My husband and I have returned from a too short one week stay at the Royal Palladium. This is our eighth visit to the Palladium but our first to the Royal section. I was concerned about booking the Royal because of its location off the beach but ended up loving this section of the resort.
We used AGI to arrive at the resort as we usually do. Arrival time was around 4pm and our room was ready. I was disappointed at first because 1) the Royal Lobby was under construction and we could not access it, and 2) my room request appeared to have been ignored. We requested a third floor room, double beds, no smoking. We received a king bed in a smoking room. However, this was immediately rectified by the lovely ladies at the front desk and we received a beautiful room, third floor, double beds, no smoking with a private view. I was very happy, It did take me a couple of days to get used to the open bathroom concept but I knew this before hand. Our room (as all the Royal rooms) had just been renovated and was fresh and clean with no odours. The beds were very comfortable. Fridge was stocked with drinks and snacks, there were bottles of liquor and a wine bar which we did not use.
I need not have worried about getting around the resort, as my feet can only take so much walking and this is a very large resort. We rarely had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a Royal golf cart to take us around the resort and the drivers were the best, so much fun. We loved the Royal pool and the bartenders were very friendly. I like the ice cream bar and sandwiches that were available at the pool bar.
We ate breakfast most days at the Royal's private restaurant, El Jardin and just one dinner there. My dinner at El Jardin was the most disappointing of the week, the steak I ordered was not edible for me, even after I sent it back to be cooked a little more, it was still bright red and I like medium rare steak! Oh well, I never went hungry. We also ate at Portofino's, Sumptouri, Ribs 'n More, Bamboo, El Dorado and once at the White Sand buffet. I enjoyed El Dorado the most while hubby enjoyed Bamboo the most. I enjoyed the ambiance of all the restaurants, they are very pretty. We have been to all these restaurants in the past and really enjoyed being able to reserve the restaurants on a same day basis through Royal status.
We never swam at the beach which is a first for us, we just used the Royal pool and the spa pool. The pools were very cold but once I plunged in I got used to the water. We also used the Royal section of the beach one day for an hour or two and the lady server there is amazing, so friendly.
Lots of interaction with the wildlife - coaties, raccoons, cats, which I fed every day, and iguanas. This is one of the reasons I like this resort so much, the animals. Speaking of which, this resort is so beautiful with its pathways meandering through the jungle. I love walking and exploring these paths. Over by the Colonial side there is a stunning church where we saw a wedding being held and two ponds of flamingos. Oh, and I must not forget the crocs or are they gators?
We left the resort four times to visit off site activities. The Jungle Place, south of the resort by cab was amazing and highly recommended. We interacted with spider monkeys which we fed and petted and they petted us! As well, we visited by collectivo Playa del Carmen and had beer on the beach, Puerto Adventurous and the beautiful Eden cenote to snorkle. Loved the cenote, next time we go we will try out the Azul cenote which is beside Eden.
My husband's birthday was the reason we were down at the resort and Royal treated him royally! As a surprise they decorated our room with balloons, streamers, a card, a birthday cake, candles, champagne and a cheese tray. Just amazing! Do they do this for all guests? Wow!
Our last full day we were lucky that the Royal lobby finally opened and we were able to enjoy its amenities and grab a boat ride from the lobby's dock.
This was certainly one of our better trips, if not the best. I cannot wait to return to the Palladium and the Royal section in the near future. Every person working at the Palladium was professional, kind and helpful and really made our trip extra special. Thank you Royal Palladium!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Suites Yucatan consists of 130 luxurious rooms located in an exclusive area within the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa in the Mayan Riviera. Guest may enjoy first class facilities that include a private lobby with a bar, exclusive swimming pool with Jacuzzi, unlimited dinner reservations at the theme restaurants, private bar with premium beverages, room service, free Internet connection, bar service to the pool sun beds and an exclusive restaurant. For adults only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Suites Yucatan By Palladium Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Royal Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- The Royal Suites Yucatan By Palladium Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico