“Very Relaxing Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Clara City, MN
“Very Relaxing Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

We took our honeymoon to the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort. We absolutely loved the resort. It is large enough that you don't feel like you're crowded even when there are a lot of people there.

Book your restaurants right away when you get there. We ate at 9:00 every night and it was nice because a couple of nights we had the restaurant all to ourselves. The can't miss restaurant is the Japanese restaurant. The rest were good, but not great. You can tell that everything is cooked in corn oil. It all has that corn taste to it. We thought the food was good, just not great.

Our tip for this resort***** Bring your own beach towel. If you don't turn the resort's towel card (they give you a card that can be exchanged for a towel and vise versa) in at the end of your stay you will be charged $40. Bring your own and just leave the towel card in the safe in your room. Someone stole one of our towels off of our beach chair so we had to pay for one of them.

The grounds are large, but we found the walking around very nice, and like I said earlier it made it feel like there were very few people there.

The pools were very nice. The swim up bars are fun and the service is good. We spent most of our pool time in the "quiet" pool (the one without a pool bar.) Because it was the pool with the least people in it. The lazy river is nice too.

The poolside/ocean side snack bars are nice too. My favorite was the one by the beach. I loved the fajitas that were there at lunchtime every day.

The ice cream cafe is nice on a hot day. And the coffee bar is nice after the evening meal.

The room was nice and big, and since we were on our honeymoon we had an oceanview room and a basket of fruit and champaign and tequilla on arrival. The rooms were clean and we didn't have a problem with the a/c at all. We thought the bed was comfortable.

Overall, we had a great relaxing time and couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,913)
  • Polish first
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

We booked our vacation as a last minute deal. After reading all the reviews we thought that there was more good than bad and decided to take a chance on the Grand. We have stayed a many AI's and have never found one that had it all together yet. The Grand came as close as it gets for us. The place is beautiful, the food was very good by our standards (my wife is Italian and so we really appreciate a good meal). The Spa and Gym was fantastic, you should go for a personal tour even if you don't use it. They have a separate restaurant that you use if buy a service at the spa that is really great, a personal chef on duty to cook your choice of meat and side vegies (no booze served here though). Overall the hotel is big, clean with friendly staff. Only down side for us was the rocky bottom in the water and the stupid hole in the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom. If you need privacy to go the toilet, then is not the place for you. It was also a long bus ride from the airport, approx 2 hours with a couple of other hotel stops along the way, but it wouldn't stop us from going there again. This is the first place that has impressed us enough to write a review and we only go to 5 star places that are in the under $2500 pp range.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Bathroom and Rocky Beach
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

This was my first time at a resort in Quanta Roo (Honestly it was my first time staying in Mexico) and for someone going there for a first time, it was much more then I expected. I had read a few of the bad reviews on this site, but they didn’t really worry me that much. I have to say this has been the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed at. Okay, to tell the truth I have never been to an all inclusive resort before either. When I first got my jaw dropped at how amazing it looked from the outside (and I hadn’t even been able to explore the rest of the hotel). Coming from -14C weather it was a change, but I loved it. The hotel is huge, I’ll give you that much, but people in this world is getting too lazy if you can’t walk around the place. It’s not that big okay, it’s easy to get around the whole perimeter in just one hour. Anyways on with the review:

Service: We got checked in actually fairly fast, for the amount of people who were coming off the bus with us. It wasn’t right away, but I didn’t mind waiting to get a clean room, we were there too early anyways and got out room well before we were supposed to. All the people there were extremely friendly, especially compared to back home here. They were hard working and overall kept the resort very clean. Again, for a huge resort it would take a lot of work to keep it up to standards. Our room was always clean when we got back from the beach and I think the employees did an amazing job. I wouldn’t give a single complaint about them.

Rooms: I fell in love with that tub the moment I stepped in the room. I had a bath easily every single night. We stayed in the block closest to the steakhouse pool, so it was easy to access the buffet in the morning. Yes the room had a slightly musty smell, but no it does not stick to your clothing and after a while you get used to it. (Me…I enjoy that smell for some strange reason but I’m sure you won’t be grotesque by the aroma. It’s not as bad as some of the reviews say). The cleanliness of the room was hard to beat too, due to the fact it was cleaned every morning. Beds were comfortable and I enjoyed having the TV in the room. Overall I would give the rooms 5 stars, as well as the hotel so far.

Food: I probably am one of the pickiest eaters you will ever meet, and I ate pretty much everything. It all tasted good to me, yes I might be biased because I have never stayed at one of these hotels before but it easily matched up to the restaurants at home. A la Cart was amazing, dressing up for them was fun to. We were privileged enough to get into 5, Steak House twice, Japanese, Mexican and Italian. Japanese was by far the most fun, interactive with the food cooked right in front of your face. Steakhouse had amazing fish according to my Dad and I would say the seasoning on my Ribs was exquisite as well. You can’t beat the Mexican restaurant, which also had amazingly seasoned meat in the tacos. Finally the Italian restaurant had large servings, but none the less it was amazing as well. People said you could get board of the Buffet but I didn’t find myself swayed into that belief. I had something new to eat everyday and again it was all amazing. Breakfast by far was the best at the Buffet and I highly recommend if you go there to try the Orange Juice. It tasted as though it was freshly squeezed right on the location. We ate at the beach buffet most of the time for lunch and I would recommend getting the chicken wings, or nachos. I cannot say how much I enjoy the drinks, I am not old enough to enjoy the full variety of choices, but for people under the age of 18 there’s more then enough to choose from.

Beach/Pools: As for the Beach, the beach chairs made a nice touch. We made sure to grab a pare everyday and they were really good for tanning on. You didn’t get boiling hot due to the wind, but it wasn’t freezing either. For me I found this the perfect temperature. Snorkelling off the beach was quite exciting, there are many fish to see, and one day I saw one that was bigger then myself. Kinda scary but once I noticed that the fish was probably more scared of me I got more comfortable. Beach bar had excellent service including the fact of how many people there were to get around to on the beach, loved the Lemon Daiquiris. As for the pools they were always clean, never was there a day when I stepped into one and found it unappealing. The swim up bars were also very fun for doing something like that for the first time. Service there was excellent as well. Make sure you go on the Lazy River in the morning when all the small kids aren’t splashing around in it, it can be very relaxing just laying there on the tube, or you can decide to swim through it. Both ways, its very fun and a nice touch.

Shows: I attended two of these because the days were tiring and I decided to go to bed early most of the days. I say the Broadway show and the Lion king and both had amazing actors, singers and dancers. Usually I am not into this sort of thing, but I ended up enjoying them. They were fun and you should make sure to check one out before the end of the trip.

Overall I would highly recommend this to anyone interested. The floors aren’t slippery as people say. I went there expecting slick floors which were impossible to walk on, and no, didn’t get that. My side walk is easily double as slippery in the winter, so don’t worry about whatever people say. If it rains, you can get picked up and driven places in the Golf Carts which I found amazing. I wasn’t too keen on getting wet the last night when it was raining so this was just perfect. Food was amazing too, though again I am easily impressed by this sort of thing. Go ahead and read some of the poor reviews, yes I may be swayed with my easily impressed little mind but overall I would say most of the people there had enjoyed it the same amount as me. The only thing I disliked about the whole trip was coming home.

• Liked — Pretty much everything
  • Disliked — Leaving
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

I have a little bit of a bitter taste in my mouth from my checkout experience but I will not let that sway my review - only let you learn from my mistake!!

We have been to multiple resorts in Mexico and love the Riviera Maya for the snorkelling off shore and the true sense of never having to leave your resort - they are always a destination within themselves in this area!

The Grand Sirenis was no exception and they had ammenities that others we had visitted lacked.... the ice cream parlor, coffee house, and smoothie stand pop into mind immediately.

We travelled with an 18 year old and an 18 month old. I must say- the kids club seemed really good. My lil baby loved joining the mini disco abnd dancing with the kids on stage! The lazy river was also a hit for all. Snorkelling is great - especially to the far north of the ruin. We also thought the beach was perfect size, soft, and clean. Plenty of room in our suite for the 4 of us!

The food was good compared to other resorts... the buffet was not to die for but its always going to be hit or miss when feeding a thousand people! We ate at the cajun, brazilian, and steakhouse a la carts. The Brazilian was really cool and a unique experience! Go if you are a meatlover! The steakhouse was also quite good! We weren't impressed with the Cajun - but it was good for a mexican resort. We also had a free steak dinner on the beach thrown for Apple Vacations Travelers... this was excellent! I had never had good steak in Mexico before this trip and we had it 4 nites at Sirenis! Finally- we also booked a lobster dinner on the beach - AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!! (Pun intended)

I am not sure of the 5 golden apple rating it recieved... the sheer size often means you have to give a lil on service... these people do work HARD!

FINALLY-Our concierge sold me on the lobster dinner on the beach for $10 per person American.. we don't even care for lobster but I thought it would be an experience away from the buffet on a thursday night... We went to check out and the bill was 3000. pesos... or $100 PER PERSON!!! I freaked out - the meal wasn't any better than the other dinners we had for no additional cost so we never suspected a misunderstanding. I never heard of a 100 dollar lobstertail anywhere?!! The checkout person would not allow our luggage released or our taxi to leave unless I signed mycredit card slip.

• Liked — A LA CART RESTAURANTS & NATURAL BEACH
  • Disliked — LARGE SIZE/ NUMBER OF PEOPLE & 100 DOLLAR LOBSTER DINNER!
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

Hello all...

Just got back from the Grand Sirenis. We (7 in all) were there from Jan 3rd to Jan 10th! Overall this was a great vacation.

Pro's

Rooms were great- period.
Staff is very friendly and extremely hard working (tip them, they deserve it).
Weather was perfect...28-29 everyday.
Grounds are beautiful..
Snorkeling was fun
Ate at Restaurants every night..(my brother in law was crowned "MR. MEXICO", that helped!! Ha Ha
I suggest you get involved in the activities, it is what made this holiday memorable and hilarious.
Pools are fantastic

Con's

Too far from airport (2hours)
Food was not consistant (example Salsa- one day it was great, next day it was soooo spicy I thought my eyes would fall out of my head...I learnt my lesson quickly ;)
Bathrooms-----ok, this was scary. I swear I got locked in twice. The door handles get jammed and you just can not get out. First time I had to crawl under the door to get out and the second time I was let out by someone else that happen to be there at the right time!
Food...was never really HOT. Japanese restaurant was my favorite because they cook it right in front of you so it WAS hot.
Last...for all you folks heading there...on the Friday before we left the staff discovered an Aligator on tbeach at around 4pm...they claimed they caught it at around 12:30am...I must say I was a little sceptical about this on Saturday morning when I went down to the beach to see the RED FLAGS out (which means water is dangerous). Needless to say word got out and no one went in the water. He was right around where we went snorkeling everyday. I am glad this did not happen on day 1 of our trip. Good luck to those of you headed that way!

All in all I would reccommend this Hotel to families, my 2 neices
5and 8 had a great time (especially with the staff).

• Liked — The rooms were great...
  • Disliked — food was not hot
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

The most important thing that I learned after reading reviews on this site is that some people really have expectations out of this world and are unlikely to ever be pleased!

We stayed for 1 week at the Grand Sirenis with our 2 daughters (13 and 15) and had an absolutely wonderful time. We made a room request through Selloff Vacations and were very pleased to have a room in the building we requested.

The room itself was great for the 4 of us and had frosted glass between the bathroom and the main area. This is one of the few resorts would allow us to have our children in our room at their age so that was a bonus. The beds were fine for us - slept well every night.

We never experienced any of the problems that some of the others have complained about - there was no power loss, no theft, no mould, etc. The housekeeping staff cleaned daily whether we left a tip or not and we always had adequate towels and toilet paper. We asked our concierge for extra pillows and wake-up calls and received both promptly.

We knew in advance to be careful with our towels and to book our a la carte dinners right away. We ate at the following and recommend trying certain foods at each:

Italian - great Minestone soup/grilled veggies at the antipasto bar
Mexican - awesome spicy poblano chilli soup
Steakhouse - filet mignon and grilled grouper were great (try the chilli beans at the appetizer buffet too) as well as the vanilla pudding dessert
Japanese - spring rolls and anything Tapanyaki - just as good as in Toronto

The drinks were very tasty at any of the bars throughout the resort. The beach bar was our favorite place to have lunch - try the chicken wings, nacho chips and fajitas. It is a busy spot but you can eat right on the beach in a bit of shade and enjoy the view.

Other favorites for us: the lazy river (very clean); the coffee bar (try the flavoured lattes and cappucinos); the pool bar late in the afternoon and the shows at the theatre

We also went on the Coba Mayan Adventure tour which was a full day off of the resort in which we zip-lined across the jungle, rappelled into the cenotes, visited a Mayan village and climbed the ruins at Coba - well worth the money for the experience!

Finally - the staff that we encountered at the Grand Sirenis were always friendly and helpful - certainly better than we receive in most places in Canada. We would happily return to this resort again! None of us experienced any sickness and we ate and drank everything while we were there.

• Liked — Beach/Snorkelling/Staff
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Caledon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

My Husband and I returned from The Grand Sirenis Jan 5 after a lovely 1 week holiday.We had booked the vacation with Transat and always take the Club seats that they offer. It starts the holiday on a great note as soon as you get on the aircraft. We rented a car which we picked up at the Cancun airport and therefore our ride was much quicker than taking the bus transport. The Hotel is very large indeed and there is a LOT of walking to get anywhere.As other reviewers have stated, it is probably a good thing because we ate so much good food that we surely gained 10 lbs. The room we had was huge and did have the opening between the washroom and the rest of the place but we thought it was charming. We did have an ocean view but it was a long walk to the beach.The snorkeling was the draw for me to this Hotel and it was fair. I preferred to go to Yal-Ku for the best snorkeling. We enjoyed the lazy river and the shows at night and all of the restaurants. The food was very good in the buffet as well. The gala on New Years Eve was spectacular.The weather was perfect. The staff were very friendly.All in all we had a relaxing very enjoyable time.

• Liked — the size of the room and the shower
  • Disliked — there was a musty smell at first
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!