“Grand It is not!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“Grand It is not!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was the first time I have ever been to Mexico. I would go back to Mexico but not to this hotel. EVER!!!! The resort looks nice enough and most the of the staff are helpful, but there were only a few that went totally out of the way to provide great service. Upon check in you are told that it is all-inclusive - bar, restaurants, room fridge and room service. That the room is provided with a safe and yes they have WI-FI. What they don't tell you is that you have to pay for the safe and WI-FI unless you book a Junior Suite with a little more perks. Also tried to order room service and was told that anything we ordered we would be charged. The food in the Buffet was not bad but not great either. The El a' Carte restaurants were just OK except for the Italian restaurant...totally disgusting. Our server was the worst out of the servers we had. He was rude and tried to rush us when ordering. Our food was served cold and I do not know what they used for the meat but it was not hamburger. Upon sending it back they asked what was wrong we told them that it was cold and had a aweful taste to it; they then asked if we wanted it heated in the microwave or wanted to order something else but by this time we were done. My nephew actually had food poisoning from this restaurant. The conceirge for our building was not very knowledgable either. We booked a sailing trip and he told us that we would be back by 2pm - we were back @ 7pm and we left @ 7am. Our room itself was pretty clean but this hotel needs to provide fresh crisp linen everyday especially when the humidity is high and they need to ensure that their air conditioning units work properly. We could never get ours to work. If it weren't for the people we went on vacation with this vacation would have been terrible.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi Cynthia K,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Grand Sirenis. It enlivens me to read your good comments about our staff as we put a lot of effort and resources to achieve so.

Some of the points you mention such us Wi-Fi and safe just depend on the package you acquire, some include it and others don’t. I don’t understand your comments about having to book a junior suite with more perks as our room standard is junior suite, which means not having to pay an extra charge to enjoy our more than 60m² rooms.

Talking about the buffet I would like to explain we have more than 50 options of cold and hot dishes plus a pasta, fish and meat show-cooking every day. I feel sorry you didn’t enjoy it as much as we would have liked, and I would like to offer you an apology about the service deficiencies that you experienced; your comments are more than welcome and have been passed to the departments involved.

It is important for me to let know that we are certified with the Cristal International Standard and have spent all performed health checks from the state authorities as well as travel agents, besides we are audited periodically. Our chefs, our quality control department and the general management ourselves are constantly checking temperatures during the service to control that all food we serve meets all safety standards.

Let me also tell you that linen is changed every day unless guests decide to not have the room done by placing de do-not-disturb sign on the door’s lock.

I hope I have helped feeding your comments and I’m really looking forward to seeing you back again. Thank you again, Cynthia K, for your time and do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything at assistantmngr.mx@sirenishotels.com.

Jorge Viñuela
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,277)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Gran Sirenis for 10 days. 10 amazing days! You could spend all of your time on the actual hotel grounds but there are so many amazing things to do and see within 30 minutes. The Mayan people are so warm and kind, the service was excellent and the rooms were very comfortable. The all inclusive factor made it seem like we were kids in a candy store!! Food at the 5 star buffet everyday, ice cream at Tortuga ice cream shop, coffee at the little café by the pool...on and on and on! The food was REALLY good and plentiful!! So...10 days of wandering around the grounds, snorkeling on the hotels beach, drinking, dining, taking part in the many activities without pulling your wallet out once. Paradise!!! For the best adventure....Xplor theme park. We loved every minute of our visit at Gran Sirenis.
Kim and Doug Jones

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that are located on the path to the Disco. It closes at 2:00 am and the peo...
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our family spent 9 nights at the Grand Sirenis from Jan. 18 thru Jan. 27, 2014. The resort and grounds are beautiful. We all had a blast getting to know a lot of the staff. Roman at the Steak House actually went home one night to translate what we talked about the day before so we could understand each other better. Humberto at the Steak House makes a great omelet. If you plan to scuba, swim with the turtles or use a wave runner you NEED to find Goyo on the beach. After the first conversation with him he became my "go to" friend to get things in motion. Swimming with the sea turtles was incredible!-thanks Goyo!! Salvadore, Diego, Laidy and Enube at the beach bars and pool #1 bar took great care of us and always had a smile a drink waiting. Every staff member from beginning to end greeted us with a smile and provided excellent service. We were able to eat at all of the restaurants, some are better than others but all are good or great. Be sure to take water shoes, beach is beautiful but you will walk on rocks to get to the water. Our room was on the second floor of building 1800. The room was perfect, NO issues at all. We had a killer view of the ocean from the balcony and the pool was only steps away. I would highly recommend this resort! Tipping goes a long way to get even better service.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1844, Junior Sweet with Partial Ocean View, second floor with great ocean view. I...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Hotel was beautifully maintained both beach, pools, rooms etc. The grounds were perfect. The day entertainment depended on who was delivering it, Roberto, Archie, and Burto were fab as poolside entertainment, the night time entertainment was good if you want to watch shows every night, it would have been good to have a karaoke.
Spa was fantastic just used hydrotherapy pools wheel worth £7 each.
Room clean and tidy, all repairs were fixed straightaway, no problems there.
Food was meant to be 4/5 star food was nice, good selection but after nearly 2 weeks I got sick of the same food on offer, pizza, steaks etc. had food poisoning never been so unwell ever, could have picked bug up from anywhere so don't blame hotel, but made eating for a further 3 days very difficult indeed.
Daily activities were good archery and bike ride with Jesus and Amos, would have liked to ride bike off the hotel grounds tho.
Al carte food was not that impressive, other than the steak house and Carlos our waiter who showed great motivation and energy at his job without expecting a tip.
Beach fantastic great snorkelling seen stingray, turtles and squid so don't pay to go on trip to see turtles as right on your doorstop. Went to Huge water park with plenty to do, cliff jumping, snorkelling, tight ropes, zip lines etc fantastic place to visit called Xhal well worth the money.
Things I didn't like in hotel, having no free wifi, having to pay for safe in room which was £60 for two weeks.
It was a lovely holiday and a good experience but would not go back to this hotel as we have stayed there already.
Finally bell boy Edgar was fantastic in offering advice as spoke brilliant English and JC who booked our al a carte bookings.
If your booked to go here you will have a fab time, I'm sure
Just to finally say I tipped staff who wouldn't normally get tipped like the gardeners who work none stop and who clear the beach of coral rock to stop you cutting your feet open, one guy must have been 65 years old at least and worked all day, at the end of the day all the staff contribute to the running of the hotel. I tipped this guy £5 which was probs his daily pay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Kenora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

When we arrived, Fernando at the front desk made upgrading our room and checking in an ease. The hotel is spectacular, with modern architecture and although a large complex, getting from place to place is easy, either by shuttle or on foot.
The pools are great. The swim up bars are fun in the afternoon, with music and games. FOOD, what can I say, there is excellent food to satisfy every type of diet. The buffets are a gastronomic delight. The beach bar severs burgers and hot dogs etc. which hit the spot.
All of the bars offer excellent service and a variety of ordinary drinks or special cocktails. Try the Mayan Coffee in the main lower lobby after supper. it is spectacular to see it created.
Any time we were going out of the resort, Fernando the valet always got us on the right bus ans always had a smile. This young man made the trip special. Salvador our room service person left us towel figures daily and always left the room spotless.
Damian our tour representative booked all our side trips and a la carte dining. Everything went like clockwork. Everyone should experience Tulum, Cenote snorkelling, rappelling and zip lining.
All the tours had prompt on time pick up and delivery back to the resort in time for supper.
While there my wife had a foot massage. Gaudaloupe was very gentle but firm with her feet and pointed out a medical problem the my wife is having repaired.
At checkout, Karla processed our bill quickly and made sure we had all our baggage and that we were satisfied with our stay
I would stay there again and highly recommend this resort to everyone.

Room Tip: We booked a regular room initially, but for a few dollars more upgraded to ocean view when we got th...
Royston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our trip to sirenis was lovely I found all the staff there were so nice and helpful

Room
Was good size lovely bathroom with shower whirlpool bath room cleaned every day mini bar had coke fanta sprite coke zero and beers in every day the bed was massive and very comfortable and nice pillows too the only down side was the view wasn't great

We tried the Brazilian which was lovely great skewers of meat all the meats you could think off steak house was great as well really nice quality steaks and best off all the Japanese teppenyaki was the best in my opinion you all sat round the grill and gave your orders and the would do a show on the grill setting it on fire and juggling there cutlery ect the food was lovely there too and the buffet was just as nice fresh fish and meat every day cooked just the way you liked it my girlfriend is quite fussy and she had no problem eating in there

Drinks
The drinks were lovely the amount of different cocktails are available and if there is any thing you want they will make it for you the best bar men by far was Samuel ant the tequila lobby bar he would always make us his own special cocktails that were different every time but just so nice and before you could finish the first ther was already another 1 waiting they have all the international brands like jack Daniels, jim bean , Morgan spiced, absolute vodka , just some of my favourites but you do have to ask for them , if you say vodka and coke you will get the cheap stuff the pool bar was so good not many international drinks there but the cocktails were good and Diego and Salvador were so good to us you could really have a laugh with them and leydi was really nice as well

Entertainment
Was really good as well round the party pool they play music all day there are quiet pools if your boring . And they would do activities like water aerobics , water polo , tequila volly ball , beer drinking competitions loads of stuff that kept us entertained Archie and Jesus were really nice and kept every 1 entertained the nite entertainment was good if you like shows they had loads on like lion king , grease , rock nite , loads but can't remember we're all really good and you could see there was a lot of effort been put in

Beach
Was lovely clear waters if you go round to the the left there a lot less stones but your further from he bar so up to you you can go snorkelling and see all the fish and turtles the beach bar food was lovely proper Mexican fajitas and meats and chips there not a great variety at the beach but its lovely

I could write so much more but I don't want to be 1 of these people that write an essay and no one can be bothered to read it lol

There was 1 complaint about a member of our concierge Enrique was very grumpy and would just stare as you walked past I found him very off putting ,but hopefully he won't be there next time would recomend. To any 1

Room Tip: I would choose block 17 close too all the action
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for two weeks on my first trip to Mexico. The only thing I can say is this resort is absolutely brilliant. The entertainers were great. Familiarising themselves with the guest and making friendships with them. I find this very important because it makes guests feel more welcome and valued in the hotel. There was a variety of shows on which were all very well rehearsed and performed to a high professional level. I found the entertainers made my day everyday!! The food in the resort is good. There is a variety of options. But after 2 weeks it does get repetitive and boring. The a la carte restaurants are good however my favourite was the steakhouse. I was not too keen on Italians. There is so much to do in this hotel and the staff are fabulous. You are never short of a drink in hand. Id love to come back to this hotel again with my partner. I couldn't have asked for a better trip! Thank you Grand Sirenis!!!

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!