“BEAUTIFUL ALMAPLENA -by cruise ship” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Almaplena Eco Beach Resort

You added Almaplena Eco Beach Resort to your Saves list
Almaplena Eco Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Camino costero | Mahahual-Xcalak, Km 12.5, Mahahual 77940, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Mahahual
Columbus, Ohio
“BEAUTIFUL ALMAPLENA -by cruise ship”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a little slice of heaven in Costa Maya.The water is crystal clear blue and the place looks just like it does on their website.
We were greated by the owner and our drink order taken. We picked which papala we wanted down by the beach and took everything in. It was absolutely GORGEOUS! The sand is soft and beautiful, the water is beautiful and the grounds are beautiful.
There is a reef out that you can swim to. The water was fairly calm and fish to be seen.
Our appetizers were AWESOME, but the food we they picked for us wasn't as tasty (chicken, shrimp, and beef tacos). I would have preferred more of the enchiladas. They were fabulous.
The restrooms are clean and they have a nice shower outside to rinse off.
There's a beautiful palm tree that overhangs on the beach for some really awesome pictures.
The dining area is nice and large. They have hammocks to be lazy in if you want, both in the sun and on the porch. The staff is very friendly.
My only complaint would be that the delivery of drinks were slow and they did not come out and ask if you wanted more. You had to go to them.
I would HIGHLY recommend this to any cruisers for an AI day in the beautiful Caribbean. Definitely worth every penny spent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tuil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Almaplena. View is wonderful, especially when using the rooms on the first floor. Well, any room will do, the good thing of staying on the ground floor is that you wake up and walk right into the soft white sand of Almaplena's breakfast.

Andrea and Monica are nice hosts and always willing to help out. Would love to come back one day!

Do not hesitate if you are trying to choose your accommodation in Mahahual, Almaplena is in our opinion truly the best place to stay and enjoy a relaxing time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We came here to stay at the Hotel Castillo in the first place. For some unknown reason they shut down for a unknown period of time and directed us to this lovely place.
If you make your way down the road from Mahahual don't let yourself be fooled by the appearance of the town. The dirt road starts kind of busy, dirty and the beach not being appealing. The further you get the better the houses get and the beach improves a lot. After about 15 minutes you will find this place being built from scratch in January 2012. You can choose to stay on ground level with direct access to the beach or one floor up where you get a better view. All rooms have a free view to the sea and a hammock to enjoy it. Rooms are very appealing with a super silent fan. There is always a slight breeze, so you will not miss the air condition. There is a 6 digit safe and enough space to store your belongings.
There is free WiFi in the lobby. Only making phone calls makes you feel you passed the end of the world. So if you want to organize dive trips or want to make important calls you are better off to sort it out in Mahahual before you come here to relax.
Bring your snorkel equipment, there is a reef just 50m from the shore. If you don't have some, ask Andrea, the friendly Italian manager.
The hotel beach gets a clean-up every morning, but the bordering beaches are natural beaches.
Expect to pay a little above 100 USD for a double. As always prices are subject to change and vary with seasons. It's been the best value for money for a long time on our trip to Mexico.
If you come here expect to spend more time than you intended to.

• Stayed December 2012
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had a group of 11 go to Almaplena as a shore excursion, and we all loved it! The resort is gorgeous, and the beach is glorious! This is a great place relax, swim, snorkel, eat, sunbathe, walk on the beach, etc...just a perfect place for the day! The owners, Andreas & Monica, are very warm and welcoming. The food was delicious and very plentiful! The hammocks are comfy, and the free wifi worked well. You won't want to miss coming here! It was a wonderful day!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The location and facility are beutiful. Run by their italian owners Andrea and Monica that are wonderful host.
The food and service is great with Italian and Mexican choices. The lasagna and risoto are excellent and so is the fish.
If anyone is looking for a peaceful vacation away from everything, this is the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have been at Almaplena for one whole week in June and I (& my friends) have really found this place amazing and very well organized !!

Almaplena is a TRUE eco-beach resort (many resorts pretend to be "ecological" but they don't really are....).surrounded by nature but meanwhile only 20/30 minutes from Mahahual village: then you may have everything at once, rest & fun (& shopping of course).

During our stay, the owners have tried to satisfy each of our wishes (especially I remember that we asked them to prepare a cocktail for us, and they surprised us by serving our cocktails in coco nuts and bringing them directly on the beach, in a very preatty area that they call VIP AREA!!!)

Our room was big and very well furnished (in a modern mexican style, I suppose) and the staff kept it cleaned and tidy all the time (they changed our sheets every two days...! ). I really loved all the details of this room, which is beach-front and with a wonderful view....

A few words about the restaurant & food: I & my friends really felt at home since we could eat whatever we wanted at any time. Monica & Andrea have been really lovable and always at disposal. We could enjoy both mexican and italian food (personally I really loved their guacamole, tacos de camarones and pasta with avocado & shrimps).

Of course if I plan to visit Yucatan again, I will spend another week at Almaplena!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hotel has nice facilities and is decorated with very good taste, the service is really bad however. Monica, the owner has no idea, whatsoever, of what good customer service means. I'll give some examples of the the kind of things you can expect from her, by which I will never return to this place, nor recommend it to my friends:
1. We (my wife, my two kids (5 and 7 years old) and I) arrived 3 days after hurricane Ernest hit Majahual. All of their palapas had been destroyed and there was no shelters onn the beach to cover from the sun. Therefore we set up a beach canopy to play with the kids on the sand and she immediately arrived and asked us to... remove it!!!, whaaaaaaat? They did not have any place to cover form the sun and she was asking us to remove our shelter????!!!. Her argument was that her hotel wasn't a camping hotel and other clients were coming. So? What was she thinking? We were only setting a place to play on the beach with our kids.
2. When Monica showed us the room, she made such emphasis in not using water and electricity that I almost felt that I should never take a shower again and light my life with candles.
3. The first morning she only offered us cereal, coffee and tea for breakfast. We asked for fruit, but she said that there wasn't any because of the hurricane. OK, we understood. She promised there would be fruit next day. The following morning there wasn't fruit. Why?. Because of the hurricane, again!? (that wasn't a valid excuse anymore because we found several stores in town that sold fruit. The worse part of this was that she lied to us because another couple arrived, when we were having breakfast, and the waitress took a large plate of fresh fruit to their table. Monica saw that, and did nothing to apologize for lying to us or to bring fruit to our table. From that point on I was so upset that we decided not to consume anything from them.
4. Every time we were on the restaurant or even at the beach, she was just looking at my kinds as if ey were going to mess her hotel up. She was more concerned about the looks of her hotel than the comfort of her guests. I felt observed all the time. If they do not want to receive kinds, they should state it in their webpage, so families can decide an go somewere else.
5. Last but not least, they were remodeling or finishing some rooms next to ours, and the last day we were there, their workers woke us up, AT 7 AM !!!!!!!, because they were hammering.
It's a shame because it is a lovely place. We'll never come back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AlmaplenaHotel, Proprietario at Almaplena Eco Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
First of all, it's very curious the first negative review that we receive is sent by a guest, who at the time of check-out, we have kindly ask to check about the lack of some towels and, despite our requests, declined to respond economically.

The strength of our Eco Resort is the focus on the customer, we strive to do our best to pamper our guests. We regret to receive so bad critics about our service from a family who was out of the Resort every day all day long because out on tours. During all the stay we didn't receive any complaint.

I would like to respond the customer comments:

1) Ernesto Hurricane didn't destroy any of our beach umbrellas because we previously removed them. When the customer came to our hotel, half of our beach umbrellas where already installed on the beach and ready to use. Plenty of shade was available, the other guest that were here in the same days could tell.
The customer in the late afternoon, about at 4pm, installed a camping tent on the beach very close to the porches of the others rooms and right in the place where we needed to install the missing beach umbrellas. However, I have not denied using it, I've only asked if they could please remove it at the end of the day.

2) Almaplena is a small Ecological Beach Resort that strives to be low environmental impact, it supplies electricity and water 24/24h. We inform all our guest about the hotel's ecological systems and for this reason we ask their cooperation to be careful to don't waste water and please to shut off the lights when leave the room.

All this information was provided to the customer by email before the reservation, so I don't understand the complaint.

3) The price of the accommodation includes a buffet breakfast: Cofee, The, Milk, 3 different type of cereals, toasted bread with mermelade, maple syrup, butter, Fruit Juices, cake and fruit. This is the most complete breakfast offered from a hotel of Costa Maya.
Yes, I'm sorry we were out of fruit. We were just hit from Ernesto Hurricane and we did a enormous effort to clean the beach again and again from all the garbage, to clean all the rooms, to clean the restaurant and all the buildings outside and inside, to treat damaged gardens. After 48 hours from the Hurrican, before the arrival of our guests, our Resort was looking good however we kept working and working. I explained the customers we had no fruit and unfortunately we couldn't get fruit even for the second day of their stay because all our staff, including me and my husband, were really busy every day with the job and with the cleaning of the beach. We had no time to go to the village and our usual supplier was not delivering to us.
About the fruit on the table of the other guest, I already explained to the customer it was not provided from our Resort. The guest came with their own fruit and asked us to keep it in our fridge to be able to consume it on breakfast.
We don't have any reason to serve fruit only to some customers or to lie, for us all the guests are important!

4) Excuse me, but this comment is completely out of place! I'm pregnant of 7 months and a half, on October our first baby will born. My husband and I love children and we decided to receive families in our Beach Resort. We received many positive reviews on TripAdvisor that tell how families feel "at Almaplena like at home". We offer toys to the kids that play on our beach.
This family was always out on tours.

5) Unfortunately the last morning of the customer's stay, one of our workers (despite to our instructions) did some noise in a room, although was not close to the other accommodations. This shouldn't happen and we immediately apologized.

We know we are not perfect, but we do our best to please our guest and to make their stay memorable and relaxing.
We realize that Almaplena offers a different experience of that in a grand hotel, we are a small Ecological Resort. Its uniquness keeps people coming back over and over again.
We regret the fact that this guest had such a negative experience with us. Probably they didn't understand the spirit of Almaplena. I would like to suggest to them, next time they will go to a hotel and have some complaint, would be better to inform the staff and management. This would be the only way to resolve problems and to improve the service.

Been to Almaplena Eco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!