“Very large complex but plenty to do” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Truro, United Kingdom
“Very large complex but plenty to do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Beware-this is a detailed review!

Flight:
We paid the extra £170 per person to go Premium Club with Thomson and it was worth every penny. Both myself and my husband are nervous flyers so from faster check in to extra space on the plane this made all the difference and we would now take this option every time!

Transfer:
We went for a coach transfer for the first time this year and it will definitely be our last. Our coach was air conditioned and not in bad condition. We stopped at 4 other hotels on the way and the second to last transfer nearly 3hours later!!!

Hotel:
We arrived at our hotel where we had yet another 30 minute wait-the staff were extremely slow and for a '5 star' hotel there were no hot towels or friendly welcomes and in replacement we were checked in and told where our room was on what appeared to be a very large map!
When I looked to book our hotel we prefer to go for smaller hotels so I look at the room numbers. This place seemed much bigger than I thought and then I realised in the holiday brochures it only quotes the rooms at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya and not its sister hotel (on the same complex) that has the same number of rooms again! It is not made clear AT ALL by the tour operators how these hotels are set up. We booked all inclusive at the resort expecting to have paid the price for the best package we could buy. In fact there is a Premium club that the hotel try to sell you during your stay, there are day beds roped off on the beach, as well as separate rooms and a restaurant in the main complex that are solely for their use. You get asked if you want to go to a breakfast to look at 'the other side' and if you do you get a discounted spa treatment etc. we declined a handful of times.

Rooms:
Our standard junior suite (2421) was much large than we had expected. The bed was huge, however don't be fooled-it was extremely hard and I dont know when the sheet were last dry cleaned - you needed a free bar to be able to get any sleep, I used my flight pillow to get me through the 2weeks! Our jet bath so nice to jump into after a day in the hot sun. We did have a hole in the wall between the bedroom and bathroom, however there is frosted glass for the toilet and shower. We didn't mind this, however some couples/families may have a issue. The only alcohol the minibar stocks is beer and there are no snacks in the room. You can order drinks on room service but there is a charge and some food is free of charge but we did this one night expecting the same as the restaurant food but it was awful. The rooms are cleaned every day and towels replaced.

Concierge:
Each set of building has 2 dedicated concierge staff every day that book you into your al a carte restaurants and offer any other services. They are very helpful and ours actually bought me some cream for my heat rash out of his own money before he started work the following day-I had to force him to take the money back and a tip! My husband booked the lobster dinner evening as a surprise for our wedding anniversary. The meal was lovely-I've never seen so much lobster and the service was perfect! When we got back to our room my husband was disappointed, apparently in the package we were supposed to have candles, rose petals, a bubble bath etc.and breakfast in bed in the morning but we had nothing. In the morning my frustrated husband went to the concierge to find out what had happened and apparently the trainee concierge made a mistake and only booked the meal. We had it rearranged for another night. When it did happening was lovely and such a great option to book, however once again in the morning they brought us a Mexican breakfast with black coffee instead of the Continental with white tea and coffee, Tacos are the last thing we wanted to see at 8am.

Pool & Beach:
We used all the pools and beach. Our favourites were the quiet pool and the party pools with swim up bar. The sport staff are so good and work ridiculous hours to entertain you on a consistent basis. Not usually partaking in group activities we particularly enjoyed the Tequila volleyball and pre-evening shows!
Take your snorkelling kit! We took one set and bought another whilst there, the beach sports team only have 3 sets for over 3000 guests. We stayed to the left hand side as it was quieter and the sand softer. No need to pay for the turtle swim-they feed off the sea bed just off the beach and you see plenty-this was amazing and we couldn't believe the tropical fish right on your doorstep!

Spa:
We were sold a spa deal by the pool, we went for a couples massage on the beach with 2hrs in the spa for just over £100 for 2, definitely worth it! The spa is not to be missed!

Restaurants:
Mediterranean- avoid. Rude staff who try to clear you out of the restaurant as fast as possible. I had the moussaka which was slices of aubergine and tomato with bread crumbs urgh.
Cajun-lovely. With prawn starters and lovely main choices this was one of our favourites.
Mexican-lovely. The spice is always an option on the side so you don't have to worry about not food. And the staff were very friendly
Japanese-ok. The menu was good and you get some great entertainment from the chef, however the waiter got all of our starters mixed up (table of 10) and the main meals were quite bland.
Steakhouse-ok. The menu was good again and my steak was massive but extremely tough and overlooked.
Buffet-Good. The themed buffets were great and something for everyone, can't complain there. You have a card on your table in the evening telling you the caribe for a bottle of wine-this is a hotel trick for extra cash!!! It's free-just order by the glass! Again the waiters are very good and work so hard -6 days a week.

Overall given the size of the complex we were pleasantly surprised we had a nice holiday. We wouldn't return to the same hotel again, however highly recommend it to young families or large groups.
One other word of warning-there is a disco on site and we had 2nights that we were kept up at 3 am due to holiday makers shouting in the corridors after returning from the club!

I have so much more advice so please get in touch with any questions or tips.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,965)
  • Polish first
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and i went on our honeymoon and had an amazing time. The resort is huge with numerous pools, beach, games room etc plenty of things to do during the day with activities on at pool all day.

Hotel staff was excellant and service was great esp Jonthan our concierge who was so helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I along with several friends recently stayed at the Grand Sirenis for a friend’s wedding. The resort itself is very large but the rooms are situated in such a way that if you take certain walking paths you are very close to everything. All the employees we encountered were very nice and helpful! The rooms are very nice, very large and very clean. The staff does an amazing job cleaning the room daily and also has a turn down service daily.

The pools were very nice although the smaller pool could have used more chairs. The lazy river is okay but odd because it ends and you have to get out to start over if you want to continuously go around and they are lacking in floats so you normally have to wait for one. The other issue was the pool entertainment. It didn’t start until 10AM and then ended at 4PM. After 4PM there was no music at the pool and you couldn’t play any games. They also do several trivia games throughout the day where they stop the music….these games went on waaaay to long. The swim up bars are very convenient and they have a wide variety of mixed/blended beverages. The only beer at the resort is Corona but they do have plenty of it. The food was overall very good. Each buffet had a wide variety of choices for each meal. While there we had dinner at 3 of the A la Carte restaurants. The Mexican restaurant was by far the best food we ate while at the resort. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant which was a close second. The steak restaurant was okay and the Cajun restaurant was horrible. They resort also offers an ice cream parlor which was decent, just be sure to ask for two scoops because one is so small, more like a kiddie cone. The spa also has a small restaurant you can get sandwiches and fresh fish and meat selections cooked on the spot. Everything we had there was really good. They resort also offers a limited menu for room service available daily until 11PM which was very nice and convenient for breakfast or a late night snack.

While at the resort we took advantage of the free water therapy at the spa which was really great…highly recommended. After the therapy my husband and I also decided to get a couples message which was wonderful. The therapist we very nice and did a wonderful job. If you want to take advantage of any of the spa treatments be sure to ask the price as a hotel guest because they are cheaper than the prices listed on their brochure.

We also took advantage of the free snorkeling which was awesome…we saw so many fish and turtles really close to shore. The snorkeling at our resort was better than the snorkel trip we took off the property.

The theater/nightly entertainment was mediocre at best. The shows were pretty boring and hard to sit through. That said Friday and Saturday they have a bunch of vendors and shopping at the resort which was nice. The prices were decent and there were some nice things to choose from.

As I said before we were at the resort for a friend’s wedding. The resort did an amazing job. My friends were married on the beach which was private and beautiful. They entire ceremony was very organized and well put together. After the ceremony we took pictures, and had appetizers and champagne on the beach. After the wedding we went to the hotel bar for drinks and waited for the discoteca to open. The problem was the discoteca opened daily at 11PM. After a full day in the sun it is hard to stay up late enough to hit the discoteca. Needless to say the entire wedding after party ended early and didn’t make it to the dance floor because of the late opening time.

All-in-all it was a great resort with several amenities and food options. I think this resort is great for families, couples and large groups.

Room Tip: I believe for a $30 fee you can upgrade to an ocean front room. My friend had a partial ocean front...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oak Brook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When I was there the internet connection would not connect. They did do a good job with the wedding. I put the do not disturb sign on the handle they were cleaning anyway. I did love the safe though. They brought some treats up left them overnight found ants on the table and plate. They had somehow gotten to the 3rd floor. I really didn't enjoy the way the bathroom was. V shaped almost clear glass was the only thing that prevented from seeing into the bathroom. I honestly dont want to hear someone dropping a well you know. Please get more channels in english on the tv. Went to the lazy river at 6:00 the current had stopped. Why not keep it open later in the summer when there is more sunlight. Some of the food i got was dried out. Rice was crusty on top. The snorkeling was awesome. Got the equipment for 1 hour free. Though the ride to the resort would be closer to cancun airport. When we got there it took us 2 hours for them to get our bags to our room. When leaving they put our bags in the common welcome area. By the main area there was no ac. Thought it would be better then what I read. I will not be back though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved our stay at Grand Sirenis. We were a family of 4 - two adults and two teenagers. Chose this resort because of lazy river and beach/snorkeling location. Did not disappoint. We snorkeled every day right off the beach. Bring your own equipment so you are not limited to one hour. Easy entry and nice variety of fish, also sea turtles and rays. Tried five a la cart restaurants (concierge was nice to include two more than we were told we could have)! Steakhouse - best!, Brazilian - 2nd, Italian - great, Cajun - great, Japanese - fun and tasty! Did breakfast buffet at El Ranchero - nice pool view and not as busy as lobby buffet. Loved the complimentary lobster beach dinner given through our travel agency, Apple, including live music and entertainment. Saw one monkey, wild pig family, raccoons, iguanas, lizards and hermit crabs. Loved our room location in Block 1800 -easy to walk to everything! Was clean and beds were not uncomfortable (had toppers). Water spa treatment was complimentary and fabulous. Ice Cream shop and juice bar were delicious. This resort had everything! Employees could not have been nicer. Don't forget to do the bike ride and archery! The shows were entertaining and lively. Liked Lion King, Chicago and Rock and Roll shows. Go to Xplor if you have time-amazing caves and zip-lining.

Room Tip: 1800 Block, third floor, glass block between bedroom and bathroom
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here for 13 days with family, friends and 3 teens (11 of us). Having been to Mexico several times, I know hands down about 5 star resorts and I agree with other reviews that this is not a 5 star hotel but beautiful one none the less. My parents (in their 60's) needed a room that required convenience to the pool, beach, restaurants etc... so I called ahead to see if we could all stay at Naam Building 29 as people on this site told us it was great access to everything. When we arrived a day later than the other guests in our party, upon checking in, they had no rooms available in the same building as my family and so we were upgraded to the Premium suites for the evening. This was an amazing room and couldn't pass it up. The premium suites apparently have top shelf liquor but when I tried opening up the Don Julio tequila, it had so much hard residue on the top of the bottle and it wasn’t sealed or tasted like Don Julio (hmmm). The premium rooms are further away from everything but nicer rooms for sure. We checked out of the room at 1000am per the request of the reception but we couldn’t get into our other room until 4pm so that was irritating due to them having our suitcases.
HOTEL: This hotel is large with plenty of walking! I wouldn't recommend it for the elderly due to not being able to always get a golf cart to transport you to restaurants etc (even if you call for one). The 3rd night at the hotel we all head to the buffet for dinner. After we eat, while leaving the area with my mom, she slips on some food that was left on the floor and tares her hamstring (which we didn’t know at the time, we thought she messed up her hip). A doctor had to be called, due to her going into shock from the pain and was transported to Playa Del Carmen's hospital where she had to spend the night to run tests. Luckily my husband speaks Spanish, and went with her to make the translation easier. Of course, this put a huge dampener on our vacation and seeing as the hotel is 20 miles away from the nearest hospital, we had to pick her up in a taxi which was very painful, and uncomfortable on her injury. Please, please be careful with this hotel and all the slippery tiles. We heard of so many people injuring themselves due to either excessive water from the rain, food on the floor, or the type of soap they use to clean the tile (make sure you have travel insurance, her stay was $2,500 for the night at the hospital). After her fall, she was less mobile and found it difficult to get around. The hotel doesn’t have a wheel chair and luckily the hospital gave her a walker (zimmer) to get around. The manager called and the concierge Alex also called to check on my mom and the manager told her not to hesitate to call if she needed anything. What is it that she needs when she’s confined to a hotel room? We have room service in all inclusive!!! This in itself is bad customer service. Word of mouth is a great advertising tool and at this point, nothing good is coming from our mouths about this whole incident. We were approached daily from the buffet staff who witnessed her fall and that in itself was greatly appreciated because THEY sincerely cared. Even the next morning at breakfast, I saw pieces of food on the floor that was waiting for an accident to happen! PLEASE CLEAN UP THE FOOD!!!!!!!
ROOMS: I’m not a fan of an open space where your significant other can see you shower, use the rest room, and bathe. I personally like privacy in the bathroom. Our friends who traveled with a 16 yr old had the same room without a glass for privacy. When she complained to the concierge about it, they just said "They are romantic rooms" She replied "What's romantic about having a 16 yr old?" The 16 yr old even had to sleep on the sofa bed as there was only a king bed and they refused to move them. So, if you are traveling with teens, please request a glass insert for privacy and two double beds.
FOOD: Very plentiful. My favorite was breakfast in the main buffet but one negative is the omelet station, and meat station. Instead of asking for 1 order, ask for maybe 3 orders at a time? They are very s-l-o-w! My other favorite meal for dinner was Chinese and Mexican. There is always a staff member greeting you in a themed outfit (great touch). If you just want a quick snack, all the restaurants by the pools and beach are pretty good. We tried most of the A la carte restaurants, my least favorite was Italian and my favorite was the Steak house where I ordered a bottle of wine and that was very expensive ($32). I thought the house wine was OK, but not the greatest.
SPA: One comment on here was about the spa being over priced and I agree. We asked how much for a set of gel nails and to our horror it was $80 plus, we just laughed in disbelief! Why would anyone pay more for a set of gel nails or massage on vacation when they can get it for cheaper at home? They need to offer specials for sure on all their packages instead of offering a free massage if you attend some sales pitch on their "special celebration" where they try to sell you premium upgrades. If you do use their spa, it's pretty far out on the resort and their gym was pretty nice and spacious and well stocked with water and towels.
DRINKS: Plenty of water at each bar poured in recycled cups (nice touch). If you like mixed drinks, I suggest you ask for a shot on the side instead of premixed. They are very weak and sugary. The beer is fine but if you are like me and prefer spirits then this is the way to go. Of course, you won't get top shelf liquor, but you will get a better drink especially if you tip.
TIPS: This is based on what service you get and not because you feel you have to. It can get very costly tipping every meal, so just tip when you can because a little goes a long way but you will still get great service. I chose to tip the maid at the end of my vacation rather than leave it in the room. I found out that on the last day, she was working another building and if I had left it in the room, then another maid would've cashed in, and the lead maids also go in to check the cleanliness of the room before the new guests come, so please if you tip, hand it to them. You will be very pleased with their service and towel art (amazing). They also have computer towers for your opinion outside the restaurants. The staff is always telling you their name, they must get an incentive if you write a positive (which we did often) about their service.
TOURS: We were limited in tours due to so many of us in our party but we did splurge on Explor which is a great day out for all ages if you love zip lines :) We also hired a Sea -doo which was $60 for 30 mins and took a trip into Playa Del Carmen by catching a small minivan outside the resort on the main road for 70 pesos both ways so that was a great trip with a beautiful beach and shopping. They have lots of tours in the main lobby (there are two lobby's one is smaller than the other) for everyone's trip needs.
BEACH: I prefer a long sandy beach. The hotel is set on a cove and the beach is very cozy. It's rocky in some parts but overall it’s pretty nice with snorkeling at your finger tips. If you want shade under an Palapa , don't get mad at noon when you head down to the beach only to find them all occupied. I am a believer that if I want shade I'm going to get up early and save my spot! I'm not one to just leave my towel there and never use it, and I never saw that happen at this resort. Some complained but again, if you want a good spot there's nothing wrong with saving it if you plan on being there all day.
ENTERTAINMENT: All the entertainment crew worked hard day and night. Great activities on the beach, pool side, along with great shows in the theater by the main lobby and some shows actually in the main lobby and by the beach bar. Many of the teens headed to the disco on site but I think you have to be 18.
NO FREE WIFI OR SAFE- We paid $24 for two weeks of internet where it was bad in certain areas of the resort (hit or miss). Why are we being charged for this? I have never had to pay at other resorts so this was an added expense. Also, having to pay for a safe? This should come with the room as an incentive to all guests.
EXTRA'S - Lazy River worth trying, a great coffee bar, ice cream bar, and juice bar. Wildlife is great to watch and you will see them for sure. Plenty of Tequila if you wish ;) Overall, I had a good trip. Would we go back? Probably not due to the size of the hotel, and wanting to try new destinations.

Room Tip: Naam building 29 which is close to pool and beach.
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here for 13 days with family, friends and 3 teens (11 of us). Having been to Mexico several times, I know hands down about 5 star resorts and I agree with other reviews that this is not a 5 star hotel but beautiful one none the less. This is a long review due to what happened to my mom at this hotel. My parents (in their 60's) needed a room that required convenience to the pool, beach, restaurants etc... so I called ahead to see if we could all stay at Naam Building 29 as people on this site told us it was great access to everything. When we arrived a day later than the other guests in our party, upon checking in, they had no rooms available in the same building as my family and so we were upgraded to the Premium suites for the evening. This was an amazing room and couldn't pass it up. The premium suites apparently have top shelf liquor but when I tried opening up the Don Julio tequila, it had so much hard residue on the top of the bottle and it wasn’t sealed or tasted like Don Julio (hmmm). The premium rooms are further away from everything but nicer rooms for sure. We checked out of the room at 1000am per the request of the reception but we couldn’t get into our other room until 4pm so that was irritating due to them having our suitcases.

Room Tip: Naam Building 29 is right by the main pool and beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!