“Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Los Angeles, California
“Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I would suggest it to everyone. I really enjoyed the hospitality and everyone was really helpful and fully busy doing their best to accommodate guests. It was a great from start to finish with great food and very friendly staff. I would highly recommend this place for vacation or business trip.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We visited during March Break March 14th-21st. A relaxing and wonderful vacation, the last time we visited was 6 years ago, our daughter was then 4 months young, she's now 6 and our son is 3.

Our view and opinion:

The beach/ocean:
The beach and ocean is relatively calm and safe for children, it's a private beach so a big plus with no vendors to disturb the guests. There's a couple of waitresses that works the beach, and these ladies work very hard. They get the orders and move fast to bring back your beverages. There's a beach/bbq hut, where you get your food and bring it back to the beach, it's mostly bbq meat, chicken, not for a vegetarian. You could also go to the restaurant for food, remember to wear a shirt and sandals.
Our kids spent endless amount of time building sand castles and swimming in the ocean, bring arm floaties or some sort of floatation device for your young children, it's piece of mind, when you have more than one child, The snorkelling is fantastic so bring your gear. We did not experience any sand mites/bugs.

The buffets/restaturants:
Two buffet restaurants and fairly typical for an all inclusive, there was something for everyone, my kids live on pizza and pasta, so we were excited to find out that the chefs would make our daughter her own all cheese pizza nightly and our son pasta with garlic and butter. Kids were happy and they ate, parents were happy. There's salads, seafood - mostly fish, meats, breads etc, lots to choose from for any dietary needs.
We attempted the a la cartes but were not successful because our kids went to sleep by 7 p.m, so can't comment on them. We do recall 6 years ago they were pretty good, because back then our infant daughter slept through dinner in her stroller.

Our room was cleaned daily and occasionally we came back to be greeted by a cutesy towel design on the beds that my son found very adorable, once an elephant another day a bird. The one thing was our bathtub never worked, we filed a complaint but they never came and our kids were excited to stand in the grown up shower, so why bother with the tub...

Pools and others:
Our kids love the pool and the lazy river, endless amount of fun on the lazy river. There's also a pool for babies and toddlers at the kids centre, nice and shallow for your little daredevil toddler. There's soccer, bocce, and lots other activities. They activities guy also involved the children in the games, so at noon there's kids soccer on the beach, our daughter loved it.
The ice cream palor is very popular but again remember to wear your shirt and slippers.

The resort is very large and spread out, there's lots we didn't do, we were too tired from shovelling all that snow in Toronto and trying to stay warm. We took off the layers and was prepared to relax, and enjoy the Mexican sun. We did not go to the nightly shows or disco, or check out any offsites. We went to bed early and woke up early and our kids had a blast.
Wishful that the airport is closer, but it was a decent drive.

Room Tip: We love ocean view, but you have to have a third floor room to get a decent view of the ocean, we we...
1 Thank RegalHeights
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

There seem to be alot of negative reviews on here about this resort. I'll go over our week and let you decide and I'll try to talk about maybe some issues that others may have had.

We had our wedding at the GS last week which all started when we booked with them through our travel agent at Nolitours (Air Transat). We decided on this over a few because of a few reasons.

1. Choice of wedding options.
2. Family friendly for younger kids.
3. Price was right in the middle.

We got the info regarding the different packages from Maria in the wedding coordination office and asked us about a date and time (since we already knew the week). Picked a date and decided on the Presidential Package for the main reason of having the private beach + Palapaya which is right next to the private beach. The extra perks were nice but it was more about the location and not having people walk by during the ceremony. We paid our $500 dollar deposit and everything was confirmed. Maria mentioned we would get an email from our actual wedding coordinator 2 months prior to confirm details even though we sent a good chunk to Maria. From what I gathered was Maria was more in sales and initial details and then they assign you a wedding coordinator later on that would be more detailed.

Tania was assigned to us pretty much exactly 2 months before. She had all the info from Maria and just went over alot of the details again and asked about things that we had not filled in yet. She was great and I have nothing bad to say about any of the girls working in the office there. Was very competent but you could tell she seemed over worked and had alot going on but never once was I worried about things.

Anyways, I'll skip to the week. Arrived Sunday to a letter from Tania with our meeting time/place the next day. The check in process could be improved here a bit. We had a group of 40+ coming from Calgary and then another 15 at various times and it was a bit hectic but it probably didn't help we arrived around 1 when check in was suppose to be later. Didn't really hear anything too bad from the guests other than it took a while for some.

Room was nice and big. Not much of a view from our room in building 12 but that's ok with me. We were on the third floor which is what I wanted more than anything. I will note a few more things about the rooms/buildings below. Room was definitely very clean but a bit outdated. Not a huge issue as long as it's clean and not completely falling apart. I could see some people complaining about the bathroom/room setup if you were traveling with a friend or a significant other that you were more new with. There was a glass opaque window separating the two but you could hear people in the room and bathroom clearly. We also had some family next to us and when you're in the toilet area you could hear them yelling at their kids a few days haha.

Next morning we met with Tania and a girl that was a bit more new to the resort but still very friendly and very helpful when I asked her for things on the wedding day. We went over the spreadsheet we had been sending back and forth together and went over all the details again just in case. We hadn't filled in some of the songs yet but I brought a USB stick and we sorted it all out. All in all, it took us less than 20 minutes for this meeting. It sounded like some people that are overly controlling could be there for hours making sure every single little detail was exactly as they envisioned it. I just want to say to those people and anyone worried that you really don't need to be that stressed about things. The day went well with zero hiccups.

Anyways, I paid the remainder upstairs at the lobby for the wedding which was pretty much what I was quoted except we added a few things during the meeting like bouquets for the bridesmaids (Brides was included) which was about 35USD each, not whatever some of these people are quoting. After reading a review from a few weeks ago regarding someone getting screwed with the bill at the end of the week, I made sure I had the receipt for both the Visa charge as well as the detailed invoice. No problems there at all and had the deposit on the invoice. Meh, no complaints around that.

The night before the wedding I just slept in my brothers room as he had an extra bed. I am not sure who got the idea that you got an extra room to get ready and such but meh, that person that had 60 people, I'm sure they could have figured out a better plan. Girls got ready in our room, I got ready in my brothers room and we avoided each other all day. Not too difficult. We did pay for the golf cart (about 100 USD) to make sure everyone got the ceremony area on time and YES it is THAT far. If you go to the disco at all, the private beach/reception area is literally behind that building. Got carted off from 3-3:45 with the ceremony starting at 4. It was well decorated just like in the pictures and the centerpiece and two other flower pieces looked very nice.

My beautiful bride arrived on time and things got going. Ceremony was nice, write your own vows, it is much nicer. The minister was good but screwed up once on a last name but all good. Ceremony took all of 20 minutes maybe. Not much to say about this whole process as I was just enjoying my time and not thinking about anything else.

After the ceremony they had champagne and appetizers for everyone for about 30 minutes then I paid for an open bar for everyone from 5-6 before the reception. The beach is okay for taking pictures but there is alot of drift up on the beaches. Decent views of the water and were able to get some great photos. My suggestion to the staff would be to invest a few workers for a day or two and clean up the beach a bit of the refuge.

The reception area was great and we had about 5 staff as well as the 3 wedding coordinator people that were there to make sure if we needed anything. We had the mexican trio for some music near the start of the reception through the start of dinner for 45 mins. They were awesome and I would recommend them for sure! The DJ and our MC's did a great job and the communication between them was top notch. All the speeches and dances, etc took us to about 8:15 which left us only 45 mins left to mingle/dance/party at that location. Everyone had a great time including the staff and everyone was very friendly and helpful!

Few more points on the reception. We had the BBQ buffet as we had such a large group they would only do either a single plated dinner or the buffet. Worked out the best as the package only includes stuff for 10 people and the buffet was the cheapest to add people at 350 pesos each. The food was OK but nothing great. Pretty much on par with most people. I wouldn't call it the worst but it's not 5 star food. The cake we got was very delicious and we just picked it out of their catalog. Pretty standard 3 tier cake, not much else to say there. You could pay for an upgraded bar instead of the National bar but to be honest no one would car nor even notice after a few haha. One thing I wish they had booked it to 10PM. Not sure if it is an option but 9PM was a bit early once we were done all the regular wedding things. When they say 4 hours at the Palapaya (private beach reception) it includes if you want it for the cocktail hour as well. Just something to be aware of.

I'll cover the rest of our week by summarizing all the different areas to rate:

Service 5/5
I had nothing but great service. The bars could get super busy in the evenings after the nightly show but usually there were two bartenders in each lobby bar and I would tip each of them a dollar or so the first time they served me and they picked me out of the crowd every time. Not saying you NEED to tip but Mexico/tourism is definitely tip-driven and they live off them alot of the time. Don't be so cheap about it I guess? Service in the restaurants were great for us as well as the buffets in terms of getting drinks. Never had an issue. A few didn't have the best service at one restaurant one night but I didn't hear too much of that.

Value 4/5
We did go during the most busy time of the year (spring break) because my wife is a teacher and she cannot take any other week off during the school year. You pay a bit more but I didn't feel it was outrageous. I would give it a 4/5 for value as I would like to think there is better value for money out there but meh.

Sleep Quality 3.5/5
OK let me start this off by telling you to remember there are 3 yes THREE curtains. We didn't really notice the super dark one at the back until the end of the week. Stupid us as we didn't have the best sleeps as it got very light early in the day. No one's fault but our own. The beds were okay but I found the pillows too flat. Meh. I could see people complaining about being on the bottom floor or in building 18 as it's right next to the one main pool. We had the presidential suite (or one of them) during the wedding night (which was awesome by the way, huge room and 8 bottles of premium booze!) and it was at the pool end of 18 on the second floor and it got loud early.

Cleanliness 5/5
I think some people mistaken cleanliness from general upkeep of the building. The resort is quite old and yes there are dated and some things needing to be fixed but there was ALWAYS lots of cleaning staff cleaning every surface. Our rooms were always clean every day. No complaints at all.

Location 4/5
It's right in between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. Two of the more popular places to go. It's too far to drive to Cancun in my opinion but that was OK with us. Tulum's beach I hear was awesome even though we never made it. Playa Del Carmen for shopping from what I hear.

Rooms 4/5
I mentioned a bit of this up before. Bathroom separation I could see being an issue. Room was clean though, AC worked, TV worked, balcony was sturdy (note below). And we always got different towel art every day haha. It was neato.

Food 3/5
The food was probably the worse part of the trip but it's not enough for me to drop a star on the overall experience. You could always find something in the buffet but don't eat the pasta down there. It was not good at all and I tried a few different ones. For lunch the steakhouse (pool side snack bar) was very good though. I would make my own sandwich with lunch meat + chili+ veggies+ salsa and you should all give it a try haha. We did three ala-cartes while there. First time was the mediterrian one. Our group of 4 that went all had good meals except maybe the chicken. It was a mixed review place though between the remaining 30ish that went from our group on other times. Second one we went to was the french restaurant as it was included in our package. It does cost money and that's why it's always empty. It's a shame though as I had by far the best food there which was the duck. Either way it was nice to have the place pretty much to ourselves and we did splurge on a bottle of wine off the menu which we enjoyed alot. Lastly we got into the Brazilian which was very good as well. It was alot of food but wow it was hot in that restaurant that night. I had to leave a few times either cause of the meat sweats or the temp inside haha. Also, good luck getting into the Japanese one. Impossible unless maybe you're there for longer than 7 days. It's unfortunate but it's the highest rated on this site it seems. Also I didn't hear any complaints about the Italian place at all from our group. I saw a bunch of negative things on here but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Spa 4/5
We went to the Spa 2 days after the wedding for our Honeymoon package which was nice. Steam, soak, hot stone massage, relaxation room. The spa seemed ok, but nothing amazing. I don't ever really go so I can't really speak to it too much...

Activites 4.5/5
Seemed like there was plenty to do here, lots by the pool, lots by the beach, just lots overall. You shouldn't be too bored here.

Wedding Costs
Overall I think I paid about 90,000 pesos for everything. The base package for Presidential is about 65k I believe but that only is for 10 people. There are plenty of packages to choose from but remember you get what you pay for. Even with that cost + flights + tips, there is no way I could have done that wedding that nicely in Calgary.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone with kids for sure. If you were just a couple that wanted to relax by the beach/pool, maybe an adults only one is better? If you are thinking about doing your wedding here and are hesitant you really should not be. It was an amazing experience and you need to trust that they know how to do this (they are doing 48 weddings in April). If you go all bride-zilla or groom-zilla on them you're just going to stress about the things that really don't matter. People no matter what will find something to complain about but it's really about making the best out of your situation. I had no real big negatives to report and neither did the 52 other guests we brought with us. The biggest thing is Wifi cost and the cost for the safe (which yes is BS). But everyone could go without the internet for 7 days :)

Sorry about the very long review but I feel like the resort doesn't get the justification it deserves sometimes with all the stuck up people on here!

Room Tip: Building 19 is for time share people I believe but would be the best. 18 would be the loudest but yo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank EllisD87
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My family and I just returned from another fabulous vacation at Grand SIrenis Riviera Maya. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The beach and the resort is wonderful. There is so much to see and do in the area. Scuba diving in the cenotes and snorkeling with the turtles were memorable experiences. There are a few people we would like to thank as they did their best to make sure our vacation was stress-free. Oscar, our concierge, from the moment he contacted us we knew the details of our stay were being taken care of. Ronnie Reyes, our friendly waiter, always had hot coffee ready each morning. Thank you Karen who took such good care of me at the beach and Andres, at the spa, who is always so helpful. We had a really fun night at the Japanese restaurant and Juan Carlos was so attentive. We will definitely be back to this resort and we will continue to recommend it.

1 Thank Stephen_in_Calgary
Terre Haute, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This hotel is nice but they do not treat their non-members very well at all. Everything is all about the members. They want you to buy in but do not give you any incenitives before hand. Most of the staff are stand offish. Some are quite friendly but not many. They do not have a complimentary shuttle or free Wi-Fi unless you are a member. Never stayed anywhere that, that was the case. Will not stay there again or recommend to anyone. We were on the lower level and there was a leak in our bathroom from upstairs. I feel and luckily did not get hurt badly. Just sore but it could have been worse. It never got fixed during our stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Susanna G
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Friendly helpful staff, food alright, lots of things to do, and not too big.
One major complaint, is slamming doors...really loud slamming doors...not sure if it was staff while cleaning, as did not happen at night. that being said, cleaning staff are top notch.
Has a lovely Spa, and again, for the most part, the staff were really helpful.
The place is kept very clean, and grounds are nicely manicured...again, staff work very hard.
I might go back, but would be tempted to try something a bit different. Lots to do for a family, so if want entertainment, it's there, if you want quiet, you can usually find a nice relaxing spot.
Lots of rude people leaving towels on beach chairs to reserve them, then don't show up, or show up late afternoon....just roll their towel up, put behind chair and lie back and relax.
I didn't see one flying bug. Sadly they are opening a Dolphin pen, right beside the Spa...each to their own, myself, am against keeping them in captivity.
I stayed 7 days and didn't do 1/4 of the things available. So can either relax, or gobble up all the activities.
Drinks, as in most resorts are watered down....in some ways a good thing, as would have lots of disgusting loud drunks roaring about.....Take lots of U.S. 1$ bills for tipping. They only make $1 and hour...so these tips really help them. Hotel prides itself on being eco friendly. Too bad you still get the slobs that throw their cigarette butts and cups on the lovely beaches....
I would recommend this resort to friends and family

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I guess some people were unlucky and that's why they had so many things to complain about but except for the fact that I think wifi and the safe should be included in the price, I have nothing bad to say about this resort. It was my third time on the Riviera Maya and I've been to Cuba 5 times so I have some experience. Really, this resort was great.

It was super clean. And you can see staff keeping it clean all the time.
The food was good, even in the restaurants, and I'm usually not too impressed with a la carte food on resorts.
Yes, it's rocky to get in the water but if you choose your spot carefully (on the right, near the flag), it's just sand.
The rooms are gigantic! Very comfortable. I didn't find the bed to be hard at all. And I even liked the pillows, which I usually don't in hotels. The balcony is nice and the chairs are comfortable.
If you have neighbors that like TV, you may hear it quite loud through the adjoining door... Bring ear plugs. And if you are on the ground floor, you might be bothered by the shuttle going by if you're a light sleeper.
Yes it takes a while to fill the tub but if you use the shower head, it's much faster. Always leave the shower head IN the tub when you're done, or risk a problem with water!
The separate shower was quite big.
Yes, as everyone mentioned, it can be uncomfortable to go to the toilet when the other people in the room can hear everything. This was not an issue since I was alone in my room. But I understand that it's not for everyone.
The maintenant staff was super quick and very efficient. I had to call them after flooding my room (my fault!) and they showed up quickly at 4am with a smile! My friend called them too for a defective fridge and they replaced it right away.
They may tell you that wifi only works in the lobby. We were in block 12 and it worked very well in our rooms.I read that some people thought it was slow so I was expecting that, but no, it was as fast as at home.
The massage guy, Roberto, was wonderful. You can have a massage at the spa or at the beach.
The lazy river was fun.
On the left of the beach, there is an exclusive area. But if you go further passed it, there is another part of the beach that is for everyone and that is quieter, with it's own little area to swim on the beach, and this one is all sand.
The lobby bars are quite pleasant. Very airy and comfortable.
A bit tricky to open your room door with the card. But ask the concierge and he will show you how do to it.
Lots of people talked about being pressured into the timeshare scheme. Nobody ever mentioned it to me.
Check in was fine. A bit slow but hey, we were on holidays and the girl at front desk was obviously new and learning.
If you want to keep your room after check out time, it's about 10$ per hour.
It takes a while to figure out the geography of the site. I'm very good with maps but it took me two days to figure the whole thing out. It's quite confusing and quite a few little roads are not on the map.
I didn't go to the shows or to the disco, so I don't know how that was.
Wifi was about 43$ for the week.
Safe was 32$.
And please please please, tip! So many people didn't tip at all, which I think is wrong... The staff really gives a good service.

Room Tip: it's not a noisy resort so anywhere is good I think.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank goworldmtl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#94 of 200 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 5,258 reviews
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
#74 of 200 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 9,168 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!