“Great for families!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“Great for families!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We just spent two weeks at this hotel (room 2033) from Feb 19th-March 4th and would certainly recommend it to anyone travelling with children. The things we really liked include the following: The staff were amazing and super accommodating. A special shout out to Esau, one of the managers who accommodated our need to have extra buckets for ice and kept our ice packs frozen for our son's medication. This may not seem like much, but without his assistance, we could have had a medical emergency on our hands. Our housekeeper Laydi was awesome!!! We had tons of medical supplies/medication and never once worried that things would go astray.
The relaxing pool was great to get away and was never crowded, so you could just relax and chill out. The beach was also great so long as you were careful where you walked. The small cove furthest away from the resort had great snorkeling and we were pleased to see the sea turtles almost every time we went out.
The buffets were what you would expect for an all inclusive but no complaints. We went to the a few restaurants, our favorites were the Japanese and Brazilian.
There are a few things that were minor that lots have shared already. The beds are hard, but they will provide a pad if you request one. People saving sun chairs was a drag, but that is on the tourists, not the hotel. If everyone would just use the chair when they needed it, this issue of saving chairs would stop. The last thing to be aware of is the buildings are made of concrete so echo loudly. If you are a light sleeper this might not be a good choice of hotel for you.
Overall we had a great trip. It was in the minus 30-40's Celsius back home while we were there, so really...what is there to complain about.

Room Tip: We were in room 2033. It was close to the lobby, pools, lazy river and for us the walk to the beach...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,976)
  • Polish first
Winnipeg Beach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya from March 1st - March 8th for a family wedding. Overall it was a very nice resort. Beautiful sprawling property that was kept very clean. Very big resort and was a little overwhelming at first but once you walked around you found short cuts to make it easier to get to different places. Service was amazing from the time we checked in to the moment we left.

Breakfast buffet located by the pool (Steak House) was very good. Lots of options and it was never too busy. Breakfast buffet located by the lobby was also very good but almost too big so by the time you sat down with your food it was cold. The restaurant by the pool (Steak House) transforms into a lunch buffet with a lot of great options from burgers and hot dogs to salads and pasta and much more. There is a also a snack shack located close to the lazy river with the same type of food. Be sure to eat lunch between 12-3 otherwise it clears out pretty quick and you may have to wait for dinner to get a decent meal. The dinner buffet had lots of choices but by the end of the week you tend to get sick of it so take advantage of the A la Cartes. I am not picky at all so I was pretty happy with the food but many in our group of 22 said the buffet food was just average.

Many A La Carte restaurants to choose from. We tried the Steak House, Cajun, Japanese and Italian. Never had a problem getting a reservation even for large groups of 10-12 people. Japanese and Italian were my personal favorites. I would try the Cajun again but perhaps a different dish as I was not overly impressed with my Fettuccine Alfredo. Steak House was my least favorite, service was fine but food was not that great.

Avoid the complimentary room service food if you can. Although it comes fast (15 min) it was not very good.

Coffee Shop opened up at 8:00 am and was the best place by far to get a coffee. There was a lovey lady Bianca who worked there every morning, usually a bit of a line up but worth it!

The ice cream parlor was on the opposite side of the hotel (Mayan Beach side) so we never made it there :( They did have a soft serve ice cream machine in the pool restaurant during lunch on the Riviera Maya side.

Bars

Plenty of bars all around the resort with a wide selection of drinks to choose from. Each bar has friendly servers who come around quite often. Big shout out to Leydi who works the pool bar by day and the lobby by in the evening! Lobby Bar closes right at 1:00 am so the only place to get a drink after was the disco. Disco was extremely far from the Riviera Maya side so you had to take a golf cart. I went twice but stayed a total of 10 minutes each time. They only seemed to play loud techno music rather than top 40 club music. Our group was between the ages of 31 - 60 and nobody was thrilled with the disco, perhaps for the younger generation.

Room

Room was extremely large and always clean. Each room has a large jacuzzi tub and each guest gets a comfortable robe to use. I lucked out and got a King Size bed somehow however it seems only available upon request as most people in our group got 2 doubles. Mini-fridge is stocked daily with water, pop and beer. Room temperature was very cold but you could adjust the air conditioning to your likeness.

Pool

Wonderful service at the swim up bar pool from Diego and Ibanue! Pool is open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. At 11:00 am the loud music starts and the entertainment staff hold fun activities for all ages. We never had a problem reserving pool loungers, simply throw your towel over one and it's yours for the day. Lots of action going on at the swim up bar pool so is this is not your thing there is a quiet pool closer to the lazy river.

Beach

Beach was nice however not ideal for swimming as the shore was quite rocky. I suggest to bring a pair of water shoes if you wish to go in. Many in our group went snorkeling right off the shore in front of the hotel and said it was wonderful. Lots of beach loungers but if you wish to get a beach hut or chair close to the water I suggest you go early as they filled up fast.

Lazy River

Lots of fun but after 11:00 am got quite busy and there was a bit of a wait for the tubes. If you are a teen or an adult use the clear tubes and you will have a more enjoyable ride! Lots of kids use the lazy river which was fine with me but if you are looking for a relaxing, quiet activity this is not the place for you! And just a heads up there is no one who brings you drinks while you're floating down the river so bring your own! LOL

Nightly Entertainment

There was a show each night although we only attended the Saturday Night Beach party. Lots of fun and high energy entertainment staff. Many in our group found the theater too loud so we mainly hung out in the lobby bar in the evening where there was a lounge singer.

Location

Although the hotel was quite far from the airport it was very close to Playa Del Carmen (30 min cab ride) as well as Akumal (10 min cab ride) I recommend heading to 5th Ave in PDC for the shopping although go in the evening as it is a bit cooler. We also checked out a cool beach bar in Akumal called La Buena Vida. Lots of fun!

Wedding

The wedding we attended was absolutely gorgeous and they were very accommodating to the entire wedding group, particularly the wedding party . The ceremony was right on the beach and beautifully decorated. It was off to the side so it was pretty private. Very nice place if you are looking to plan a destination wedding.

Improvements

The only thing I would suggest to change about the hotel is to add a better sports bar. They had a room with a few pool tables and a couple televisions set on soccer but other resorts I've stayed at had actual sports bars with many tvs were you could order drinks and get snacks as well. It would be nice if they had something like this so we could watch NHL hockey.

Couple of things to be aware of:

-The hotel gift shop does not take American cash (pesos, credit card or room charge only)
-there is an extra charge for the room safe
-there is an extra charge for WiFi
-bathroom floor in the room is extremely slippery when wet

Overall the hotel is very nice and suitable for all ages. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Keep your patio doors closed, lots of critters about! (iguanas, raccoon like animals called coaties)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and myself first visited Grand Sirenis in October 2013 and enjoyed it so much we came back in March.this for us is unusual because we very rarely return to a place once we have visited.having traveled the world I have lots of places with which I can compare and believe me this hotel can hold its own with anywhere we have been,the staff are pleasant and helpful and their uniforms are always crisp and clean,there is no end of variety of food choice,all beautifully cooked and presented.the entertainment is varied and performed with lots of enthusiasm.all in all a wonderful experience,thank you to all the staff for a great time.

Room Tip: If physically impaired,then a room near the lobby may be best,but if you like a stroll after a meal...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Summerville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We just returned from a one week vacation at this resort and enjoyed every minute of it. Our concierge Oscar Arroyo was very helpful in arranging our dinners and suggesting tours that were of interest to us. The resort was beautiful with the layout and the natural foliage. The rooms were large, clean, and comfortable. The food was very good in the dining room and in the a la carte restaurants. All staff whom we interacted with were warm and caring. They took care of you whether you were at the pool, beach, lounges, or entertainment area. We plan to return for another vacation

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Just got back this morning from a two week stay here an got to say what a fabulous hotel. Some of the reviews before we went wasn't great so I was a bit worried , I just wonder if people only write on trip advisor to moan . The staff were wonderful from the cocierge to the bar staff to the waiters to receptionist I wish I could name you all individually but big shout for Samuel Clemente in lobby bar Nicholas in beach barthsy never stop an always have time for a chat natividad who worked waiting on round beach bar became our friend and her English wasn't even that good but we managed to chat everyday , the rooms were great comfy bed good shower spotless clean and as for musty smells its in the Caribbean it's damp and humid all the time, the grounds pools and lazy river are gorgeous kept spotless all the time am do inviting . The food was a bit same same ant it is a big resort so the buffet is massive but I always enjoyed the food and had no problem booking a la carte restaurants but maybe staying for two weeks makes that easier. Sun beds round the beach were a bit sparse if you needed cover but I got one everyday an with three pools I can't imagine not finding one there either. A beautiful hotel with amazing staff and a fabulous holiday had by me and my husband . Nothing is ever perfect !!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed at Grand Sirenis last week of February-beginning of March. I have to agree with most of the previous reviews.
The check-in was way too long, considering that they had 3 desks and few people to check in. We travelled with 7 yrs old, the air condition did not work in the bus from the airport and no one at the reception desk cared to inform where we could get a drink or speed up the check in. I found out later on that the reception in main lobby did not have much to do - all bookings, reservations and issues were done by the concierge in each building. That means they have a lot of time to make everything ready for the new guests arriving, but obviously they don't use that time efficiently.
The rooms are very big, maybe a little outdated, but we did not go there to sit in the room. There was a glass insert between room and washroom- not a big problem, I actually liked it since I did not have to go inside to check on my boy whle he was taking a bath or brushing his teeth.
We got a bottle of tequila when we arrived and later a second one. There was always coffee, if we needed more I did not bother calling concierge- I did go to there desk for more myself, always got it with no problems. They did not give as a spoon as someone mentioned before. There were 4 of us and we got only two glassess so I brought some from the bar.
The a la carte- you better book it as soon as you can. I booked them on our second day, got what I wanted, but all reservations were late- 8:30 PM. We went to Mediterranean- was the worst a la carte I'd ever been to. Long wait, not to many choices, the seafood caserole made of tomato paste and tasted exactly same as the seafood soup my husband ordered before. The shrimps were tossed in it whole, with head and shell, not even pre-cut. Chicken quater with the leg just fried in the oil, too hard to bite. I've seen some good reviews about this restaurant, I guess the cook had a bad day:) The Brasilian was awesome, lots of meat. I just don't understand why they gave us menu ( I wanted a fish and asked what kind of fish they had) and then they served same meat to everyone. Even though it wasn't what I wanted it was delicious. Japanese- by many considered the best one, was OK. Again a long wait since they have 6 tables and 3 chefs, we have to wait for the first table to be served. Our chef wasn't very good, I was glad he was using only one knive to throw since he still needed more practice. The food was good though.
I loved the beach, but if you want to go for a walk you need water shoes and be aware of iguanas.
It is huge complex and required a lot of walking, but you can find the short cuts. I loved it since every day I discovered something new.
The food was good, I love cheese and they had a lot of it. I wish there were more fruits- they offered only bananas, pineapple, watermelon, grapefruit, papaya,oranges. No freshly squizeed juice in the morning. It comes from dispensers so I doubt is fresh.
There was not enough staff in the buffet. To get a coffee or tea we had to wait sometimes a long time. The waiters were working hard but couldn't keep up. Many times I just went to their little station to grab a spoon, fork or glass that was missing on our table.
We had no problem finding something new to eat every day.
There are 2 stores- one in Maya Beach lobby( smaller, but I was able to pay with US$)and bigger in Riviera Maya (you can use credit card).
We loved the pools and lazy river.
Overall we had a good time and we planning to go there again.

Room Tip: We were on third floor, it gives you good view and you don't hear all the noise from the main fl...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Trail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My Husband and I got married here with a group of 41 people! I just want to say it was amazing here I would recomend this to everyone the staff are great all so friendly and helpful! Our wedding cordinator Tania was awesome she was so helpful prio to the wedding and while we where there we can thank her enough out day honestley went PERFECT we wouldnt have changed a single thing, It is a huge resort and so much to do you dont have people walking alo9ng the beach trying to sell you things but the vendors do come into the resort you can buy from and it was great. The food was awesome we went to the Freanch(you have to pay) but omg it is to die for so good great service I just cant say it enougyh if you are on the fence about going here GO GO GO its so good you will not regret it! Room was kept so good you juist give a small tip and they treat you like GOLD! Our check in did take a bit but who cares your in MEXICO! We also had 41 people checking in and it is spring break. I just LOVE it here and would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!