“Peace, relaxation, and sun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

Save Saved
You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
San Antonio, Texas
“Peace, relaxation, and sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was our second visit to the Royal Suites. I'll start with transportation. We used a VIP transportation service at Cancun-Airport.net This was the third time we have used this service. We love that it is private because you go straight to your hotel. The drivers are all great, bilingual, and very helpful. I highly recommend them. Took about 1 hours from the airport to the resort.

We went last year in May and the Royal Suites did not have their own lobby or bar as it was being renovated. So, we were anxious to see the new lobby bar. It is gorgeous! Beautifully decorated, staff were very friendly and helpful--definitely an improvement over last year. There are pastries and coffee in the morning and then they have light snacks during the day. There are 2 beautiful outside decks. The Royal Lobby and bar are exclusively for use by Royal Suite guests.

The room: we booked a one room suite. Very nice. It had a separate living room with sofa, desk, and chair and a small balcony. Flat screen TV too. There was a large bathroom that had tons of natural light. The bedroom had a comfy queen/king size bed, flat screen TV, and a large balcony. The balcony had 2 chaise lounge chairs and a Jacuzzi. We were very pleased with the room and the service of staff.

The Royal Suites is part of a larger complex within the Grand Palladium, and it is an adults-only resort. That is the main reason we liked it. The entire complex is quite large but all of the other properties are beautiful. The entire complex is beautifully maintained and the beach is gorgeous. I absolutely adore the Spa area and spa pool at the resort--which is included if you are at the Royal Suites. The infinity pool at the spa is so peaceful. The Royal Suites also have their own pool with bar service next to the Royal lobby.

I know several reviews comment negatively on the fact that the Royal Beach is a bit of a hike from the Royal Suites. But, guests of the Royal Suite have use of Royal golf carts that take you anywhere--the spa, a restaurant, the Royal Beach. Can you imagine whizzing by groups of people who are looking at you with that face that says "hey, why can't we get on that golf cart?" Hilarious! All you do is ask lobby staff or bar staff anywhere on the resort to call a cart for the Royal Suite and they come. You sometimes have to wait 5 minutes or more but it's not a big deal. And my husband always tipped $2 anytime we got a ride. It was not expected but that's what we wanted to do. So, the Royal Beach is really a section of the beach sectioned off with bali beds and lounge chairs. It has bar service. Staff regularly walk around that area only and take drink orders. In the mornings they bring you a lovely grapefruit half filled with fresh fruit. Around noon they go pass out sandwiches. I have to say the service at the Royal Beach is exceptional. The only negative is that it is truly not beach front as it is several feet away from the water, but to me that was not a big issue...just walk 15 or 20 feet and there's the water. And the water was so clear while we were there--turquoise blue and it made you think you were in a swimming pool.
As a guest of the Royal Suite you have access to all beach areas, and all amenities at the resort. You can also dine at any of the restaurants. Here are my suggestions: 1. have the lobby staff make your reservations for dinner for each nite. It is a good 1 hour wait if you try to do a walk-in at any of the restaurants--except El Jardin, which is just for Royal Suites guests, 2. make reservations for the beach BBQ they have one night a week. The food was the best we had, 3. Do not, under any circumstances, get dragged into listening to their sales pitch for the Travel Club, 4. Explore the entire resort complex--not just the Royal Suites. The church, flamingos, exotic flowers, etc. are all worth a look, and 5. take the time for a walk on the beach by moonlight. You won't regret it.
What didn't I like about the Royal Suites? I can sum it up in two words: food and sun. It was freakin' humid there and I know not much can be done with that. But if expect cold American-style air conditioning, you are going to be very disappointed. Overall, I didn't think the food was really that great. I can't say more than that but none of it, at any of the restaurants was very good. The food on cruise ships is way better. And why do they not serve cake for dessert? Everything is this mousse stuff that looks like it was made 4 or 5 days ago. Oh, and my biggest complaint...the alcohol...is not really alcohol. I get a major buzz off of just one martini...but at the resort I drank 2 or 3 alcoholic beverages in a row and got nothing--not even a burp! Even the liquor bottles they have in your room did nothing for us. Perhaps that's a good thing.
Overall, we had a very enjoyable, relaxing time at the Royal Suites Yucatan.

Room Tip: We were in Room 7173. Top floor, on the corner. TWO balconies with great views. The balconies are...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Laurie C,

First and foremost, thank you for believing in us and for making The Royal Suites your holiday’s destination, for us is really important to realize that our guests feel like home and become part of our Palladium family. We really appreciate your comments, especially because you know well the hotel and the service, so it shows us the improvement that we work for.

Sorry to hear you did not like the Alcohol but we try to have the highest number of international brands in Royal Suite Yucatan.

If there is anything further we can do, please, just let us know, and also please tell us when you would come again in order to make the proper arrangements and assure your vacations are fantastic.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Russian Black Sea Coast, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Thanks a lot for the grate holiday!!!!!! Perfect service, beautiful place , nice people. For sure we are coming back. My family was very happy!! Thanks a lot for personal of Royal Suites which helped us to organize unforgettable vacations. Special Thanks for Aurora. Hope see you next year!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear NadiaNadia777,

Dear ……

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Courtice, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I were at the Royal Suites for our 5th time from July 19-29/14. Our previous trips were amazing so we decided to spend more and stay 10 nights. Firstly, I want to thank Luis at the pool bar....he is amazing. Also, Andres and Samuel at El Jardins. Both of these gentlemen made our dinners enjoyable. Their customer service was outstanding. Andres, greeted us each night and prepared my wife a special dinner of her favourite foods. THANK YOU Andres.
However, we too ended up without air conditioning for 5 nights of a 10 night stay. We were very disappointed with the way the situation was handled. There was no communication from the management regarding the issue or any idea of when the air conditioning would be fixed. I do realize that things happen but it is the way we deal with things that matters. We did write a letter to the front desk and received strawberries and wine in our room.
However, we had also made comments to the bartender at the time about the foul language being used very loudly in the pool and the people wearing the bracelets (purple)for other areas of the resort at our pool. We were told that they were part of a large wedding party and were allowed to use the Royal Suites.. I guess that also meant they could use unacceptable language as well. As a professional I do not appreciate paying $5000 to listen to people swearing in the pool.
My husband filled our tub with cold water and got up twice each night to cool himself down as the rooms temperature was extremely hot and unbearable.
We have loved our previous stays but have decided that for our Nov 2014 trip we will try El Dorado Casitas as a couple that works with me at the bank highly recommends it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Marilyn W,

I am sorry to hear that your stay and experience at the Gran Palladium Riviera Resort and SPA was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

Regarding your comments about the incident of air conditioning, it was a situation beyond our control but we would like to express our sincere apologies because despite having done everything possible to fix the breakdown asap, and trying the best to accommodate our guests by offering the best solutions we had at our disposal. We perfectly understand the great inconvenience this may have caused, as it is not what you want to experience on your holiday and also not the kind of experience we are used to providing.

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

When you look at the grey sky outside your office window, and imagine a romantic escape in a sunny paradise - well the Royal Suites in Akumal is just that escape. We spent the last leg of our honeymoon at the resort, and had a wonderful time. Definitely worth a mention - the jacuzzi on the balcony of our room (and we didn't even have to fill it ourselves, that is how spoiled we were!). We spent most of our days at the Royal Beach, and ate almost without exception at the special Royal Suites restaurant, El Jardin. I could definitely recommend the lobster and the steaks.
We did have one or two small hiccups - as honeymooners we were a little surprised that our allocated room had separate beds! In the end the reception did offer to move our room on the second day, but as we were already happily settled in, we decided to stay put. (The room itself was absolutely lovely, and we really appreciated the new towel art every day.)
Special praise to our 'butler' Rafa, for his patience. (Especially the day that we decided to test all the pillows on our 'pillow menu'!) All the staff were really great - thank you for making our honeymoon so perfect. We are looking forward to making an anniversary trip in the future :-)

Room Tip: 3rd floor gives a little more seclusion for your balcony jacuzzi!
Dear LauraMac2014,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected, very good choice to stay at the Royal Suite Yucatan .We are very grateful to have their wishes met.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I would like to say I am a return guest at this hotel and not part of the travel club,I have traveled and stayed at mant hotels in Cancun and the RIviera Maya but once I found this hotel I found a new home and doubt I would stay anywhere else this may be along review but I hope it answers some questions that travelers may have.

The area is very safe and located about a hour south of the airport in Cancun ( by private transfer ,you can use AGI has always been reliable for a direct transfer) but for the less adventurous the main perk about staying here is you are staying at the most secluded and private part of the resort and have privacy and seclusion from the other 4 hotels that are part of this complex (you can go and use the benifits of all the othe hotels located on the grounds (pools,restraunts and drinks and activities but none of the other hotel guest can come to the Royal Suites unless they are guest.) The resort is huge,it is near impossible to see everything in a week that they offer but it cant be said that if you want something that this resort does not offer it , I have read some reviewes with people commenting that the resort is huge and not for people who dont like walking.When you are a guest at the RYS they have private shuttles for RYS guest that will take you anywhere on the resort you wish to go and come and pick you up when ready to return if walking is not for you. The grounts are beatiful and wel maintained and surrounded bu local wildlife and fauna. There are manmade rivers that flow throughout the property and have pontoon taxis that service a taxi service and scenic rides from almost all the lobbies so there is another mode of transfer again if walking is not for you.

The rooms :I have always stayed in the royal 1 bedroom suites. they basicaly have a large seperate living room w/terrace and a large seperate bedroom with seperate patio area w /chairs and huge jacuzzi tub on each back patio. each comes with stocked mini bar of premium liqours and drinks and is stocked daily,we just leave a note in fridge daily of what we want and it is restocked as requested and have never been denied (within reason) premium fine wines are of extra charge but the house wines are free and very good.
The rooms are very well air conditioned w/seperate controls in the living room and the bedroom, the rooms are tastefully decorated and just remodeled safes are provided in each room the jacuzzi tub on the back decks are a very relaxing way to end the day or spend a romantic evening.
All rooms are very nice as our friends have stayed in the jr suites and some in the Mayan suites.
we have always requested 3rd floor alittle bit higher up view is our prference, the hotel has always made every attempt to honor our request but understand this is not guarantee as rooms are booked far in advance and based off of availibility. there are limited ocean view from some of the corner rooms on third floor my best picks are building 70 and 71.

THE POOLS
they are everywhere! range from the private aduls only pool only for rys guest, or the larger pools for daily activities,swim up bars, also the secret pool (located in the middle of the jungle off the beaten path which is also a adult only pool a true hidden gem. The pools are meticulously clean and there is one that will service your daily needs.

THE BEACHES
I doubt there is another resort in the area that boast such along beachfront in the area there is a large saltwater pool along the coastline where there is a bar and well sun or shaded area with spacious bali bed or palaps ,the main beach area again is very large and boast very clear water for snorkrling,sailing and other free activities.chairs are plentiful and due to the size of the beach you never feel crowded for privacy.The RYS guest have a private area roped off for its guest only this is at the furtherest part of the resort and the private royal shuttles will drop you off and pick you up when requested.While it is not located next toy the RYS in proximity I think its location was selected for the RYS guest due to the seclusion and privacy of the location again always selecting the best for its guest!

The food:very good to excellent! there is something for everybodys taste.The RYS guest have a private restauny for their guest that services breakfast and dinner only and as a royal guest lobster is free and at the other restraunts will be free if yor request a royal lobster as a RYS guest,
The buffets for breakfast and lunch offer something for everyone and the service is quick and efficient. and dining areas are have always have been veryclean and prsentable,I have always been impressed with how well they service so many guest and are able to maintain how well kept the restraunts are.

The staff,I cannot begin to commend the staff and management for the dedication and pride that this resort takes in pleasing its guest,from check in to check out they excel at making you feel pampered and feel special on a personal level they bend over backwards to make your vacation a truly pleasurable hassle free relaxing vacation and the staff is like no other that I have experienced in my travels. Service is what they sell and provide!
The guest that are staying at the RYS have paid for the premium hotel and usualy conduct themselves as such.

I have found a new home away from home !

Room Tip: room 70 0r 71 3rd floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear mhollensbe,

Bradley, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My (now) husband and I travelled with a group of 35 for our wedding. Most oof our guests were booked in the white sand section, however those of us in royal suites found ourselves without a/c for the first few nights. Reception was not very helpful at first, but then we talked with the manager, Aurora, and she was great! She was so helpful throughout our trip.

The room was amazing. We stayed in a Mayan suite. The room was always clean. The maids went above and beyond. The bed was on the firm side, which I prefer so I slept well most nights.

Once the a/c was fixed, it was a great vacation. The wedding was beautiful and the coordinator, Nidia, was fantastic. She handled every detail perfectly. The photographer was friendly and took great shots, but finding him on the resort prior to the wedding day was difficult. There are two photoshops on the resort. The split the hours between the two, but no one else on the resort even knows they exist.

The bartenders and golf cart drivers are wonderful. Very friendly, funny people. We loved Freddy and roman at the main pool, and Armando at the adults only pool. Ask them to make their "especial". You won't regret it.

The pools and beach were nice. The spa pool is free to use for royal guests. It is calm and beautiful. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a relaxing afternoon. I also recommend bringing your own snorkeling gear. The rentals are hard to come by, and the reefs are so amazing you will want to do it everyday.

Room Tip: Mayan suites are very private, but far from most of the amenities.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Megan V,

Antelope, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was our 3rd or 4th trip to the Royal Suites. We have visited Mexico Palladium resorts 5 times. As usual the staff was great. Most of them remembered us (that could be a good thing or a bad thing).

We were upgraded and received a wonderful anniversary present. Rose petals, champagne, choc covered strawberries.

We had most meals at Jardin which is always great. For the first time we had dinner at El Dorado and that was really great.

For some reason I was attacked by mosquitos. I always carry an "Off Fan" and have never been bit before.

We really felt bad for the staff because the air conditioning for the Royal Suites went out. We have to commend the staff for handling this in a very professional and calm manner. I would not have been able to do the same. Things happen and you deal with it. With or without air conditioning I was sweaty anyway.

We love coming to this resort and are planning an annual trip. We have already started that. I have nothing negative to say except that since we were on the first floor we didn't know that the patio doors automatically locks. So we were locked out on the balcony. My husband jumped off the balcony and all I saw was two feet flailing all over. He was ok but I can't get the visual out of my head. It was another great experience.

Room Tip: The Royal Suites are the best. Quiet great benefits.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear lisaji,

For your next visit please contact us and we will try a good location in Royal Suite Yucatan.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!