“Good, but not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
San Antonio, Texas
“Good, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We booked 7 nights in a Mayan Suite at the Royal. My husband wanted a Mayan Suite because he saw that it was on a lagoon and comes with a canoe.

ARRIVAL. We booked a VIP transport using cancan-airport.net . We used the same company last year and were very happy with the service. For us, it is worth the money to have a direct transport, rather than stopping at many other places.

CHECK-IN. I had seen on Facebook that the lobby for the Royal was being renovated and had been temporarily re-located. However, what we got was not what we expected. The lobby itself is gone--it is being completely renovated and when we were there, nothing but a building frame was there. The lobby is located in a very small suite--actually 2 casitas down from our room. It is cramped and hot. The ladies at check-in were nice and explained many things. However, we later discovered that there were many things they did not explain--like how to obtain towels, how to contact our 'personal butler', how to order any of the suite amenities, etc. We aren't picky but if we pay for something then we expect it. On many occasions we asked reception about our room, the canoe, etc. and had to ask them twice because our original request was never taken care of. We found that frustrating. We asked about booking excursions and were told we had to go to one of the other resorts to book. They just didn't seem to want to help--they were not rude but just not helpful.
THE ROOM #7218 We loved the room. It was very large with plenty of space. It came with a fridge that was stocked daily with beer and soda and 4 bottles of liquor are included--rum, tequila, vodka, and scotch. Your’ allowed to request a particular beer and my husband asked reception if they could stock with just Heineken. They said of course! Did they follow-through? No, they did not. We had to ask a second time and still NOTHING. Finally, we just asked housekeeping directly when they were in the room. The bathroom is beautiful and I loved the outdoor shower BUT people on the top floor of the building across from us could see right into our shower, so we had to use an umbrella to block their view. The patio is very nice and shaded and comes with 2 lounge chairs and a hammock. The canoe was delivered but only after we made 2 requests. The nearest ice machine is across the bridge in the building across the lagoon—not really convenient.
FOOD Honestly, we will eat anything and aren't picky. But the food was hit or miss for us. The steak and Japanese places were great but I can't say we really liked anything else. I mean, for lunch I just wanted a freakin' sandwich! Lunch at the resort is available only via the large buffets. Breakfast was interesting...I don't know who eats enchiladas or beef stroganoff or chicken breasts for breakfast, but they were all part of the breakfast buffet daily. Apparently, each of the restaurants rotate nightly as an 'adults only' night. Alas, no one in reception ever told us that. Room service was awful and cold—perhaps because the Royal is so far away. Do not order room service.
PEOPLE We were in the Royal section, which was adults only. Lots of honeymooners. We saw at least 2 weddings every day. We were surprised with the number of folks from Europe--lots of folks from France and Russia. There were plenty of families with kids at the other resorts.
THE RESORT Palladium is really 5 sections within one big complex. The Royal section is adults only and folks in the Royal can use any of the facilities within the complex and also have access to golf carts that drop you off and pick you up anywhere. Royal guests have to wear a silver wristband to identify themselves. The only true adults only places are the Royal restaurant "El Jardin" and 2 or 3 adults only pools. The spa is also 18 or over only. Royal guests also have a Royal beach --more on that later. Otherwise, everywhere else you go you will find families.
THE BEACH The beach is very nice and the water is blue and beautiful. However, the Royal suites are on one end of the resort and the Royal Beach on the extreme opposite end. We did have a golf cart drive us out over there and usually that wait was about 5 minutes but to get a golf cart to pick us up from the beach and take us back to the reception area was a hassle. We often waited 20 minutes and a few times no one ever showed up so we just walked to the nearest lobby (Kantenah Resort). The Royal beach is just a section of the beach that is roped off. It has bar service and several Balinese beds. It was very nice but because it is sectioned off, there is no view of the ocean. In fact, the beach between the Royal section and the water is open to all guests in the complex. I liked the beds in the Royal area but my husband wanted to be able to see the water and be closer to it.
SPA We didn't do any spa services, but the Spa complex itself is awesome. Beautiful eternity pool with a lazy river...the kind of stuff you see on TV. It was really nice and we spent a lot of time at that pool.
THE RESORT The complex itself, with all 5 resorts, is very pretty. It is well maintained and clean. The lobbies for the other resorts are all open air and I just loved the concept. It is in a great location and just really very pretty.
SERVICE The service from wait staff was very good. Everyone was real polite and the golf cart drivers were really nice too. I cannot say the same about the staff in the reception. Rooms are supposed to be cleaned daily and the rooms are supposed to get turn down service with chocolates on the pillow. However, we only got turn down service 2 nights out of the 7 nights! And that’s even after we mentioned it to reception. My husband went a third time to personally ask for it and still nothing! The worst thing is that they really didn’t seem to care. Towels were only replaced 3 times even though we had towels on the floor. Most days we had to make do with just one bath towel. When we did check out, it took less than 5 minutes. They seemed irritated that we had no balance—we hadn’t spent money on spa services, excursions, etc. But really that’s only because we couldn’t get their help with that so we just gave up trying. When we checked out, reception staff really didn’t seem to give a hoot. Did we like our room? Did we enjoy our stay? Was everything ok? They don’t know because they didn’t ask. I thought that was rude. You’d think they’d want our business again.
OVERALL We enjoyed our trip and had a nice time (anything is better than going to work) but we do not plan on returning. Keep these things in mind if visiting this summer--the Royal Suites has no lobby and thus there is no bar at this time exclusively for Royal guests. Why Palladium just didn't think to relocate the check-in to the Riviera lobby next door is lost on me. That would have been so much better. Also, the noise from the construction is VERY loud and right next to the Royal pool. Several guests commented that the Royal pool was not very relaxing because of the constant noise. While our room patio was nice, the noise from the construction made it not so relaxing. The Royal beach is much too far from the Royal suites and overall, the entire complex is too big for my taste. Some people will like that it is so big, but I simply prefer something a little smaller--like the El Dorado Seaside Suites which is next door. Finally, there is nothing really 'adults only' about the Royal other than the 1 restaurant. The adult pools, the Royal beach did not seem exclusive in any way...no one stops kids or families from entering them.
Again, nice place. But if you are looking for something truly adults only and want the perks of 5 star resort, this is not the place. If you want to take the whole family and are fine with a Disneyland-like set up, then this could be the place for you.

Room Tip: Mayan Suites in the 7000 area (like 7218) have outside showers but people in the building across the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Saint Albans, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We Just got back from an amazing wonderful week at Royal Suites, we really enjoy that it is adult only and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. It very very clean and exquisite....the staff make you feel like you are their friends... especially Jose Luis, William, and Luis at the Royal pool... the drivers Pedro, Alberto,Isreal and Frankie were very punctual when we called for a ride, as we are senior citizens rides were welcome. The food was excellent every where we ate, we never had a bad meal....we are looking forward to going back to the same place again next year.

Room Tip: We request first floor, but there are 3 floors in each house, the rooms are all basically the same...
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We booked this hotel based on reviews and previous travelers recommendations. My boyfriend and I stayed 5-3 to 5-10. This is our third time to the area and absolutely love it, the RS was good but I'm not sure we will be back.

Upon arrival in Cancun we got through customs, etc in less then an hour. Booked USA-Transfers (highly recommend, used them every time we've come) Be sure to print your voucher for arrival (I printed both arrival and departure but they only needed arrival). It was about an hour ride to the RS. When we first pulled in our driver took us to the wrong lobby since RS lobby was being worked on I don't think he knew where to go but it was ok, gave us a little tour of the hotel set up.

Check-in: I was truly disappointed without the lobby there for multiple reasons I'll list below but check-in was just not the same without a efficient lobby area, I understand the safety of having to fix the RS lobby though and I thought the lobby wouldn't be a big issue for us but once we arrived and throughout our stay it did have an impact. Our room wasn't ready yet so we walked around, got a drink at the pool bar, by suggestion of another guest we asked for a little tour of the resort from one of the cart guys. He was more then happy to help. He took us to all the highlights, we tipped him $5 for his time (he also dropped off people and picked up as we went along of course) and once we were back to the "lobby" we were good to go with our room. I had requested an upper floor, king bed and also mentioned we were celebrating a Birthday.

Room: We were given a room with double beds but on the 2nd floor in building 69. Loved our building location but hated the double beds. To the hotels credit, they did offer us to move on the 2nd to last day of our trip, they at least tried to help but our bed at home is bigger then what we slept in here. The room was spacious, definitely open concept (didn't bother us, but may some). We didn't understand the window in the shower room, our first night we thought one of us left the light on but it was the natural light. Not ideal if you want a dark room. I should mention we booked through Expedia and didn't have a choice in rooms except to book J.S. and we put king bed preferred with our booking and emailed the hotel a week before arrival for king, if we could we'd upgrade to the suites with the additional room (not the cabana's). The name escapes me. Jacuzzi was nice, just used the bath gel to add bubbles. Turndown service was very good, had it every night except our last night. The previous hotel we stayed at we never got turndown even though we should have, it was nice to have. Overall a nice room.

Grounds: This is a jungle resort, not on the beach (knew this going in, I recommend to read the forums and the Palladium website for tons of info). Very pretty grounds, always workers cleaning up. Walking can be much, the carts come in handy! We used them more then I think we thought we would. Bring bug spray.

Food: So subjective but here are my thoughts.
We used room service everyday. Breakfast was good- choice of three breakfast options. We always went with the royal breakfast. After the pool, day activity, etc we'd order snacks before dinner since we weren't eating until 8pm (more on that later) We had the steak sandwich, poppers, hamburger, fruit plate, wings (spicy and delicious), chicken fajitas (also delicious). We'd grab a sandwich and pub mix from the pool bar which was nice. I'd recommend the hotel to get a grill by the pool to have a chef grilling out for the RS guests. Punta Emilia was so nice for lunch, right at the water. Good food too.
For dinners I didn't see in reviews previous that there is a salad bar at each restaurant. I don't like buffets and having to get up for our salad was kind of annoying but this is probably just me since I haven't seen anyone comment on it before.
Our 1st night we had El Jardin, here you can order salad that they'll bring you. I enjoyed what I ordered and also had soup, can't remember the names of either :/ I'm not big on lobster so I had the ribeye. Found out you can do the fondue as well but found this out the next day so didn't try it. We walked into El Jardin with no issue without a reservation. Ribeye was ok, good for Mexico steak. Potatoes were not good at all, tasted like out of a box.
2nd Night-Japanese (we didn't do the table, DO the table). Generic tasting sushi, got the pork skewers and BF got the chicken. He said it tasted like cardboard. Needless to say we did not like the Japanese. I don't think they do salad bar at this restaurant or we just didn't know to go up so didn't try that.
3rd night we ate at the Mexican restaurant, La Adelita. We went with another couple we met at RS and had a great time, good food too. I had the flank steak, which was great. BF had the chicken fajitas and he enjoyed them. Really enjoyed the salad bar at this restaurant. The avocado was so good!
4th night we had Punta Emilia. This is a must try! Loved this. Started with octopus salad and garlic shrimp (I tried to get the coconut shrimp but the waiter told me they didn't have that, found out that is not true. I wish I would have spoken up about it....) Apps were ok, also had the egg soup. Must try! BF got the lobster and I got the steak with blue cheese, amazing potatoes underneath. Best thing I ate all week, loved it!!
5th night we had Narestrom (spelling?) the Mediterranean restaurant. I wasn't feeling well at this restaurant so can't review that well on it. We skipped salad bar, BF had the lamb which he still talks about, he absolutely loved the spearmint sauce and lamb. I ordered the chicken but only had one bite since I had awful heartburn (my own fault, darn those delicious wings from room service)
6th night we had the Italian. I loved this restaurant as well. We did the salad bar, delicious Caesar. I ordered the minestrone soup which was good. I heard the portions were huge here so I went with an entrée instead of pasta which I recommend and ordered the stuffed chicken and asked for a side of pasta since I wanted to try that as well. Our waiter was awesome and brought me a side of penne with the arrabiata sauce. Spicy and delicious. We even got three desserts here too, needless to say we were stuffed and happy.
7th night we did Ribs and More. I would not go back. I got soup and the BF got the onion loaf. Both were ok. We did the ribs but ordered veal and I think we should have gotten pork. I'd recommend to ask the waiters recommendations, we didn't at this restaurant and should have. They looked and tasted underdone and just tasted gross.

Overall, the food was good. We've had better at our previous resort though so maybe our expectations were high.

TIPS: Make reservations for each restaurant you want to try, we booked this hotel thinking no reservations required. They are not required but you'll wait an hour and a half without them. We usually ate between 7-9. I made the reservations for 8pm each night. Saw a couple from our same resort without reservations and told 2 hour wait. I thought Royal had priority but doesn't matter with wait time. This alone would make us choose a different resort.

The resort has alternate days for adult only restaurants. I'd say to plan around that if kids really annoy you, we sat next to families and kids at most places.

The beach is large but packed, if you want chairs you'll need to get up earlier then later to get them. The beach is rocky except in some areas you'll find soft sand. It was very nice though. The RS beach area is a joke (knew this before going) It was on the other side of the whole complex (not by RS at all) and you will not find a seat there anyway. We didn't see beach service at all.

The lobby bar was sadly missed, we'd do tours (our own haha) of the different lobbies and try drinks at each one in the evenings but it was not the same. We'd usually end at the pool bar area in the evening and that was nice.

The pools are deeper then the other hotels we've been to previously. I know to some it may not matter but just wanted to point it out. Bring floats. The only pool we experienced that was "normal" water height was White Sands. We tried all the pools and beach and salt water pool too. Salt water pool was a relaxing area, we enjoyed the RS pool the most with White Sands being 2nd. With the construction going on it wasn't as relaxing as it could be but hard to avoid at the RS.

The cart guys are amazing and work hard. We'd ask the bell guy to call for RS and they had no problem with that. We waited the longest about 15 minutes. Otherwise it was never too long of a wait.

We tipped and I wish we brought more since everyone works so hard to please at this hotel. Service was the best we've had then any other resort.

Overall, would we go back? Yes, but with a group. It seemed busy all the time with people, not very romantic feeling. Also, not to offend but we noticed we were in the minority with being American. You will hear all kinds of languages here, very interesting to people watch.

Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This trip marked our (my husband and I) fourth trip together in about 8 years to either Cancun or Riviera Maya. The first two were alone and the last two were with a group of other couples. Most of us have children so we like to get away and relax with lots of options for dining with no children. This was all of our first trip to a Palladium resort and although we did have fun, this was not our favorite place to stay out of all of the other places we have ventured. My husband and I have stayed at Dreams, Fiesta Americana, and the Valentin. (Others in our group had stayed at El Dorado Royale and Excellence.) Also, you have to wear wristbands everywhere. They have different colored ones for the different resorts on the complex.

Let me start by saying this resort is HUGE. As in it's at least 5 hotels in one. There are definitely more upgrades (such as lobster at 2 restaurants), and the large hot tubs on each balcony for the Royal Suites. They did have free golf cart shuttles to everywhere in the resort and they were pretty prompt when we would ask or call.

Rooms: Our rooms were really close to the pool at the Royal Suites which was really nice. Down side of this pool, they are currently building a new lobby for this particular part of the resort so it was VERY loud, smelly (from the equipment), and men up on scaffoldings watching us--so we moved to the other pools in the resort for the last 2 days. The TVs were mostly in Spanish and we couldn’t find a way to put in other language sub-titles. We found that the Royal Suites did have the largest and nicest rooms though. We all had tiny little ant-like bugs in our rooms too and it may have been from the flowers they brought in each day? Also, we reserved online for King sized beds and 2 couples got 2 double (not queen) in our rooms that we asked to change several times and they never called us back. Super annoying when it’s a smaller bed than you sleep in at home.

Restaurants: ALL sit down restaurants require men to wear pants. We didn’t see this in any of the reviews so two of our guys only had one pair of pants. El Jardin is the ONLY, I repeat ONLY adults only restaurant all the time in the whole resort. And it's only open for breakfast and dinner. We LOVED it for both. The omelet bar in the morning, and the coconut shrimp, lobster, and steak for dinner were fantastic. The pool at the Royal Suites does have a poolside menu for lunch but order 2 sandwiches or wraps per person because they are only 1/2 sandwiches with no sides. None of the sit down restaurants are open at lunch. Only buffets--and it's the same food at each buffet. Every day. Compared to other resorts we have stayed at, the buffets were sub-par. With all of the other resorts being aimed at families, they rotate the other restaurants that are childfree each night. (The RSY is the only one you can make reservations through for each of the restaurants though. Which is nice.) Although, the first night we did not have any reservations and our group of 8 got in really easily. The restaurants offered a large variety of cuisines and were very filling. We ate at Ribs & More, Portofino, El Jardin, and Sumptuori. All were great and we wish we could have tried more.

Pools: The pools are all really deep as in about 4-4.5 feet in most areas. All of us ladies had a hard time standing up and holding drinks at times. The only 2 swim up bars are at the White Sands and Kantenah (the bigger pools). The pools are also salt water and huge so they had algae issues. All of our bathing suites were yellowish-green when we got out. Luckily it came out after a good wash at home with vinegar.

Overall again, we had a great time. One final piece of advice: they do have a timeshare/travel club they will try and sell you. We were not impressed by the resort enough to consider it but did meet people who had purchased it and loved it. The main thing we didn’t like was that it is definitely advertised as Adult Only and it definitely is not in 95% of the resort.

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our 13th trip to an all-inclusive resort in the Mayan Riviera and our 4th to the Palladium. We previously stayed in the Kantenah, Colonial, and White Sand sections. We made our reservations for the Royal Suites several months before our trip after seeing the 40% off Palladium Addict code on the Fiesta web site. Combined with a free companion ticket by using Frontier frequent flyer miles, our trip was relatively inexpensive.

We left our home on Tuesday morning in a snowstorm and had a very treacherous drive to the Denver airport. We arrived in Cancun at 3:30 PM, were the first ones off the plane, had no one in front of us in immigration, and were at baggage claim 10 minutes after the plane landed. However, it took over 1½ hours to claim our luggage and fight a loosing battle about our destroyed suitcase. We’ve used USA Transfers for our past several trips and did so this time as well; they had us at the Palladium by 6:00.

We went into the temporary Royal Suites lobby and were greeted by Alma, one of the most pleasant people you would ever meet. She explained that she had our room request but the resort was at capacity and our request could not be met – instead of a 3rd floor room with a king bed, all she could give us was a ground floor room with 2 beds. She asked us if we would mind staying at the White Sand for the first two nights in a suite and then move to the Royal Suites where we could have a 3rd floor corner room in building 69. If we accepted her offer, we would get 2 free massages, deluxe room decorations, and all Royal benefits while at the White Sand, except for room service. It sounded like the place was overbooked. My wife immediately said yes, primarily because of the free massages.

We left our luggage in the lobby, had dinner at El Jardin, and then went in a cart to the White Sand, accompanied by our butler. We went into our suite, room 5731, and it was fantastic – bigger and much nicer than some of the apartments we had when we were first married. Our cart driver then said he wanted to show us something – he took us out to one of the two balconies and pointed to our view - we were overlooking Punta Emilia with a full view of the ocean illuminated by a nearly full moon. All we could say was “wow”. I thanked my wife repeatedly for taking Alma up on her offer. Although the White Sand section has not been renovated, our room was in incredible shape with 2 wide screen televisions.

On our first 2 mornings at White Sand, we woke up very early and took a 3-minute walk to Punta Emilia where we had coffee and waited for the sunrise. We were soon joined by many other people we previously “met” on the Palladium Addict forum. We enjoyed visiting with our new friends throughout the rest of our stay.

On Thursday at about noon, a cart driver picked us up and took us to the RS where we had room 6925. It was also excellent and had a balcony with views on two sides.

On Thursday evening we went to the Palladium Addict get together, met lots of great people, listened to some wonderful music, and had a fantastic time. We are seriously thinking about returning to the Palladium for the next get together, assuming there is another discount code available.

When we returned to our room on Friday night, it was decorated with our promised “deluxe room decorations” – rose pedals artfully spread throughout the room and balcony, a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, probably 25 small candles throughout the room and balcony, champagne in an ice bucket, and our tub on the balcony filled with bubbles and rose pedals.

On Wednesday, we had breakfast, sat around the salt water pool, and had an early lunch at Punta Emilia before checking out at noon. Shortly afterwards, we headed to the Cancun airport and flew home, landing in another snow storm, and having another treacherous drive home. Lack of snow is just one of the many reasons I love Mexico.

What we did
We spent all 8 days this trip at the resort. Normally, we’ll go to Playa del Carmen, Akumal, or to a ruin but not this time. We spent most of our days bobbing around in the ocean near the Colonial beach bar, going on a daily walk to and from the pier at the El Dorado Seaside Suites (didn’t see any killer geese this time), playing in the water at the Riviera pool or adjacent adult pool, relaxing at the salt water pool, napping in our nest (balley bed at the north end of the beach), drinking, eating, and talking to people we met at sunrise or at the get together. We tried snorkeling at the Kantenah side of the resort but the water was usually too rough and getting into the water was a chore with about 5 feet of rock and coral before you get to soft sand. On two occasions, my wife had her free massages (much better than what she gets at home), while I enjoyed the spa’s pool and other amenities.

In the evening, we would go to Hemmingway’s, relax in the Riviera Lobby listening to music, sit on the beach and watch the ocean under a full moon, bob around in the Royal pool, or sit in our tub on the deck.

Eating
The good –The bananas foster made at tableside and coconut shrimp at El Jardin were the best things we had all week. We also enjoyed the lobster at El Jardin; steaks at El Jardin, Ribs & More, and El Dorado; lamb chops at Ribs & More and Mare Nostrum; a cod dish at Punta Emilia; and the shrimp at Mare Nostrum. For lunch, I often had the grilled-to-order grouper at Gran Azul or La Laguna – outstanding. The fruit basket in our room had a strange looking fruit – splotchy red egg shaped thing with a stem. It was kind of like a passion fruit but staff called it a Granada China. It had a hard shell and contained a disgusting looking mucous with seeds. It was great – I had several of them during the week. We ate a lot of coconut ice cream and nuts & almonds ice cream at many of the bars.
The disappointing – Chef’s Night at El Jardin was okay but not nearly as good as I expected. We had carrot salad, cream of eggplant soup, chicken meatballs, and a dessert made from spaghetti and Irish Cream. On Friday night, we ordered the lobster capellini at El Jardin – it was prepared tableside with a nice fire show but we didn’t much care for it.
The really bad - Thankfully, this list is small. The lobster we had at Ribs & More was totally overcooked, hard, dry, stringy, and bad tasting. The fish soup I had at Punta Emilia had a good broth but was full of large cubes of hard, dry, overcooked, and tasteless fish.

Drinks
My wife loved something called “Feeling Green”. She’s not a drinker but had one or two a day. She also enjoyed a Baileys or two in the evening. My favorite drinks were the Long Island Ice Teas at the La Jarra Beach Bar, Caesars, mojitos made by Luis at the Royal Pool Bar, Havana Club 7 with tonic, Grand Marnier, and Don Julio tequila at Hemmingway’s, the Royal pool bar, or El Jardin. We also had some great coffee drinks at Hemmingway’s. House wines at all of the Palladium’s restaurants were very good in my opinion, but I’m not a wine connoisseur.

Crowds
During our first 4 days, the resort was totally slammed with people. It was hard to find a lounger on the beach, get a drink at many of the bars, or get into Gran Azul for lunch. The Royal pool area was often noisy and crowded and the salt water pool had a spring break feel to it. But, the Riviera Pool and adjacent adult pool, and La Laguna were relatively quiet and a la carte restaurants did not get crowded until about 7:30. We were told that many groups from Spain contributed to the unusually high occupancy. At the end of our stay, crowds had substantially diminished.

Memorable staff
The one thing that stands out about the Palladium is that most all staff are great!! This was our first stay at the Royal Suites and we were really impressed with the friendliness and efficiency of all the cart drivers – I can’t remember all their names but I would like to be best friends with any of them. Alma at reception was wonderful. William and Luis at the RS pool bar were calm under pressure and very pleasant. Probably the one person who stands out above all others is Fernanda at the La Jarra bar – she’s the one who brings drinks and eats around to the bally bed area. Just looking at her puts you in a good mood.

Royal Suites vs. other areas
The main reason we are glad we stayed in the RS area is that my wife had some minor mobility issues and relied extensively on the cart service. She would have had a hard time getting around if not for the carts. We paid considerably more for the Royal Suites and totally enjoyed our time there but we did not think most of its benefits were worth the extra cost. El Jardin was good for breakfast but Kabah was every bit as good. Dinner at El Jardin was good (loved the coconut shrimp), but the other a la cartes are also good. The Royal pool was often noisy and crowded in the afternoon, unlike the Adult Pool near the Riviera pool (although it was nice to be able to have the pool right outside our building for nighttime swims). Top shelf drinks were good but you can also get them at Hemmingway’s and most a la cartes. I thought the location of the Royal Suites would be a big disadvantage but it wasn’t. It was less than a 5 minute walk to the Riviera lobby and restaurant, theatre, and Riviera pool. It was a 7 minute walk to Punta Emilia and a 16 minute walk to La Jarra. But the other sections are even more accessible to everything. On our next trip, we will probably go back to the Royal Suites if mobility issues are still a problem. Otherwise, we will probably look into a suite or Mayan suite at Kantenah or Colonial.

We’ve been to several resorts in the area (Riu Palace Mexico, Iberostar Pariso del Mar and Lindo, Barcelo several times, Catalonia Royal Tulum, and Grand Bahia Principe) and worst one was wonderful. But after this trip, all we can think about is returning to the Palladium.

Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just back from an AMAZING week at the RSY, there April 27-May 4! Our group consisted of three couples ages 25-35. We like to party and have a good time, but not crazy out of hand (like a few of the other guests there at the same time). I am a HUGE researcher, and we selected this resort based upon the reviews on TA and the palladium addict site, both very helpful! I read every single review posted for about three months prior to the trip, so I already felt like a knew a few of the staff like Pedro and Luis upon arrival - super cool!

For a backgrounder my husband and I have stayed at the Cozumel Palace and Aventura Spa Palace, both nice placed but we would choose RSY hands-down over either one of these places!

Rooms - Beautiful! Nice decor, recently remodeled. Super cool to have a hot tub on the balcony, make sure to have your butler fill it one night! The fridge is stocked with four kinds of hard liquor, soda, water and peanuts, you can request specifics but what they provided was enough for us. We did order the free champagne to the room two times, pretty good quality. Our air conditioner worked great in our room, but one couple's did not, and it wasn't fixed until the last night, even after several calls to the front desk. My hair dryer barely worked, but I never asked for a new one and just made due. Had super cute towel art all days but one. We tipped a few dollars every day, the one day I forgot a tip, no towel art.

Food - overall the food was wonderful! Everyone in our party enjoyed the food, TONS of choices. Here is a breakdown of the places we ate at:
El Jardin - ate dinner here twice. The first time the service was extremely slow! We left before our chocolate fondue arrived because we were itching to enjoy the evening entertainment. The food was wonderful both times. The lobster is not as big here as it is in other ala cartes on the resort. The coolest feature with this restaurant is the ability to order off the menu and eat the buffet. This is the same at breakfast too, and where we ate most breakfasts. I highly recommend the shrimp crepes, coconut shrimp, the steak (any cut), the chocolate fondue (we got it on our return trip!) and definitely try the Eggs Benedict at breakfast - SO YUMMY! I loved every bite of food I ate at this restaurant, great benefit of Royal! The atmosphere outside here is really pretty too!

Portifino - Yummy salad bar and cream of asparagus soup to start off meal. Oh, and the butter all over this resort is SUPER flavorful! I don't know what they do to it, but it was amazing!!! I ordered the salmon risotto - yummo! Lobster was good here too. Dessert - the baked Alaskan was better than it looked but the chocolate mouse and tiramisu were excellent!

Ribs and More - Really good food, but had TERRIBLE service here. Our food took forever! One of the best lobsters all week was here. The ribs were just okay per my husband, but we are close to Kansas City where they are famous for their BBQ. The salad bar was great here too, I liked the chipotle potato salad.

Japanese Show Table - neat experience, sushi was super yummy (wished we could have had more, it was the best part of the meal). I did the mixed plate and it was all really good, but not a ton of flavor. The fried ice cream and banana dessert were both yummy!

Riviera Buffet - at this one breakfast and one lunch - TONS of choices! All food was good, but prefer the ala carte dinning.

Colonial Buffet - at breakfast here once, tons of kids, very crowded and not as many choices as the Riviera buffet.

El Dorado - YUM!! Best lobster of the week, steak was amazing here too. The cheesecake was perfect, but the brownie was a little dry. This was my favorite salad bar as there were tons of veggie choices.

Punta Emelia - BEST RESTURANT on the resort - don't miss this one!! We had a seafood platter and ate like kings!! This was a suggestion by our best waiter of the week, Angel. It had lobster, shrimp, scallops and like 5 kinds of fish!!! The crème brulee here had wonderful flavor. The chocolate cake was very moist and flavorful as well.

Snack bars - we did the 24 hour snack bar late one night as well as for a quick lite bite and it was okay, nothing great. The ribs were okay, guac okay.

The only negative thing I will say about the food is the chips are hard - not very good at all, our whole group agreed. But they were edible and the guac was good at most buffets.

Front Desk/Reception - as many have said, they are definitely not overly friendly. Didn't affect our stay any, just could be a little kinder in their tone, expression, etc.

Butler Service - Our first experience with the butler wasn't great, but then everything else made up for it. Our first reservation was never put in the system at Ribs and More so we ended up waiting an hour. Make sure you get a ticket to confirm your reservation, since it was our first we did not know that was needed. After that though we had a WONDERFUL experience, all other reservations were made just as requested, received a decorated room and AMAZING cake for a birthday celebration, and a filled hot tub and champagne for a romantic evening.

Royal Cart Service - Best asset of staying in the royal section! The resort is HUGE! I knew this going in, but man is it HUGE! We loved having all the foliage and jungle atmosphere but very glad to be able to call a cart whenever we needed. The drivers were the friendliest staff we encountered!!!! Pedro, the Hulk (pretty sure his name is Israel) and my favorite was a gentleman with a silver tooth - I wish I knew his name - either Daniel or Augustus, our party can't agree on what his name was. But he even made change for us a couple times and was very friendly and made jokes.

Bartenders - this is where the service depended on where you were on the resort. In the royal section at the pool we had wonderful service by Noel and Luiz, all the staff here were great! At El Jardin where the moved the lobby bar too we had amazing service by Daniel Michele, Filiberto, Luiz and Maria!!!! Fun times were had here!! In the other sections of the resort it was just hit or miss, never bad service just not as personal as in the royal.

Spa - don't miss out on this! Loved the powerful jets in the stone hot tub, the river into the large infinity pool as well as the sauna and steam room. Relaxing day! Glad to know that royal won't be charged for these services when the fee is implemented in the fall.

Rifle Shooting - our group took part in this activity and it was fun. Also did zumba, ping pong tournament, stretching, pool volleyball and basketball, kayaking and sand volleyball, all lots of fun.

Beach - GREAT variety! The snorkeling is great if you know where to look. Our first day out was too windy and we didn't make it to the right spot. Our next day was calm and the best place is quite a ways out in between the gazebo and punta emelia. We saw a variety of fish and some pretty cool coral fans and cool plants - one of the best snorkeling experiences I have had (been to cozumel, xel-ha, maui). The beach did have lots of rocky spots, but many sandy spots as well. In front of Kantenah it is normally very sandy, but I guess right before our arrival some rocks were washed upon shore. The best sandy beach is just north of the resort and my husband and I had the whole section to ourselves! Don't miss out on this!!

Grounds - as others have said, beautiful huge resort that is very clean. Saw lots of animals and enjoyed all of the covered walkways, very pretty at night! One of the reasons we will be coming back!!

Entertainment - the best was the live bands in the lobbies - I had a blast dancing to everything from classic rock to salsa - lots of fun! The disco was great and was pretty happening most nights. The music was a little loud, but great for dancing! The evening shows were hit or miss. It seemed like there was lots of miscommunication on which show was actually playing where. The rock show, pirate show and white party were our favorite! The Mexican night there is a bull machine that was fun to ride but the show was pretty boring.

As a side note, the collectivo is easy to access via the resort. Did this to playa for shopping, coba (highly recommend saving $$$ and doing this on your own) and xel-ha, fun but expensive.

We had a wonderful time and will definitely be back! Almost all of the guests we encountered had been coming to the resort for years - that says a lot. It was a great value, and I highly recommend this resort!!!

Room Tip: Third floor had the best view. All were good though.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our 8th trip to the Palladium. 4 times in the Colonial, 2 in White Sands and this was our 2nd time at the Royal. I can't say enough good things about this resort. The rooms are beautiful (newly renovated), the house keeper cleaned our room early and always left us beautiful towel art. The food is great! Have the lobster Capallini at El Jardin, they make it table side. Very yummy! We also had the chefs dinner which was very, very good. The resort is huge, so be prepared to walk, or if you are staying in the Royal section you could always call for a ride. After all the good food though, walking isn't a bad thing. We attended the Palladium Addict get together, what a fun time had by all. Thanks to Lucy our waitress for looking after us! All of the staff treated us with nothing but kindness, they work so hard. Big Thank you's to Luis Jose, William, Noe, Damien, Manuel and Luis from the Royal section, Melissa at the Riviera Lobby and a huge thank you to Carlos from the White Sands Swim Up Bar, he is just about the kindest, sweetest person ever. These people are the reason why we come back year after year, they treat you like family. If you have any questions about anything, please let me know. Oh, they are eco-friendly, don't forget to bring your bubba!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!