“Holiday Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

Save Saved
You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
WorcesterJohn
“Holiday Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I posted a review back in early August & for some reason I cannot find It, so I thought I would post another because I just love this hotel.

The whole concept is based on total service, & I can honestly say that this was what we received from the moment we arrived.

The reception is so customer focused, & the team are interested in the client & their holiday.

The bar staff, restaurant & pool teams added that little extra,

The rooms where just fabulous & the hot tubs were a bonus.

I cannot praise this hotel enough & would recommend it to as a special holiday or getaway to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear WorcesterJohn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback and wonderful comments. It truly gives us a sense of pride and accomplishment knowing you enjoyed your stay. It would be our pleasure to have you back in the future.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Yucatan suites last spring, and we just booked to return again this coming February!! It was the best resort experience we've ever had (and we've been to many, including the Barcelo Palace). For us the attention to detail, the friendly service and the wonderful atmosphere made it an easy choice to return. All the staff were amazing. My personal favorite buddy was Julio at the poolbar. You always felt he really cared about all of his visitors. Not sure if he is still there, but if he is still working on the resort I'll be sure to find him and say hi...nicest bartender I ever met.
Last time we stayed in a Mayan suite, this time we are trying the Jr suites and my wife loved the idea of the jacuzzi on the balcony!
Can't wait!!

Room Tip: If you like peace and tranqiuility you cannot go wrong with a mayan suite!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Roddio,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. It’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Montreal,Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Flight: Early morning flight with Sunwing. Not the best experience. First they weigh your carry on luggage, this has never happened to us before with any other airline. My husband actually had to check his carry-on luggage and I had to almost empty mine. The flight itself was uneventful, the seats are small with not a lot of leg room (even with Elite Plus). Also the breakfast was close to discusting. But you get what you pay for.

Arrival in Cancun: We took AGI private transfer from the airport to the hotel. It was wonderful, it took us approximately 1 hour and that was with a stop at the 7 Elven for some much needed Cervesa's.

Check In: Thanks to the wonderful service from Betty and Aurora everything went very smooth and we got everything we requested, king bed and 3rd floor. We were in building 70, room 7026. It was perfect! Thank you once again Aurora! Since we were celebrating our 25th anniversary we had a bottle of champagne in our room, fruit basket and beautiful flower decorations.

The Room: What can I say, beautiful!! Huge room, huge hot tub on the balcony. We have stayed at several different 5 star resorts in Riviera Maya but this was the most beautiful room.

Bellboys: Thank you Pedro, Augustine and Frank for the wonderful, attentive service. Always there with a smile and willing to take you whereever you need to go. The service they provide is excellent. Some evenings the wait could be a little long when you want to go back to your room from another lobby but the resort is very large so some patience is required.

Restaurants: Our favorites - 1st would have to be Mare Nostrum, the service was outstanding (and I am sorry I can't remember the name of our waiter) he was so very attentive to our every need. My husband had the Royal Lobster and was in absolute heaven. My meal on the other hand was not very good, I had the Pesto Ravioli and the ravioli was very over cooked and hard to eat. I couldn't eat it but my hubby was very sweet and shared his lobster. The overall experience at Mare Nostrum made me forget about my not so good ravioli. 2nd favorite would be Portifino, the food and service were both very good. We also ate at Punta Emilia, the coconut shrimp was amazing (you can only order if you are Royal Suites), the lobster was very tough (over cooked). I ordered the veal steak. It was good but I was so full from the coconut shrimp that I couldn't finish it. We also ate at Japanese, it was good (small portions) but the show was fun and at El Jardin, Javier runs a very nice restaurant, we had no trouble with the food or service.

The Hotel: Is very large but as stated in other reviews there is no problem getting around, lots of carts and being Royal they will come pick you up whenever and wherever. The grounds and pools are well kept, the staff works very hard all day. The Royal beach area is very out of the way but still worth the trip. It is very quiet and you have a bar right there (with service).

Royal Lobby Bar: Thank you Philiberto and Jose Luis! The best Mimosa's and Mojito's! These two were absolutely amazing! And at the Riviera lobby, thank you Melisa for being so attentive and patient with our large group. Tequila!!!

Check out was smooth, AGI picked us up right on time. But Sunwing experience was a little off again. We had to take a bus to our plane at the airport from the runway (never happened before) and it wasn't even a Sunwing plane. When we landed in Montreal we also had to take a bus from the plane to the airport terminal (again never happened with any other airline) . At least the supper meal was better than the breakfast!

Overall this was an amazing vacation! So good we already booked to go back in April for the Palladium Addict Party. It was great seeing old friends Stacey and Dan and meeting new ones Heather and Neil, Brenda and Gerry and others!
Hope this review helps!

Room Tip: Any place in the Royal section is good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JP&Helen,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us. We value each guest and are honored when we are able to share these comments with our staff and other guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just got back last night from staying at the Royal Suites. We had previously stayed at the Riviera but I wanted to try the Mayan Suites. I cannot say enough great things about this room. It was supplied with a variety of liquors and cold beer, as well as soft drinks and water. The outdoor shower was lovely and I was amazed how quickly I got used to showering outside. Luckily the weather was perfect the entire time. Relaxing outside the room was great and the number of fish in the lagoon was amazing. Watching the herons come in an get breakfast was breathtaking.

One of the advantages to the Royal Suites is the pool. I was disappointed at the number of people who left towels and books on chairs and did not come to the pool for hours. There were always plenty of spots available so I didn't see why some thought this was necessary. The service at the pool was great and Luis is phenomenal. The extra snacks available at this bar were nice including pub mix, peanuts and ice cream.

The food was great. We at at the steak house, the Japanese, Brazilian, Italian and the Ribs n More. The food was exceptional and the show at the Japanese was quite good. I had the lobster at the steak house (as Royal guests you could get it every night) and I was amazed at the size of the lobster.

The resort is huge and there are carts available to take you around. However, my husband and I walked (partly to work off all the food we were eating) and because we found sometimes the carts were around when we wanted to leave. Once you got your bearings of the different resorts walking between didn't take as long.

The only complaint that I had was at checkin. We got to the resort around 3 and our room wasn't ready. As Palladium members, the resort was aware of our arrival (they sent the car to pick us up from the airport) so we weren't really keen on waiting an hour after we got there. Then when the room was ready there were no bellhops to take our bags. After about a 10 minute wait we took them to the room ourselves.

Overall though, we will be back and probably back in the Royal Suites. The little extras make the visit just that much nicer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ladykf1,

We strive to ensure that all guests are pleased with their accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the issues you had experienced at check in. I would like to assure you that I will personally look into this with my team to make improvments for the future. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Best regards,

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed two weeks in the Royal Suites Yucatan to celebrate our 10th anniversary. In general, we love the resort and intend to make it a regular destination, but it does have a few things that could be improved.

Staying in the Royal Suites was a huge bonus for us because it gave us a quiet retreat from the many, and often noisy children around the pools and on the beach. It was better the second week which was after the Thanksgiving holiday. The advantage of being able to make restaurant reservations and the shuttle service were also great benefits. The cart drivers are to be commended for their fast and friendly service. The furnishings in the redecorated room were beautiful. The suite worked out very well as it allowed my wife to get ready for her morning run in the other room and not disturb my sleep. The beds are surprisingly comfortable for a “hotel” although some people might think they’re too soft if they’re used to a very firm bed.

The Good:

The entire staff at the Royal Suites couldn’t have been friendlier or any more helpful; including the bartenders, butlers and desk staff. Unfortunately we were disappointed upon our arrival when there wasn’t anyone to help us with our luggage, or offer us a moist towel or drink, which had been the norm previously. After checking in however, someone did show up to take our luggage to our room.

We loved the room accommodations, amenities and the housekeeping (we stayed in a suite). We had requested a third floor suite in hopes of getting an ocean view but in hindsight, we were happier with our room on the second floor. If you can see the ocean through the trees on the third floor, it would be a distant view. We more appreciated the full cover over the large balcony during the rain because the third floor balconies are only half covered and would be unusable during the rain. Our room (7018) was very private and still had a lovely view.

The resort is big, beautiful and the grounds are very well maintained

Food in the exclusive El Jardin restaurant was very good (more on service later)

Food and service were excellent in the ala carte restaurants. Our favorites were the Japanese (Sumptuori), Punta Emilia (Seafood) and Mare Nostrum (Mediterranean). Our least favorites were Bamboo (Asian) and Rodizio (Brazilian). However, we never had a bad meal at any of them.

Needs Improvement:

Service in El Jardin was marginal. Unfortunately the service was worst during our first dinner on the first night at the resort, which cast a pall over the rest of our stay.

Buffets were only okay. A lot of food like fish and steak are cooked to order, which might be considered a good thing but it results in a long wait. This might occur only at lunchtime since we had most dinners at ala carte restaurants.

Even with the abundance of lounges on the beach, people still feel compelled to reserve seats with towels early in the morning and often don’t occupy them until the afternoon. Surprisingly, this also occurred at the Royal pool. I realize this is a fault with the guests, not the resort.

Although the food and service at Punta Emelia was excellent for dinner, the abundance of raccoons trying to get food was an annoyance. One particularly aggressive raccoon tried to take a roll off of our table and only gave up when I swatted him!

There supposedly is a new internet service provider but the WIFI is marginal in the rooms and the Ethernet is no longer supported. This was particularly annoying because I expected this problem and brought my own Ethernet cable and pocket router. The Ethernet is still active but no one was able to provide the required settings.

A new addition to the rooms is a wine cooler, which would have been a big plus except the wine isn’t included in the free amenities; and of course, you can’t get a bottle of the house wine to take to your room.

There is a lot of algae in the tile grout of the pools. Having had a pool I know algae can be difficult to keep under control but I wonder how much of an effort is put into eliminating it.

The spa was great and the gym fairly well equipped however several of the exercise machines needed maintenance.

Room Tip: Although most reviewers suggest a third floor room in the Royal Suites, you're too far from the...
Dear Oakprk,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at The Royal Suites Yucatán.
We are glad you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They'll be happy to know they have been recognized for a job well done.
We have taken note of all your comments and they help us to further improve our services.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Suites Yucatàn.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Nice beach with lots of good chairs and beds!
Lots of pools and the salt water pool on the ocean is great.
Great room. We had a mayan room but I suspect they are all pretty nice.
Nice grounds.
Great service/Friendly staff!!!
Lots of dinning options.
Free snorkling/paddle boating/sailing/wind surfing/canoeing.
Lots of nice walkways thru the mangroves to help you walk off some of the calories and you are likely to see various critters too!

This resort complex is 5 palladium resorts but it's basically 1 resort. Each collection of buildings has a different lobby and resort name. Royal Suites guests have the advantage of their own private restaurant, Jardin, which has excellent food and staff. Royal Suites guests can also make reservations at the other 9 or so restaurants around the resort so they don't have to wait, although the waits weren't long without a reservation while we were there. The Adults Only Royal Suites is nice but not necessary since there are lots of pool and beach areas around the resort that are basically kid-free. I'd stay at the Riviera which has some ocean view rooms. I'd also stay at White Sands or Colonial since they are centrally located. It is worth paying a little extra for the Jardin and restaurant reservation options at the Royal Suites.

Some minor issues: We went in mid-Nov. and the water in the many pools was a bit chilly and adjusting to it so I could swim was not fun. I think it would be nice if they heated a pool a little bit, even if it was one of the smaller pools.

The beach is nice and sandy and, as a result, the snorkeling at the beach is poor. They do have boat trips that will take you to better reefs for a fee.

The food at the buffets is average but the selection is good. The food at the restaurants is generally better. The pancakes and french toast in the breakfast buffet were awful. There were no waffles. The "maple syrup" tasted like butterscotch or caramel (I can't remember which, all I remember is that it was gross). But you don't want to eat too many carbs anyway right?

I would recommend the resort to a friend due to the variety of foods and activities, the nice expansive beach and grounds, and the reasonable price.

Dear TanAJH,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Royal Suites Yucatán.
We are at your complete disposal and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and I were at the Royal Suites Yucatan Nov 8 - 15. This was a trip for our fortieth wedding anniversary. We have been to the Grand Palladium there twice before and the Royal Suites Turquesa in the DR also, so we almost knew what to expect. I avoided the DR just because of cultural differences with the European guests there. We have always been very happy with the Palladium vacations and were prepared to enjoy ouselves but this week knocked our socks off entirely.

When we arrived on Thursday, the Royal lobby was closed for some reason and I was alittle disappointed. I had anticipated the coffee drinks there, but no big deal. Everything else about the Royal section was absolutely wonderful and we did okay. The lobby reopened on Sunday, so I got my fix anyway.

The resort is as beautiful as ever, no surprises there. The gardeners and landscapers are phenomenal. The lobbies and restaurants are great, I never had a meal there that I didn't like and every drink I had was served with a smile and happily consumed. Funny thing is, some people complain that the alcohol seems to be a little weak, but A) the proof on their domestic liquor is lower than that in the states and B) that way, I can have several drinks without getting intoxicated. They all tasted great!

El Jardin was amazing. Our first meal there was cooked tableside and I ate every last bite. Probably not my best move, 'cause I went into a food coma for a couple hours. Great memory!

The pools there looked very nice, but really. we have pools in Pittsburgh so we spent a LOT of time at the beach. The Royal beach is everything I had hoped for. tanning beds, palapas and lounges for all that wanted them.

By the way, I'm just a really old teenager, so I got myself in trouble the last day there. I guess I ate something wrong for me and got violently ill. It happened on the beach for which I am very embarrassed. However, the staff there took good care of me, got me carted off to the hotel doctor and he checked me out. Since I am a senior citizen, he was adamant that I go to the local hospital for various tests and I complied. There was a ride in the ambulance and all day with tests and IVs in my arms (Whoo-Hoo!). Pretty much a bummer, but my own fault. Much gratitude to Beatrix, the resort concierge for coordinating my medicak care and helping my wife through the day.

I cannot say enough about how well the staff treated us all week. Fernanda at the Royal beach has to be the best beach waitress I have ever met. Filiberto in the Royal lobby bar makes the best coffee drinks in the world. Agustin and Israel the cart drivers actually remembered our names and our rooms. Carlos at El Jardin waited on us every time he saw us. Altogether one of the very best weeks of our lives.

By the way, we had a cabana, which was very private (7213). One day, we left the room in the morning and accidentally left the room safe wide open. A good amount of cash and jewelry exposed to anyone. Our maid was Elida and the contents of the safe were untouched. I am a policeman in Pittsburgh and had that happened here, I would not be so fortunate.

In conclusion I have to say that for the foreseeable future, the Royal Suites Yucatan is our vacation destination. IT WAS PERFECT!!!! I can't see going anywhere else and rolling the dice since we have found nirvana. I most highly recommend this resort to anyone.

Dear Bill K,
A very big thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Royal Suites Yucatán on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!