“Grand Sirenis” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“Grand Sirenis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed a year ago last winter in March (Spring Break). Great for couples and families. Loved the cafe, and the ice cream parlor. Lazy river loads of fun. Not a big fan of the beach as I prefer long stretches of beach but I felt very safe and no vendors which is nice. The room nice with shower and bath tub. Would return again as a family. Love the entertainment. A bit cheesy but better than any of the all inclusives I've been too. Lots to choose from for a la carte restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,972)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been to this resort three years on a row for Spring break with my family and it has consistantly performed at or above my expectations in most capacities.

The bar service at the pool was excellent. Cali Bardiona and Jose De la paz served us most of the week and were always pleasant and efficient with despensing the drinks. The buffet restaurant staff were great. They were attentive without being overly pushy. The buffet food quality was quite high and the variety was there every night, which is good when travelling with children. The rooms were large and always well maintained by the housekeeping staff. All requests regarding the rooms were dealt with promptly.

I highly recommend this resort to anyone with a family looking for great quality, nice facilities and excellent service from the staff.

kitchener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was our fifth time at this resort and we thoroughly enjoyed it every time. This time we went with Air Transat and I have to say that their airplanes and staff were very good. This was our first trip with our 16 month old daughter and we were a little nervous about how the trip would go. She had a wonderful time, spent everyday in the pool and a few days splashing in the ocean and feeding the abundant fish there. We found something for her to eat at every restaurant, she ate the best she has ever eaten and slept like a log after all the activity of the day. This is a beautiful resort with friendly staff, good restaurants with a wide variety of food and lots of bars for those who want to drink. The resort is laid out in a nice fashion with lots of vegetation and some vary nice lighting and scenery. There is always something to do at the resort if you take advantage of the options or you can just relax an veg and nobody pressures you to party. The beaches are great, not long and really wavy like other resorts so not good for body surfing as there is an off shore reef protecting it. I went out and swam on red flag days and could barely feel some slight tow but could not get a wave to body surf on. The days that are calm are the best as the snorkelling is great; lots of fish of different varieties, some sting rays, occasional barracudas and some young sea turtles by the north beach which is nice and sandy although I always recommend bringing water shoes for every southern trip as you never know. The staff at the resort are almost all very friendly and will always try to take care of your needs. We always had good service at the restaurants and we especially appreciate Yobani at the main buffet who was always quick and efficient and treated out baby very well. The rooms were well cleaned and the concierges were always available for questions and concerns. The entertainment crew were excellent, they kept things hopping for all ages but did not try to force you to participate if you did not want to. I have read some of the negative reviews and some of the points are valid but most are not. We have been to various resorts down south and this is by far the best for the money. Certainly it is not a 5 star as I would expect at least free wifi and some more options for higher end drinks but it is for sure a 4 to 4.5 star for the southern resorts. We have never had any problems with our luggage there but we do not leave valuables unattended at any resort or hotel including Canada. Our luggage was always delivered to our room before we got there or shortly after. The only problem with luggage service is at the end of the trip when everybody wants their luggage brought at same time and there is only 1 poor bugger trying to get it all so you might want to leave extra time for check out especially early morning. The marble floors at the resort are beautiful but if it rains you have to be careful as they do get slippery. The food was very good, as there is always a choice for everyone; no one will starve there, I had very good steaks at the steakhouse and the bayou restaurant. The last point is that this is the south and most resorts will have a slight musty smell in the rooms from humidity if the air has not been used for a while but just keep one of the keys in the operating mechanism in the room and the air and fan can stay on and the smell goes away and if it really is that bad the hotel does do its very best to keep you happy and move you to another room. In conclusion, great resort with little downside relative to many others in the south and a great value, have a great time.

Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Hi there, our stay was good only a few negatives: beds were uncomfortably hard, the pillows were very flat and uncomfortable. Since everything is so open there, the doors would slam due to the "windy tunnel", and you can here everything.

Other than that the trip was great, good weather, great food, friendly staff, pools were all great, beach was beautiful. It was nice to get away!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I visited Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach from Mar 15/13 to Mar 22/13. It was our second visit (first was in the fall of 2008). We had a phenomenal week. Booked the trip 2 days before leaving and it didn't disappoint. We find this resort to be one of the best in terms of value for money out of all the resorts we have been to (12+). The property is large and well spread out, with nice landscaping. It is in a good location, as there are no other resorts visible from there.

The beach is beautiful! There are essentially two beaches. The first one, which is closest to the beach grill, is rocky and a bit tricky to get into the water from. The second, however, which is essentially right next to the first, offers an easy walk in with a sandy bottom. Bring your snorkelling gear, as there is plenty to see right off the beach. We saw lots of fish and a really big sting ray. Lots of nice coral to look at as well. We spent most of the week on the beach as it was so nice. Also, the drink service on the beach was fantastic! SARET and KAREN....we miss you!!! They both did an incredible job all week. By far the best beach servers ever!!

This leads into the next point: the drinks!! Fantastic!!! Some of the best we have had at any resort. Now, I must qualify this by saying that we generally stick to beer, slushy drinks and mohitos. All frozen drinks are made from scratch, meaning no super-sweet slush from a machine with a splash of rum or tequilla. NICOLAS was the main guy at the beach bar/grill. He made great beverages and always served them quickly with a smile on his face. The beer is Corona on tap. Didn't see any bottles, but who cares. The other thing that is good is that they serve the drinks in re-usable plastics cups, so you aren't throwing away a plastic cup after every drink.

The food at this resort is quite good. You are limited to 3 a la carte dinners/week, but the buffet for dinner is great. So many options and good quality/taste. For a la carte, we tried the Mediterranean (skip it and pick another one), the Mexican (incredible - highly recommend...try the enchilladas) and the Japanese (also really good). Service at the a la carte restaurants was very good, and was pretty good at the dinner buffet.

We didn't give the service 5 stars, as we found our check in experience was so-so, service at the the breakfast buffet was hit and miss and at the pool restaurants for lunch (one was El Rancho), it was pretty much non-existent.

The rooms are huge. Bed is a bit hard though, so if you have issues with that, this may be important. Nice bathroom and spacious shower with really good water pressure. Housekeeping was great! Room was immaculate every day.

The pools are beautiful, however, we spent most of our time on the beach this trip.

The spa is unreal! Absolutely spectacular and worth walk. Massages are expensive, but you get the hydro therapy included, which is a nice experience. The facility is pretty top-notch, so even if you didn't do a massage, you may want to spend the $25 to try the hydro therapy.

Last but not least....the LAZY RIVER!!! This is a really unique feature as it actually has a current and is quite long. We enjoyed many trips (and cold beverages) floating down the lazy river. The trip is quite scenic as you meander through the resort's lush landscaping. You MUST try the lazy river if you go here. You will not regret it.

Overall, this is a great resort that offers excellent value for the price. It is well situated also, as you are about 20 minutes from the Tulum ruins, 20-25 min from Playa Del Carman and a reasonable distance to the amusement/eco parks (Xel-Ha, Xcaret and XPlore). Also, Akumel Beach (a public beach) is about 10-15 min away. We didn't visit it on this trip, but went last time. We took our snorkel gear and were able to see giant sea turtles right off the beach. It is worth the trip. The bus ride to the resort from the Cancun airport is about 1 hr 10 min and goes by quickly.

The only negatives about this place (but they are not a big deal, especially given the price for a week all-inclusive) are the lack of an la carte lunch option (having said this, the food at the beach grill is quite good....try the chicken soft tacos/fahitas, chips and guacamole....delicious!!), the hit-and-miss service (as mentioned above, and limited mostly to lunch at the pool restaurants and sometimes at breakfast), and the fact that they don't have an adults only section. These are hardly reasons to not visit though. We loved it and will go back again at some point.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to pool and beach, try for Naab, Makal or Llek (name of buildings). Third f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was my first vacation with my 13 year old son ever. First when you leave your bags in the lobby and they tell you to enjoy your day and come backnat 3 for check in your bag is not safe. I ask if they were safe. I took out our bathing suites made sure everythingvwas there including my camera. When i came back at 3 we checked in. The rooms smelled like mold so i ask to be moved im alergic to mold. They moved me and after several calls asking for my bag so i coukd shower it arrived. I unpacked and no camera just the case. After arguing all week they did nothing. This is a 5 star i ask them to please piull security camera footage to see who took it. They dont have cameras at all so no your bags are not safe. Second issue the floors are all marble i was walking near my room and there was water on the floor indidnt see it and went flying. I filled out a report and said i would go to the dr in the sates. They refused to give me the reports when i checked out. Now i have a concussion and a torn ligament of ourse they dont care. Next i ordered room service and whrn i opened it here was a worm in my food i videotapped it it was disgusting. All the food was aweful. I thought when reading this begire we left people were just picky oh no the food is seriously terrible. I was talking to other people staying at the hotel who had been to mexico the last 8-10 years they said this was the worst foid they ever had. The buffet does not allow you to get your own drins. You actually have to ask the servers three or four times to even get a soda. Te alcohol throughout was terruble and very disappointing. My best drink was a miami vice by the pool but there was nonalcohol in it i could taste. On to the rooms. They are nice but thst Open area between the bathroom and bed is about a foot. So if i wanted to take a bath my son was a foot away on the bed which was awkward and he couldnt hear the tv. Also we only had two english speaking channels one being cartoon networlk since the nightime entertainment was sooo bad we would go to our oom and watch our one channel. Also there are no hot tubs at all i tnought the big swirl in the pool was a hot tub but it wasnt. The beach i outstanding and very beautiful. If you have kids who want to see the mayan ruin you MUST bring aqua shoes. Overall i couldn be happier to be home. I have an autustic child and my husband stayed home all week so my son and I could have a vacation away. It was so dissapointing. No tv no wifi unless you pay 14.00 a day per device. So if you want to b able to be in contact with everone your with every person is 14.00 per day. I think i have covered it all. Icarlos was my funjet person on premises and he was disgusted by the way i was treated. I din care what nyone says this was a aweful hotel most f th peope i talked to were canadian and cone to mexico. Not one family said they would ever come back to the Grand Sierenis . Im off today to an orthopedist and im out a camera and vacation because of my fall i had a massive head avhe all week and injured my foot. STAY AWAY i have the video of the e worm that was in my food . My on s 13 and had nothing to do. The family next to me had a 13 and 16 year old boys who were given shots of tequilla while p,aying pool volleyball. I could go on and on i just want to save as many people as i can from staying here it was just so bad.

Etobicoke, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Travelled from March 13th - 20th family of 5 ages 7,12,16 - memories made. I have to say that the only complaint of our fabulous vacation was our 6:15 am flight which put us at the hotel prior to our room being available - no fault of the hotel as check in states 3:00. Bring swimwear in your carry-on and enjoy the resort while your waiting. We were fortunate to receive the infamous 'Building 18' along with the wonderful concierge/cleaning staff who were meticulous and always greet you with a smile/hola. Our children took pictures of the towel art left daily on their bed - nice touch. I would have to say the Buffet (quite a variety-theme nights) and the Beach Snack Bar Buffalo wings/burger/fries) accommodated our picky eaters. We did enjoy the Steak/Cajun/Japanese ala carte but caters more to the adult and not children. My Husband and daughter discovered the sea turtle at the hotel beach and were able to swim with it there on site. Wonderful experience. Visits with spider monkeys/Macaws and the resident racoons (do not feed cause when you stop they get angry). Ventured off on a tour with 'Alltournative" on the Jungle Maya/Tulum - greatly recommend. Tulum ruins, sandy beach, waves are beautiful, In the Jungle, rappelling, swimming in cenote, zip lining, snorkelling. Our guide Marco 'polo' was amazing. We took in the Nightly entertainment only twice as it didnt start until 9:30 - they do have a pre-show in the lobby. The market comes twice a week which we were able to buy all our souvenirs (haggle for better prices) beautiful handmade art. The resort was immaculate and the service was exceptional - we did tip - not that we had to. If we could have we would have extended our stay for another week but unfortunately will have to wait til our return next year. P.S. we were approached once about the 90 minute timeshare tour but we declined politely stating that we prefer to use the time we had at the pool.

Cindy M.
Etobicoke, Ontario

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!