“Beach Massage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, | Zona Costera, km 256,3, Akumal 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 21 hotels in Akumal
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beach Massage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

If you go to Sirenis I would recommend having a massage in the beach hut with Carmen she was so good, I felt so relaxed after and all my muscles felt at ease, I had a full body massage and would usually feel uncomfortable having my legs massaged but this was amazing. Thank you. Also thanks to Darius front desk for sorting out our room and checking us in and out, very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

2,578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Polish first
Parry Sound, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I wasn't going to write yet another review, as I think most things have been covered. One thing I had trouble finding information about though was the difference between the Riviera side and the Mayan Beach side, as well as what (if any) benefits there were to the Air Transat "Le Mirage" package, so I thought I would share my observations.
During our bus trip from the airport to the hotel, someone asked our guide what the difference between the two resorts was. He told them that one side is adults only, one side is for families. This is not true! Both sides have families, there were families at all pools, etc. There did not appear to be any areas that were designated as adults-only (topless sunbathing was allowed on the beach though, but not by the pools). On a side note about the shuttle to the hotel - again, we were Air Transat, so don't know if other companies are different, but we bought 4 beer from a vendor as we were getting on our bus - cost over $20. They sold beer & water & maybe pop on the bus for $1 each...
We had specifically requested 3 things as far as our rooms went (we were two couples) - 2 rooms with King Beds, near each other and in buildings 28 or 29. It was my understanding that the Le Mirage rooms were a small selection of some of the "nicer" rooms (well-placed), or were in certain buildings. The entire Mayan Beach side is for the "Distinction" or "Le Mirage" package, so you could be put anywhere. We were put in building 21, first floor. We were given rooms side by side, which was great, but one room had a King Bed, one had 2 Doubles. Without asking what our priorities were with our requests, the girl at check in tried to change our friends to a room with a King bed, but that entailed them moving to a different building. They were ok with the 2 double beds, in order to keep our rooms close together, so she put them back in the room they were originally assigned. We were a bit disappointed not to get our building request, but were told we could check back the next day & see if we could move. Once in our rooms, we decided to just stay-put. These rooms were very close to the pool and not a far walk to the main lobby/buffet and beach. We were never in them for long enough to worry about it too much.
The Le Mirage package included use of the safe for the week, as well as a bottle of Tequila. I can't recall if all rooms got bathrobes, but we did have bathrobes as well. Wifi was not included - well, except for 15 minutes, and I think you had to use it in the main lobby.
If I were to return to this resort, I would be ok with getting rooms in either the Riviera or Mayan Beach side - not enough of a difference to warrant paying more for the Le Mirage side. I think I would actually prefer the Riviera side - we enjoyed that pool a little bit more, and it seemed a little more lush and tropical around the rooms. As it turned out, the Le Mirage package was the only one available when we booked, so we just took what we could get.
One other note - DO NOT forget your towels or your towel cards when you are checking out. It is not enough to say you left them in the room, they WILL make you go back and get them! We waited on our bus back to the airport for 20 minutes for someone who forgot theirs in their room to go and get them and get them back to the front desk at check out, and ended up leaving without them!
Oh - and didn't touch a peso all week, used US and my credit card...
Happy to answer any questions!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This resort was incredible! Incredible service, great food, great staff and a beautiful landscape. The rooms are a little dated but very clean and the buffet is great. I loved the theme nights at the resort and Samuel is the BEST bartender at the resort (main lobby) by far! Will definitely be coming back :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The grounds and landscaping are excellent - very lush and beautiful. Lots of birds and critters. Fantastic sheltered beach area with good snorkeling complete with reef, lots of fish and sea turtles are commonly seen at the beach to the far left.

We are average travelers in our 40's with 2 teenagers. My wife and I are early to bed early to rise. -We do not drinking much alcohol, however, we do enjoy a couple of drinks throughout the day and at night after dinner when on holiday south. And I enjoy a few cold beers on those beautiful hot days. I really like this resort - but the on tap beer is disgusting. It has played havoc with my system in the past, and after one sniff of it this year, I would not drink it. Not good having 7 days in the heat and can't have a cold beer. In fact this is completely unacceptable for a guest paying good money for their week in the sun. They have to get a variety of canned or bottled beer to offer guests - preferably some international beer, or at least Mexican brands - my conversations with most all other people travelling at other resorts is that there is a reasonable variety of canned beers i.e. Heineken, Corona, Bud available to guests. There are some bottles in the mini fridge in room - but it is not good beer - 3.5% alcohol and not good. I know others feel the same as we saw Canadians on the beach with their beach coolers and Molson Canadian beer they brought with them. The variety of mixed drinks is good - but boy do they splash the alcohol in and out of that glass fast - again this is not acceptable. We are mature adults looking to enjoy just a few quality drinks during the day, and this has to be rectified - or we will not return here for a 4th visit, which is too bad.

Beds in rooms are not good - very hard - but we could tolerate for a week because by the time your back got sore - we were ready to get up and out anyway.

Food is just fine. Yes - there is a fair bit of walking to get around but this is good for us as we want to be active and get some daily exercise.

Overall, we have always really enjoyed Grand Sirenis but I will not be going back if I can't expect to have a cold beer or two that is reasonable for consumption. Poor management decision when a 3 time guest/ family of 4 not likely to return because of this.

Carstairs, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Just returned after a two vacation at the Sirenis (March 9 - 23). Beach and lazy river are awesome. This resort is in desperate state of repair. Lots of mildew and black mold. Room is OK furniture getting old, dirty and tired. AC smelled of mildew and bedding had a mold smell. They seem to be under staffed, but the ones they do have are very hard working and friendly. Seem to sit for quite a while most meals before you are offered coffee etc.Pools were kept clean. Some areas of the resort smell of sewer. Spa was amazing! Nice resort for families.

Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We just returned from the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach and can't wait to head back. We stayed a week and had a wonderful trip in all respects. Check in was quick and painless, the bell boys transferred us and our luggage quickly and efficiently to our room. I had requested a second floor room with 2 double beds and frosted glass in the "hole in the wall" and was accommodated with all requests. We were in Building 20 and were very close to everything. Ignore the naysayers who say everything is too far to walk or that there are no shuttles. Lots of shuttles and nothing was more than 5 minutes from our building. The beds were firm but comfortable, the bathroom was spacious and well appointed. The frosted glass was enough for privacy especially between my 14 year old and her dad.
Our concierge, Luigi, was helpful and we booked all 3 al a cartes on our first night. The Mediterranean was OK, the Brazilian was great and the Japanese was amazing. I mentioned a food allergy in the first al a carte and they approached me in the third to assure me that I was safe in ordering.
The coffee shop was a stop over a few times a day and all of the drinks were great. Auriele is a sweet girl and it is a nice place to sit before and after dinner.
The beach bars are fun and while I don't remember our servers name (maybe too good of service) she was super and we tried to be in her section to see her smiling face.
The buffets are big and varied enough to allow for different selections each visit. If you miss the main ones, the al a cartes by the pools are buffets during the other hours as well.
The lobby bars are good too and there is always a nice refreshing breeze to cool you down.
The entertainment is not Broadway quality but fun. The audience participation portions are worth going for.
The lazy river is great fun for old and young so don't miss it. Fast enough to float without a tube.
The beach is great and the reef in the bay is so worth snorkelling around. The sea life is wonderful and there at all hours. Lots of palapas, we never needed to do the towel thing though others did. Personally, I find this rude and should be stopped everywhere.
Transfers to excursions, taxis and airport buses are all dealt with quickly and efficiently.
Honestly, the only thing we didn't enjoy was some of the other tourists who were rude to staff and felt the need to act like spoiled brats.
Overall, a great trip and we will be back!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We spent 14 days at this resort. We were very impressed by the property, beach and accommodations. The rooms and public spaces are immaculate at all times. The staff are all very friendly and ready to assist in anyway to make your stay comfortable. We did find the food quality on the buffets a bit low at times. I really wished they had individual bottled water in the mini bar. The restaurants are okay, best ones are the Japanese, Brazilian Steakhouse and French. We would have like to have an option to do restaurants for all our dinners. The Premium Club membership program was pushed from day one. Be prepared to be asked to join and if your are not interested stand firm and do not waste your time.

Stayed March 2014

Been to Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!