“You do get what you pay for...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“You do get what you pay for...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Interestingly, we did contact the Grand Palladium to ask for a quiet room in the Myan section of the Royal Suites Yucatan, as we had heard that the rooms by the road were noisy as golf carts streak by late into the evening. Imagine our surprise when we were placed in the room right next to the road...after much discussion with the front desk, they assured us we could move in a couple of days. Well to be honest, it was more to do with the outdoor shower, right next to the 3 story structure than anything else, so we took them up on their offer and moved. Both rooms were exceptional in nature, with excellent service throughout the resort. One suggestion, spent the extra money if you want to be spoiled, as we have stayed in this resort twice before and this is a real difference!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
cleveland, oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We returned sunday after spending 7 nights in the Royal Suites. Can not find a negative thing to say.

We used AGI instead of the big bus and arrived in less than an hour after leaving the airport. Once outside, we waited less than 5 min. for our private van. We landed at 10:15 and were in the lobby drinking at 11:45.

Check in was breeze and the staff was unbelievable. Aurora came out of her office to greet us and to let us know if we needed ANYTHING she and her staff were there for us. The room was awesome and we were surprised with a bottle of wine, and a cake. The room was spotless and was kept that way all week, including keeping the fridge full daily.

We did not have a bad meal all week. We tried as many places as we could but now have a reason to go back. Service was spot on. Never waited for a drink and we were not rushed. The food was wonderful.

A special thanks to the golf cart drivers. They took us where ever we wanted to go and would be there to pick us up within minutes when called. Service at the royal pool and beach was fantastic. What ever we wanted or needed was taken care of with a smile.

We only saw 5 shows but they were the best. Those kids work very hard putting them on and that is after working all day. Thankyou

I wish I could remember all the names of our new friends. They made us feel like family.

Thanks again for a wonderful vacation and we hope to see you all in the fall.

Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This was my third trip to the Riviera Maya and the first time at the Royal Suites Yucatan. The other two times I stayed at the Bahia Principe. The Royal Suites Yucatan was, hands down, the better of the two. Everything was so clean, the staff friendly and helpful. Filiberto makes a mean gin and tonic. The food was wonderful in the restaurants and buffets. I had a wonderful surprise one evening when I came back to my room after dinner, and there on the coffee table was a tray of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champaign. I was told the following day that the butler did it (hah). Just because.

There were only two incidents which I would rather forget. One was a very rude person at the checkout at the Colonial lobby. When I tried to exchange a $5.00 US for 5 $1.00s (for tips), he kept insisting that "this is Mexico and we only take Mexican pesos here". When I tried to tell him that the Transat rep had said I could exchange U.S. dollars, he said "this is reception and we have all the information here. We only take Mexican pesos." I went to the checkouts at the other lobbies and even the bars and had no problems at all in exchanging bills. The other incident was not the fault of the resort. Honestly, I don't know whose fault it was, but on my last day there when I was waiting for the bus to take me back to the airport it became apparant that my name wasn't on any passenger list. So I was hanging around the lobby for over an hour, slightly panicking because no one would take me on board if I wasn't on a passenger list. After several calls back and forth with Transat reps and the Royal suites and White Sands lobbies, I eventually got a ride to the airport and just barely made my flight.

But over all, I would definitely come back. Maybe try the Mayan Suites.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Saskatoon, SK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I decided that we would like to have a quiet and relaxing winter vacation. Normally we are a couple who likes to 'do' things -- this time we wanted rest and relaxation, sun and sand. We soon narrowed it down to the Mayan Riviera and went through all the options, finding the Royal Suites Yucatan with some help from our travel agent.

Honestly, this is the most luxurious and amazing vacations we have ever had. From the moment we arrived, the staff bent over backwards to make everything perfect. We had a Jr. Suite with a jacuzzi on the balcony which was perfect for us.

As an aside, we are a gay couple and we were just a tiny bit nervous about how our experience would be. While we saw few, if any, other gay couples not once did we ever feel welcomed or included in every sort of way by staff and guests alike.

First off, the 2 very minor 'bad' points:
- The in-room free wi-fi is extremely spotty. Bring your own router and hook it up to the corded network in your room if you want dependable wi-fi.
- Our TV had very bad reception and few English speaking channels -- but we weren't on vacation to watch TV so we didn't even bother to ask if something could be done

What are some of the best parts of the experience?

- The grounds are immaculate and beautiful which is amazing considering just how huge the overall resort is.
- The reserved area on the beach for the Royal guests with waiter bar service who would also surprise you with little snacks now and then such as fresh fruit bowls or sandwiches.
- El Jardin, the Royal Suites-only ala carte which offered amazing food including lobster at no-extra charge. To be fair, ALL the ala cartes were amazing with a truly international feel and scope for their international clientele. The buffets also were fresh, huge and could offer even the pickiest eater a multitude of choices.
- Room service in your room at no extra cost
- Golf-cart service -- if you're just too tired to go anywhere, one of the staff will be more than happy to take you where you want to go
- All the huge number of animals on the resort such as capybaras and coatis
- The "hidden" salt-water pool -- it's stunning
- DVD 'rentals' from the lobby -- borrow a different movie every night if you want and watch it on the DVD player in your room
- The all-inclusive area of the spa including an infinity pool and the enormous outdoor fountain jacuzzi -- wow!
- The sprawling area of the other 4 hotels grouped together (Kantenah, Colonial, White Sands, Riviera) gave you new things to explore and discover on a daily basis.

The biggest benefit though? Truly it is all the very hard-working staff who make it all look and seem so effortless. We actually went out of our way to thank a couple of the staff such as the Royal beach waitress for giving us such a wonderful stay.

We cannot understand the few overly negative reviews on TripAdvisor other than to think some people have such unreachably high standards that they can never be happy. This place is an absolute gem and don't hesitate to book it.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

It was the first time that me and my boyfriend were going to Mexico so we didn't know what to expect. The resort is at about 1h30 from the Cancun airport, a bit far but believe me it is worth it!!

The whole resort is really, really big! Take a map! It took us 2 days to get use to get around without getting lost! If you got a cell phone with a GPS on it, you can also use it by downloading the resort map...that's what we did :) We deceided to walk around the resort but if you prefer, you can take the train that's going from one lobby (except the Royal) to another, the golf cars or if it's between the Royal, Riviera and White Sand lobby and it's before 4pm (sometimes later), you can take the boat to go there.
Also, people working there are always very nice and smilling and even funny. I have nothing to say wrong about them, there're always doing everything to get you want you want even when it's a little bit difficult...like doing canoeing by yourself on the lake ;) Those who take a Maya Suite will be able to do it without problem. For those who have a room, well maybe it's gonna be a little bit harder to do canoeing but at least you got a jaccuzi on your balcony!
The whole resort is very clean and well taken care of. In the Royal section, they even come twice to your room to make sure everything is ok and that nothing is missing...they make sure your bar is full all the time!

The Royal Suites is part of a 5 hotels resort, is the one where there's no kids allowed, got a private pool, a really wonderful reserved area on the beach with beds and a restaurant "El Jardin" where you can eat lobster every night without reservation if you want...don't worrie, you still have acces to the other "a la carte" restaurant on the rest of the resort...for those you have to make your reservation at least before 1pm on the same day. We never had trouble to reserve for restaurant :) We tried the Japanese restaurant "Sumptuori", if you go, take "with show" because the cook gives really an amazing show and don't do like me, don't forget to BRING YOUR CAMERA!!! I have to admit that for the food it was not my favorite restaurant. Then we tried the Italian one "Portofino", my boyfriend took pasta and was not impress by it, I took the veal with mushroom and it was delicious!!! We also tried the Chinese one "Bamboo" and it was good, the decoration there is really nice! The steak house "El Dorado" was also really good, I had the "filet mignon" and it was perfect!! We went also to the "Ribs and more" and we like it but preferred the steak house. For the mexican one "La Adelita", we had an awesome time there, people who serve you are so funny!!! They made jokes all the time!! And the food was really good too! And for sure, we went to our restaurant "El Jardin" for all our breakfast and one dinner and we never complained about the food, always good and people are really nice too...you even get cats and raccoons (dinner) that came to see you for food, so cute!
You also have acces to the buffet restaurants (4 in total) and even there the food is good!! My boyfriend went to Cuba and Rep. Dom. and said that the food in Mexico is nothing to compare with the food of the other 2 because is the top!! Seriously we were eating too much all the time because we wanted to try everything!!!

For the beach, our section is a bit far but it's the best place and there is less people, what I liked. You get a bar very close to you but you don't even have to get up if you don't want because the Royal section have a waiter that comes to take your orders and offer you sandwiches :) And also, because you are "Royal", you can have a new towel anytime just by showing your "bracelet", so no worries at all about lost card and stuff like that!

And also there are shows every nights, one at the Colonial section and then one at the Riviera section. We watch a couple and find it moslty good. I don't know how the dancers do to remember all those different shows...but there're good!!!

So in conclusion, the whole resort is fantastic but being in the Royal section is even more because you get more ;) Seriously, we heard other people from other part of the resort and sometimes they had trouble to make a reservation for a restaurant, we never had. Some was not able to get beach/pool towels because there were no more cards, we never had that problem...small things like that...
It's was an amazing experience, a "must to do" and for sure I would recommand the Royal Suites anytime!!! I wish I would have stay longer, one week is not enough! We will go back there one day that's for sure!!! It was perfect from beginning to the end...the paradise on earth :D

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We had never travelled to mexico before this year and before even leaving canada we ran into a group of people that said they compare all of the trips they go on to the Palladium Royal Suites.
It was an overall incredibly awesome experience.
Not one day went by that was not a fantastic way to have a holiday.
Our trip was booked thru westjet vacations and they came thru in every way. Having a representative at the resort to be able to directly deal with any concerns or issues that may arrive to insure that your holiday is all that it is supposed to be was a great bonus. They deal with a travel group called Best Day Travel as the westjet counterparts in Mexico for all arrangements you would have in interest in arranging.(Tours,Getting into Playa Del Carmen or Cancun and of course to hit the bar scene)
Our rep from Best day was Fernando Calderon and what was nice was the fact that any tour that he endorsed he must have gone on to know what you are looking at getting into. Fernando was great,very informative and always willing to help you get what you are looking to pursue.
The main tour company that they deal with was a company named Go Natural. The guides we had were so very knowledgable and well educated on the history and local culture that the tours were interesting and went by way to quickly.(Thank you to Raymond,Juan and especially Gonzalo who was a literal encyclopedia of the history and limited writings of the mayan culture in both the past and present. Thank you Gonzalo.)
Now the hotel itself. We were amazed at how amazing the layout was from the locations of things to the cabana and how private it felt. The people were just fantastic to deal with in every way and were so warm and welcoming to us.( This is a sincere thank you to Israel,Filiberto(Fili),Damian and Alberto) Such friendly and warm hearted,they are the reason that our holiday at the resort was so great and enjoyable. They would always take the time and make us feel at home each and every single day. Thanks so much guys.
The housekeeping was at our cabana literally 4 times daily to see that all was ok with our room.Incredible.
The food was always good and fresh with many options to satisfy any want or craving. The restaurants always carried a great selection/variety of everything from fresh fruit and vegtables to a loaded variety of desserts. The seafood was always amazing and the option for lobster every night at no charge at the royal suites restaurant,(El Hardin) was always a pleaser.
The Palladium has strived to meet a level and standard of service that made our vacation very enjoyable and one place we will definitely be travelling back to for more.
About the only thing that we found a little bit lacking was the weight room/aerobic facility which had line ups prior to the doors being open in the morning and a real shortage of machines.(Treadmills,Free weights,Bikes and weight machines) Being that we are both very physically active people as part of our daily routine we found this to be the biggest downfall of a resort that is so amazing in all other aspects.

Room Tip: The cabana's facing south are almost desolate.The overall Royal suites is quiet due to it being...