In total honesty, most reviews have covered every aspect of this hotel but I would like to sum up a few key points which I think make this hotel spectacular and mention the few niggly negatives. We stayed in the Mayan side block. If you can ask for a room higher up, it will be quieter, as the hotel is laid out in such a way that even buggies can drive on the ground floors between blocks and as it is built of stone, it gets quite echo-ey.
- the rooms are very spacious as are the bathrooms.
- we had a room with a glass partition between the bathroom and bedroom which worked great
- water and soft drinks/beer replenished daily (and we are talking about a 5 litre bottle of water here.....)
- wonderful beach area which looks a lot smaller on the photographs but it is quite spread out.
- super snorkelling off the beach including resident turtles - you just need to know where to look for them but we went out "turtle-spotting" everyday and saw 2-3 turtles each time (the beach furthest away from the bbq area - just beyond where the boats are moored in the evenings).
- lovely Mayan ruin on a promontory on the beach.
- great service (bar one or two boys at the pedalo rental place who insisted on receiving tips, saying that tips are his friend! cheeky and totally not in keeping with the staff of the rest of the hotel, but it transpired that this is an external concessionary within the hotel).
- stunning and huge gardens, with lots of wildlife but nothing threatening etc.
- no mosquitoes! (maybe we were just lucky)
- fantastic lazy river (The only one in the hotels in the area, I believe)
- management willing to listen to customers (they have stand alone computers dotted around the lobby for you to write your comments).
Now to some of the negatives but dont let this put you off, it is to give a balanced view:
- lack of Mexican feel around the place (no hammocks etc)
- wrong maps handed out at the reception desk (apparently old and therefore, the timings are different) - check and ask if this is the latest version (kids club had totally rearranged its hours which had a negative impact one day on our plans)
- It does not say this anywhere but airgun shooting is only from 16 - my 11 year old boy was quite upset by this;
- I sent an email beforehand to the hotel (I believe it was to the HQ address but to the Mexican hotel) and never received any acknowledgement - poor PR
- do not count on sleeping on the sofa in the bedroom (for children for example) as it is next to useless as a bed; ask for a rollaway bed.
- pillows are thin and hard, if you have preferences, bring your own
- concierge people vary from fantastic (Teresa, Simon) to downright bored and awful (Adrian).
- Jacuzzi in the bathroom takes forever to fill up and awkward to find the hot water spot;
- boats are moored right by the beach at around 1600 where the best snorkelling is making the swimming area even smaller and polluting the beach with engine fumes!.
- food is OK (the best spread is at breakfast) and then lunch and dinner get very boring, limited and samey. The speciality restaurants are not much better. We tried 5 of them and did not enjoy any of the meals there. Some dishes are also very salty.
- lack of specific information re some shows such as no one knew what time the Mariachis would be playing and where (They play during the Mexican evening)
Overall a great resort, we had a wonderful time and found it very relaxing. There is a lot of walking to do but it means that you do not feel on top of each other.
Mexico is a great country and the people are fantastic! Go and enjoy!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Low Cost Holidays, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Akumal, Mexico