“A Great all-inclusive in the Akumal area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium

You added The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Pocatello, Idaho
“A Great all-inclusive in the Akumal area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We had a wonderful time at the Grand Palladium complex in July, 2011. We stayed at the Royal Suites, which is an area that is technically its own (separate lobby, etc.), but in practical reality is located in the general area of the GP Riviera. The resort complex is large. With four separate lobby areas for each main resort area, along with the 5th Royal Suites area . NOTE that while this listing seems to be for Puerto Aventuras, the Palladium complex is much closer to Akumal, and in fact the reviews for the other 4 sections are located on the "Akumal" page.

Grounds are pleasant, and kind of closed-feeling, as the green mangrove surrounds many trails and roadways. It is hard to get large expansive views of the property, other than perhaps at the main pool areas. A great view of the main beach can be had at the salt water pool area – look back towards the resort from the flagpole. You can walk the grounds, or take the trams among the various components of the resort, the most useful of which is the lobby train (as it is a hike if you are over on the WS / Riv side and need to go to dinner at the Col / Kan side). Royal guests can call a private cart to take them wherever they want to go. There are many pools, both large and small, including adult pools, The spa also has a lovely pool and water feature area - There are plenty of free areas to use at the spa.

Our room was very nice – well-appointed, a warm shade of yellow. There was a Sony flat screen with a relatively large channel selection. In the royal Suites you also have the option to check out DVD’s at no charge. The fridge is stocked daily with your choices among sodas, beer (superior, sol, miller), and water. Their water is filtered and bottled I believe on or near premises. In the Royal Suites you also have four full bottles of liquor – though we did not use them – there’s plenty of free drinks down at the bar. Robes and slippers also come with the room. There is a large Jacuzzi out on the deck. Open bathroom concept: It’s not that big a deal really. The sink and vanity area is open to the room. The toilet and shower are each behind their own respective doors. The problem is more the “audibles”, as the door to the toilet offers only a visual separation from the main room – not an aural one. I guess it just seems like it takes up a lot of space with the vanity area.

The food was good to very good, particularly in the a la cartes. I did find there to be a difference in quality among the buffets: The Kabah is the main buffet for the WS / Riv side, and is larger and I thought better than its counterparts over on the C/K side (there are two smaller ones over there). Also, the main indoor buffets are significantly better than the nearby wet / dry pool buffets that serve the bathing suit crowd - Better selection of foods at better temperatures. If people complain about the food, I am sure it is these two main pool buffets that they are referring to. Though I grabbed a few bites at both of them, they were not my first choice and I only did so if I was damp from swimming, because the indoor buffets are right there and they are just better options IMHO. The a la cartes were good – some were excellent. We had great seafood rice skillets down at the beach place (Punta Emelia), some unique soup offerings, strong Mexican dishes, etc. Once or twice I would have liked the flavors to have been bolder. But on the other hand this place has a large selection of homemade salsas that change often, and they are all very bold and delicious. The Royal guests have access to the exclusive restaurant, El Jardin, and I must echo that yes, it is better than all the others, particularly in presentation and originality in preparing what looks on the menu to be basic dishes. BTW, they tend to use the word veal a lot here - though that seemed just a general word for beef most of the time as opposed to what I think of as veal which I grew up with. (I avoid it nowadays.) Beware: they garnish with beets here at El Jardin, which I personally detest.

There is good snorkeling on the Kantenah side out by the ropes, we saw a sea turtle here plus a ton of fish, and some shallow water snorkeling in front of the White Sand / Punta Emilia for more fish among the rocks. Note: Harder entry and exit here with all the shallow rocks – use water shoes rather than flippers. Save the fins for the Kantenah side.

Service was great – like my experience last year at the Iberostar, there are friendly and helpful employees everywhere you turn. Some are of course more pro-actively engaging than others, but overall we were pleased with the service. The staff works very hard.

I recommend that if you are looking for a nice AI in the Akumal area that you strongly consider the Grand Palladium complex. I can see why it has so many fans.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Resort, rooms, beach, pools, bars all great, but the food was aweful! I loved this place, but my wife and I are still recovering from the food. They try to make it over the top and miss out on good quality food. If you are looking for some good home cooking, not the place for you! I would love to return to this resort, but there is no other options on eating outside the resort. If you can survive on booze, then this is a place for you! I would give everything about this resort an excellent rating other than the food.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Wow lucky me for having friends in the Palladium Travel Club! We, they, and another couple all stayed in the Royal Suites Yukatan. We had a great time! Here are a few things that stood out in my mind:
- The Royal Suites treatment is really Royal! We were in Bldg. #69 right near the pool. The Royal Pool is adults only and has it's own pool bar with all the primo liquors, lots of chairs, beds, shade, unlimited towels - nice!
- No trains for us! Wherever we wanted to go we go "golfcarted" around.
- Loved the Royal Suite beach area. We spent a lot of time here - even in the rain. We had our own Palapa-roofed bed with lots of pillows, towels. Drinks and food are served to your palapa or the bar is a few steps away. The bartender, Tobias, is the best! Nice clean bathrooms are right there too.
- Royal Suites has their own restaurant "El Jardin" - menu or buffett. Their breakfast buffet is smaller than the other buffets but had more than enough to choose from (including omelet station). Dinner choices included lobster every night.
- The Royal lobby had it's own bar with primo liquors and my favorite fresh fruit Mango Margaritas that were out of this world! The lobby also has free Wi-Fi and 2 free computers to use. The pontoon boat also stops here to take you around to other areas.
- The rooms have big patios with a huge whirlpool tub and lounge chairs. We were on the second floor so our patio had curtains that could be closed for more privacy. You can request the tub to be filled for you at a certain time but we just filled it ourselves. Our friends had their's filled for 10 pm and when they went in it had rose petals and candles. Hint: get a couple extra pool towels to use if you're going in the tub.
- All the extra special services are too numerous to list. Some may have been because we were considered Travel Club members, such as a cold bottle of Champaign and chocolate covered strawberries and a fruit basket upon our arrival. The mini bar was stocked with full-sized bottles of tequila, vodka, rum and you could request any other kind of liquor you desire. Too much more to remember.... free trans to and from Cancun airport, room service, 20% off at the spa, $100 Palladium money, free excursion to Tulum......
- The employees could not have been nicer. We were truly impressed with all of them and tipped accordingly.
- We had the option (which we agreed to) to hear about joining the Travel Club. We declined but the other couple we were with did join. Lots of benefits, but just not for us at this time in our lives.
- So bottom line - we had a great time being pampered. This is not what we are accustomed to so it was a special treat. We could not have asked for more.

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Royal Suites Yukatan and the rest of the Grand Palladium Resorts get my 2 thumbs up all the way.....In fact were going back in April!!! The staff are fantastic...everyone from the bellhop to the bartenders....very hard workers, I have alot of respect for them and in fact, I fell in love with Mexico because of them! My only negative comment is that there were too many Europeans. Arrogant, Pushy and annoying! Especially the Spaniards who treated the staff like dirt and refused to tip them!!!
The Spaniards were the biggest A-holes and I grew to despize them very quickly.

Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

To start this review, I should tell you that I am a travel agent, and therefore, can tend to be rather. This was our first trip to mexico, and the only negative thing I can say about our stay, is that it had to come to an end.
The staff at the Royal Suites are nothing shy of amazing! (Nancy, you're awesome and Palladium is lucky to have such a great employee)They couldn't do enough for us and the rest of the guest.
The main lobby was very welcoming, and you can even do a little riverboat cruise around the Riviera complex, a nice added touch! The staff can book your a la cartes (and even have your jacuzzi ready for when you return) local tours etc.
I will say that the Royal Suites beach is at the other end of the beach, however, with the exclusive trolly, it was no problem getting there! Our favorite spot was the salt water pool located by the Rivera section , yet another great added value to this resort.
As for the food...amazing and lots of it! The snack bars at the beach are a la carte style and the service was always prompt, even at 2 am.
Oh, and the live entertainment, amazing, I coun't get over how talented the performers were, definatly the best we've seen down south.
We had a Royal Suite...beautiful, King bed, 2 balcanies(one with a nice big jacuzzi and privacy curtains)and premium liquors in our room, the mini bar was always stocked with our prefered drinks.
As far as the grounds go, they have to be THE most beautiful and well maintained of any property I have ever been to...ever! The Palladium complex is an ecological resort, the irrigation for the property is used from the waste water from sinks in the rooms. You can see wildlife anywhere, even pink flamingos!
FANTASTIC PROPERTY!

I can't do this review without mentioning the fact that when we were there, it was also
the same week that the princess resort had the explosion. A lot of the people that were supposed to stay there were moved to the Palladium , I got to witness the (what could have been) chaos as a result of all the extra people, but the staff handled it wonderfully and it didn't take long for them to get (literally) bus loads of people checked in.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011 via mobile

We upgraded in resort as our agent Thomson uk do not sell these rooms. We were on our honeymoon so decided to upgrade for our final 4 days. The rooms were a vast improvement from our junior suite in the kantenah section. The hot tub was an awesome addition. The mini bar with Havana rum, smirnoff vodka, premium beers and packets of peanuts was a welcomed addition as well as the widescreen LCD tv, iPod dock, and his and her bathroom.
The golf cart service was very useful, and the royal pool snack bar and premium drinks with the comfortable pool side beds was most welcomed.
We weren't over impressed with the el jardin royal restaurant as we preferred the variety of the other restaurants. The breakfast did not offer as much variety as the buffet restaurants.
The beach was miles away from the room and was the only low point. Free newspapers were available but the British available paper- 'the sun' was the only paper that wasn't and cost £2 in the shop. I thought this was a little cynical as all others
were free.
The site was awesome with a gorgeous beach, beautiful sea, plenty of beds, hammocks, many bars, restaurants and huge pools. There was lots of interesting wildlife running around and we will definateky return in the future.

• Stayed September 2010
Abington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Absolutely amazing i would definitely go back again some day. The food and service was amazing. I went with friends and family and stayed for 8 days 7 nights. I would highly recommend! Most mornings we went to the buffet in the Riviera because there was more of a selection. The beaches were gorgeous. The first three days it rained but it gave us time to hang out in the spa and relax for a bit. The golf carts were a huge plus. Room service (food) took around 45 mins to an hour to get. Two out of the 5 times we got it it was freezing cold. But other than that everything was amazing had an amazing trip. I suggest you bring lots of sun tan lotion and do activities. :) The ATVs, speed boats and para sailing was amazing. Worth spending the money on.

Room Tip: really good view on 3rd floor of 71 facing lobby