“Excellent hotel but...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Southampton
“Excellent hotel but...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

To start on I need to mention that this was our firts trip to Mexico, so I can only compare to other hotels around the world. In general I was very happy with my experiance. Hotel is very beautiful, rooms are very big and clean (top quality). Food was really good but only in the buffet, restaurants are not worth the hassle I was very let down with them especially Italian where we have been waiting for over an hour for a simple spaghetti.
If you go there for lazy holiday to relax by the pool or the beach drinking pina colada :) you won't be let down (drinks were amazing by the way). We were going there to travel around Riviera Maya a little bit and the hotel was a perfect place to start on as it is very close to Akumal, Tulum, Xel ha or Playa.
Now the hard part. The only think I didn't like about this hotel was the organization part. When we have arrived we've been brieft together with about 6 other couples and it was just terrible. Because the size of the hotel you should of been told the basic staff about where the main thinks are not a bunch of info about everything after you still now nothing about the hotel.
I strongly recommend you to buddy up with your concierge straight away as he will be the main source of informations you will really need about everything starting from info about hotel up to traveling advices.
I think it was nothing really bad about this hotel I can remember so if you are not sure about it than don't think too much as from my experiance I can tell there is no place 100% perfect.
Hope this helps and remember more you think about bad stuff then you focuse less on good.
Have a nice holiday :)

Room Tip: Ask for room with the view on the sea. They are spectacular
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,976)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

It was our first trip to Mexico, overall the trip was pretty good. The road from the Airport to the hotel was a bit long but it was worth it. The resort is very huge, prepare to walk a lot. There are some shuttle but most of time, those that you see are for the premium members.
Foods:
The buffet was pretty good, a lot of selection ( I was in Cuba before, so big difference). They have several themes at night like each every 2 days. The restaurant is very big and it's split by 2 side. In the morning, the staff seemed very busy so we didn't get any service really, not that a big deal, I drink water only but my girlfriend didn't have her coffee most of time. We tried 3 A la carte. The Mediterranean, Brazilian and Italian. I would go with 6/10 8/10 and 7/10. The best service we had was at the Italian one. The service was flawless, everything was explained correctly. There's one thing that we found strange. They asked us to dress properly at those restaurants. Unfortunately, most of people there didn't have shoes most of time had t-shirts etc...My girlfriend and I was a bit disappointed because it didn't seem different much from the buffet.
Room:
The room was pretty huge for a junior suite, always well maintained. No complains there at all.
Beach:
The beach has many rocks around and it can get unpleasant to walk around, we went there like 2 or 3 times only.
Last thing that was a bit disappointing it was the booking we did to the spa and message. I'm not really the one that likes massage but my girlfriend does so I did take it for both of us. The next day, I didn't want one anymore and asked them to cancel it and they said it was not possible to cancel it ( no one told us about that ). Anyways, in the end I took the hydrolic pool and she did her massage.
Overall, it was a pleasant trips the staff were friendly foods were great and a very beautiful resort.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The only reason I'm writing this review is to warn others about the horrible beach... full of rocks and nasty seaweed and junk floating around...it was not fun. We got in, took some pictures and never went back. If you plan to go into the ocean, bring water shoes! Also, the sand wasn't soft at all, it had pebbles in it. And from the beach chairs to the shoreline was literally probably only 8ft... there wasn't very much sand to relax on...

The resort itself was lovely, very big and involved lots of walking but we didn't mind. The staff were very friendly and nice, and also helpful! Rooms were clean, smelled a bit murky when we first checked-in but we got over it. Pools were the best! We stayed mostly in the South pool, it had deeper water and was lots of fun. Fair warning, the pool bars close very early, around 5-6pm...

Food wasn't too horrible, better than other places I've been, and lots of variety. The Mexican a-la-carte was really gross and the exact same food on Mexican night at the buffet so I didn't understand the point of that..

Entertainment team was fun, the guy that plays Danny in Grease is a DREAM! Fabulous dancer. The two nights the entertainment team came to the disco were actually a lot of fun. Speaking of the disco - it was a lot of fun if you've been drinking, but music is repetitive throughout the night, and every night so that was a bit lame.

Overall, I didn't hate it, but I would not return and I would not recommend going here unfortunately. I think your money can be better spent at another resort...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We've been to all-inclusives in Cuba, Mexico and Jamaica and overall I'd say that this has been our favorite. The resort is quite new and top notch in terms of it's facilities and grounds. Our room, which was the cheapest you could book, was lovely and large with a full sitting area and huge bathroom. Mini bar was restocked daily, and the huge 3L water was a welcome surprise. The open concept bathroom is pretty weird, but was nice when we wanted to take jacuzzi tub. I can see people being put off though, especially if you aren't a couple. The pools were big and beautiful and I really enjoyed that the middle pool was a 'quiet' pool without alcohol service - it allows you to get some quiet swimming in if you're not there for the party. The lazy river was also a nice touch, but be careful - it's a bit of a sunburn factory:)

The food was probably the lowest point - it was perfectly nice and everything was tasty, but we have had better at several other resorts. The mexican choices were nice and the tortillas were delicious but there weren't really any 'must eat' dishes. I also wasn't big on the fact that all the a la cartes that we went to incorporated some sort of buffet (salad bar, desert buffet, appetizers, etc) - when you eat at a buffet for every meal during a week it's nice to spend the few meals at the a la cartes being served at the table and having a proper menu organized for you rather than just another 'grab a bit of everything' approach. These were really minor concerns though and we still consider this our top resort despite getting better food elsewhere.

We also took the Coba/Zip Line/Ceynote excursion from Alltournative and although it was the most expensive excursion we've taken, it was the best - it's really like 3 tours in one (may ruins, adventure, traditional food) and all of it was really top notch. Very impressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We returned from our holiday yesterday and our comments are mostly postive . The food in the a la carte restaurants was very good apart from the Mediterranean restaurant . We thoroughly enjoyed the Japanese , cajun and the steak house. I was a little disappointed that I was told I was ten minutes late arriving for the Japanese meal , especially as the ticket stated you can arrive up to fifteen minutes late and it was also my birthday . No birthday wishes or a sparkler in my pud lol .
The buffet food was very good and I challenge anyone to not find something to their taste as the selection was huge . We purposefully didn't tip after one comment I read on trip adviser before we arrived . I'm pleased to say the service didn't reflect this . The waiters are very attentive and a special mention for hipolito ek bhan who never failed to raise a giggle . Tips were saved for the end of the holiday and were gratefully given.
The pool areas were very impressive with a choice of noisy or quiet . The intention to keep the natural foliage part of the experience was a lovely touch . The downside of this was the waste left from trees and wildlife . The pools were cleaned regularly but the areas around the beds could have been cleaner . We did have to dodge the odd iguana pooh lol
The beach area was very relaxing . Water shoes are needed as quite a bit of rock to contend with . Rocky area around the bay was lovely to investigate the rock pools but a lot of rubbish was visible and spoilt the overall effect . How can people lose so many flip flops lol beach service was excellent and a special mention for marbella and saret.
The rooms are nice , large and clean . Our mini bar wasn't always topped up and I twice had to ring for more water . On one occasion I couldn't make myself understood and room service hung up on me because I wouldn't pay for the service . I did mention this to reception but they didn't get back to me . Towel art was hit and miss , my daughter and her fiancée were staying in the room opposite us but again the mimi bar was hit and miss and they got no towel art . We did mention this to the thomson rep but no action was taken .
One down side that caused some stress was the drinks available in the lobby bars . The brochure states unlimited branded drinks 24/7 but every night these appeared to run out . The bar manager told me that they have an allocation in the morning and when they're gone he can't get any more however on one particular night I stood my ground and after explaining that we don't drink alcohol in the day and only went out for a couple after our evening meal he managed to obtain a bottle of Jim beam from the disco apparently . This process took about forty five minutes and was a bit embarrassing. We did again mention this to the Thomson rep but she didn't get back to us or action anything . The following day we had the same problem with a glass of bailleys . Our main stress was that the bar staff didn't always tell you that they had run out and tried to fob you off with the local drinks . A bit of a pain when you had to queue again to argue the toss . Didn't spoil the rest of the holiday but big drinkers beware .
Tranfers and trips very good but on this occasion the Thomson rep had little or no effect . Sorry Charlie but we wished we'd saved the time coming to explain things to you .

• Stayed June 2013
Port Coquitlam, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We returned from a week at this hotel from June 14 to 21st. This is definitely not the 5 star we were led to believe. As my girlfriend said a solid 3 star. This is our 4th trip to Mexico in 2 years and this was the most disappointing as far as resorts go. We generally take everything with a grain of salt and don't expect perfection but there were so many little things that were substandard we had a hard time overlooking them.

First, the rooms were nice, but the shuttle service to get to a from various locations in the complex including the spa was terrible. Unless you upgrade you have to take the shuttle on the perimeter road, which we saw only 2 times in a week. If you upgrade you get the shuttle that goes through the middle of the units on the walkway.

The shuttle drivers for the upgrades are insane to say the least. They expect you to move, and how nobody got run over while we were there was a miracle. I complained more than once.

Basically if you don't upgrade to the premium service they seem to care very little about you stay. The ice machine by our unit disappeared after 3 days, presumably moved to replace a defective unit in the premium location as there was nothing wrong with it when it was in our complex.

The buffet was not very good, and again we don't have our bar set very high when we go to all inclusive's, but when you advertise 5 star, you should do better.

There were signs that this resort has issues with maintenance. Broken tiles at pool, not just a few, pool area dirty, saw many staff walk by dirty dishes on chairs and tables. The chair near us had dirty dishes for the afternoon, as we watched so many hotel staff walk by, look and keep on going. I have worked in restaurant industry, and we have always been taught that you pick up if you have empty hands.

My girlfriend remarked how the spa staff told her not to use this or that chair in the water therapy as it was broken. She also saw broken grates in the pool. The spa is supposed to be the drawing card to this resort.

There were so many little things that it got to be a bit of a running joke with us part way thru. They cleaned our room and took all the glasses and never gave us new ones. When we mention it to a staff member he said he would correct it but never did. We just gave up on mentioning anything, as we just tried to enjoy the time we had left.

We would not recommend or stay here again. The Bahi Principe Coba just down the road or Barceló are both places we have stayed and would recommend. They were much better value and enjoyable.

We were most disappointed about how high this resort was rated on tripadvisor as we use it to research resorts before we choose. Like we said, our expectations are not high, but this place does not match the reviews we have read.

So to sum up, don't stay here, there are much better places to stay in the same area, not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel beautifull place,room lovely staying for a week with a friend ,bathroom was a problem a piece of glass separating the bath,shower and toilet from the beds was slightly frosted although huge gaps so you could ser each other bathing,the toilet door is a price of glass that does not close needless to say you could hear all your room mates oblutions and more,embarrassing to say the least..also mosquitoes,we were sold yellow bands on the coach to keep away these pests I sprayed liberally every day and night with tropical repellent and still got bitten all over,it took us three days to realise that on returning to our room the cleaners were leaving the patio and door open as they cleaned therefore letting them in our room .every morning we had more bites ,this prompted a mosquito hunt every night before bed and always we found some after our search we weren't bitten again ..other tha that a lovely holiday one more tip take pro biotic tablets to keep your stomach healthy you will need them

• Stayed June 2013
Grandrivieramaya, Gerente at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hello Memesvet,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Grand Sirenis.

I’m sorry to hear you barely enjoyed the structure of our rooms, you may have felt your privacy was stolen, I hope the charming of the green-ocean glass overcame that fact.

Allow me to say I am surprised when you mention the guest room attendants left your patio door open; they have instructions on closing it unless guests don’t shut it as they understand it is their wish. That may have been the reason why mosquitoes entered your room. I take the opportunity for readers to prevent them about what you mention.

It’s good to hear your overall outlook about the holidays was lovely as you said and let me point food is not that heavy unless you are not used to the local cuisine which is cooked for tourists and it’s way lighter, believe me!

Thanks again Memesvet for your comments. Hoping to see you again, receive my greetings in the name of Grand Sirenis’ staff.

Jorge Viñuela
Assistant Manager

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!