of lounge chairs, umbrella and bed on the beach. We did not like the one they assigned us to because a guy was cleaning up the beach right in fron of us but we asked to move and they let us. We were given some great chips and dip and cocktails of our choice. My wife had sangrias and I had some oreo concoction that was awesome. We laid out a while and then I kayaked out to the reef. I shoulda brought the snorkel gear out with me but didnt. However I spoke with one of the staff members about taking me out snorkeling and he agreed to do so after lunch. We laid out in the floating chairs for a while until the best lunch ever was served. Great mexican fresh cuisine, best I have ever had. Then as promised I was taken out to snorkel and it was great, we held lobster, saw eels and fish etc. The service of this place was great and although the island itself is a bit dirty and destroyed this place makes you forget all of that. They are cleaning and rebuilding alot on this island but Maya Chan has it together already. I loved it and will return if I ever cruise to Costa Maya again

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Relaxing Break from our Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had a great time at this mini-resort! The individual palapas were wonderful along with the never ending guac and salsa! My kids used the kayaks and sand equipment. The lunch was so yummy and drinks were plentiful. Just wish we could have stayed longer! Def. on my return list!

Visited March 2013
11 attraction reviews
“Second time not the charm”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The first time I visited, good friday in march 2010, this place was wonderful. There were 12 people total that day. The service was great, the food and drinks were great.

But... Just visited on Good Friday this year. Such a different experience. The first issue was that they had only reserved four people instead of the 6 we paid for. this created 2 issues- first, the local transportation were refusing to take the extra 2 people to maya chan! we had to fight to get all six of us on the bus. then, they had put us in a small palapa for 4 rather than one that would accommodate six.

The biggest issue was that They had terribly overbooked. They claim they only take 30 people a day, but I counted over 60! You couldn't even walk around, there were bodies and stuff everywhere you tried to walk. We tried to order a drink from one of the beach servers, but after half an hour of waiting for the drinks we gave up and walked over the bodies and stuff to the main area about 2 blocks away it felt like.

Also, there was a piece of glass in the sand INSIDE my palapa and I seriously cut my foot. This was not a washed up piece of glass- it was inside the palapa so most likely left behind by prior guests.

Due to my serious foot injury, as well as the overcrowded conditions, I ended up leaving soon after arriving and did it get to eat so cannot comment on the food.

The owner did refund my money, which was a nice gesture. But the overcrowding really ruined what had been a wonderful memory of our prior trip. We won't be back again.

MayaChanBeach, Owner at Maya Chan Beach, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Glad you appreciated the full refund. We are very sorry about the cut. But its the beach. We did remove all sand in all palapas and raked out the entire beach. After our first year of operation, we expanded and have never changed our daily self imposed limit since 2009. Very tough to please everyone.
Syracuse, New York
“Best day of cruise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Absolutely loved Maya Chan! Totally relaxing day, loved the floating chairs!! Excellent food and drinks, can't wait to go back!!

Tampa, FL
14 attraction reviews
“I hear it was awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was terribly ill today so I didn't get to enjoy this as much as I would have liked. Having said that, the staff went out of their way to make sure I was okay and that my friends had a great time.

They tell me the drinks were strong and free flowing and the the buffet was yummy. The location is a bit of a distance from the boat and when I went back early they charged me $15 for a taxi. I'm not sure that was a fair amount when roundtrip transfers were supposed to be included...

The property was pretty and right out on the water but not much of a big sandy beach. Overall it is a good value.