“Beginner's reef diving” 4 of 5 stars

011-52-1-983-124-0235
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Dreamtime Dive Center is a PADI 5 Star facility in Majahual, Mexico on the Costa Maya. We are an ecologically conscious dive center and pride ourselves on being the safest, most forward-thinking center in the area. This is not only because of our amazing location right on the pristine white sandy beach, our custom built dive boats and well-maintained equipment, or our high safety record and professional service - but because we love to dive!
Radford, VA
“Beginner's reef diving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I really enjoyed the beginner's diving experience. I was really looking forward to the photo package for a great picture to put on my vacation wall at home. When the photos arrived they were of another person that was in our dive group. When I contacted the photographer he assured me that he would look at the date and photo numbers to send me the correct pictures or he would send me a refund. To date I have received neither and it is well over a year since my visit.
I understand that mistakes can happen and that they can mix the people up but they need a better way of knowing who is who and they should follow up on their refund promise.

Visited February 2012
Dreamtime2010, Manager at Dreamtime Dive Center, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you're diving experience with Dreamtime was memorable. Our sincere apology for the concern you had with your photo package. Please understand, we use free-lance underwater photographers to provide this service and were unaware of your concern. Please email us at info@dreamtimediving.com to further resolve your concern and/or receive an appropriate refund. Our goal at Dreamtime is to ensure the highest safety and level of customer satisfaction. We hope you will dive with us again soon!

Salt Lake City, Utah
18 attraction reviews
“A very organized dive with knowledgeable diver masters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

You put your gear together yourself. Divers are trained to do this (myself, included) and so it’s a good idea to this--puts you responsible to make sure your gear is working, but I confess that it’s always lovely to have someone else do it for me.

Boat was a little crowded--narrow mostly, so getting around with fins on before you dove was always awkward and challenging. Boat also was shaded. Boat provided water and a cereal bar and sucker for snack during surface interval.

Provided excellent briefings before and after dives and had a board in the dive shop that had the depth, bottom times and surface interval. Good idea since I can never remember just by hearing what they tell me.

Videographer was along and my husband and bought a video for $60. She did an awesome job and we paid for it via paypal. She delivered it on schedule and it is a wonderful souvenir of our dive. No regrets.

Crew always took roll call after each dive. Love that (especially after watching the movie, “Open Water.”)

Visited December 2011
Dreamtime2010, Manager at Dreamtime Dive Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We are glad that you had a memorable experience diving with Dreamtime. We at Dreamtime, pride ourselves on having strong communication with customers so all divers are aware of the ins and outs of each dive. Hope to have you dive with us again soon!
San Jose
57 attraction reviews
“Not Much to Choose From”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Costa Maya has become a common stop for the Cruise Ships and there is little to do there. The nearby fishing village of Mahahual hosts some restaurants, small hotels and the Dreamtime Dive Center. Since Dreamtime is the contractor for the cruise lines, they won't take private bookings if you are on a ship and they are they only game in town, so booking via the ship is the only option. This means that you are paying more (the ship takes a cut) and you are diving with what ever passengers happen to book. On my trip, there were about a dozen divers from the ship. At the pier we completed the usual liability release and were asked about our experience level. That information seemed to be immediately ignored and the dozen divers were divided into two groups of six, each with a dive guide.
The briefings were reasonably complete about the boat and safety procedures. The dive briefing covered depths and procedures. It would have been easy to separate the divers into the groups based on experience, but instead we were simply divided by where we happened to sit on the boat. That meant that each group had both novice and experienced divers.
We were told that maximum depth on the first dive would be sixty feet, even though the reef went down to 80 and that we had to stay above the dive guide. The dive ended when the first diver was down to 700psi. The result was that we saw very few fish and the dive ended when I had almost half my air left.
The second dive was to a maximum depth of only 40 feet. It was very frustrating to see interesting things below, know I had a lot of air left and not be allowed to go there. Incidentally, this is one more Caribbean reef that is infected with Lionfish.
I guess diving even under these conditions is better than not diving, but this was not a rewarding dive experience. Perhaps for a novice, it would have been a good trip. I just left thinking how much better it could have been. I would have rated it a little below average, but not all the way to poor.

Visited January 2012
Dreamtime2010, Manager at Dreamtime Dive Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! While Mahahual is a little town we pride ourselves in being one of the finest Dive Operations in Mexico, in safety, equipment and passenger enjoyment! We always do our best to match divers based on experience level. Since receiving your comments we have taken extra steps to make sure divers are better paired to give each diver a more pleasurable experience. Thanks again for your comments they have not gone unnoticed and we hope to see you back diving with us some time in the near future!
Lakewood, WA
27 attraction reviews
“Definitely welcome to customers, which is not common at all among cruise ship excursion companies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

This is one of four reviews I wrote after four dive excursions on a Carnival cruise of the Western Caribbean. Each review begins with some general observations that are probably old news to people who go on cruises and take dive excursions. We went on the cruise that stopped at four famed West Caribbean locations because we wanted to find out which dive spots were as good as our favorite haunts in Hawaii. The dive masters and crews don't seem to care anywhere near as much as when you are staying on land and doing more business with the company (the shop in Costa Maya being an exception) and they don't point very much out when you're on the dive. My wife and I couldn't agree why; I thought it was because they were apathetic about cruise divers, while my wife said maybe there just wasn't that much to point out in the Caribbean compared to better locations in Hawaii.

Ether way, the end result is that they got you safely into the water and out in 40-45 minutes regardless of how much air anyone had left or how there was plenty of time to get back to the cruise ship. It cracks me up as I look at my dive computer: 45, 39, 41, 46, 43, 44 and 34 minutes. The crews bothered to help set up the equipment if you asked. Otherwise you were on your own, and I guess that's fine if you haven't been spoiled by better care. The equipment was old, especially in Mexico. Only one site out of four had integrated weight systems. The rest used weight belts. Of all four excursions, the one on Costa Maya did offer us a snack between the dives, a nutrigrain bar. Hey, it was something.

This apathy seemed very strange to me. My wife and I were ready to book a full vacation at any of the four dive shops we saw through Carnival and now, with the possible exception of the one in Costa Maya, I wouldn't go near any of them with a 10-foot pole. This seems like a lost opportunity to me; if I ran a dive shop, I'd ask the crew that takes care of the cruise divers to try to impress them so people want to come back and spend more money.

So with all that background, here's the word on Dreamtime in Costa Maya: these guys were my favorites of the four. They were just so happy to see people and seemed so happy to see us; you get the sense Costa Maya is still recovering from the horrible hurricane that leveled them a couple years ago. Once on the water, it was pretty much a serve-yourself type thing. You sort of got the sense you were being led around as much as conducting underwater exploration. This was the most picturesque stop; a very real Mexican village with housing that you'd never want to live in yet surrounded by breathtaking scenery and beaches. The boats were small, which allowed them to split the divers into small groups but also meant the boats were cramped.

Visited January 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and are very glad you had a experience worth remembering. If you are still looking for a Mexican vacation spot... we challenge you to come back to Costa Maya. Since Hurricane Dean in 2007, the town has rebuilt and become a very quaint vacation spot. We would love to give you the opportunity to do some more diving. Hope you take the challenge and we see you again soon!
Indianapolis
3 attraction reviews
“Great Dive Center!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Booked a 2 tank dive with my 14 year old daughter through Royal Caribbean. This was her first saltwater dive. From the time they met us at the dock, they were very well put together.

Our boat had 6 divers, 2 divemasters, a pilot and a mate. They did a great job helping my daughter become comfortable. At the end of our first dive, my daughter experienced a nosebleed that scared her a bit. They gave us the choice of doing our second tank dive or going ashore. My daughter chose to sit the second one out. They sent a car to come get us, take us back to the dive shop (with a divemaster), helped us clean up our gear (we brought our own) and continued to converse with my daughter so that she would be comfortable diving again. (and not be scared to do her next dive in Aruba) They also paid for our taxi back to the ship.

Very friendly. Great value. Good equipment. Would highly recommend!

Visited December 2011
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are happy to hear you and your daughter had a great experience diving with Dreamtime. At Dreamtime, we pride ourselves on having high safety standards and great customer service. It is good to hear you noticed this to be true. Hopefully your daughter was able to get back in the water when you reached Aruba! Thanks again and we hope you're able to come back and dive with us soon.