“Royal Suites was a Wonderful Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Littleton, Colorado
“Royal Suites was a Wonderful Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was our 4th time to an all inclusive resort in the Mayan Riveria and 2nd time to the Grand Palladium. We stayed from May 17 - May 26 2012. Since we were not bringing our kids this time we decided to stay at the Royal Suites section since we stayed at the White Sands section in 2011 and it was so good we decided to come back this year and we have never repeated at a resort before. We have been to the Valentin and to the Iberostar resorts and we feel the Royal Suites is a step above both. The differences are their attentive staff, amenities, and royal treatment. As echoed in other reviews, El Jardin is a great restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Their staff like Genis the waiter were super helpful and took care of your every need. My husband had a problem with communicating with the omelet station cook to ask for a sunny side up egg and he wound up getting a fried egg... rather than be a bother he just expressed to our waiter, Genis that he just wanted a sunny side up egg and Genis said, "No problem, you are my best friend and I will get you your eggs the way you want" A few minutes later he returned with 2 perfectly cooked sunny side eggs. These small things mean a lot to us. And they do it all with a smile.
Pedro and Alberto were our butlers for the stay and they were AWESOME --- LIKE ROCKSTARS!! They always were there to take care of whatever you needed and where ever you wanted to go. (Pedro would always tease my husband and I when he would see us walking that we walked too much and we would tell Pedro we were hunting for a chupacabra)
We had a suite with the jacuzzi on the porch and the first night and another night (twice!) we returned to our room in the evening our jacuzzi was filled for us with lots of bubbles. We also had champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, candles lit everywhere. Turn down service every night - oh my gosh we could go on and on how all these little things meant so much to us. The towel art was so amazing!
Wendy at the Travel Club was so gracious and attentive on what we needed. I think we took her by surprise when we requested only water in our fridge... no alcohol. She said she never has had anyone ask for 16 bottles of water. But we try to drink a lot, we are healthy and we try to stay hydrated to counteract all the alcohol we are consuming throughout the day at the pool, beach and bars.(speaking of alcohol - try a pineapple or melon mojito or even a sombero drink) And Jose Luis in the reception bar makes the BEST Bloody Marys (thanks Tim for that recommendation) Ask Jose Luis to tell you the secret ingredient (pssst it's just a dash of Worcestershire Sauce).
When at the Royal Beach, Marieanna is the best waitress we have ever had on a vacation ever! She is so sweet and attentive to you. One day I asked her for the fruit cup and she didn't have any left but instead of turning me away empty handed she gave me a cup of cut up coconut with a little tabasco, lime and salt and it was the best thing I ever had! I told my husband how good it was, the next time we saw her my husband mentioned he liked it and she told him it was an off menu item and it was actually something she would make for herself for a snack and she offered to make some for him. We felt honored and privledged that she would offer this to us. We were truly treated like family from her and all of the staff and we tipped frequently because of the great service we received and because everyone works so hard to make sure you are having a great time.
Bottom line if you are a negative person and have a bad and negative attitude about everything then you can find fault in paradise. But we felt the opposite. This was truly wonderful for the 9 days we were there and we actually experienced a ton of rain the first 3 days we were there. But we used the spa, gym, jacuzzi and hung out in the reception lobbies and it was fun!
If you are considering the Royal Suites, just pay attention to the great reviews as you will find they are consistent with what we experienced.
One suggestion would be to hire a private transport for your arrival - since it is a long drive from the airport to the resort it is nice to have a non-stop transport to take you straight there. We have used Cancun Valet for just the arrival transportation and it is worth the $80. Since we book through Apple Vacations we just use the transportation included for just the way back to the airport for our departure.

Room Tip: Building 69 or 70 is great - away from bridge and traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
long beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stayed in a Royal Suite which was nicer than many people's apartments.
Internet service is free in the room.
The service is evident everywhere: in the Lounge, in the private Restaurant (El Jardin), and at the PRIVATE pool.The pool stays open with bar service until midnite!
All of the staff are so friendly including bell hops, bar staff , waiters and even maintenance will give you a friendly "hola" as they pass by.
Nature lovers will enjoy plants and animals.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear allinclusiveexpert,
I love when people realize that our staff makes a big effort to provide the best service. Thank you for your comments and I hope you visit us soon.

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I’ll start off by saying I’ve been to a palladium chain 4 times now. 3 times in Punta Cana (where we got married) and once now in Mexico. This whole trip was all about comparing.

Transfer:
We used USA Transfer’s. It was easy, trust worthy and comfortable. We got out of the airport and they had someone standing there with their name on their t-shirts so it was very easy to spot. He called the driver to say we were there. We did have to walk a minute to the van but they helped with our luggage, really smooth. It was completely private so it took us an hour to get to our resort. He was friendly and answered any questions we had.
The pick up from the resort was on time as promised. This guy spoke better English so he talked to us about Mexico and some history and economy. Again only took us an hour to get back to the airport... very smooth once again. Very reliable I would highly suggest and recommend using them for your transfer’s and tours. They will be the only company we use now when travelling to Mexico.

Rooms/service: Rooms were very spacious and clean. But not as nice as the royal rooms in PC but how much time do you spend in your room. For what we needed it for it did the job and was very comfortable. The only down fall was it was 2 doubles as suppose to a king size. The bath tub on the balcony was a nice touch...watch the stars in a nice Jacuzzi was the perfect way to end an evening. The maid did a wonderful job every single day, as well as turn down service there was never a night missed (unlike PC back in Nov we never got it) I requested a pillow from the menu the night we arrive and we got it the very same day!!! That evening we were getting ready for bed and wanted to watch T.V but realized our remote wasn’t working. We let our butler know we left for the day and come back to a brand new remote. For me this was big as in PC I never got my pillow (on our last visit) and never got our broken phone fixed. We saw our butler everyday and if I didn’t all I had to do was call a number and get whatever I needed. The service was outstanding from the maid to butler, bar tenders and restaurant servers. Always with a smile and nothing seem too much for anyone if asked. Room service was amazing too but we only did it for breakfast, was within the 30mins like told and was perfect temperature.

Restaurants: We did the royal resto the most. The first night I think they were under staffed so the wait was very long, 2 ½ hours to get a meal. However every other day or night was perfect service always good and the food even better. We tried the ribs and more which was great and if you’re in the royal you can get the lobster (they normally charge $35 but royal guest is free) it’s a meal on its own it was huge. Myself am not a lobster fan but these were delicious!!! We also did the Mexican another delicious meal and very authentic once again the waiters always had a smile on their face, willing to take any picture you want. We did another one but I can’t remember for the life of me which one... I was under the weather so I didn’t eat but the rest of my group did and loved it. I had the French onion soup though and that was good just like being home in Montreal! Just thinking about all the food now is making me drool. The one thing you won’t do here is go hungry. We did most of our lunch on the beach chicken wings were to die for and so were the fajita’s! We also did a few buffets one at the Riviera section and one at the Colonial. All very very good and never once did I feel like I was eating buffet food. I find the food in PC to be amazing and very good. But I found the food here better maybe their spices or just the way they cook their food. Either way they were both good just one was a bit better than the other. I can say this, I’ve never ever had such good steak at an AL then here. I find the cuts are just not the same then at home or if you ask for well done it’s over done but if you ask for medium well is bloody but not here, at any of the a la carts!!! (Mind you I get that at home very hard to cook)

Pool,Beach/Grounds: The grounds were amazing. True feeling of a jungle got to see so many beautiful birds with different colours and different sound, what made it better was once we closed our bedroom door we never heard a thing!! The grounds are huge so you have a trolley and golf carts to get you around. So many things to see right on the resort even an alligator pen!
The Pools are huge with many activity’s going on during the day for adults and kids. We hung out by the royal pools a couple of days a perfect place if you want to stay close to the rooms. As always great services at the bar, they even had sandwiches. The beach is stunning, which surprised me because I was told countless times how Maya doesn’t have nice beach and that they are rocky. Not here!! Yes on the riveria section it was rocky and not a lot of sand but the further you walked down the nicer and more sand it become. Especially at the royal section beach (in front of the Kentenah section) it was pure white smooth sand. No rocks... there were a few spots in the water to get in that had a few rocks but nothing you couldn’t step over. You have about 10-20 feet of sand in the water then it turns to coral where you can see a million different fish while snorkeling. I was advised to bring water shoes, never used them once! As always the bar service was great, at times could be a little bit of wait but no rush your on vacation right!! If you show your royal bracelet you’ll get top shelf liquor here, and they will remember you =)

Over all : Punta Cana Palladium will always have a soft spot in our heart as we got married there plus all the staff there are like family, will definitely return sometime. However I will be back to Mexico palladium before I head back to PC. The whole jungle/tropical feel, the beach (the lack of boats on the water compared to PC) the out of this world service, food and so much more will have me back here quicker than I thought. Have any questions msg me!

P.S we went to Tulum ruins (which is closest to our resort) we took the collective bus (3 peso’s p/p each way) was smooth, comfortable and felt very safe. The ruins are definitely something to see!! If you’re going to do this I’d suggest doing it on your own. You can always hire a guide at the ruins for $30-35 we didn’t do this and don’t regret it. They have signs at each ruin giving info. The beach here is stunning!! but crowded. Have fun!!!!!! You’ll love this place!

Room Tip: personally don't think there is a bad room/building on the royal side (we had building 70)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SunAddict24,
It is nice to receive comments from repetitive customers. I haven't visited our Resort in PC yet but I can say that we have the same procedures and we work as a big team. It is not easy to compare two different resorts and as you said you will always have good things in both so you just need to keep coming hehe...

Gilmer, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a visit to the Royal Suites at the Grand Palladium Riviera Maya (May 17-20). To say that we were blown away and impressed would not do it justice. From the service, to the dining, to the complete atmosphere.......we felt like we had found a new home. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, we felt like we were the only visitors at the resort. Anytime we wanted to go somewhere in the resort, all we had to do was dial the concierge extension and request a cart and within 5 minutes we had private transportation to the royal beach, restaurants, lobbies, or anywhere else we desired to go. I highly recommend Pedro, as he was our favorite driver/bellman. He has a great sense of humor, and will take the time to explain things to you if you have questions. As far as the food at the resort, all I can tell you is the buffet at the white sands lobby was our favorite. The only ala carte we tried was El Jardin, and the food was very good.....as well as the presentation. We really enjoyed the 24hr room service as it was nice to order and 30 minutes later it was delivered directly to our Royal Mayan Suite where we could eat overlooking the water, or in the room at our leisure. We were in 7206 and the only complaint that I can find about the room was that it is located right next to the bridge and you can hear the cart traffic as it goes by. By far, this was the best vacation we have ever taken..........and we are already ready to go back to our new 2nd home. I had planned to talk to their vacation people while I was there about a timeshare, but never made the time..........will have to look into that. All and all I would recommend the Royal Suites to anyone who is looking to taking a stress free quiet trip away from kids. It is definitely worth the extra you pay to have the Adults only pool and beach access. Thank You!

Room Tip: Any of the Royal Mayan Suites looked to be peaceful and quiet, with a great deal of privacy.
Dear Garey L,
It makes me feel really happy that you consider our Royal Suites your new 2nd home. You don't have to worry about your new home and everything will be ready for your next visit.

Halifax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Check in at the Royal Suites lobby was a breeze. We arrived in the morning and our room would not be ready until 3PM. This was no problem as the Royal Lobby has a private shower and changing area for guest arriving early or departing later. After changing, we were whisked away by a Royal Suites cart to the reserved beach area. Lounged for the afternoon enjoying cocktails, lunch and a swim on the beautiful beach.

Our room was ready on time. We had a one bedroom king suite on the third floor. Everything in the room was as it should be and I would recommend this configuration for the small extra cost. There was an IPod dock and two flat screen TV's with HDMI inputs to plug in your camera. There were two balconies, one with reclining chairs and one with loungers and a double spa. They have a full pillow menu, which is a nice touch.

The next morning we ordered room service, which was delivered promptly, but there was an error on the order. They quickly returned with the missing items. This resort has a staff that is focused on your satisfaction. This was the case with almost every staff member we met. Simply call the butler at 8601 or ask a staff member and what you want will occur if it can occur.

Food at the resort was very good overall. Not true fine dining, but very good for an all-inclusive resort. The buffets had a wide variety of food, they were very clean and the service was prompt.

We hired an on site photographer to do a photo shoot, with great results.

The snorkelling off the beach is very nice with lots of reef to explore.

The Spa service is good and can be booked online in advance, which is a nice touch.

The Bali beds are cleaned frequently the pools are spotless and the grounds are beautiful.

A cab to Playa Del Carmen is about $25 each way if you want to do some shopping, but the resort has selected vendors who set up kiosks at the lobbies.

The overall Grand Palladium complex is huge. If you do not want to walk, call a cart or ask a staff member to call one for you. The most you will wait is 10 minutes.

We plan to return to this resort.

Dear CKB964,
Thank you for your good comments. I always appreciate when an experienced traveler as you, write a good opinion about our services.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Middletown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was our 4th stay at Grand Palladium Riviera Maya. We stayed for the week May 4th to May 11th. This time we tried the Royal Suites and it was great. We brought friends (two couples) with us. One couple had been before and the other couple were first-timers. The first-timers were so impressed that they plan to cancel a reservation at a resort in Jamaica and come back to Grand Palladium Riviera Maya in January.
This is a very big resort but very easy to get around from the Royal Suites. Transportation was always readily available. It appeared that there was also plenty of transportation available at the other facilities .
The adult pool at the Royal Suites was just outside our building (Bldg 69) - just steps away. Actually the pool is totally convenient to all three buildings in the Royal area. There were always plenty of lounges available and the bar service was great. One nice feature is that the pool and bar in the Royal area stay open until midnight.
The Spa is incredible. We spend a whole day there. Five of us has massage and all agreed they were great. After the massage you can spend time at the Spa pool and the various other free facilities available at the Spa.
One of the most impressive features of this resort is how well it is maintained and how clean it is. The room was always beautifully clean.
There are a couple of areas that we all felt could use improvement. First the shows - they are very amateurish. Wasn't expecting great, based on past visits, but tried 3 different shows and had to leave each after 10 or 15 minutes.
Another area that could use some improvement is the food at the El Jardin restaurant. It is really about the same as the other restaurants. The service was very good but was expecting a better quality of food at this restaurant.
Overall this was a great vacation. We will definitely be going back. The Royal Suite Area is certainly worth the extra cost.

Room Tip: All of the buildings in the Royal area (buildings 69, 70, and 71) are all very convenient.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear dawen43,
I appreciate you good comments. I have to say that I like your friends who are cancelling their next stay in other Resort in Jamaica to visit us again. Definitely I will be pleased to invite them to have a coffee in their next visit hehe...
Thank you and you can be sure your review will help us to improve our services.

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We're a couple, mid 20's, spent 5 days at the Royal Suites. It was just fantastic. I'll get the negatives out first but plenty of good after:

Expect a long drive from cancun in the shuttle, thats really the low point in the trip and you're not even there yet. LOTS of speed bumps! It takes a day or two to get the feel for your surroundings, so definitely stay 4 or more days. And my only real complain is the buffet times. It was harder than I expected to find lunch between 11:30-1:00, since a few buffets opened at 1:30 which seems odd. Also, avoid room service food, its basically leftovers from that day. I probably should have ordered it before 11pm though.

The food everywhere was fantastic. If you skip out on the a la cartes, you're crazy. We did japanese, fish fillet on the beach front, and Brazilian. Highly recommend Brazilian, so good! Had we stayed longer, would have loved to tried out more. We did El Jardin the first night because it didnt need a reservation. It was good nothing too special (im not a lobster guy). Best part of El Jardin is the breakfast buffet each morning, no waiting and good food in close proximity. If you want a steak, I recommend El Portofino, El Dorodo, or Brazillian. Cocktails are all very good, a bit watered down, but ask for doubles or just keep drinking ;-)

Beach was great, soft, and plenty of chairs everywhere. Not many kids I was very happy about that. Several adult pools too. Snorkeling was good, but take a trip to Akumal to see the turtles too! And take an excursion for half a day. We swam with dolphins at Delphinous and it was very fun and reasonably priced!

Best parts of being 'Royal' are the shuttles that take you everywhere, cabanas, and advanced reservations. The rooms were great, and we finished the water, pop, & beer in the mini fridge daily.

Huge compliments to Alberto and Ubel for being FANTASTIC butlers on the trip. They did everything we asked and more, and exceeded are expectations on every level. Really felt like royalty.

Room Tip: Building 71 was great, near the lobby, and walking distance to everything nearby. Just take a shuttl...
Dear Xfactor7483,
Thank you for your review and the good comments about our staff and services.
Regarding the buffet times from 11.30am to 1pm we have different options:
Our main buffet Kabah opens for breakfast from 7am to 11am. At 1pm it opens for lunch till 3.30pm
Our buffet La Laguna opens from 10.45am to 11.45am serving continental breakfast and then opens at 12pm as lunch buffet till 4pm.
We also have our snack bar Punta Emilia that offers 24h service snacks.
We also have the same services in the Colonial and Kantenah side in where of course our Royal Suites customers have access.
I know it can be a little bit confusing but our Front Desks have all this information in case you need to find a place to eat.

dtor.whitesandriviera@fiestahotelgroup.com

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!