“Second trip to Grand Sirenis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Victoria, Canada
“Second trip to Grand Sirenis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Another great vacation at the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach. We have been to Mexico numerous times with this being our 4th time on the Riviera Mayan and second time at this resort.

I travel with my 85 year old mother and we really enjoyed this resort again.

We had requested a top level room as a sea view was very important to us. When we checked in we were offered a 2nd floor room in building 24 or 25 – no sea view and quite a walk to the beach. The view was important for us as we really enjoy sitting on the balcony especially watching the sunrise. We decided to pay for the upgrade (approximately $20/day per person) and got a 3rd floor (top floor) room 2972 at the end of the building. It was a perfect location for us as it was the closest to the beach on the Mayan Beach side and only had one neighbor beside us. It really cut down on the walking to the beach which was important to my Mom and was very quiet. Room was also provided good access to all other areas of the resort. Just be prepared to walk a little or wait for a cart to give you a ride.

Two of the consierge’s were amazing. Many thanks to Trini and Alberto who managed to book restaurants and spa treatments for us. We really enjoyed the hydra treatment at the spa.

Restaurants were all very good. We went to the Mexican, Cajun, Brazilian, Japanese and Steak house. We really enjoyed each one with the Cajun being our least favorite and Japanese and Brazilian being our favourite. Make sure you make your restaurant reservations as soon as you arrive and keep checking back to ensure you get the reservations you want. We ate at restaurants as often as possible as we preferred that over the buffet.

We are beach people so we would spend all day at the beach. Our favorite time was early in the morning before it got too busy. We didn’t even bother going for breakfast. Instead we would get our coffee and muffin or pastry from the coffee shop (thank you to the amazing coffee shop staff) and enjoy it on the beach. I would recommend taking beach shoes as there are a number of rocks on the beach and in the water. We have had better beaches at other resorts but it is still a beautiful beach. Beach service was just awesome with Guadaloupe providing just awesome service. She always remembered our drinks, worked so hard and was just an lovely person.

We knew what to expect this time with the rooms and took our own pillows. This meant a much more comfortable stay as the hotel’s pillows are very flat and hard. The other reviews have covered other aspects to the rooms and facilities.

We look forward to our next trip to the Grand Sirenis and would be happy to answer any questions.

Room Tip: Building 29 is closest to the beach on the Mayan Beach side. Recommend the 3rd floor to get an ocea...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,036)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Loved this resort - probably the nicest I've ever been to. We were there for a week & loved it!

It is spread out so be prepared to walk (good if you ate too much at the awesome buffet haha!)

3 great pools, lazy river is awesome!

Great experience with all the staff, all very friendly at the bars, concierge, etc & really attentive and quick when we asked for things in our rooms (like extra blankets, etc). The beds are little bit uncomfortable (or at least it was in our room).

Fun extras like coffee shop & ice cream parlour! (included in all inclusive)

The beach is very secluded and GREAT for snorkelling, but the resort isn't too far from fun excursions like Rio Secreto and the port for catamarans!

Would recommend this resort 100x over!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We just came home from this hotel on March 30, 2014. I went with a group of 6 women for a 40th birthday celebration. We found the hotel staff helpful and they mostly all spoke fluent english. We really enjoyed the main buffet. We booked the a la cartes right after we checked in and they were mainly booked up solid. We did get in for later times to the following restaurants: Mexican - good, Brazillian - really good, and Mediteranean - good. None were spectacular but they were good. Rooms are spacious and clean - we had the double beds and there was a privacy glass between the room and the bathroom. The other girls had king size bed (as this is all that was available) and there was no privacy glass. As in the other reviews, I did not find the furniture shabby but more retro chic. The hotel as a whole was in my mind a combination of retro meets modern/utilitarian. But I found the lobby and hotel facilities spacious and clean. Our friends on the 1st and 2nd floor found the hotel a bit noisy at night but I had brought earplugs and that solved that problem. We were on the third floor and we didn't find it very noisy. A lot of the reviews talk about how big the resort and I am normally geographically challenged, but I found that it the layout was easy to navigate. We spent a lot of time at the beach - we all loved the beach! We could always find chairs and it seemed big enough. A little bit of rocks going in but they quickly gave way to soft sand. We didn't go snorkeling but we did see turtles. I have been to four resorts in Riviera Maya and this was my favourite beach. We spent a day at the pool and did find it hard to get chairs. We made multi-trips around the lazy river - LOVED the lazy river - so much fun! The Bellboys were very helpful with arranging taxis to Playa and Diego even took the cart to pick up our friends in their room when they were late - thanks Diego! Although they had carts going round to shuttle people, it very rarely seemed to match up with when and where I was going - that's ok, I brought comfortable shoes. We tried the spa out one day and did the water spa circuit and massage. The water spa is a series of water massage, pools, saunas, etc. It was OK but I found that we were kind of left to our own devices with no instruction and it was kind of confusing. The massage was good and I would recommend. I have to say after reading some of the negative reviews on tripadvisor, I was very, very nervous about this resort but overall I would highly recommend this resort and I would definitely go back there!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We decided to spend a little extra and go for a 5 star resort and spa to get the royal treatment. It ended up being a nice resort but from other friends experiences at 5 star resorts, this did not compare. The food was ok. Nothing spectacular. The staff were great for the most part. We always went to the quiet bar and the bartenders were so much fun! The room was nice and comfortable. I liked that it was a king bed and not two doubles pushed together. The entertainment was ok but once you've seen shows, they are pretty much all the same. The beach was small but had amazing snorkeling, which is what I love spending time doing. I loved that fact that we were close to Playa Del Carmen and that we could get public transit to there. It was also really close to Tulum which was amazing. Overall the resort was great but not worth the extra money we spent for a 5 Star. (We actually stayed in April of 2012 but it wouldn't let me select that date!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Today I received a rather rude phone call from the sales people of the Sirenis Hotels. They were trying to sell me another package to their hotels.

First thing they did was block their call and made it look like the were calling from a local number. I advised them I had been here and was very unhappy with the resort. I'm sure you can find my review in here.

I wanted to hear them out as I am coming back to Mexico soon. The person on the other end was on a very bad telephone line and I couldn't hear him. I asked him to fix his phone and he wouldn't. He transferred me to his boss who did not believe me when I told him I got a package to another hotel for $600 and taxes but wouldn't verify what I was talking about as he couldn't match it.

Long story short these people are very rude and have just proven it to me again in their attempts to get me back there.

For your information I was in one of the rooms that had a camera installed in the bathroom. Be very very careful if you are in a room beside where the cleaners have their lockers. They are everywhere.

When we were there the lazy river was broken down the whole time and we couldn't get a drink anywhere but the lobby. It rained so hard there the roof started falling apart. The food was cold and their only suggestion was the microwave.

This hotel says five star but the service makes it a 3 star for me.

Be careful when coming here

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was our second time in Mexico, first time at this resort. Grand Sirenis was absolutely amazing. We were there for a week with our family for our wedding, and then another week for our honeymoon in mid February.

Our wedding couldn’t have gone better – it was absolutely incredible. A special thank you to Tania, our wedding coordinator who worked so hard to make everything perfect. We had a bit of rain while we were safe inside eating dinner, and she was even able to coordinate around that. If I could rate her and our wedding experience on a scale of 1 to 10 it would be a 20. We couldn’t have been happier.

The concierge service at each building where the rooms are located are wonderful. You don’t have to walk back to the main lobby to do your reservations or anything, just see the concierge at your building. Special thank you to Eddie – he has an amazing personality and he works so hard to make sure your stay is perfect.

There were many pools, bars, lots of beach chairs available everywhere, wonderful food, outstanding service and staff. The beach was beautiful – the water was perfect. The scene itself was like it was out of a painting.

We did also check out the spa – affordable and amazing services for what you pay. There are also tons of activities like the lazy river, archery and more – its very kid friendly yet still romantic for couples.

The night entertainment was incredible – so enjoyable so definitely check out the shows. The singers, especially the 2 women are SOOOO good. They did themes each night – movies, music videos, musicals – you will not regret going – definitely check it out. They also had a kids performance before the later show – so adorable and looked like a great activity for the kids.
The restaurants were amazing – we especially loved the Italian and Brazilian. And the servers are so friendly and quick to help you with anything you need. They really took the experience to the next level.

All in all Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach was a spectacular place to have a wedding and the perfect environment for a honeymoon as well as a family vacation. Thank you Grand Sirenis!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Me and my husband thought we would fly far from the nest for our honeymoon and had received many mixed views about this hotel. When we arrived we were extremely tired and the staff at first werent all that helpful we waited for about 2 hours for our bags but once that little drama was over with the rest of our holiday was fantastic.
The rooms were always clean and tidy, the bed is massive and to us extrememly comfortable.
The resort is big but if you are going for a long time like we did (3 weeks) time really isnt an issue, especially once you get to know all the little short cuts there are around the place.
The food was standard, the restaurants i think were what made it amazing. A side from the Italian, poor service and rubbish food...the waiter couldnt even look at us when taking the order, got the orders wrong and took our drinks away before we had finished. The brazillian was amazing book in there if you can its like 8 mini courses of food which was a nice suprise to us. We tried everything once apart from the french as that is an extra charge.
Racoons were out almost every night and we got the chance to feed them, plenty of lizards around as well which are harmless. Me and my husband liked to think there were 3 beaches there but other people would beg to differ, there is the main beach which is right next to the snack bar and is always busy, one a little further away from that which still has waiter service and one hidden away from everything which is where we spent most of our time, this one however doesnt have sun loungers or waiting service.
Evening entertainment was good always something for someone, there is a mexican market on twice a week small but cute and good for little souveniers but do barter as they can be quite robbing with some stuff.
Most reviews are correct when they say about the drinks sometimes it is easier to have water with you just incase most of the time we were fine only once or twice was we caught dry.
all in all fantastic time.... so fantastic i quit smoking as didnt feel the need to anymore.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!