“Beach Massage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beach Massage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

If you go to Sirenis I would recommend having a massage in the beach hut with Carmen she was so good, I felt so relaxed after and all my muscles felt at ease, I had a full body massage and would usually feel uncomfortable having my legs massaged but this was amazing. Thank you. Also thanks to Darius front desk for sorting out our room and checking us in and out, very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,861)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We are a family of five, just finishing a week vacation at the Grand Sirenis.

Pros: awesome beach with great snorkeling, super good service, the staff go out there way to try to fix problems with the room that could only be fixed by an management update. Good restaurants, we ate Italian (good), brazillian (good) and the steak house ( thin steaks and over cooked, not to good). Buffet was good for breakfast and Mexican night. Get the tacos.

Cons: room smelled musty, beds were uncomfortable, sheets were scratchy and the couch was terrible to sit on. Also, out personal concierge was also our membership salesperson (5hr sales pitch which was too much) and when we didn't buy, things seemed awkward after that. The pools are quite boring with no slides for kids. Lazy river is best they have. We stayed at beachside most of the time.

It was over all a disappointment with the poor room, the offered to get us a different room, but we were told out options were limited because it was a connecting room. The "membership" two bedroom they showed us was awesome, but instead of making us want to purchase the membership it had the opposite effect and made us a bit angry the stuck is in the outdated smelly room.

Over, we enjoyed the beach and the service staff, but won't be returning to the resort again. I think I would look into one if the newer ones with hopefully better rooms.

Stayed March 2014
Parry Sound, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I wasn't going to write yet another review, as I think most things have been covered. One thing I had trouble finding information about though was the difference between the Riviera side and the Mayan Beach side, as well as what (if any) benefits there were to the Air Transat "Le Mirage" package, so I thought I would share my observations.
During our bus trip from the airport to the hotel, someone asked our guide what the difference between the two resorts was. He told them that one side is adults only, one side is for families. This is not true! Both sides have families, there were families at all pools, etc. There did not appear to be any areas that were designated as adults-only (topless sunbathing was allowed on the beach though, but not by the pools). On a side note about the shuttle to the hotel - again, we were Air Transat, so don't know if other companies are different, but we bought 4 beer from a vendor as we were getting on our bus - cost over $20. They sold beer & water & maybe pop on the bus for $1 each...
We had specifically requested 3 things as far as our rooms went (we were two couples) - 2 rooms with King Beds, near each other and in buildings 28 or 29. It was my understanding that the Le Mirage rooms were a small selection of some of the "nicer" rooms (well-placed), or were in certain buildings. The entire Mayan Beach side is for the "Distinction" or "Le Mirage" package, so you could be put anywhere. We were put in building 21, first floor. We were given rooms side by side, which was great, but one room had a King Bed, one had 2 Doubles. Without asking what our priorities were with our requests, the girl at check in tried to change our friends to a room with a King bed, but that entailed them moving to a different building. They were ok with the 2 double beds, in order to keep our rooms close together, so she put them back in the room they were originally assigned. We were a bit disappointed not to get our building request, but were told we could check back the next day & see if we could move. Once in our rooms, we decided to just stay-put. These rooms were very close to the pool and not a far walk to the main lobby/buffet and beach. We were never in them for long enough to worry about it too much.
The Le Mirage package included use of the safe for the week, as well as a bottle of Tequila. I can't recall if all rooms got bathrobes, but we did have bathrobes as well. Wifi was not included - well, except for 15 minutes, and I think you had to use it in the main lobby.
If I were to return to this resort, I would be ok with getting rooms in either the Riviera or Mayan Beach side - not enough of a difference to warrant paying more for the Le Mirage side. I think I would actually prefer the Riviera side - we enjoyed that pool a little bit more, and it seemed a little more lush and tropical around the rooms. As it turned out, the Le Mirage package was the only one available when we booked, so we just took what we could get.
One other note - DO NOT forget your towels or your towel cards when you are checking out. It is not enough to say you left them in the room, they WILL make you go back and get them! We waited on our bus back to the airport for 20 minutes for someone who forgot theirs in their room to go and get them and get them back to the front desk at check out, and ended up leaving without them!
Oh - and didn't touch a peso all week, used US and my credit card...
Happy to answer any questions!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was my first trip to Mexico 9 of us in total room no 216. It was truly a wonderful experience. Ofcourse the check in was very long even just two of us were there standing inline we arrived March 13th. Love the coffee shop and the SPA and the gym .I never felt so comfortable we had the best concierge Rubin and his team Merean I think a name was. RUBIN very professional always greeted us with a smile asked us always if everything was fine and good. We felt so welcomed the day we arrived and left. I would like to Thank Ruben concierge for taking care of us and rest of the concierge team in Bakalche.
The food was great , best AL CARTE was Cajun and Japanese not Mexican.. Infact Mexican day at the lobby was better.
The negative side not much seafood option I was hoping crabs and shrimps but not.
The couch bed was broken when we got there something to do with the springs. since my son was sleeping in another room with his cousins it didn't bother me. The shower was a bit weird even after closing the door the was would still get out but otherwise it was great Thank you Grand Sirenis management it was beautiful experience yes I would definitely come again. The great thing is that they do allow three kids in the room unlike other 5 star hotels which is weird because my kids are small I am not going to put them in another room and what's the point we barely stay I n the room . We just use it at night to sleep.

Room Tip: its great where ever you go it depends the need if you require spa and gym then the end rooms , if y...
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at this resort in March and thought based on the somewhat great sounding reviews that this was a fabulous place. However it is really over rated and not worthy of the five star rating it gets.

In general the food was okay lots of variety however having to walk at least a KM to get to the buffet is crazy, and no there were no trains running all week, so don't be fooled.

The restaurant on the beach has some great lunch items. The al la carts are the usual affair, nothing overly special.

Rooms

This is the biggest disappointment and while you only spend a little amount of time here the dated 70's furniture, ragged bedding, beds that sag and the giant see through opening into the washroom area is crazy. If you are a couple maybe you don't mind coming out of the shower in your birthday suit but having three teenagers in the room with us was awkward, not only for them, but for us too. There is just no privacy at all we had to hang a sheet up to get any. After addressing this with management and our vacation rep they moved us to a room with a frosted glass in the open of which the manager indicated only 30% of the rooms on the resort have according to him, really this is touted as a family resort.

The Beach

At best this beach is a 2 or 3 out of 10. It's rocky and there is little to no good sandy spots in or out of the water. On the other hand if you are into snorkelling there are excellent places to see lots of fish and rays.

Pools

This is a mostly a concrete jungle type resort not your typical Mexican feeling one. You might just think you are in Vegas instead of Mexico. Nothing special. The lazy river is an excellent thing to do and entertaining for the kids.

Other

The resort staff are awesome, always friendly and smiling, think about leaving a nice tip for the service they provide.

Ice cream bar, nice touch but maybe have a couple of people to station the shop the poor girl in there was so busy and the line up of people never seems to shrink.

If you are a coffee lovers beware that the coffee bar is not open early in the morning it mostly opened between 8-9 am, of course only with one poor girl there and a long line of caffeine deprived vacationers. The coffee was however excellent, so just be patient. Other than that you have to make the long trek to the buffet to get a take out coffee that was cold by the time you got any where or you can make a cup in the room.

We have been to the Mayan seven times and by far this was the most over rated resort we have ever been too, and we are not that picky, but we really noticed the difference and attention afford to the premier people and us common folk. From the special rooms, perks and personal golf carts it was unusual, sure I know if I want to pay for it I can, the resort could make it a little less obvious, the other resorts we have been to didn't seem to make this so obvious.

We will never be returning to the GS again, the concerns we had far out way any good price or reviews. Also, we found it very usual that resort staff approach us at check out and asked us to give a review on trip advisor, which we declined to do, is that why there are so may above average sounding reviews...these reviews swayed us initially when we did our research, but pay attention to the reoccurring themes in the less than stellar ones.

Room Tip: Get a room with frosted glass.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This resort was incredible! Incredible service, great food, great staff and a beautiful landscape. The rooms are a little dated but very clean and the buffet is great. I loved the theme nights at the resort and Samuel is the BEST bartender at the resort (main lobby) by far! Will definitely be coming back :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The grounds and landscaping are excellent - very lush and beautiful. Lots of birds and critters. Fantastic sheltered beach area with good snorkeling complete with reef, lots of fish and sea turtles are commonly seen at the beach to the far left.

We are average travelers in our 40's with 2 teenagers. My wife and I are early to bed early to rise. -We do not drinking much alcohol, however, we do enjoy a couple of drinks throughout the day and at night after dinner when on holiday south. And I enjoy a few cold beers on those beautiful hot days. I really like this resort - but the on tap beer is disgusting. It has played havoc with my system in the past, and after one sniff of it this year, I would not drink it. Not good having 7 days in the heat and can't have a cold beer. In fact this is completely unacceptable for a guest paying good money for their week in the sun. They have to get a variety of canned or bottled beer to offer guests - preferably some international beer, or at least Mexican brands - my conversations with most all other people travelling at other resorts is that there is a reasonable variety of canned beers i.e. Heineken, Corona, Bud available to guests. There are some bottles in the mini fridge in room - but it is not good beer - 3.5% alcohol and not good. I know others feel the same as we saw Canadians on the beach with their beach coolers and Molson Canadian beer they brought with them. The variety of mixed drinks is good - but boy do they splash the alcohol in and out of that glass fast - again this is not acceptable. We are mature adults looking to enjoy just a few quality drinks during the day, and this has to be rectified - or we will not return here for a 4th visit, which is too bad.

Beds in rooms are not good - very hard - but we could tolerate for a week because by the time your back got sore - we were ready to get up and out anyway.

Food is just fine. Yes - there is a fair bit of walking to get around but this is good for us as we want to be active and get some daily exercise.

Overall, we have always really enjoyed Grand Sirenis but I will not be going back if I can't expect to have a cold beer or two that is reasonable for consumption. Poor management decision when a 3 time guest/ family of 4 not likely to return because of this.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!