I wasn't going to write yet another review, as I think most things have been covered. One thing I had trouble finding information about though was the difference between the Riviera side and the Mayan Beach side, as well as what (if any) benefits there were to the Air Transat "Le Mirage" package, so I thought I would share my observations.
During our bus trip from the airport to the hotel, someone asked our guide what the difference between the two resorts was. He told them that one side is adults only, one side is for families. This is not true! Both sides have families, there were families at all pools, etc. There did not appear to be any areas that were designated as adults-only (topless sunbathing was allowed on the beach though, but not by the pools). On a side note about the shuttle to the hotel - again, we were Air Transat, so don't know if other companies are different, but we bought 4 beer from a vendor as we were getting on our bus - cost over $20. They sold beer & water & maybe pop on the bus for $1 each...
We had specifically requested 3 things as far as our rooms went (we were two couples) - 2 rooms with King Beds, near each other and in buildings 28 or 29. It was my understanding that the Le Mirage rooms were a small selection of some of the "nicer" rooms (well-placed), or were in certain buildings. The entire Mayan Beach side is for the "Distinction" or "Le Mirage" package, so you could be put anywhere. We were put in building 21, first floor. We were given rooms side by side, which was great, but one room had a King Bed, one had 2 Doubles. Without asking what our priorities were with our requests, the girl at check in tried to change our friends to a room with a King bed, but that entailed them moving to a different building. They were ok with the 2 double beds, in order to keep our rooms close together, so she put them back in the room they were originally assigned. We were a bit disappointed not to get our building request, but were told we could check back the next day & see if we could move. Once in our rooms, we decided to just stay-put. These rooms were very close to the pool and not a far walk to the main lobby/buffet and beach. We were never in them for long enough to worry about it too much.
The Le Mirage package included use of the safe for the week, as well as a bottle of Tequila. I can't recall if all rooms got bathrobes, but we did have bathrobes as well. Wifi was not included - well, except for 15 minutes, and I think you had to use it in the main lobby.
If I were to return to this resort, I would be ok with getting rooms in either the Riviera or Mayan Beach side - not enough of a difference to warrant paying more for the Le Mirage side. I think I would actually prefer the Riviera side - we enjoyed that pool a little bit more, and it seemed a little more lush and tropical around the rooms. As it turned out, the Le Mirage package was the only one available when we booked, so we just took what we could get.
One other note - DO NOT forget your towels or your towel cards when you are checking out. It is not enough to say you left them in the room, they WILL make you go back and get them! We waited on our bus back to the airport for 20 minutes for someone who forgot theirs in their room to go and get them and get them back to the front desk at check out, and ended up leaving without them!
Oh - and didn't touch a peso all week, used US and my credit card...
Happy to answer any questions!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Akumal, Mexico