“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Antelope, California
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We just returned last night from the Royal Suites Yucatan. We booked a Jr. Suite because when we went to Puerto Vallarta last year we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite. When we arrived on July 15, late, but that's another story, we were upgraded to a Governors Suite. It was amazing. Rose petals all over the bed and room. The location was across the Royal Suites Pool. We absolutely received the Royal treatment. The attention to detail is awesome. Even the little things such as not needing room key cards to get towels and room service. There were no children where we were. Even though the Royal Beach was on the other side of the property all you had to do was call for the Royal "taxi". We are still wondering if a negative review we read was staying where we were. We can't relate to it. The staff is incredible, they work so hard and are so eager to please. The bartenders at all the Royal Bars even had our drinks ready when they saw us coming. This was our third time at the Palladium, second time at the Royal Suites, it was not the last. When we arrived we had a very warm and informative greeting and when we left a heartfelt "hasta luego" (sp?) Can't wait to go back.

(the lobster was fantastic)

John Kusmit and Lisa I Kusmit

Room Tip: Never heard any noise on the 2nd floor. Suite was a corner one and both balconies were sunny and sh...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear lisaji,
Thank you so much for your endearing comments. It means so much to us when you take your valuable time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. It is our goal to give exceptional customer care to our guests. I will pass your comments on to our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Suites Yucatàn.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The royal treatment is all we got in paradise, just amazing. This was a girls trip with my mother- inlaw, sister-inlaw, & myself. I chose the adult only mainly because of the dedicated golf cart guys catering to us so my mother inlaw didn't have to walk with her disability. We had a Jr. suite with 2 dbl beds & a sleeper sofa , mini fridge loaded & full bar all included. The room was huge with a private porch with jetted tub that 3 of us fit it well, the nice robes& sleepers were a nice perk. Room service a also included which we got our first night after traveling all day we were beat. To our surprise Champnge was also included ahhh a girls dream. We had the luxury of going to all four resorts and all restaurant & buffets. Lobster was also included for Royals at ala cart restaurants. We had no problem getting reservations at any restaurants. The El Jardin at the Royal Suites was our favorite but the Mexican had to be the second favorite. All the lobbies were breathtakingly beautiful and ditto for the grounds, take a lot of pictures to try to show the poor suckers at home that didn't get to go on your trip. The food is pretty good just look around at each buffet most have diffent things everyday. They do have to cater to serval different cultures keep that in mind when you take a stroll around the buffets. There was almost always hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza & chicken nuggets. The staff was always helpful & pleasant. I have been to alot of beaches but this has to be the softest sand & the clearest water. I can't wait to go back and this time stay with my husband & kids at one of the other four Palladium resorts Riviera, White Sands, Kantena, or Colonial.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Piccolachef

We appreciate you taking the time to review The Royal Suites Yucatán.

We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable and would like to thank you for your comments on the hotel and the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at the Royal Suites Yucatan, June 30 to July 7. We were in the Royal Mayan Suite Cabanas. Just to give a reference to my review, we’ve stayed at resorts in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, and some other resorts along that stretch of Mexican coast. We always stayed at the all inclusive resorts, so we are used to that.

Most of the Staff are great. The bar staff remembers your name, if you chat with them for any length of time. You can get just about any frozen concoction you want. Standard mixed drinks, wine and beers are always available. The bar staff is eager to please. The rest of the Staff always seemed friendly for the most part as well, smiles and ‘Holas’, or ‘Buenos Dias’ each day.

The grounds are very well kept and constantly cleaned. Lots of wildlife, and some feral cats to entertain. Watch out for the raccoons if you eat at the Punta Emilia. They can reach your table top while standing on the hind legs. The La Laguna Restaurant does have a bit of a battle with the black birds though, don’t leave a plate un-attended.

Ala Carte Restaurants were pretty good, food-wise. The Bamboo Restaurant was particularly good, and sushi was the favorite there. The Royal exclusive, El Jardin Restaurant, was ok. No complaints really, and the only advantage we found was that there was no waiting. The food was good.

The Punta Emilia is definitely worth the reservation. It was tasty, and something different in seafood.

The Buffets were hit and miss. But for us, mostly miss. I will say that there were some unusual dishes on the buffets. I would read the description, and think to give it a try, but you could tell that they had been sitting in their pans for quite some time, and didn’t seem very appealing. If food dishes weren’t chosen constantly, and needed to be resupplied, then they are just left to die in their pans. I did notice that anything that was made fresh, in front of you, always seem to be the most popular with other Guests. That makes sense.

On the subject of food, we didn’t go to La Adelita Restaurant, the ala carte, Mexican restaurant, so I can’t answer to it. I do realize that here in Texas, we are used to ‘Tex-Mex’, which isn’t the same as true, authentic, Mexican food. However, the buffets did surprise me with the lack of what most of the Mexican resorts we have been to, have for basic buffet food selections. Refried beans, enchiladas of different kinds, flour tortillas, make your own tacos, burritos, etc. I realize that those items aren’t exactly gourmet, but I think that they are staples. I am not saying don’t have something different, tasty and unusual, but for buffets, at a Mexican resort, there should be certain items available daily. But that’s just my opinion, and I am reminded that this Resort has quite a bit of European influence, so maybe that is the answer. I will give them props for their guacamole, though, that was SO tasty.

Lunch is the resorts weakest meal.

Another aspect that still confounds us was the temperature in just about every restaurant. It was SO stuffy and hot in most of them. Stifling would be the best way to put it. It made trying to enjoy a meal just about impossible. Now, we are used to the outside heat, in Texas, we have plenty of that. But when I go in to enjoy a meal, the last thing that I should do is sweat. Yes, sweat. One of the only comfortable meals was at Punta Emilia, and it was outside, in the evening. The breeze off the water made all the difference. I think that if they just had ceiling fans in the restaurants, just to move the air, it would make a world of difference.

The room air conditioner was ok, just ok. I can’t imagine someone being too cold in there, but I guess that’s possible. Again, I think that ceiling fans in the rooms would make it so much better. One thing I found puzzling was that above the Jacuzzi tub, was a square cut hole that had a decorative ‘X’ grating in it, but it was open to the outside. It wasn’t real big, but mosquitoes and such, don’t need much space to pass through, and besides, it was also a great escape for cool air. Not sure of it’s intended function. Speaking of rooms, the outside shower concept is pretty neat, but only in theory. Because this is a mangrove area, there is wildlife that abounds, and the shower area is totally open on top. Open to the weather elements, birds, iguanas, ants, spiders, assorted bugs, and even raccoons (yes they can walk on the thatch roofs), and they all have access to your shower area. One night, somebody found my wife’s facial cleaning stuff very appetizing. So don’t leave anything in the shower area, that you want to keep. You might also want to bring your shower flip-flops or whatever, because you may find that the outside floor tile isn’t exactly as clean as an indoor shower’s tile/floor would be. Especially if there has been an extra visitors out there. Also, if you stay in Cabana #7202, go to the glass doorway leading to the outside shower, and waive to the folks on the third floor, corner room balcony, in Building #69. Not that they really want to see you, but they seem to have a pretty good vantage point, before you step outside into the shower area. And, as you get into, and out of, Jacuzzi bathtub, give then another waive since there are no curtains or shades for that glass doorway entry. I only noticed anyone on that balcony a couple of times, and personally, it didn’t matter that much to me. I just found it interesting that I had never read anything about it in any review. Perhaps the people can’t see anything from their balcony, after all, I never went up and asked them. But for the modest, it might be a bit uncomfortable.

The entire Grand Palladium resort is huge. The Royal Suites are just a small part, adults only, and very quiet. We heard rumors that there was a ground floor break-in, into several rooms of a couple of buildings the evening after we arrived, but we didn’t have any issues. If you adventure beyond the Royal area, most things are a pretty good walk, and families, i.e. children, abound. So even though this area is adult only, don’t expect not to see children. Unless you can go from your room, to the pool, to El Jardin, and back to your room, exclusively, you will have children running about. Not complaining, just stating fact. There is a dedicated golf cart for Royal guests only. Best advice it to wait for it at the Lobby, since trying to call for a room pick up never yielded any results. You can also ask for it to be summoned when you are at other parts of the resort. That worked for the most part too.

The Royal pool is small, and quiet. I don’t think that there ever any more than 12 people there at one time. Most of the time, it was just a few couples. We visited the dedicated beach area only once. Walked there, but took the Royal cart back. The dedicated area does not go up to the water, so if you are thinking that you can rest is a Bali bed and watch the surf, you are mistaken. Bring your bug spray too. Beach and pool side snacks are pretty much limited to a few types of pre-made sandwiches. All of them are triple bread, and served in diagonal cut, crust-less halves, in triangle-shaped plastic containers. You can have all you want, but they’ll come to you one, or maybe two, at a time. It is easy to get tired of them. I had thought that maybe the Room Service menu might be available pool side, but it isn’t. That might be something for the suggestion box. Also watch out for the wildlife, they know what is in those triangle shaped plastic containers, by sound and smell. At the Royal pool, you can have a snack mix and/or peanuts, but that isn’t advertised, so you’ll have to ask for it. These are served in small plastic cups.

Overall, this is a pretty nice place. We won’t be returning, and I honestly have to say, that I would not have chosen this as a Traveler’s Choice for All Inclusive. However, for the price/cost, it was ok. Nothing really that bad, but nothing really that great, either (well, except for the Staff…they are great). I realized that there are other’s really enjoy this place, and make it a constant return spot. So, maybe it was just us, and our experience. To each, their own, I guess. That’s why there are so many different resorts down in that area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear iluvink
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and to let us know how we can make some improvement.
We are glad you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They'll be happy to know they have been recognized for a job well done.
We do regret not meeting your expectations during your last visit but we are looking forward to welcoming you back. Your opinion is important for our establishment and provides us with helpful hints about what we can do to improve the quality of our product and services.
Best Regards,

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just got back from the royal suites and it was a great week. We were travelling with another couple and it was our honeymoon.

First and formost when you get there make sure you see Pedro the VIP shuttle driver. He made our week so much fun, he was nice and entertaining. An other person to see is Jose the bartender at the royal lobby. He made sure that our drinks were full and tasty. Both of these two guys new us by name and made us feel good when we where leaving they came to say good by. If you do the Segway fun tours see if you can get Omar as your tour giud because he makes the trip fun and takes lots of poctures for you with your camera. The rest of the employes we met were very nice and friendly.

Rooms: we started in the royal junior suit. It was very nice (6935 and 6926) however we did have a small problem, our sink was backing up. We called and was told that the pipe needed to be replaced but because it was Sunday it could not be done till the morning. That morning when we got back from brackfast the problem was fixed. We then got moved to the Mayan suites, (7204 and 7205) these rooms were great as well.
The food was great and the pool was amazing.

Can't wait until I can go back

• Stayed July 2012
Dear ringettegirl,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.
We are glad to know that our staff was helpful to assist you and to hear that your issue was resolved to your satisfaction. We also appreciate your compliments on our hotel and staff and are looking forward to welcome you again.

Warmest regards,

Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a great resort and an amazing beach. The Royal Suites is the only place to stay. The rooms were great and the Royal Suites pool was quiet and private.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear so1333,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Royal Suites Yucatán on Trip Advisor, reading this makes all the hard work of the team worth it. We look forward to seeing you in your future travels.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned yesterday, unfortunately, and I'm looking forward to booking another trip to the Royal Suites. From the second we got there til the moment we left, I truly felt like royalty. Any issues/concerns we had were handled quickly and professionally with a smile on the employees faces. I celebrated my birthday while there and when returning to the room before dinner, to my surprise the room was filled with balloons, chocolate cake, and champagne. My girlfriend did not arrange such a wonderful gift. I'm bad with names and there are so many people I would like to thank but I especially want to thank Jose Luis and Israel for their exceptional service during my stay. I hope to see them again soon. The golf cart transportation is alone worth the higher cost of the Royal Suites...top shelf alcohol doesn't hurt either haha. Thanks again for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear dpedan29,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us. We value each guest and are honored when we are able to share these comments with our staff and other guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned from an 8 day trip to the Royal Suites. We were extremely disappointed. We take a summer trip to Mexico every year and always stay at an adult only resort. We have had amazing experiences...until this trip. My husband and I like to spend a lot of time at the beach, dining at restaurants with ocean views, drinking by the pool, playing pool/beach volleyball, participating in entertainment staff activities, attending the evening shows, and being pampered. We only enjoyed going to the beach on this trip. Here is a breakdown of why we were so disappointed.
1. No one greeted us upon arrival, bothered to sit down with us and explain the size of the resort, or how to get around.
2. The beach is beautiful, however it is far, far, far from the hotel and you must take a golf cart, additionally the 'adult only' section on the beach reserved for Royal guests does not offer any views of the ocean from the beach beds, so if you decided to wander away from the TINY area then there might be a ton of kids!!!
3. The only adult restaurant is located in the Royal Suites area if you wish to dine anywhere else you must make reservations-- sometimes two days in advance, and there WILL be children in those restaurants!!!
4. There are no ocean views from anywhere on the Royal Suites property, the only ocean dining available is at Punta Emilia and you must make reservations 2 days prior to when you would like to go!! Then to top it off they cover the ocean view with curtains!! We asked them to open them and they said they could not..
5. No adult only activities exist, if you want to play beach volleyball there might be a five year old playing too, and then the rules change and you cannot spike the ball. My husband and I like to play competitively with other adults, so this was a big downer.
6. Lunch SUCKS at this resort, you can only get buffet (unless you want a cold sandwich everyday), it is worse than McDonlads, and is much like a cattle call--very chaotic and loaded with lots of people.
7. The evening shows are amateur. They do not hire out shows. So you will not see a magic show, circus, Michael Jackson Show, etc.
8. FYI--THEY HAVE NO LIGHT BEER!!!!!
9. Part of our trip was stressful due to having to make reservations, put up with screaming children in the middle of lunch/dinner, and having to travel everywhere. We want to just go with the flow on vacation..isn't that what vacation is??? Escaping your reality with no planning, phones, screaming kids etc...

The above reasons are why we will never return to the Royal Suites. The service at the Royal Suites was good, but poor at the other properties. We tried to change hotels, but the Royal Suites wanted to charge us $1200 for one night, and we all know it is much less than that to stay there!! There is nothing wrong with the service or food at the Royal Suites, but just be prepared to understand it is not truly an adult only resort. It will only be an adult only resort if you stay at the tiny pool, the tiny area at the beach, and you only eat at El Jardin. The staff at Royal Suites were very accommodating and attempted to please us, as they knew were not happy. They changed our room, filled and decorated our hot tub a couple of nights, and tried very hard to please us. They were awesome, but this is just not the experience that we were expecting. There is no problem with the hotel...it is the property, which makes it not truly an adult only hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mrc19791980,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, they are important to us.
Your experience will help us flag opportunities for which continued improvement is required. We will consider all your remarks.
We apologize for any inconvenience you suffered and hope to welcome you back to our property.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!