“A day in the life” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Mahahual
Plantation, Florida
“A day in the life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

An absolutely fantastic day for anyone wishing to get out of cruise land!!! Absolutely charming place for a lovely beach day or week if you like. The drinks, food, and resort are fantastic, and the cost of taxi fare is include in day trips. Darvey our cab driver was fantastic as well, and we got a great back road drive to our ship on the return trip. We vow to return!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Canadensis PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My sisters and I spent a wonderful day at Almaplena Beach Resort last week. The resort is secluded,peaceful and beautiful.We were treated like Royalty, and enjoyed a fantastic lunch, more like a feast. The owners are warm and welcoming. I booked this privately,we were on a Carnival Cruise, and prefer to plan our own activities. We had no trouble finding the taxi service they asked us to use, and our driver returned promplty at the time we asked him to. I highly reccoment a visit to this beautiful paradise!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family and I chose to do the all inclusive beach day that Almaplena offers during our cruise stop in Costa Maya. The taxi ride over was a little rough with no air conditioning, but we forgot all about it once we arrived at the resort. The grounds and the beach are gorgeous. Andrea and Monica were very nice and accommodating. The lunch provided was delicious. They only allow a maximum of 20 people on the resort per day, so it is very relaxing. It was exactly what we were looking for for our excursion. We were a group of 13 and there was another family of 4 there too. But we still felt like we had the place all to ourselves. The drinks and food were plentiful and the beach was spectacular. The waters are not rough at all and were fun to swim in. I basically spent the day sitting on the shore line letting the waves lap over me and enjoyed the sunshine. It was exactly how i wanted to spend my birthday included with food and drinks. It was definitely everyone's favorite day on the cruise.
We had a chance to see the rooms at the resort. They were clean and comfortable. Keep in mind that this isn't a 5 star all-inclusive. It is an eco resort. If you're looking for the all inclusive experience this isn't it. But if you are looking for a quiet retreat to relax on the beach for a few days with a good book, this is just right. My mother in law and I decided that we will definitely be planning a lady's long weekend to Almaplena some time in the near future. Thanks to Andrea and Monica for making my 32nd beautiful and memorable! I WILL be back!

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Almaplena and were really amazed by the great beach and property. Near town, about 15 min, but removed enough to be isolated. We stayed there 6 days and truly loved the beach. The hotel is great, has great rooms with beautiful views. I also loved the music playing at the restaurant, great selection, at least to my taste. The owners are nice and attentive, yet something seemed missing, especially when it came to the food. Although we never had dinner, we did order breakfast once and several lunches, tried their appetizer and had several drinks. The food was fair, but I felt it was overpriced for what it was and the services, although some staff were really nice, others seemed to just be going through the motions. We were thinking of having dinner, but after trying different lunches we did not feel inspire to eat at the hotel, especially with great restaurants in town.

The rooms are good, but would've appreciated if they had lest dust, our room at least was very dusty, I don't know if it was due to some wood work being done right outside or the road. Regardless, if at least once every two days they would mop the floors, it would help with the dust. Aside from these small things, we did enjoy it very much and loved it, I guess we had higher expectations.

We do stay in many eco resorts and do beach camping in St. John USVI as well as PR, their beach is as beautiful as the island's. They do stay true to being eco and do clean their section of the beach each morning (tough job), since all surrounding beaches are filled with garbage. We asked many people in town why is there so much garbage in the Mexican caribbean coast, since we also saw the same problem on the beaches going from tulum to punta allen.

Please visit Laguna bacalar, it is beautiful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Flower Mound, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We just returned from a cruise and stopped in Costa Maya. We booked a beach break at Almaplena resort for $59, each. Although the beach and resort were beautiful, we did feel as though we did not get what we paid for at Almaplena.

We were looking for a higher end, all-inclusive resort in order to get away from the typical beach breaks you get closer to town.

They advertised “All you can Drink - (Open Bar all day including: beer, liquors, cocktails, water, soft drinks)” They were out of rum, so any drink made with rum, including our favorite rum punch, was not available. Some other cruisers requested vodka and orange juice but were told they were out of that too. So I went inside to the bar (no beach waiter service) and saw the bottle of Smirnoff behind the bar and used some of my broken Spanish because the bartender spoke zero English even though they also advertise “English speaking staff”. I managed to finally get a screwdriver out of him after 5 minutes of coaxing. I also ordered a Jack on the rocks and was told that wasn’t included. Instead I was offered some Irish whiskey from a bottle that was almost empty. After polishing that off I finally talked the owner, Andrea, into letting me have the Jack Daniels.

When it comes to the food, let’s just say it was interesting and not what we expected. Again, they advertised an “All you can eat Buffet” but we were only offered a choice of one plate of beef, pork or shrimp tacos. Do not get the shrimp tacos. I eat anything and I couldn’t stomach these.

The general facilities were clean and the beach was gorgeous, however the men’s bathroom never flushed and was never fixed even though multiple people told the owner about it.

On a higher note, we had massages on the beach which was incredible! That was an extra cost of $45 each not associated with the resort.

On the whole we gave it a 3 out of 5 stars because of the beauty of the place but if you’re looking for a beach with full service, good food and unlimited drinks, then Almaplena is probably not a good choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a little slice of heaven in Costa Maya.The water is crystal clear blue and the place looks just like it does on their website.
We were greated by the owner and our drink order taken. We picked which papala we wanted down by the beach and took everything in. It was absolutely GORGEOUS! The sand is soft and beautiful, the water is beautiful and the grounds are beautiful.
There is a reef out that you can swim to. The water was fairly calm and fish to be seen.
Our appetizers were AWESOME, but the food we they picked for us wasn't as tasty (chicken, shrimp, and beef tacos). I would have preferred more of the enchiladas. They were fabulous.
The restrooms are clean and they have a nice shower outside to rinse off.
There's a beautiful palm tree that overhangs on the beach for some really awesome pictures.
The dining area is nice and large. They have hammocks to be lazy in if you want, both in the sun and on the porch. The staff is very friendly.
My only complaint would be that the delivery of drinks were slow and they did not come out and ask if you wanted more. You had to go to them.
I would HIGHLY recommend this to any cruisers for an AI day in the beautiful Caribbean. Definitely worth every penny spent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tuil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Almaplena. View is wonderful, especially when using the rooms on the first floor. Well, any room will do, the good thing of staying on the ground floor is that you wake up and walk right into the soft white sand of Almaplena's breakfast.

Andrea and Monica are nice hosts and always willing to help out. Would love to come back one day!

Do not hesitate if you are trying to choose your accommodation in Mahahual, Almaplena is in our opinion truly the best place to stay and enjoy a relaxing time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Almaplena Eco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!