“Fantastic honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Scotland
“Fantastic honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

We went for our honeymoon to this resort and are already planning to go back for our anniversary. This resort was fantastic, the service was excellent as was the food. The choice of food was amazing as you can book into any of the 7 restaurants, we had one night in the buffet and then the next in a restaurant. The staff were very friendly, always smiling and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms were very big and very clean, they were cleaned every day with fresh towels and your fridge stocked up. The pools were amazing, we spent alot of time at the games pool, which had the swim up bar and also waitress service if you wanted a drink to your sun lounger!! The lazy river was great and was never too busy, it was nice to go and relax. The beach was very nice and clean. Plenty of places to get drinks and something to eat. The entertainment during the day and at night was very good. We met nice people and plenty of bars to have a drink at. Our rep was always to hand if we had any questions. The only thing was the midges were awful and the spray I took over didnt work, the people who work in the shop do not have good english so it was hard to get stuff. The shop isn't very good and found it very expensive, even for a paper!! We cannot recommend this hotel enough, we had a lovely honeymoon here, we were treated with champagne to our room the night we arrived, breakfast the following morning to our room and then fresh fruit basket, tekilla and bath lotions as well. We also got a free dine at the french restaurant which normally has a charge. We will definetely be going back next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,429)
  • Polish first
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My friend and I arrived home from the Grand Sirenis just two days ago and I have missed it immensely since. I would recommend this resort in an instant. It was my first real trip to Mexico and do not think I could have had a better time. Our stay at the GS had a huge part in that!
The resort, as a whole, was absolutely fantastic in almost every way. There can always be found some things to complain about, and it does depend on one's personal taste, but overall I was greatly impressed by this place.
If I had to complain, there would be only a few things: our shower drain seemed to be clogged and it took several days and requests to have this fixed. It is also a bit of a walk to get to places around the resort, but I don't necessarily think this is a horrible thing. The resort is a beautiful place (and I definitely needed the walking with all the eating I did at the fabulous buffets!!), but it could be an issue for older guests or those with physical disabilities. We also had one slightly negative experience with the bar service but every other time it was impeccable. The other minor issue was the window between the bathroom and the rest of the room. I had heard about this issue before arriving, so we asked for a room with frosted glass immediately upon arrival. There was still a bit of space around the window into the room, which was a bit uncomfortable, but my friend and I just agreed to "not look" in the general area when using the bathroom. This might be an issue for others going with anyone other than their spouse. It could be awkward for friends or families traveling together. The last point could be considered a negative, although it also goes along with the positive. The resort is HUGE. We got lost several times on our first few days, but that is because there is so much there! We feel like we mastered the place enough a few days into it to find our way around.
Those slight negatives could in no way compare to the fantastic service we enjoyed the rest of the time. The architecture is unique and beautiful. It reminded me of some of the Mayan architecture in the area and I enjoyed it immensely. The resort is always clean and luxurious. The food was exquisite and delicious. I only got the opportunity to dine in one of the restaurants (the El Rancho) while we were there - and it was wonderful. I enjoyed ALL of the buffets JUST as much. The service was always out of this world. Most of the waiters are friendly and extremely quick to help and serve you. There is plenty of selection in the food (more than I knew what to do with!) and it was a treat experiencing it all. I have never eaten so well.
The room was large, decorated wonderfully and a delight to stay in. Like everything else there, the accommodations made us feel very upscale.
The beach was an absolute joy. There is so much of it to explore and enjoy. We visited in the low season and found a huge majority of the beach property to be empty! We enjoyed walking it by ourselves. The main beach is a beautiful cove-like area with fish near the shore and interesting rock formations to look at it. It can be a bit rocky, so be careful when walking or even consider bringing water shoes. The water is clear, colorful and warm and I miss it like crazy!
There are snacks and drinks wherever you turn, even at the beach. You cannot go hungry there!
The pools were refreshing and the "Lazy River" was a huge favorite. I went several times during my stay.
The nightly entertainment was highly impressive. We went to a show every time we could. The dancers are professionally talented and we had many good laughs during the audience participation segments of the shows.
By far my favorite part of my time at the GS was the unbelievable staff. With a few exceptions (like there will always be), the staff was efficient and incredibly friendly. I feel like I made many new friends there. We were treated like royalty and had the best of time talking with the bellboys, waiters, bartenders, entertainment staff etc. Even though some spoke with limited English it was a wonderful time each time we spoke with someone. I could not say more about how wonderful they were. It was honestly hard to leave them when it was time to go home!
I have just returned and am thinking of ways to get myself back there as soon as possible. I highly recommend the Grand Sirenis to anyone interested in a trip to the Mayan Riviera. There are also many amazing places to visit in the area and we enjoyed doing so. It was equally as wonderful to return each day to the Grand Sirenis. An absolutely FANTASTIC time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Reno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

5 star beach, 4 star rooms, 3 star grounds and food. Only problem we had was that our package was supposed to include a lobster dinner. I even had it in writing and they still would not honor it, they said it was $70 extra per person.

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel during the last week of August, two parents and 3 children.

Although the trip from the airport to the hotel was very long (1.5 hours) the distance was worth the wait. The hotel was only 50% occupied due to school was starting the next week and some left-over fears of H1N1.

After a 12-hour trip we were greeted with champagne! What a nice touch!

We had an excellent room with an ocean view. The staff was extremely friendly, especially Marco, who heads up the kids club. The kids loved him! The kids also loved the beach and the Lazy River.

We never went to the themed restaurants because our kids are too impatient to sit down longer than it takes at a buffet, so we ate at the buffet or beach bbq the entire week. The food was always good although the themed nights (England, Chinese) brought in some interesting dishes to say the least!

We were blessed with 7 days of sunshine, it only rained one evening and one night.

The night shows were great and the dancers were really entertaining

The complex itself is extremely large but if you tire of walking between the beach and your room, there are always large golf carts to whisk you to your destination.

The room was nice and the beds were comfortable.

We went snorkeling - amazing what kind of fish and sea creatures we saw, just two dozen feet from the edge of the beach.

We had so much fun, we didn't bother with any excursions.

We would definitely book at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

My girlfriend and I (in our early.mid 20's) travelled to the Grand Sirenis with Thomas Cook for 2 weeks. As soon as we arrived at the hotel the service was 5 star. We were greated with Champagne and a cold face towel, which was much appreciated after a 10 hour flight., with a traditional Mexico band playing in the lobby. When we booked we asked for a king size bed, but at check in we had been given a room with 2 doubles. We asked to have this change and 10 mins later they had a new room for us looking out into the gardens. The hotel itself is quite modern looking, with a grand entrance. The main pool was a little busy for our liking, as this had a swim up bar, but the activities pool was much quiter, and had a juice smoothie bar nearby, which tasted gorgeous. The sister hotel also had a pool, which was available for use, this also had a swim up bar. The lazy river was great - grab a cocktail and relax for 15 minutes. The a la carte restuarants were a little hit and miss, but this was not a problem because the buffet had lots of choice and the food was always good. The Japanese and Brazilian were our favourites, and the fillet steak in the steak house was also very good. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

My wife and I have just returned from 2 weeks at the Sirenis and had an excellent holiday.
It was better than expected and would definately return.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

My husband and I came for a late honeymoon. It was our first time in Mexico so we didn't really know what to expect. We ended up loving this Resort! Check in was a breeze and the staff was very helpful. Our concierge was very informative and gave us tips on places to go outside of the resort. The room was spacious and very clean. The hole in the wall to the bathroom was just as everyone explained in the other reviews...I hope your comfortable enough with your significant other!

The Resort
It's very large, your first few hours could be spent exploring. Great for exercise. The cafe was awesome, I loved the coffee in Mexico. The lobby bar staff was great! They had great senses of humor. They memorized our drinks and we were never without a drink throughout the night. We tipped well. We always felt safe and never had any problems with things going missing from our rooms. Our room was always cleaned and well stocked with beer. Definately always tip the bartenders and the waitresses and the cleaning staff. We always wrote a note to the cleaning staff asking to stock more beer in the fridge with a few dollars for a tip.

The Beach & Pool
Get up at 6:00-6:30 to put your towels down on a lounger at the beach or pool as we missed out on good beach spots our first two days there. We even put our snorkel gear down so that we wouldn't get our chairs mixed up with someone else. We saw a few people arguing over who's towels/chairs were who's. Snorkeling was awesome. It was my first time and we were lucky to have great weather every day so we were able to snorkel everyday. Bring your water shoes, it's a rocky beach. The pools are very big and the lazy river is fun. It's hard to get in the tubes when you have been on the beach all day enjoying many pina coladas and cervasas so take this as a warning. It makes for a lot of laughs.

The Food
We found that the buffet always had a great selection of food. There was something for everyone. Theme nights were the best. When booking your a-la-cart restaurants ask what/when the theme nights are in the main buffet. That way you won't book the Italian restaurant on the Buffet Italian theme night. We had lunch at the Beach bar or the El Rancho buffet. Every day at Lunch they had bbq's on the beach with music playing on loud speakers. Fell in love with the fresh salsa and guac!

Resort Entertainment
The staff work hard to keep you entertained! We took part most nights. Everynight there was something going on. They even had vendors come in to sell jewelry, art, masks, ceramics, blankets etc. twice a week. You don't have to leave the resort to do shopping if you don't want to! Easy to barder too.

We met so many nice people here, and yes they were mostly Canadian! I don't know why but there were a lot of Canadians at this resort. Even the staff made jokes about that.

Great resort for couples & families. Not the best place for singles or college kids.
We loved our stay here and have recommended it to our friends and family and would love to go back again one day!

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!