“Had a great time staff was great but....” 5 of 5 stars

984-134-7357
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Mahahual
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Description: Mahahual’s premier ocean front dining experience. A unique cultural and culinary blend of the best of Mexico and the US. Our food, music and ambiance combine the tastes and flavors of both of these two wonderful countries. We are located on the Malecon right in the center of the downtown beachfront. We offer comfortable inside dining as well as tables in the sand, just a few steps from the beautiful clear Caribbean waters. Best food and conversation in town!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Had a great time staff was great but....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were there from a Cruise and had this planned out a few months in advance, we arrived they greeted us, had our name down and took us right too our spot! We were the first to arrive from the ship so we picked a nice little shady spot, the water was clean, the beach was clean(except for the natural sea sticks etc)...and we enjoyed it.. The drinks could have been a little colder, the food was excellent and fresh..the only complaint I have is that the bill was not itemized and was a little higher than I had expected, I didn't actually SEE the bill, but my wife paid and said they just gave her a total, after adding up what we drank/ate in my head I didn't really know how we could have spent next to 80.00 for just the two of us..just made me think that between the counter and our waiter a couple 20.00 bills might have been added somewhere..other than that its a nice friendly place, you will be asked by the local street peddlers constantly about buying something, but hey that is their job! They are friendly and if your going to buy something anyway on your trip, might as well have it delivered to you!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Costa_Maya_Dude, Owner at Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
When I saw the review, I was glad you enjoyed your day, however, I too thought $80 was very high for two people?? That and all guest receive a complete itemized check at the end of the day, so what happened to this guest was not typical and concerns me as an owner. My first thought was perhaps there was something like a massage on the ticket that the reviewer was not aware of? It could also be that someone just messed up on our end?? However, after seeing the photos of what you got, it began to make sense what might have happened. We do not serve that whole fried fish like in the photo and assume now that my waiters got that from the place next door, which they do sometimes as a courtesy to those wanting that traditional dish. My waiters are to always make sure guests know the fish is from the neighbors place and should have given you a price when you ordered the fish. They usually bring the uncooked fish out first for the customer to check. At the end, they should have had two bills together, ours and the one for the fish platter. All food and drinks from the Tropicante are always itemized and I wonder if perhaps she was not given a separate check for the fish, causing the confusion. Even with that fish platter, which is often much more expensive than most realize, that platter was probably about $35, it would still be hard for two people to spend $45 on drinks at our prices. My waiters are really very good guys, if they were dishonest with guests checks, you would see it in the reviews and that has never happened so I don’t think they did anything tricky. They occasionally make mistakes because they get hurried but never dishonest or even tricky. But unless something else was on the ticket, like an activity, or that dish was much more than you thought, then something was not right and please contact me at 719-387-8115 US and I will try to make it right. Myself and my staff know how important our reputation is and would never jeopardize that by cheating a customer.

hull
“Facebook Party at Tropicante”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was the best day of our holiday, organised everything by email! We had a 50 strong group which filled the beach! Steve was there to welcome us and his waiter CHEWY was running round serving all day! Massages were BRILLIANT value for money and we are now planning our next cruise with the group to include TROPICANTE again, we even had a birthday in the party and Steve had made a cake ( haha) you know what I mean Steve!! It went down a storm as did the tequila, most of us lost 4 hours of our day and when the pics are sorted I will post hem on here! Thanks again Steve and see you next year.....Craig and the Demented Facebook Group....

• Visited October 2012
West Deptford, NJ
“Fantastic Beach day at Tropicante”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was a bit bummed that we had short port day in Costa Maya on our recent Fantasy crise – I think we had maybe a total of 5 hours in port. Our original plan was just to hang out at the port, because there are shops and a pool there. It was a nice port – but we only walked through…and right out of the gates.

We started to see this place pop up on the message boards and decided it sounded a little bit better then a cruise-line manufactured port. The place: Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill in the town of Mahahual. The plan: emailed the owner – Steve prior to sailing, to reserve some loungers. This is FREE of charge, if you promise to eat and drink from his restaurant. Steve was great to deal with, emails were answered with great attention to detail and within 24 hours! He let us know how and where to hail a cab and how much we should be paying for the cab as well. He answered all of my questions and even gave me a tequila lesson – which was to be continued once I arrived!

The weather is looking great and I can’t wait to get to our destination. We take a 5 min stroll through the port – as it is not clearly marked how to get out. I suppose they want you to stay and spend your money there.

We walk a block outside of port – everything seems safe – and speak to a cab driver about taking us to Tropicante. He takes us ($2 per person) and we arrive in about 5 minutes, safe and sound. The driving in Mexico does leave you a bit nerve racked. I wonder if they do that to boost tequila sales once you get to your destination

We walk from the cab right to the beach, speak to our waiter who walks us to our loungers and just drink it all in for a minute. This is a beautiful tropical paradise right on the beach. If I looked to my left I could see our ship. Deceiving though – because the walk would have taken a good 45 minutes to an hour. The kids went right to playing in the sand and water, while the adults ordered a few cold beverages

Steve, the owner, chatted with us a bit. He was always visible for the whole time we were there chatting with all of his guests and making sure everyone was having a fantastic time. Aside from food and drink, you can also get a massage, snorkel, banana boat, and many other activities. We were just happy to eat, drink, and play in the water. The food was good. Though it was mostly Mexican fare, it was American enough to please pickier eaters too.

I was sad to leave - and would definitely recommend this place to anyone in the area, or cruisers looking to have an amazing beach day.

Irmo, SC
“Nice place to spend an afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A real pleasure from the reservation all the way through the stay. If you are in Costa Maya on a cruise - venture outside the port area...Steve was a wonderful host - we reserved a table and a couple of lounge chairs ahead of time and he had them waiting on us. The food was very good and the wait staff was very well trained. The beach vendors are there but would move on when told no thanks. Steve generally stops by and meets everybody - a very interesting guy (a realestate investor who moved down from the US). Contrary to many US citizens belief this part of Mexico is very safe...no issues with getting cabs to go anywhere.

Winter Springs, Florida
“An amazing place not to be missed!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were a group of about 30 people. Steve was emailed prior to our arrival and had everything ready for us. The beach area was amazing with loungers, tables and umbrellas. The water was so inviting. His wait staff was remarkable. They catered to your every need...from getting us great $25/hr massages that were so good some even went back for seconds, to ice cold drinks and great food. The waverunners were a blast. This is not a place to miss and look forward to returning again.