“First Trip to ROYAL SUITES” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“First Trip to ROYAL SUITES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We have gone to the royal suites in PV and now for the first to the mayan. The weather was not the best lot of rain. For the hotel very nice. The rooms were great. The El jarden resturant for royal guests was good for supper but not impressed at all for breakfast ordered both on and off the menu food overcooked nothing like the one in PV where the food was better. No lunch had to go to the buffet not to bad but really busy. The PV location offers this and service was a lot better. The entertainment was great and the shows at night were good. The Rock n Roll show was the best We have seen. Very clean resort for such a big resort. Room service very good. No stomach issues at all. The salt water pool very nice. Lots of wildlife to see. Would return but would most likely go to PV Royal suites .

Room Tip: Very quit rooms at the royal suites
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Aurora C, Gerente at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Jpo78,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your most recent stay at Royal Suites Yucatán. Thank you for your compliments about the rooms and the restaurants, we hope we can meet your expectations concerning “El Jardin “ in your next stay. Once again thank you for taking the time to post about your accommodations experience. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Korschenbroich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We spent now 6 times here and we can say " super".
We have to thank for all efforts and excellent service " Aurora andher team Betty,Monica,Eduardo and all the others.
Jose Luis from the lobby bar made an excellent cappucino.
Also the service and food in the restaurant was very good. Reynaldo , Maunel and the other made a very good job.
Also many thanks to Luis from the sport center,who served us perfectly
For new guest please listen: The Royal Suites perform a perfec holiday,you can be sure.
So we go there again in 3 month.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leena & Peter,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and indeed for choosing to stay with us repeatedly. It always brings us such pleasure to welcome back returning guests.
We are looking forward to see you in March.
Gesegnete Weihnachten und ein glückliches neues Jahr!
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We visited between 16th November and 30th November 2013.

this is our third time at this resort and the second time in RSY, each stay has been fantastic, we have taken our son and daughter and they enjoyed it as well, so much in fact my son is returning in November 2014 to get married on the beach.

I found this trip as all the others a great experience, all the staff we encountered were friendly and polite and helpful.

We ate at all the restaurants and buffets, the food was always good and I never once felt that I had not been given enough, in fact many a time we could not eat a dessert we were so full (we are not small people either).

I can only agree with the positive comments posted because I did not encounter any negative issue's .

The new RSY lobby is great and the foot bridge is a welcome addition.

All the staff at the grand Palladium (gardeners, maintenance etc) as well as the staff at the RSY need to be applauded be the management, because they are the difference between a good holiday and a great holiday.

try the segways they are brill

Roll on 2014

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Maltby-to,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to write your wonderful review.
We are very proud of the wonderful staff we have at The Royal Suites Yucatán, we are thrilled and flattered with your kind comments. We are looking forward to welcome you back in November 2014.
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Arrived on the 3rd of December to Sunny 85 degrees ( very welcome as we were leaving the chilly North east of the U.S.), Check in went very smoothly takes all of ten minutes, guests get greeted with welcome drinks and big friendly smiles. Brand new Lobby with huge patio off the back which adds a great new touch to an already favorite hangout for us. They also have live music 4 nights a week in the Royal lobby, definitely worth checking out! Aurora,Betty and all the butlers are fantastic and take care of any need that comes up during the week. Always greet you with a smile and friendly hello. The butlers do a great job in making sure your vacation time is stress free and ensure every time you cross any of their paths if everything is in order. Isle did a remarkable task of setting up a romantic evening for wife and me with candles, champagne, chocolates, all while we were away at dinner. Wife was over joyed when we returned to the room to this experience.

Pool was not crowded, plenty of chairs available to take in the great weather. Santos at bar
( Luis on his day off) did their usual fine job. To the regulars that visit you can catch up with Luis in Riviera Lobby these days. Estaban worked the nights at the pool bar, we did search out William ( now at Porta finos Italian Restaurant) we do miss our evening chats at the pool bar with William. I know when our children return they will be hoping he is back at the pool as he made all of their evenings on the June vacation a great time.

There are so many great choices for food it is impossible to get to all of the restaurants in one week. this trip we did Ribs & More ( wife favorite) for Rib Eye Steak, Porto Fina for Lasagna
( and to visit with one of our favorite waiters from El Gardine the Royal Suites private restaurant , Onoreo).We did El Gardine the other nights and were thankful to see Joel in charge ( dear friend from Ribs n More) now in charge there. Also Javier was there on one morning another Captain who like Joel will make your dining experience memorable. The waiters Samuel, Rafael, Abraham and Manual were excellent as always.
Other food choices you have are the buffets, room service ( yenner will get it to you quickly and with a smile), Steak House, Brazilian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Mediterranean, & Seafood right on the beach at Punta Emila.

Speaking about Punta Emila the Sun Rise is fantastic there, plus you can toast with mimosa or coffee your choice. We made it 3 times this trip and thanks to Jose Luis ( pepe) and his supervisor Armando my wife had her fill of champagne toasts.

We spend a lot of time at the Royal Lobby bar with 2 great bartenders and 2 great friends, Jose Luis ( Pepe) and Filaberto. This trip we met Lucy who assists them now at the bar. If you are looking for a drink tip, Jose Luis makes a great cappuccino, and I always visit Filaberto every night for his Strawberry Daiquiri.

Entertainment is available throughout the resort both day and night. The Spa is to die for and the beach offers something for everyone whether its a walk, a swim, snorkel, boating, Royal Suite guests have their own area with bar & food service.

The resort just finished adding a water park in the Colonial Pool area, We now will be bringing the grand children so I can hang out and enjoy the area and pretend its all about the grand kids.

The Cart guys ( concierges) assigned to the Royal are the best group of people you can meet at the resort. They can save you time and ensure you have nothing but a remarkable experience at the resort. they assist anyone in need at any time. They are the true answer guides to any question. Luis, Frank, Augustine, Israel, Alberto, and Pedro represent all that is great about this resort. We clearly come back time & time again to this resort because of the people.

And on this vacation I got a glimpse into why you do truly feel like family when you visit. Behaviors can be taught but it takes sound leadership,mutual respect, a willingness to do what ever it takes to make a solid impression and a genuine love / passion for your job and for the Company you represent. Being in Mgmt myself I like to observe behaviors so I can learn on how to improve my skills to be a better leader. Knowing for some time now that the Concierges are an amazing group of men I watched their Captain Joshua on this visit. I saw him work right along side his men when a bus full of 80 people showed up, unloading luggage ,greeting guests always with a friendly smile and hello. I saw him chase down a guest to bring him something that was left behind, I saw him take time to talk to guests to see if they were having a good holiday / vacation. I personally saw him a year ago stop outside the main gate and take a picture of my wife and me in front of the Christmas tree because Pedro couldn't leave the grounds so he called him and asked him to do this for us. keep in mind it was 11pm and he was GLAD to do it for us.

So for us now its been 23 times, February 2014 will be 24 times to the same resort. We are asked all the time, why do you go back time and time again. I guess all I can say to you today is, Go get a drink with Pepe, Filaberto, & Luis. Have Dinner with Joel and the waiters at El Gardine, Have Betty and the Butlers prepare your room, Get one of the Concierges to take you through the resort or just watch how much Joshua loves his job, the team he has built and the guests
( new or repeats) and you too will make the Palladium Royal Suites Yucatan your home away from home. It's always good to be with FAMILY!

Room Tip: Request a 3rd Floor for best views
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write about your last stay and also for your continued loyalty and lovely comments.
We strive to make you feel a part of our royal suites family.
We look forward to one more year of unforgettable memories, adventures and stories.
Greenwood, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I enjoy traveling, and have stayed in 5 stars to budget resorts. We’ve been to Mexico previously, but this was our first visit to the Royal Suites at Grand Palladium. Here is our take on the property, which may be long:

After staying at this property for the week, I truly believe it offers an extremely great value for the money, and that is what I am always looking for. We thoroughly enjoyed the adult only sections, the beautiful room, the grounds, room service, the spa, and the great staff. As an all inclusive, I believe this is a great one. I would give this a 4 star rating, however, if you want 5 star, you need to pay the difference!! I believe that Royal Suites and the Grand Palladium offer quite a phenomenal value for your money whether you are traveling as a couple or a family (not staying at Royal Suites).

We did have a couple days of rain, and because the complex has so many amenities, we were able to enjoy other options. Had we stayed at a smaller resort, we may not have had options.

We met numerous return guests who just loved it there. We even met a couple who live at the resort three months out of the year. That confirms that people love the place.

GROUNDS
Upon arriving to the resort, the grounds are meticulously maintained. The roads are paved and very pretty. The paths to walk are all lit up at night, and the walkways are fairly easy to navigate once you have an opportunity to walk around the property. The entire property is beautiful, and to imagine someone came up with all of the walking paths and bridges is just incredible to me. They did an amazing job putting this resort together. I was impressed.

I would suggest asking for a tour of the property upon arrival to acclimate yourself. I didn’t realize this was offered, and it would have been a nice touch to familiarize ourselves with the grounds. We did take a separate tour to view the rooms in the various sections of the resort, and all are very nice!

I do wish there were more signs to help you navigate around the facility because it takes time to learn your way around the huge resort.

RESORT

Royal is the last resort in the Grand Palladium complex and is nice and quiet and private. The entire complex consists of Kantenah, Colonial, White Sand, Riviera, and then Royal. The other resorts are unable to utilize facilities at Royal, but Royal guests have access to the entire resort. There are so many options at this resort, that you will have plenty to keep busy.

ARRIVAL

We were greeted and checked in quickly, given a refreshing drink, along with general information about the property, and then escorted to our room. We were also given some paperwork to complete about when we would prefer the room to be cleaned, what type of turn down service and pillows were requested.

ROOM

The room has a big WOW factor upon entering. The bed had rose petals adorned around the room to really welcome us! It was a lovely touch. The furnishings were beautiful, the bed was comfortable, and the chairs were nice. The rooms are very large, and they offer a separate shower and bathroom in the Jr. Suites. We also had a nice sitting area, table, king size bed and flat screen television. There were only three drawers to place clothes, but there is a large closet with storage for clothing, shoes and it also has a safe.

A hair dryer is furnished, a mini bar is stocked daily, and you are supplied with a comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, shower gel, shampoo,and conditioner. In the Jr. Suites, you also receive a robe and slippers. The slippers were a nice touch so that you can walk around after your shower. Although, the rooms are meticulously kept, and appeared to be nice and clean.
There is twice daily maid service, and we actually turned them away on a few occasions simply because they work so hard.

The balcony is enormous. There are two large lounge chairs, a drying area for clothes, and the biggest Jacuzzi tub I have ever seen. Please do note that if you intend to use the tub, it might take an hour for it to fill (it’s THAT big).

The only thing I found odd was that the door to the bathroom door is open at the top and bottom.

If you upgrade to a Mayan Suite, the rooms are a bit larger, and also offer top shelf liquor in the room, an outdoor shower and a view of the salt water river that runs through the resort. It was really nice!

POOLS

If you prefer pools over a beach, this resort is definitely for you!! There are numerous pools to enjoy, and for every personality, from small and quaint to huge and lively.

The Royal pool is small, but we enjoyed it. We met many other travelers at the pool since you are in close proximity. It was perfect for us. There is also a small bar to get drinks and towels, and someone generally walks around in the afternoon to offer fresh fruit.

There are 2 incredibly enormous size pools in Kantenah/Colonial, and another in White Sands/Riviera. I have never seen pools this large. In addition, there is a very large, salt water pool right in front of the ocean. We saw some people snorkeling because there are fish in the pool. There are several pools located and spread throughout the resort, including at the spa, which are typically a bit more tranquil and beautiful.

BEACH

In front of the Royal complex, the beach is basically huge rocks. However, if you follow the pathway for about 8 minutes, you will find the beach. If you continue walking to the very far end of the complex near Kantenah, you will see the special Royal section of the beach. It is a beautiful stretch, and we enjoyed laying in the lounge chairs listening to the ocean. If you are a true beach person, I would highly recommend staying elsewhere. It is not a great beach due to the coral and the very rocky areas. If you prefer the beach, I would likely stay in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen.

BENEFITS OF STAYING AT ROYAL
This is the only section where you get room service. All other areas, you are not even able to pay extra for this. In addition, it is an adult only section which made it very nice and peaceful. You also have the ability to make dinner reservations at the restaurants. You can have lobster at the restaurant, and that is included in your stay All other guests pay extra for this. You receive free Wi-Fi in your room. The taxi is available to everyone, but Royal guests receive first priority. You also receive a mini fridge that is stocked, along with a wine fridge, but that is at an additional cost. We were advised that we would have a butler service. We didn’t see the butler very often. However, on our last evening, he did stock our room with chocolate strawberries and a bottle of champagne. This was a very nice touch. You also get the private beach area with the bali beds.

PALLADIUM TRAVEL CLUB

We took the boat tour to the Rivera, and this was the first time we saw the salespeople. It was on the day before our departure. We were offered $300 in spa credit to attend this presentation for 45 minutes, and I’m thrilled we did. We didn’t buy, however, getting the spa credit was absolutely worth it!! We met numerous people who were return visitors due to being in the travel club, and they were thrilled with their purchase and all seemed very happy. We prefer to try out various resorts, so it wasn’t something we were interested in. It was worth attending for the credit, and I would recommend doing it during some downtime if you have rain!

SPA/ACTIVITIES
If you enjoy spas, this place is for you!! The spa is amazing. I never thought of myself as a spa person until I encountered this spa. It’s enormous, it’s beautiful, and they have so many services to offer. Men and women were all enjoying the spa. In fact, once you entered, it was primarily couples. They have a rock “foot massage” to walk around; steam rooms; sauna; hot tubs; pools, basically anything you could imagine it’s here. I would highly recommend spending at least a half day at the spa.

There is also a trainer at the gym. My husband called him a small version of Van Diesel. Once I saw him, I knew exactly why he said it. The guy is the epitome of fit!

There is also a mini golf course, basketball, shuffleboard, volleyball and other activities. This was a nice touch to offer for couples and families. We did play a round of mini golf. The course is very small, but it was fun.

LOUNGE STAFF

The staff are really great. The bartenders are especially friendly, funny, and happy to help, especially those working at the Royal lobby. We enjoyed meeting others at the resort and just sitting down in the bar area chatting with other travelers and the bartenders.

FOOD

We were pleased with the quality of the food. We only ate at the Mexican restaurant, El Jardin (exclusive for Royal) one of the buffets, and we also had room service. They have many options, but because of food allergies, I am limited in the food I can eat. I have another section to address this issue. If you have food allergies, please refer to that section.

There are 9 options available at the entire complex. From others we spoke with, El Jardin, Japanese and Italian are the favorites.

FOOD ALLERGIES
If you have food allergies, and you do not speak Spanish, please read. This can be an enormous challenge at this resort. If I spoke Spanish, I believe it may not have been quite an issue. However, trying to order room service, and explain the issue was extremely difficult. One time, the butler did call to place our order for us so that it would be explained and they said they would mark our room accordingly. However, I believe they should somehow tag rooms so that all employees know of any potential issues. Prior to our arrival, I notified the resort of my allergy, and they indicated it would be accommodated. When we initially arrived at the resort, I was advised to ask for a Captain anytime I needed assistance. Unfortunately, each time I requested one, I was told there was not one there. I did report this to the main lobby as directed.

Unfortunately, I was plagued with issues while staying here. I have nut/tree nut/coconut and sesame seed allergies which can be life threatening. There were some that understood, and took the time to explain what I could/could not eat, but many who had no idea what I was saying. I even carried a card with me that the resort provided, along with one my friend had typed for me.

There was something they used for cooking that seemed to cause my allergies to flare during my stay. I had to take Benadryl on three occasions, which fortunately resolved the issue, but it was still very scary and I didn’t feel I got to enjoy our meals like I should have.

It is no fun dealing with food allergies, and certainly no one wants to have an anaphylactic issue while in another country. In comparison, when I was on a prior Carnival cruise, I was given a special assistant to help me decide what I could choose from the menu each day. There is definitely additional training that needs to be done for staff in this area.

OLYMPUS TRANSFERS

We utilized Olympus for the transfers from the airport to the resort. Overall, I was pleased with this service, the drivers were extremely pleasant and were safe drivers. The only challenge was that our resort was such a distance from the airport, we had a bit of a challenge when they were determining the time we would need to be picked up. It was about 1.5 hrs on the way, and nearly 2 on the return trip.

We had the shared ride, which I thoroughly enjoyed because we were able to see some of the other resorts along the way (Valentin, Secrets, Royal, Paradisus). We ventured out while waiting for the others at the Royal in Playa Del Carmen, and this place was very centrally located on 5th Avenue, and was gorgeous and on a great stretch of beach. I definitely want to stay here on our return visit to try it out!!

COMPARISON HUSBAND V. WIFE.
My husband said this was hands down the best resort we have been to in Mexico. He felt that there were so many activities and areas included that it would be a great fit for anyone. If I were to compare it, I still believe the Royal Hideaway in PDC was much nicer (however, also much more expensive). He enjoyed the more relaxed feeling, and that it wasn’t as pretentious and dressed up as Royal Hideaway.

We both agree that The Palladium complex offers a fantastic value for the money. We loved being able to walk the grounds, visit various lobbies, have the ability to shop, take a golf cart, boat or train and get where we needed to go.

If you have limited abilities as far as walking around, I’m not sure this would be a good fit for you because the complex is enormous. However, they do have the golf carts around to transport you, but I’m sure you might waste time waiting for someone to pick you up to transport you all the time.

Would I return in the future? My husband absolutely would. As for me, I would want to learn Spanish and make certain the staff was fully trained on the severity of food allergies. If you do not have this issue, it’s an awesome place to stay and I would highly recommend because all other aspects added to a truly a great vacation. If you are a spa or pool person, I would say to book now.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Frierson, La
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our 9th trip to the Grand Palladium Riviera Maya and the 8th stay at the Royal Suites. The new lobby is more open with much more light. As always, Filiberto and Jose Louis made our time at the lobby very enjoyable. The new lower bridge crossing the water was a welcome addition. The staff as always were very attentive to our needs. Santos kept the drinks flowing at the pool. I did notice over the years that some of the mechanical equipment is due for an upgrade. The golf carts used for transportation were out of commission several times during our stay. The food at El Jardine only seems to be getting better with each visit. We did not eat at any of the other restaurants on this visit. The beach Barbeque was not as good as in the past. We were looking forward to the wonderful skirt steak which was not available this time around. We did have some issues with the travel club but they in my opinion have not much to do with the resort itself. I would recommend the Royal Suites for an intimate getaway.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are the best for people that like to sleep in late. The lower floors tend to be a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from 2 fantastic weeks at RSY. The only thing we would say let it down was the terrible transfer by Thomson which took over 2 hours by the time we had called at 4 other resorts, come on Thomson this is not acceptable after a 10.5 hour flight! On arrival we were greater at the checking by nice cold drinks and taken swiftly to our room which was fab, clean, cool and massive. Good selection of drinks including Heineken and Coors which are only for RSY guests. We ate in all the restaurants apart from the Chinese and the food quality and variety was amazing. Le Jardin was great for breakfast, quiet and good selection, we also ate here several nights - coconut shrimp and the royal lobster to die for! We spent most days at the beach or by the royal pool, if we had 1 complaint it would be the royal beach is too far from the royal resort and not beachfront, to get there meant a buggy ride and this usually meant waiting half an hour or so to be collected! This is our 3rd visit to this resort, first in the RSY and will definitely be back! Special thanks to all the staff who were great but especially Lucy in the royal lobby, Santosh in the royal pool bar and Luis in the animation team - they made our stay really special!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!