“I've got a feeling!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“I've got a feeling!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I have been back to the Royal Suites Yucatan 6 times. We no sooner get home and we start planning to go back. We joined their travel club in October 2011 and have greatly enjoyed the benefits that this program offers.

What makes the Royal Suites so memorable to us... The staff make this place the best place for us. They are fun and easy going. They care about all of the details of your stay and about your happiness. We have been to other resorts including the Rui Palace in Jamaica and find that the Grand Palladium's attention to hospitality is exceptional.

We have just gotten back from our 7 day trip there - 10/13-10/20. The weather was fantastic! Beautiful blue skies every single day! The drinks flowed. Jose Luis in the Royal Lobby bar makes the most awesome Bloody Marys.

We also enjoy feeding the cats in the morning. There were 3 orange cats and one black striped cat that we fed breakfast and dinner to outside of El Jardin. We got a bag of Wiskas to feed the cats - we gave this bag to a honeymoon couple from Germany who assured us they would carryon feeding the cats.

There is wildlife in the resort. We enjoy this aspect very much. One of our ultimate favorite experiences and one that might not be good for everyone, is having dinner at Punta Emilia. Punta Emilia is their seafood restaurant on the beach. It doesn't happen everytime but when it does it makes our trip - this time there were at least 10 raccoons that joined us for dinner - mostly baby raccoons! So cute! It is possible to get them to leave you alone by using your napkin to shue them away. They will climb on the table so some shuing is necessary, but they will stand and smile for photo ops as desired.

As far as our room - we had the govenor's suite this time. We really enjoyed the vista views from the 3rd floor.

The band - Con Classy - is excellent! They keep everyone well entertained into the night. We were disappointed that we did not see Carolina this time. She is a solo artist, who singing style is similar to Macey Grey and/or Tracy Chapman. Very good relaxing melodies. We have told her to get on the Voice and when she does, to pick Celo as her mentor. :)

The environment of the resort is beautiful. There is just too much that I could write... I can't wait to once again hear "Welcome back family - you are home."

Room Tip: 1st and 2nd floors have curtains that you can draw for privacy. 3rd floor rooms have excellent vista...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Oyie-Oyia,
Thank you so much for having taken time to share your comment on TripAdvisor about your recent stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Fremont, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

SUMMARY

My wife and I recently stayed at the Royal Suites Yucatan for ten days – 10/5/12 to 10/15/12.

We have been to several AIs now in the last few years and RSY is as good or better than all of them. The Iberostar chain has been our favorite so far and, as a result, we were comparing everything about this resort to IB. Our final verdict was that we would happily return to RSY or IB and our choice would be solely based on price, as they are both outstanding resorts. However, there are a few things to know before you go which may influence your decision based upon your expectations from an AI. I will cover all of that in the detail below…

If you are interested in this resort or resort complex, please go to their website because they have a fantastic “virtual tour” experience that pretty much shows you exactly what you will see when you get there. I think putting web addresses in reviews is against the rules, but if you Google “Fiesta Hotel Group” you will find the Palladium chain and can navigate to RSY. GREAT virtual tour and when we got there it was nice to have those images in my mind as they were true to what we actually saw there…. When we got to our room it was like reliving the virtual tour of the Royal Junior Suite. Everything else we saw was the same – I give HIGH marks to Palladium for their website presentation…

BOOKING

There are so many choices in travel booking agencies - it takes a LOT of time doing the research. I have found that if you just go with a local travel agent – they will be happy – but when you find out how much extra you are paying them - you WON’T (personal experience). Anyway, I would definitely suggest doing a LOT of research before making your decision.

I would like to share what I have found to be the best so far – and – I found this person/agency via another TripAdvisor traveler (Thanks Howard!). Tami at TripSurfer dot com is the best I have found and I have NO affiliation with her or her agency – none… Howard recommended her and she found me a price that was so far below the other online prices advertised for RSY I was skeptical. But I double checked to be sure and Tami confirmed that YES – the resort/price was correct.

Anyway – long story short – I have as much loyalty for travel agents as I do for the resorts I visit – BUT – I DO remember the best of both and will always check with Tami on future trips to see if she can beat whatever prices are out there at the time. I suggest you do the same…..

CUSTOMS/IMMIGRATION

If you have been to Cancun – skip this section and move on…

Based on all of our experiences flying out of country, the customs/immigration procedure will vary, but mostly it is dependent on how many other planes are landing at or near the same time you do. It can be a short or long customs line. We have found that Saturday is a BAD day to fly into any country for obvious reasons I guess, so if you can change your plans to start your vacation on a Thursday or Friday, that will help A LOT. Also, as stated by many here, please IGNORE anyone and everything inside the airport – they are all trying to sell you something. After several trips to Cancun now, I don’t even make eye contact with anyone until we are outside the airport, which is where all of the reputable transfer services will be stationed.

TRANSFERS

RSY is a good hour from the Cancun airport, so I would definitely get a private transfer if you don’t rent a car. We have used USA Transfers (Entertainment Plus) and AGI Transfers in the past, and they were both outstanding. Both were on time on both ends of the vacation and both accepted cash upon arrival for payment. I would give an edge to AGI because as soon as we exited the airport there was a guy with our name on a sign and calling our name out loud. With USA we had to go find them and it took us a little while, but they both did the job well. There are multiple reputable transfer companies to choose from, so I would do some research, but I would definitely recommend a PRIVATE transfer…

RESORT BACKGROUND

RSY is an adults only AI and is one of 5 AIs in this particular Grand Palladium complex. The complex is made up of (from left to right as you enter the complex): Kantenah/Colonial, White Sand/Riviera, and then The Royal Suites Yucatan. RSY is located at the far end of the complex and is essentially on an island, which makes it very quiet and private. When you stay at RSY you have access to all pools/bars/restaurants/etc at all of the other resorts, but they cannot use any of the RSY facilities. It is a LARGE complex and walking is involved, but as an RSY guest you can use the Royal Taxi service (golf carts) to get you from place to place so the size isn’t necessarily an issue.

My wife and I didn’t pick this resort because it is “adults only”, but if we did I would probably have been disappointed. RSY does have it’s own pool, but it is VERY small. Also, there is only ONE restaurant that is for RSY guests only (El Jardin) – all of the other restaurants are family oriented (children welcome) and are located in the other resorts. The RSY restaurant isn’t open for lunch, so if you want a child free lunch experience, your only options are room service or pre-made sandwiches at the RSY pool (did it – don’t recommend it).

We stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya last year (adults only), and if I was looking for an adults only experience again I would look for something more along those lines (big resort where EVERTHING is adults only).

GROUNDS

The entire resort complex is built in and around a giant mangrove, so there are wetlands wherever you go. Any place you walk there are bridges or pathways over water. In the entire ten day stay I didn’t see a single biting insect anywhere which was amazing because it looks to be the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. That made for many enjoyable walks for my wife and I. We walked the entire grounds at least once a day and there are lots of beautiful vegetation and wildlife wherever you go. Also, there is great signage all over the complex. Everywhere you go you will find a giant map of the complex and a “you are here” star, so you really can’t get lost.

The only semi-downside is that there are “moats” for lack of a better word around the RSY and Riviera/White Sand complex. There is boat service from place to place using the moats, so as a result there are bridges over said moats. If you are walking the complex a lot as we did, you traverse many of these bridges and they get to be a bit of a pain after a while. But, I would say, that my wife and I walk WAY more than most people so you may walk one or two bridges a day, whereas, we were crossing them a LOT during a normal day for us. They have 24 steps up and 24 steps down and they get HOT in the sun (I’m a barefoot walker and normally so is the wife until she encountered the bridges at high noon!)…

Also – regarding the boat service – it is geared towards the “Travel Club Members” (more on that below) – so the rest of US are limited in the times we can use it (THANKS Palladium!)…

RSY PERKS

As a guest of the RSY there are several perks available to you that the guests at the other four resorts do not have. Here is the list:

1) Free Wi-Fi in the rooms. We used this every day and the connection was reasonably fast. The other resorts have free Wi-Fi in the lobby areas, but have to pay for it in the rooms.
2) Dinner reservations. As an RSY guest you can make a reservation at any of the restaurants in the complex. Guests at the other resorts just show up and go on a waiting list if there aren’t any tables available. Palladium has a smart phone app, which was very useful during our stay. When you check in they give you a login ID and password and then you can make your dinner reservations right on your phone. The app also has the schedule of the day’s events if you want to participate in any.
3) Free lobster in every restaurant versus $35 USD for the other resorts. I ate lobster every night but one and it was well prepared and had great texture and flavor. For me this was the BEST perk – but – at Iberostar this was included for everyone – although only 2 restaurants had lobster on the menu there….
4) Royal Taxi. If you don’t like walking (especially going to dinner with long pants on), this is a really nice perk. You can call from wherever you are in the complex and they will come and get you. My wife and I prefer walking and did a ton of that, but for dinners or late night returns back to RSY the taxi service is fantastic.
5) Top shelf liquor at the RSY lobby and pool area. At home I’m normally a beer drinker, but on vacation I drink mostly mixers. I got spoiled really fast by getting my drinks at RSY. Whenever I got a drink elsewhere in the resort, the difference was noticeable in a big way. We spent most of our time at the pool in the Riviera/White Sand resort (5 minute walk from RSY) and we would often just walk all the way back to the bar in the RSY pool because the drinks were that much better.
6) Liquor available in the rooms. It wasn’t top shelf stuff and if you wanted a different brand than what they stocked it was an up charge, but it was there if you were interested. Better off just going to the lobby or pool bar IMO…
7) Concierge in every building. They call it “butler service”, but all it amounted to was a concierge in each building to help you out with whatever you may need. I would say 95% of the time we walked in or out of our building there was nobody at the “butler” desk, so this is a quasi-perk. If I ever needed anything, I just called guest services from the room and they took care of it for me…
8) Free room service. This is another quasi-perk in my mind because all of the other AIs we stayed at in the Riviera Maya had it included as part of the standard package. Apparently, using room service from the other resorts in the complex is a charge though. We used it twice for a late afternoon snack before dinner and it took about 30 minutes each time. The food was about what you would expect from room service.
9) Towels. As an RSY guest you can get as many towels as you want in any part of the complex without use of a towel card. At the other resorts in this complex you had to use a towel card to get ONE towel, and loss of your card or towel resulted in a charge. That is pretty standard for the other AIs we have been to, so the no towel card thing was nice.
10) Private beach area. There is an area that is reserved for RSY guests just off the beach in a shaded area, but it is as far away from the RSY rooms as you can get in this complex. My wife and I walked down to that end of the beach every day and I would guesstimate its about a 15 minute walk from the RSY rooms. As a result, I don’t think I saw more than one or two people using it the entire ten day stay. If you like shade, quiet and bali beds though, it is very nice. I don’t know if there was drink service in it or not, but there is a bar 20 feet away.

ROOM

We stayed in the basic room (Royal Junior Suite) and it was very nice. We never upgrade rooms when we travel because we are hardly ever in it. This was the biggest room we have been in yet, and the balcony was gigantic and had a huge hot tub. But on the flip side – we tried to fill it up once and by the time it filled to usability it was COLD… The room layout was great for us, but its an open concept so if you need privacy for some reason, there isn’t any. There was a separate walk-in shower and the commode was in a separate tiny room with a frosted glass door.

There was very limited dresser space, but that has been the case at all of the other AIs we have been to so no big deal. The room safe was pretty standard and was plenty big enough to hold all of our valuables. There is a pillow menu, which we didn’t use, but is included in the RSY package. We had a king sized bed and although it was a tad on the firm side, it was quite comfortable and we slept very well. We received turn down service four or five of the ten nights we were there. Its no big deal to me one way or other, but my wife enjoyed the chocolates they left for us.

MAID SERVICE

You can request the time of day that you want your room cleaned if you want. We did not, and the room was cleaned by 1PM every day except our last day when we just told them to give us clean towels, as we didn’t need the room straightened up. Every other day or so, they would leave towel art, which was a nice touch. Overall they did as good a job as any of the AIs we have visited.

STAFF

I know that the staff is trained to do this – but – you can’t walk by any staff member without getting an “hola”. Some “holas” are more sincere than others, but it’s still nice. Almost every staff member that we came in contact with seemed genuinely happy to meet us and pleased that we were visiting their resort. A few that stood out for me were: Luis at the RSY pool bar (best cocktails on the resort), Jose Luis at the RSY lobby bar (very friendly and a credit to Palladium), and Santos at the Adult Pool in the White Sand resort (always happy to see us every day and great cocktails).

After re-reading that I realized that every employee that stood out for me was a bartender. Hmmmmm….. No problem there! ☺

FOOD

My take on AI food has always been – its AI food – so don’t expect much, and that was true for this resort as well. Lobster aside, all of the other food here (breakfast and lunch buffet) was pretty standard AI fare. My wife and I ate breakfast at the Kabah buffet in the Riviera resort most days because there was a much larger selection than El Jardin (RSY restaurant). The breakfast buffet in El Jardin was very nice though, and you could order ala carte there if you wanted to. For lunch you could dine in your bathing suit if you wanted at Punta Emilia or the Beach Bar (both right on the beach), but we found the selection very limited and food/service not too good at either one, so we ended up going to Kabah for most of the lunch buffets as well.

The dinners at the restaurants were as good as any we have experienced at other AIs and my wife enjoyed the food at every restaurant that we tried (Lobster Man also pleased!). I won’t bore you with the details of each, but there are 4 restaurants in the Kantenah/Colonial resort, 4 in the White Sand/Riviera resort, and El Jardin in the RSY resort. So there are lots of dinner options and you can make reservations for them all. I don’t believe El Jardin takes reservations, but the 2 times we ate there for dinner we walked right in with no wait at all.

DRINKS

As I mentioned before, the drinks are definitely superior in the RSY resort. I was drinking Heineken at the RSY bars in the evening but you won’t find that anywhere else in the complex besides RSY. When we ventured out of RSY we found the drinks to be hit and miss based on bartender we encountered. That is the same way it has always been when we do the AI thing, so it was expected and is certainly no big deal to us. If something was completely undrinkable, we just tossed it and got a different one from the next bar we came across.

POOLS

We are pretty much pool people and when not walking during the day we lounge around a pool or float in one (my wife is a big floatie person). With that said, the RSY pool just wasn’t for us. Great bartender / drinks / quiet atmosphere aside (all great things), it just wasn’t big enough for us to do our thing. However, if you don’t mind the small pool I could definitely see hanging out there for an entire vacation.

We spent most of our time in the pool area of the Riviera/White Sand resort next door. It was a 5 minute walk and had 2 great pools. We put our stuff down in the adult pool area and whenever the wife wanted to float, we would just cross the bridge over to the main pool. The adult pool was nice because like the RSY pool it was quieter and had it’s own private bar and great bartender (Santos). The main pool was as nice or nicer than any pool we have been to at any other AIs. Great layout and very clean…

There is another adult pool in the Kantenah/Colonial section, which we visited multiple times and it was also fantastic. Very isolated and quiet and also with it’s own private bar. There is another small pool (El Rinconcito) in the Kantenah area, which wasn’t adults only, but since it was small and out of the way-ish, it was also very quiet.

The main pool in Kantenah/Colonial was a little bizarre because it was 5 feet 3 inches deep. I’m 5’9 and when I stood flat footed in that pool the water came up to just under my nose. I’m not sure what they were thinking when they designed that one, but if we ever went back and stayed at Kantenah or Colonial we would make the walk over to the White Sand pool. The White Sand/Riviera pool was 4’ deep as a comparison…

Lastly, there is the saltwater pool Las Rocas (The Rocks). It is very near the RSY resort in the Riviera complex. It is essentially a concrete pool sized structure that is open to the sea on 2 ends. So there are fish swimming in it and the bottom is a mix of sand/rock/coral. We tried it once, but our feeling was that if you wanted that experience why not just go to the beach? Also, it is called Las Rocas for a reason – you CANNOT enter the Caribbean Sea anywhere near this location due to the dangerous rocks/coral that line the shore there…

BEACH

My wife and I walked down to the beach every day and spent time in the water as well, and if we were beach people, we would have been MAJORLY disappointed. This was by far the WORST beach we have encountered in our AI travels. The beachfront for the entire resort is about three quarters of a mile (as measured in Google Earth). Unfortunately, only maybe 25 percent of it is usable as far as going into the water is concerned. I would say from our room to the first point you could actually enter the sea was about a 12 minute walk or so.

Most of the beachfront has big rocks/coral at the entry point so you can’t walk into the water. A lot of the parts that did offer access to reef-free water still had small rocks to walk over to enter the water. If you decide this is the resort for you and you like the beach then definitely bring water shoes.

Now, on the bright side, since most of the beachfront is reef, it is a snorkeler’s paradise. My wife did it one day and saw a lot of colorful fish so a snorkeling “excursion” isn’t necessary here. Also, since the beachfront is so massive you can easily find a spot to sit in the sun or shade based on your need at the time. TONS of loungers here…

ENTERTAINMENT

The nighttime shows were not great – but like the food, AI entertainment is what it is…. They lip-synch here which is OK I guess, but at Iberostar the entertainment was better and the performers were singing their own songs. Not a big deal though. Just remember - if you have never done the AI thing - you aren’t paying top dollar for the food or the entertainment crew so you get what you get…

The daytime entertainment was so-so as well and they really don’t have a “team” so to speak. They just announce over the loud speaker (I’m talking Kantenah/Colonial/White Sand/Riviera here – no entertainment at RSY) what is coming up next and you may participate if you choose. Iberostar is a lot more organized with their daytime entertainment too, but to be honest, we would never pick an AI because it has great or poor reviews on food or entertainment. Just letting you know….

TOWEL GAME

Based on prior AI experience this seems to happen at ALL AIs – dependent on how crowded they are at the time. We have found that October is the perfect month for travel to an AI. The crowds are way down and we never have trouble finding loungers wherever we want at any time of the day, and that was definitely the case at Palladium. If you can go in October I would do it, because in the Spring the crowds were double or even triple what we have encountered in October. Yes – it technically is still the hurricane season, but we have also had our best AI weather in October for some reason….

TIPPING

Well, this is a personal thing for sure. Tipping is NOT required and is NOT expected and you will NOT receive better or worse service (based on personal observation) if you tip or don’t. My personal philosophy when doing the AI thing is to tip $1 for each drink order we make and then 1-2-3-4 bucks at breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on how much personal attention we get.

I always notice how much tipping is going on when we travel to AIs and this trip was the LEAST amount of tipping the both of us saw. It was kind of sad to be honest, because I know the workers make a pittance compared to the guests (OR way LESS than a pittance), and for the most part, they provide better service then you will receive in your country of origin. I only saw two other guests tipping the entire stay – PATHETIC… But once again – that is solely my opinion – however – I do urge you to tip at least SOME if you go. Please?

End of public service annoyance….

NEGATIVES

Just one…. Palladium Travel Club

Dear Palladium – please STOP this practice!!!

I had read about them before we went so I was prepared – but still – unacceptable in my mind. Basically they are trying to pre-sell you time in their resorts / timeshares or whatever…. The “Travel Club” personnel are obviously paid commission, because they are somewhat relentless. We said NO to the same people multiple times to the point I felt like getting rude (which I didn’t but I shouldn’t have had to feel like that in the first place while I’m on vacation). Said NO in the RSY lobby at check-in. Said NO to the same guy the next day. Took a golf cart ride to the other side of the resort on like day 2 and was unlucky enough to run into a rep on the ride – once again NO. My wife and I walked to all resorts and in every lobby it’s the same thing – NO NO NO NO!!!

We got to meet a lot of wonderful people in the pool and got the same story from all of them – BAD EXPERIENCE. One couple actually did the “presentation” (an hour and a half) so they could get a resort credit. The Travel Club wanted to charge $3500 to his credit card immediately and he said absolutely not. But on the day we talked to them about it, they were happy because they got a $100 credit to shop for souvenirs and they needed to buy some for the family. We ran into them the next day and it turned out the credit was only for the Logo Shop! We had been in that shop and EVERYTHING in the shop has the word “Palladium” on it – EVERYTHING! So, they wasted an hour and a half of their valuable vacation to buy cheap Palladium crap and ADVERTISE for them… Wow – THANKS AGAIN Palladium!

End of story….

Would we NOT return to this resort complex based on the Travel Club experience? NO. BUT – if all things were equal while shopping for the next AI destination – would we consider the Travel Club experience and NOT go to Palladium based on that? YES!

We have been to several AIs as mentioned above and this was the first one that had this very annoying practice. Hopefully Palladium will discontinue this practice, but unfortunately, based on what I read while I was there, they are actually expanding it. I don’t know – maybe I’m the only one that doesn’t want to pay a bunch of money to vacation somewhere and then be pressured by salespeople? Yeah – probably just me….

CONCLUSION

Well – Travel Club aside – RSY is an excellent resort and if you decide to go, I think you will be happy. For us, if we return we would definitely consider visiting one of the other resorts dependent on price. Since most of the restaurants are in the other resorts, I would guesstimate that we spent 95% of our time off the RSY campus. The perks I mentioned above are very nice but whether or not they are worth the upgrade would be totally be based upon price at the time. When we booked RSY there was a special going on and it was cheaper than Iberostar Lindo (our Gold Standard so far), so it turned out to be a great deal. There are so MANY great AIs in the Riviera Maya that if I was you, I would look hard at this one, but I couldn’t say it is a MUST to go. Mostly good – but for us price is always the driving force.

Good luck with your trip planning and if you have any specific questions about this resort complex, or the AI experience in general, please feel free to ask…

Room Tip: Building 70 is central to everything
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Srlbjl,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We have taken note of the points you have indicated .Your experience will help us flag opportunities for which continued improvement is required. We will consider all your remarks.We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, and show you we can exceed your expectations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Great location. Resorts are very nice. The service was very good. Very clean resort. Beach was magnificent. Being able to access all of the resorts and their restaurants was a huge plus. Fantastic cost.

Our biggest issue with this place is the food was wildly inconsistent. In 6 dinners we only had 2 that were good start to finish for both people. For the other times there was always one item we ordered that was bad. A couple of times it was the main course and we were unable to get another. These nights we would just go down to the buffet after. This made for long nights (3ish hours for dinner).

The breakfast was good every day. The lunch buffet was another story. You are far better off going to the beach bar and ordering food there as the lunch buffets rarely had anything worth the calories.

Aside from food the only other issue we came across was a pair of nice sandles being stolen from the spa.

Be prepared of consistent pestering from the agents trying to sell time shares. If you give them a stern no thank you they leave you be, but we were hassled atleast once a day.

All that said it was still a very good vacation. Because there are so many options in the area I doubt we will come back.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Mbunn83,
Thank you for sharing your feedback, your comment is very important to us to constantly improve ourselves.
I hope you have the opportunity to return to the Hotel in the near future.

Sapulpa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I spent the week of our anniversary at this resort (Royal Suite 7119). They really know how to accomidate there customers. Butler service came and decorated our room the evening of our anniversary while we were at dinner. It was a great experience. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Tip for better service!!
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dustin I,

Thank you so much for your lovely words.We will forward your compliments to our staff.
Thanks once again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

What shall I say about this? It was just unbelievable. I had never been in such a fantastic hotel before – perfect food (you have the choice between several restaurants – but I suggest to reserve a table if you want to eat there), many different pools, a very nice spa and fitness area, nice staff (everybody wants to make your stay unforgettable), beautiful beach and and and…
But the most impressive for me was that this hotel has a hart for the nature and you don’t have the feeling that it was built on cost of the nature. You can see a lot of wild animals there and you get some informations how to behave best for nature and what they do for it.
The location is also very good as some attractions (like Tulum) aren’t far away.
Just a perfect place to stay ;-)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Joerg S,

Thank you for the great comments regarding your experience. We are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our facilities and our great location.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I think that this being our 3rd visit to this resort makes me a veteran. However, the difference was now being able to stay in the Royal Yucatan Suites section. We stayed from Sept. 24-Oct.4th. Being a PalldiumAddict I was able to read up on the section at the palladiumaddict forum. And for this trip my wife found us a fantastic trip deal this time through Funjet. Obviously, it's Hurricane season, but that really doesn't scare me too much. We spent 10 days there, which we like to do, for that time of the year. It usally will outlast any days of rain that might come. Plus it is off-season, less people, and the ocean and pools are soooo warm. And now that I've 'tasted' the perks of the Royal Suites, I'm totally ruined. The resort is far south of the airport and we prefer using private transport even when booking with a package company like Apple or others. That way, we get to the resort as fast as possible without stopping for others. AGI transport got us there in an hour. So after landing at 12:30 we headed there and before 2 we were all checked in. Again, returning for our anniversary and being a return guest, we were given a room upgrade which gave us a full suite in the Royal Suite section.
Check in service is usually quick and fast and the Royal section is no different. The special lobby is quaint and cozy with a lounge area and a bar with (top shelf liquor) appetizers. I'm pretty good with Spanish, but what I couldn't express, the staff easily moved into English. Luggage was moved and set up promptly. They also have an app now for the resort both for Apple and Android, which I put on my phone and tablet. At any time I could look at the schedule for the day's activities and even make restaurant reservations! While wi-fi is free in the lobbies, wi-fi is also free in the Royal rooms. I was even able to get connection at the pool!

Rooms: I think it's important to note that only recently the resort rooms have been upgraded and redecorated. They are moving through the resort but I believe the entire resort will be done by November or December. Quite impressed with the improvements. Rooms are assigned a week prior to your visit, so I sent an email with some requests (quiet and private) and was not disappointed. Our room had the most peaceful view of foliage, flowers, and a small canal running by. Plenty of birds, lizards, and finally, finally we had a monkey sighting!! Incredibly private with no other building in our view, (or viewing us) What's nice too about the Royal buildings is that the 1st and 2nd floor also have curtain panels around the balcony/patio that can be drawn as well for even more privacy. The king size bed was very firm and comfortable and had a memory foam topper. Pillows are larger and better. Being in the Royal section you also have access to the entire pillow menu (butterfly, down, memory foam, cervic, etc) at no extra cost so you can even try out different ones till you find one you like. Robes with the Royal emblem embroidered are provided to use. So comfortable, at the end of the trip I bought my wife one ($30). Jetted tubs for a full suite are outside on the balcony/patio. I was surprised at the size. Easily can fit 4 people. 2 padded chaise lounges are also there. New furniture in the rooms are really nice and had a Sony bravia flat screen in both rooms of the suite. The sitting room has a couch (new), which can fold out, coffee table, desk, tv., and a 2nd balcony for sitting. While all the fridges in the resort are stocked with water, soda, and a few beers, the Royal section also provides you with a bottle of rum, vodka, whiskey, and tequila! Not travel size bottles mind you, full size bottles. I've looked at the Cabana suites as well and while they have their own distinction and design, I think I like the full suite better. The bathroom is spacious and they provide plenty of soap, shampoo, lotion, sewing kit, combs, even a razor and gel if you forget. The service from staff, especially Beatriz, was excellent. One evening on a full moon, we returned to our room to find candles lit, a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, champagne on ice,and the tub outside filled with bubble bath with floating candles and rose petals sprinkled everywhere. What a lovely thought and way to celebrate our anniversary!!
You can read my other reviews about all the wonderful things about this property. Adding on to that I will add a couple things that stand out.

Food:Love the restaurants and the variety. Being back a third time I was looking for the quality standard and consistency especially in the Royal section. Food and service was just excellent. The Royal section has a special restaurant as well and room service. Room service food is quite good and there is no lacking in the presentation of your plates as if you went to the restaurant. I do agree with the previous review that the coffee is lacking. However, I preferred the coffee I could make in my room over the coffee in the restaurants. Capuccinos though, surprisingly, were excellent! The restaurant, El Jardin, has wonderful atmosphere and special items you just will not find in the other restaurants. For example, a great breakfast item is their churros. Omelette bar as well has some more items to use and never a line. For dinner there are fondues, of course lobster, and they even had a special which was coconut shrimp! OMG, never had better and served in a little half coconut shell. For dessert you can request a flambe' dessert. They made bananas foster right at our table. Even at El Jardin, the menu each night has a theme. I recommend you allot Friday to eat there and order the Lobster cappellini (also made at your table). Steaks were just fantastic I really wouldn't put Mexican fare coupled with 'gourmet' usually, but they managed to do it in their "Mexican Restaurant"-La Adelita! I highly recommend the pumpkin creme brulee for dessert. The soups in the restaurants are divine as well. Still my favorite restaurant. The mediterranean restaurant, Mare Nostrum, coming in at a close second. Had the best lamb chops. And don't forget to request to sit outside with the koi pond surrounding you. There are only 3 tables to sit at out there and it was fantastic. No one seemed to think of it so we had a romantic dinner all alone. No problem with mosquitoes either. But we brought some spray just in case. Being in the Royal, lobster is included at any of the restaurants. Had it sometimes alone, had it along with another entree. Went for the surf and turf at the El Dorado steak house. Prepared fantastic. I believe they can serve it 3 ways. I only had the lobster served Bernardo style which gives you a dish of drawn garlic butter and another 'bernardo' sauce. Extremely decadent.
The buffets are huge and even though each night there are 'themes' there is always a bit of everything. I found the food to be the right temperature as well with plenty of diversity. The breakfasts are magnificent. Panini stations, omelette bar, smoothie bar, and such a variety and freshness of breads and pastries. Mimosas each morning too.
I also appreciated a high level of food quality and the beach side snack bar. The lunch buffet by the main pool has thee most fantastic seasoned steak fries. Plus you can get some fresh grilled fish, chicken, or meats. Fresh made pizzas and a custom pasta bar are there too. And the pork loin at the carving station was like buttah! I also liked the variety of greens and salads there as well.

Pools: The size of a lake, very clean too. Areas for kids, areas if you want to be left alone, areas to have fun with the entertainment staff. However, being in the Royal section, when not in the ocean I stayed at the private Royal pool. What can I say, that pool and Royal lobby bar has top shelf spirits for us too. (Don Julio tequila, grand marnier, Crown Royal, Blue sapphire gin, Appleton rum, all the flavored Absolut vodkas,etc etc.) And Luis at the pool bar made the most awesome golden margaritas! Not to mention that the perks there are a bit more comfortable. ie. they bring you drinks to your chair, quiet, have sun beds to lay on, fresh fruit skewers, and even stocked with ice cream right at the bar. What? I can't have mango & coconut ice cream in one hand and a golden margarita in the other? Life was good!

Spa: Seems seldom mentioned, but I just love the spa. Especially when you run into a cloudy day or part of the day. Great facility with most free areas: Infinity pool, lazy river, jacuzzi, warm waterfalls to stand under, sauna, steam room, and hydrom massage. Very relaxing and should not be overlooked.
Beach: The Kantenah section has the most pristine part of the beach. The far left (as you look at the ocean) of the beach seems a bit calmer and you can walk out a good 100 yards on clean sand in 3 ft. water. Closest to the Royal section, the beach is rockier with more shells and coral, but when in the water, a great area to snorkel around. Plus a place to have fajitas or burgers 10 ft. from the water. No need to walk down to the other end of the beach, being in the Royal a golf cart will drive you right down to that end and back at any time you wish. But after such a breakfast, I needed the walk to get some calories burnt off. Turtles come to nest and they have a shelter set up to protect the eggs. We got to see a baby turtle hatch one day which was really neat. I know its vacation time but I always recommend seeing a sunrise at least once while there. We walked down to Punta Emilia on the beach and would see the sunrise. You can have capuccino or have champagne which they have chilled and ready. Such a nice start to the day.

Bars and Entertainment: Bars a plenty including a sports bar. I've read other reviews about the drinks and strength of them. ("Boo hoo, wah wah, the drinks are weak"). Remember, the main bars are serving a lot of people and they of course have a responsibility not to overserve. If you want a stronger drink all you have to do is just ask for it to be a double-No big whoop. I too would like to see ginger ale and real cranberry juice added to the offerings. My wife just could not get a good cosmo there. The cranberry they use is more like a cranberry flavored mixer not juice or even juice blend. But just a small criticism not worth taking a star off. We took in a show now and then but mostly enjoyed our evenings listening to the live music near on of the lobbys. A new 'Rock show' is being performed with different musicians and live music. Pretty good actually. The Hemingway bar has live piano music, a great bar, and superb little desserts in a refrigerated case to snag when you want. Sure there is a disco which opens late with some theme nights but mostly they play techno. It would be nice to have an area to slow dance with live music which they still don't have! But this seems to be something lacking with many resorts so my observation is not slighted really toward the Palladium.

The grounds:
Kept immaculate. Well situated near the beach but yet, very lush with lots of magroves and deep foliage. Plenty of wildlife. Covered thatch walkways keep you dry if you get caught in a shower and are easy to navigate to wherever you are going. But in the Royal they also provide your room with an umbrella which is a nice touch.
Service and Management: Service from room attendants to bartenders, to servers, to management was always high level. Overall, I must express that this hotel also has a very high consciousness toward being eco-friendly and utilizing conservation ideals in their operations. A must try and can't wait to return AGAIN. A perfect spot for a relaxing style of vacation.
If you are considering this resort and/or upgrading to staying at the Royal Suites section here's a few points of perks to remember:

Free wi-fi in rooms, app to make reservations
Included Butler service (really though a concierge is more accurate) with turn down service.
Room service
Hard liquor included in room.
Special transport to any part of the property whenever you want
Top shelf liquor at Royal bars
Private pool, private lounging section at beach.
Pillow menu included, embroidered robes/slippers to use.
More private rooms/buildings
Special restaurant just for Royal section
Lobster included and can be ordered at any of the restaurants.
No towel cards to use, get towels and as many as you like wherever, and whenever you like.
Nice amenities in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Toastman,

Thank you very much for your kind words, which are very much appreciated. We will forward your compliments to our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Gibbons, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at the Royal Suites from Sept 19 to 28, 2012. We arrived from the airport via the PTC private transfer - very quick service btw, at about 2 pm and after checking in (which was very quick) our room was ready early. I had requested a jr suite with a king size bed in a private, quiet location. We were given room 7033 - top floor, inside corner of Villa 70 - perfect location! Our view was of the jungle, the Mayan suites were below in front of us but hidden by trees. You could enjoy the jacuzzi or sun bathe in complete privacy (if you know what I mean). The room itself was freshly upgraded and the decor is really nice. Considering you don't spend much time in the room it is more than adequate for two people. A large selection of amenities are provided - shampoo, conditioner, shaving kit, toothbrush kits (2), vanity kits (2), and more!

We enjoyed many of the a la carte restaurants, our favorite being La Adelita (Hermanigildo was our server - he was amazing, best service of our entire trip) - we really enjoyed the food, but it was the atmosphere that put it over the top. The wait staff were busy running around the restaurant serving customers, etc. and as they went they would randomly start singing along to the background music - it was wonderful! We also enjoyed the show table at Sumptuori - the food was decent, the group we were seated with were another Canadian couple, 3 couples from Poland, and another english speaking couple (not sure where they were from). Nice to meet other people from around the world. The show itself could have been better - we've been to a few Teppanyaki places both at home and when we've travelled and the shows have been both better and worse. Bamboo was a nice dining experience but we found the restaurant and especially the buffet area not very well lit - other people were complaining of this as well. El Jardin was good, as expected. Punta Emilia is an experience not to be missed. We had lobster at El Jardin - very good; Ribs and More - excellent that lobster was HUGE; and Punta Emilia in combination with the grilled seafood - wow what a plate of food that was - highly recommend it!

We enjoyed the Royal section of the beach - nice bali beds and lots of shade, sandwich service was nice, no drink service while we were there though. We only went all the way to this area twice, we preferred to walk to the salt water pool, which was quite close to our room. Even on the cloudy, windy days it was still very nice sitting and reading by the salt water pool. Never could get a bali bed in the shade there though - too busy. All the bartenders were wonderful - my hubby likes his "concoctions" and never had a bad drink. I tried a Summer something or other and would never have that again - Vodka, Apple Juice, Apple Syrup or something, etc. it was really bad!! Cerveza's were always cold and delicious though!

The special attention and extra perks you get as a Royal guests are definitely worth the upgrade to the Royal Suites - we wouldn't stay anywhere else now that we've been on the Royal side - too many good things to mention.

If I had one complaint, and for us it was a bit of a problem - the coffee provided in the room was awful! We tried different methods of making it - tap water, bottled water, cold bottled water, room temperature water, etc. and nothing made it drinkable - it was weak and had an off, kind of chemical taste to it. We ended up not drinking coffee in the room and would go to the lobby bar and get a couple of to go coffees. This solved the problem, but it would have been nice to enjoy coffee in the room whenever we wanted to - we really love our coffee and for sure missed it. I would carry around the little packets of coffeemate whenever we went out of the room, just in case I had an opportunity to have a good coffee! The coffee that the resort serves in the bars and restaurants is delicious, just not in the room.

We had massages at the Spa - very good service. The free areas are really nice and there were quite a few people taking advantage of them. The steam rooms are really good, and they use aromatherapy in them - not sure what the scent was but it was very cleansing. The sauna I thought could be hotter, but maybe that's just me or the 100+ it was outside that day.

We will be back - if you are thinking of booking this place go for it! You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms offer the most privacy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nsstampqueen,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. Your comments are very important to us to constantly improve ourselves.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!