“Perfect Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Aberdare, United Kingdom
“Perfect Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Grand Sirenis was the ideal honeymoon location. Rooms were spacious and the facilities were excellent, The location allowed us to explore the region on local public transport, although there was a bit of a walk to the main road. The staff in the resort were very friendly and always happy to help and the food was of the highest quality every day. Would definately recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,794)
  • Polish first
Romeo, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have to start by saying I have traveled worldwide so I know that expectations in other counties are different.
I arranged the trip with"book it"-mistake- once they have your money forget about any customer service and hold times for me have been a minimum of "one hour". However new reservation time much shorter. If you try to inquire with the original reservationist forget it all they do is take the reservation and transfer to hell hold to some other department. I asked to leave a message and they said they could not do it!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me. It took weeks to get any form of communication and MICHAEL MAUND who no one seems to know who he is! I tried on many occasions to contact him prior to my trip regarding issues before I left. When I called to contact him you cannot leave a message or voicemail not to mention I phoned 7 times in one day trying to locate him and on hold unacceptable lengths of time....He tried once to contact me and made no additional attempt to help me. With that said....
We stayed at the Grand Sirenis Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Beach is limited, areas of rocky areas of very course sand. Lazy river nice but children running loose should be managed someone may get injured experienced many unattended children running around that area and jumping into the river. Another women I spoke with saw employees by the pool (near buffet) were drinking shots. From the previous advice of reviews I attempted to book any specialty restaurant reservations immediately upon arriving but could not get in until late or 9p on many or they were just not available. Starving from the days travel we went to the food at the buffet by the pool and it was dried out, I tried to have a burger not really sure of the meat but it was not beef!! The hot dog was cold additional selections seemed like leftovers. Whether the first in line or the last there should be edible food. We went to the main buffet hoping for better.....wrong. It was the worst-I never in the 8 days saw anyone even trying many of there selection. I went to my room family in tow and phoned hotel management in tears.......explaining the problem. It was soooo frustrating to try to explain to someone who clearly had no ability to contact hotel general manager. This is not a matter of being spoiled with better selections or too picky-it was filler food starch carbs, cattle call lowest of quality unidentifiable selections. I was sick every time I ate as well as the three other travelers I was with.
I went off site on several occasions to eat just to feel better if nothing more and it became very expensive-very upsetting when all inclusive was suppose to be provided-should have specified edible!
I saw raw meat sitting all day next to a warm grill.
The morning I left I went into the buffet(not technically open for service to grab a coffee/juice before our early departure) and the burgers/dogs and some other stuff that were not eaten the day before were in a tray with other left-overs to be warmed & re- served to that days meals. This was not a misunderstanding I asked at the buffet server.
A few days prior the customer service person in charge tried to explain how food is discarded after 4 hours if not consumed. NOT. I took photos- greasy, overcooked, garbage food. I am stunned at those who think the food is even remotely good-they must have come from third world countries-HORRIBLE-not a little bad. The specialty dinners-steak dinner at Ranchero I would not recommend. The Japanese was okay-very salty, the guy at our table seated across from us (not with our party) walked out and said "enough"-this food it is bad. OMG. The Brazilian was the only decent food, sides were cold potatoes under cooked. The hotel offered "one" additional dinner three days into our stay to make up our food issues......so we chose italian. Service was long....the bread was delicious, the minestrone was pretty good-the main course- Lasagna for me and my daughter got some chicken with lemon sauce. Not sure about the "beef" which was like dog food. The sauce no flavor and the liquid cheese on top was bad. My daughter cut into her chicken and it was raw!!!!! The manager agreed it was not cooked. And waited a considerable length of time to get our meal, at that point I left the restaurant. I could hardly contain myself. This was not a matter of taste-it was not edible
I would prefer better quality and with less selection, not just to attempt to make it look like there is a lot of food. Our beverages in our fridge I would have to constantly call for refills because it was not replenished by housekeeping-the small water bottles in the fridge they wanted to charge me for when wanting refill!!!!!!! WHAT! I also had to call for toilet paper.
One of the male managers I spoke with tried to make it out like they have sooooo many people and very little complaints. My question is if there is very little food problems and I am the exception then it should not have been a problem to help our small group. He had a bad attitude-I asked to be moved to another hotel and he said book it would have to handle it. I called the US to have book it contact me and was assured someone would call and NO ONE responded more lip service. I have not been able to take a trip with my children in 8-10 years and saved for five years to take my family on this vacation. I am just beside myself since I will not be able to go on another for a long time. Hoping I am saving someone from the terrible experience I had........all the best, may you have better results-God bless.
On a positive note-The hotel grounds workers were very cordial hard working and helpful they are really top notch very humble wonderful people.
This place is not for anyone who has an issue walking even though they state they have a shuttle you will spend half of your trip waiting for one. Marble everywhere- beautiful but not practical if you are using a cane or walker-very slippery!! The elderly I spoke with said they would not return, the walking distances was just to much. I am in my fifties fairly healthy but it was exhausting-need a vacation to regroup from my vacation. A very unfortunate trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our first time to Mexico but wow! what a place. Have honestly not got one bad word to say about this hotel. Lovely and clean room, good variety of food, great beach where you could get a good spot any time of day and drinks galore. But the thing that topped it all for us was the staff, so friendly and helpful (tip or no tip). A special mention has to go to Luis in the lobby bar who kept the drinks coming all night no matter how busy the bar was and his one aim was that you had a great night. Our concierge Eduardo was so pleasant and helpful we could not have asked any more of him. The spa is definitely worth a visit as a special treat. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

rosedale bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at this resort April 16 to 23, Our first reaction was much too large for
our liking since this was at least 10 times larger than any resort we had ever stayed
in before. When we checked in, the resort was full with 2045 guests. However we
soon started feeling very comfortable with the size of the resort. The rooms were
very nice, large good bed and great bathroom with massage shower and jacuzi tub.
Our room in building 29 had ocean view on the third floor with a great balcony. The
service thru-out the resort was excellent, the pools as well as all other areas were
constantly being cleaned and kept in tip top shape. The food was good in the buffets
and excellent in the specialty restaurants. The beach was too rough for us to swim in
but you can not control the wind. The pools more than made up for it. In summary
a great stay.

Room Tip: Try for ocean view 3rd floor bldg 27 28 29 would be our top choice
Barrhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I'll start this review with some tips and follow with my review.
1. Wifi is charged and do not use the code they give you on a second machine or they charge twice.
2. All wire type services including the phones system is run by satellite. So if you need to make an international call use the pay and talk phones in the lobby, way cheaper.
3. The bank machine fees at the hotel are very high so bring money or go to Playa Del Carmen to withdraw. The exchange desk in the front lobby is a pretty good rate if you want to just exchange.
3. If you get a free briefing upon your arrival from your tour company, go to it. It is very informative and gives you a lot of these tips. (Don't mistake this with the Grand Sirenis Premium Members Club Tour)
4. The beach has a lot of broken up coral in it and can be a little tough on feet. (every day i went swimming and found a sandy walk into the ocean and beautiful school of small mixed fish just on the other side of the big rock that separates the jet ski's from the beach)
5. The free room service that runs from 11:00 to 11:00 has three menus, two of which that have dollars signs on them, hence they'll charge you for those items.
6. This two sided, but actually one fairly big resort can be a little hard to navigate. Watch for the large thatched roof of the theater that is just behind the dual lobby's, to guide you. Also watch for the shortcut side walks the staff use to get around faster.
7. If you like to Tip, there are a lot of employees here, so get a pile of American single ones, they are lighter than our loonies.
8. Lastly, at this time Playa Del Carmen, the closet big shopping spot, is booming in growth and the prices here are the highest I've seen in Mexico yet, so don't forget anything that you have and don't really want to have to buy. (Example: sunglasses, hat, sunscreen...etc.)

The review:
A few quirks upon a very early arrival (4:30 am), but nothing they didn't do their best to fix. The first thing to remember is that "Mexican time" is not as rushed as the lives we live and when our lights in our room didn't work it took them about 10 mins to get someone there to reset the breaker to always on and he beat the suitcases to our room. From there on it was great. The rooms are great but have a very slight moist salty jungle air to them and what could you expect when going to the jungle on the side of the ocean.The staff is fantastic, We found Rafeal Lincres and Angel Arryo our room concierge, extremely helpful, and very attentive.
Two of the support staff Rudolfo (dressed as Mario from Mario Bros.) and Bento ((Benito's guacamole making lesson (I didn't like guacamole, and his was great.)) had us laughing till there were tears in our eyes and our sides hurting.
All the staff from the grounds keepers to the concierge are super friendly, full of smiles and hola's (hello or hi)
We found we spent a lot of our drinking time at the lobby bar where Clemete Mukul Can, Ester erHanandez, Angel Quino and Maria del Carmen Jimenes not only served the best drinks of the whole hotel but became our friends, we'll miss them.
The main buffet was excellent. The Bayou Restaurant - excellent, The El Rancho Restaurant - good. Even though we had our choice of all seven A LA CARTE Restraunts free (I won't go into the why here) we still loved the main buffet's.
Maid service from Olga was excellent and we loved her towel ornaments on the bed every day.
The hotel tries it's best to run things in an orderly manner and make a great day happen, hard to do when your switching meals and trying to settle overly indulged drinkers, but they find a way to do it splendidly.
There are lot of things to do here. Enjoy and have fun.
Cons
The beach and the pool side palapa's get horded with towels quickly in the morning even though there are signs saying they can't be reserved. If you watch, a lot of them are never used.
My wife didn't care for the open wall divider between the beds and the bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I just returned April 26th from our first trip to the Mayan and Grand Serenis and have nothing but great things to say. Food was plenty, the room clean, spacious and comfortable. The people were so friendly and helpful always a smile and ready to help you with anything you need. We especially liked Jose the day time lobby bartender and Clemente and Angel night time lobby bartenders. The pools are clean and we never had a problem getting a bed. Steak house was amazing (we went twice) and well we missed the other Al a carte because we spent to much time getting to know Jose in the lobby bar one afternoon lol. We would love ti visit again someday.

The one complaint I might have is the time share harassment. Every day you get a letter under your door inviting you to a beautiful brunch and a tour of the resort. My husband and I finally gave in and yes the rooms are beautiful but time share is not for us. Mike was our tour guide and sales person nice guy but the manager Pepe when he realized we weren't going to buy was quite abrupt and everytime we saw him after the tour he didn't even break a smile or say hello. We did however get $100.00 to spend on the resort and that paid for much of our trinkets we brought home for family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool as the rooms are quite a walking distance from the main lobby.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The resort is located in a bay,with smaller but sandy beach, well kept and there always seems to be plenty of beds. Buffet was great generally something for everyone, all the food was well cooked and checked regularly, the Japanese and El Rancho where my favourites, the starters in El Rancho where the best of all. Try the BBQ at lunchtime down on the beach.

Rooms are cleaned daily, but getting a little tired around the edges, some updating required of the lampshades and maintenance of the showers and floors, to maintain a four to five star rating. I was in a Jnr Suite as part of their Premium Traveller Club, great views from the room of the bay, the service was good, but the room was not in much better condition than the standard rooms, beds however do have better pillow tops.

The very best part of the resort was the staff at all levels (entertainment, waiters, poolside staff) very friendly and always helpful. This was my second visit the first going as a package, so I have seen the resort from both view points as far as service goes, you get treated just as well either way, just more privileges as a member, seating areas both in the lobbies and beach/poolside, although these are often used by non members.

I would use this resort again, overall a very pleasant stay in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: ask for rooms away from the cleaners rooms (early morning noise). also second or third floors are qu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!