“AMAZING WEEK!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Kensington, Canada
“AMAZING WEEK!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Absolutely amazing week at Grand Sirenis!!!! We were in the 22 building and had no issues with it. Our concierge Marcas was amazing!!! The beach was excellent, we never went out and put towels down but always got chairs no matter what time we got there. We didn't spend much time at the pool as we had went for the beach but they were nice. The lazy river was a great addition to the resort, but be prepared to fall in!
All the staff were great, and work very hard!!!! We never had to wait for drinks at meal time or at any of the bars. The captain at the Italian restaurant went out of his way to help me as I am gluten free and he had them make me some gluten free bread. We ate at the Italian, Mexican and Cajun restaurants and the food at all of them was great! The buffet was always good as well for breakfast and supper, lunch was always just something at the snack bar on the beach which was also good.
The entertainment team was amazing!! They are super friendly and go out of their way to help you. They are there all day doing the daytime activities, then all evening doing the nightly shows yet they are always friendly. Jesus was amazing!!!! Great employee!!!
The room was very nice! Beds a bit hard, but definitely not a deal breaker!!
We were through Transat and did their free trip to the jewellery store and this was the only negative experience we had as it was our last day and they gave our seats in the van away saying we could get the next one in 5 minutes. However that did not happen and we wasted an hour sitting on the steps waiting for a ride to Playa del Carmen. And when we got there they said the bus home was full and we would be taking the later one, which would have us waste our entire last beach day so we got fed up and walked to the end of 5th Avenue and took the public transit back. Which was great, cheap and quicker as it just stops on the highway and doesn't go in to all the resorts.
This was my 4th trip down south, first trip to Mexico and was the best vacation I have ever had! I will definitly be going back!!! Everything about this resort was excellent and the staff are soooooo great!!!
Thanks for an amazing vacation!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,384)
  • Polish first
Aldershot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

First time in Mexico, had no idea what to expect. The truth is the hotel is 5* no matter what anybody says it is 5* the hotel is so clean and always being cleaned. We had problems in our room e.g. the bath was randomly leaking, within 2 hours the staff had replaced the whole taps of the bath and everything was fixed. The maintenance team are so quick and perfect. You also get a personal concierge who looks after you on your stay. Huge shout out to Adrian, He is true gent, nothing was ever too much hassle and he made a new country to us feel so welcome and was a great laugh and a great bloke to meet. All the staff are so friendly, watch out for a few scams with the spa though, some guy was on beach offered us a promotion deal but when we got to the spa that deal didn't exist, however was quickly resolved. It truly was an amazing hotel, they could improve on a few things e.g. safe included in the room and wifi, and more food choices at the buffet and not sure why the lazy river turned off so early everyday, Otherwise an amazing hotel one of the best in the world. Truly 5* the staff should be proud to work there.

Room Tip: Every room has its perks there all great.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I travelled to the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya from February 12-22, 2014. We travelled with another couple who we travel with annually, we are all in our 30s, from Toronto, Canada.
Pros:
Friendly service
Beautiful weather (27-32 celsius and sun everyday!)
Great coffee bar (expect to wait at least 10 minutes for your coffee, everybody loves them)
We liked the beach (bring water shoes, there are rocks and reef and sea urchins, but that makes better snorkelling)
Giant rooms (the showers are awesome, jacuzzi tub is great, there is a giant hole in the wall between the bedroom and bathroom but in our relationship we aren't embarrassed about this stuff so, whatever)
Enjoyed breakfast buffet (Eric was our favourite waiter in the main buffet), all the locations for brekkie were decent, same goes for lunch
A la cartes we liked: Japanese, Mediterranean, Brazilian-by far the best food and service, our waiter was hilarious and the only staff member who thought it was great that we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary
Lots of lounge chairs available IF you get up early to find them, especially if you want a beach lounger in the shade
Cabanas around pool a nice touch
Enjoyed the drinks
Corona is the beer on tap
Maid service was great (we tipped $5 a day and I brought a small gift each day--such as perfumes, pretty toiletries, etc)
Fast trip from airport to resort-about an hour (PS we flew Transat-don't buy the $6 beers in the parking lot, they are only $3 on the bus, and there IS a bathroom onboard, they didn't tell us and we all cheered when we found out, and drank more)!
The shows are funny and sweet (we liked Grease and Lion King), the staff try really hard-so have a good sense of humour and appreciate their effort, the complainers on here are REAL JERKS-want to see a great show? Pay like the rest of us and go to Broadway, not a resort!
Cool wildlife
Each block has its own concierge to book reservations, just make sure you reserve ASAP, and be sure the dates and times are correct
Free room service, takes about an hour, food is gross but if you have had drinks, it works :)
Fun music by the pool, and pool staff/entertainment staff really try to engage you
Fabulous service and recommendation by Luis, the spa sales person. We got couples massages on the beach in the beach tower and loved it

CONS (hate giving cons!):
The WORST experience was the 100 or so Spanish kids (18 and over) that were wasted alll the time, banging on doors at 4am each night, one stole my beach hat (we got it back because she was an idiot and wore it the next day), rude, entitles brats--I know the resort can't ban people, but they could have managed them a little better...eventually a security guard followed them around to shut them up, but it was absolutely out of control (and we are NOT prudes, so I can't imagine how other reacted to them)!
Ridiculously slow check in, considering very few people were in line, we arrived around 8pm
We were promised ocean view, we probably had the worst view on the resort, facing a factory or something, I don't know what it was, I think we were in block 2300--great location, fabulous actually, just a bad view
We had some issues with our reservations, wrong dates were given to us (be sure to double check and compare)
We were told that we would have a welcome bottle of tequila, it was not there, they sent it up later upon our request
We were told that something nice would be done for us for our first anniversary, nothing was done--so we asked for it (haha, lame)--so then 2 days later they sent us a bottle of sparkling-nice but a little late ;)
Very hard bed, not great pillows--but, enough pillows to kind of figure it out
Cajun and steak a la cartes were not good. Well, the steak could have been good, but my steak was sooooo blue. So, maybe order a little more well done than usually, and you might be okay.

All in all, we had a great time. I will not return due to the Spanish young adult infiltration. I realize that it could happen anywhere, but I do believe if we went to an adults only resort, we would avoid that type of clientele. We don't mind party people, but that crowd was NOT our cup of tea (ignorant, childish, entitled).

Enjoy your stay at this resort!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The wait and service staff were LOVELY! They work very hard for very little pay, so you still need to tip despite resort "claims" that all gratuities are included. Rooms were fairly clean - found 2 live cockroaches, various spiders and earwigs - but dated. Beds are HORRIBLY uncomfortable and sheets are threadbare. Front desk staff are VERY disorganized. Stomach turning raw sewage smell in our bathroom and at swim up bar. A la carte restaurants are nothing special and VERY noisy - might as well eat at the buffet. Had one good and one bad meal at the Steakhouse. The wine is raunchy - Tuesday's vintage. I resorted to drinking Miami Vices, which were enjoyable and camouflaged the taste of the cheap quality spirits. The resort is also about 1hr. and 30 min. drive to the airport. Overall the wait staff and our travel mates made the experience wonderful, but I would NEVER stay here again nor recommend this resort to anyone.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I wrote a very positive review last May about this resort. After spending a week again this March, I still think this is an exceptional site. However I was disappointed. What is the source of my disappointment? Not the place, not the food, not the accommodations. While they all could use some overhaul, they are fine really. No the staff is the source of my reservations. As a premium member I felt ignored and put out by the very people who are supposed to make my stay a dream come true. Well it did not happen. I had asked for a premium room with a king bed. I was given a regular room with a two double beds! I had given my restaurant reservations earlier and they were ignored. I had to do it all over again. I had to call a few days before getting there since I had not heard from my concierge who was supposed to get in touch. The same concierge who assured me he would make everything smooth for us and who somehow became the invisible man throughout our stay. He even called one morning waking us up at 8am asking if all was well! Guilty perhaps. And to top it all after we settled our bill no one truly said goodbye. Let me say that the service in restaurants and bars was fine. I particularly thank Miguel great at the beach party (a nice addition by the way) and Karen, who made sure we were supplied with libations on the beach and was extremely pleasant and effective. But the premium members staff were missing, passive and full of complacency and indifference. I love this place but I did not enjoy the way I was treated, and that is a damning comment. Let's hope you can do better next time

Room Tip: Higher floor and ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We found our overall experience to be good. The grounds were clean and well kept. The buffet's were very good and the staff were prompt and friendly, however, we found our a la carte experiences to be marginal for quality and service.

The rooms were nice but they are getting tired. When we checked in, the room that they had for us was furthest from all the amenities on the resort, however, for an additional 4100.00 pesos we would be able to upgrade to an ocean view room which were also closer to the beach and the pool with swim up bar. Not being overly pleased with the location of our original room we paid for the room upgrade. We felt as though we were being manipulated since there were many rooms at the ocean front location that were unoccupied. We wonder whether the resort employs this strategy on a regular basis to garner extra funds for the resort. We did ask at the time whether there were any other rooms (non ocean front) available that were closer to the amenities but oddly enough the only rooms that were available were ocean front.

Other negative aspects of the resort are that they charge for the safety deposit box. I would think that this is not optional because I am not sure who in their right mind would decline the safety deposit box in their room. Even though the costs were mininal we felt as though we were being nickel and dimed. The resort should just hide the costs in the room charges.

Also, if you wanted access to wi-fi you had to pay approx. $16.00 dollars a day or $40.00 dollars per week per device. I can understand perhaps $40.00 dollars per week for all devices but $16.00/$40.00 dollars per device appeared to us to be a money grab. Also, the wi-fi at the hotel was terribly slow.

As I said, the ocean front room that we stayed in was getting tired. The sofa was well past it due date and the beds were of marginal comfort. We both didn't care for the open bathroom concept. There was little privacy provided.

We found the resort heavily oriented towards families. Not to be anti-kid or anti-family the next time we return to the Mayan Riviera we will stay in an adults only resort.

I understand the review of the resort is average, however, we both loved our time in the Mayan Riviera. The weather was great, the beaches are beautiful and the blue waters of the caribbean are stellar.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the best because they are situated close to the majority of the amenities. If...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

If you go to Sirenis I would recommend having a massage in the beach hut with Carmen she was so good, I felt so relaxed after and all my muscles felt at ease, I had a full body massage and would usually feel uncomfortable having my legs massaged but this was amazing. Thank you. Also thanks to Darius front desk for sorting out our room and checking us in and out, very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!