“Awesome Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Calgary, Canada
“Awesome Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had an amazing time once again at this property, third time. I do want to thank our concierge Raul for making our restaurant booking and ensuring we had everything we needed. I heard some negative comments again while at the property but fortunately for us we had an impeccable time....The Friday night beach party was an awesome event, lobster and steak was incredible and we really enjoyed the entertainment.
I must give a special mention to the grounds keepers as they seem to get over looked when a review is submitted. We walked the whole property everyday (which is a good walk I must add) and was thouroughly impressed with the impeccable state of the resorts grounds.
Really liked the daily trek to our room after a day of fun to see what kind of interesting character the maid staff had left for us, we really liked the elephant!!
We will be back Sirenis...

Room Tip: We have stayed in Building 18 three times and never had any issues
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

4,417 people have reviewed this hotel

2032
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Polish first
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel but too many Brits!!!

Beautiful hotel, staff not particularly friendly with the exception of waitresses on the beach ( didn't finish their shift without bringing you a drink) Fluent Spanish speakers take priority in this hotel. Overall clean, food good but will not return. To be honest felt a bit like Tenerife or mainland Spain therefore not good value for money and certainly not worth the long light time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Hi kaz27, thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your vacation with us, as customer reviews are always a source of improvement for us. I am surprised to read that you found staff not particularly friendly, as the comments we usually receive are positive, about kind and smiling workers around the resort. What saddens me the most is that you think that Spanish-speaker guests may take priority over others, as that is definitely not the case. All our guests are equally important to us.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. Best regards, Daniel – Assistant Manager
B.C. Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have read countless reviews before and after our travels and I have come to realize that unless the majority of reviewers echo the same comments, then you really just have to do some research beforehand and make the best of everything that you encounter during your trip. A lot of people tend to exaggerate the bad, over-praise the good and make mountains out of molehills! (i.e. "the food was inedible" or "the drinks the worst ever tasted"). I will try to convey what we found and give you enough feedback to answer the most concerned areas for travellers. This is our 5 trip to the Riviera Maya area in the past 12 years. (each one at a different resort)
We had a party of 8 adults (46-60) travel from Vancouver via Air Transat on Jan. 28/13 for a 14 night stay at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya. One couple booked Club Class seats and the rest of us booked Options Plus. Good info on their website and we found good value for our dollar. (Especially the extra checked baggage allowance as we had a 14 day vacation!) Air Transat was excellent with service, ammenities and comfort. Once arriving in Cancun we had booked USA Transfers to shuttle us to the GSR and back instead of taking the included Nolit Tours airport transfers that were included in our package. The reason being that with 8 of us, we got private, direct van service for a total of 160.00USD. We were at the resort and checked in long before the bus arrived, and even though we left the resort after the bus did on our return to the airport, we still arrived ahead of it and were checked in with our flight before the line up arrived! We have used USA Transfers 3 times now and will continue to do so! (Check out their website. They are known as Entertaimnment Plus.)
Checkin at the GSR was as expected. Even though we had 2 couples that were returning guests who were previously told they would be entitled to an "upgrade" we found out that all 4 couples were in 4 seperate buildings...3 rooms on the Mayan Riviera side and one room on the Mayan Beach side. Knowing that room requests are never assured, I had followed up after booking with our travel agent with Mr. Carlos Balam Santos with the reservations department at the GSR and asked him to confirm our requests of third floor rooms, king beds and all 4 rooms fairly close together. My first email to him was sent on Nov. 4/12 and I got a reply on Jan 12/13 just 15 days before our departure! (lol) The reason I said that check in was "as expected" is we found that the larger the group that you are with, the least it seems to matter regarding your requests! As we had returning guests that were not happy with the room selections, it took some politefull yet firm discussions with a reception supervisor in order for us to have our rooms all located in one building. We were in building 19 which is probably the best for location on the Riviera Maya side of the resort. We were all transfered by shuttle to our rooms with our luggage following immediatley after. Bell staff (Rigo) and everyone else curbside was awesome with service and help!
ROOMS: Large junior suites. The only upgrade you can receive is "ocean view" which some get charged 20 or 30USD per room per night up to 60USD per night. (building location far more important that paying for "view" upgrade in my opinion!) Large bathroom with walk in 2 person shower (overhead spray, hand-held spray and full body spray) with shower gel and shampoo dispensers mounted for your use. Toilet stall with frosted glass door. Single vanity with coutertop, wall-mounted makeup mirror and 1200w hairdryer. Large jetted tub that looks through large opening into main sleeping/sitting quarters. Not a problem for a normal couple, but if you want any privacy once out of the shower, it ain't happening! (Of course we were OK with it as I always like to give my lovely wife a "woo-woo" when towelling off! Now you know the "type" of person writing this review!) Decent closet space. A few storage drawers. Pull out sofa, single chair and round coffee table in sitting area. In room safe, coffee maker, minibar fridge with beer, soda and water as well as a 3lt bottle of water daily. AC and lighting runs by placing one of your room card keys into the slot inside the door and we left on in 24/7 as I liked our AC to have the room cooled before I return to it. It was adequate. Lighting was decent. TV is about a 27" older analog projection type but did the trick for the limited time we caught up with some late night or morning CNN or FOX news. Housekeeping did a great job on a daily basis. We always left 5USD and a few souveniers each day on our pillow. There are always some inconsistencies. (one day no facecloths, one day no coffee) Haven't found a 4+ resort in Mexico yet that has been top notch in this area. If I really want the "heavenly bed" and thicker pillows then I'll go to Vegas or some upscale hotel at $200 night and I'll get it! Even ran out of shower gel and after is was not refilled the next day, I took the dispenser off of the shower wall, put it on the floor and housekeeping put it back up when they did our room up, but they left it empty! Those type of things really irk some people, but to be honest with you, I almost find them amusing! Small balcony with a table and 2 chairs and a clothesline for each room. If any of our party had any room issues, each building has their own concierge desk in it that is staffed from 7:30am-7pm daily. Our main contacts were Blanca and Isway and they were helpful, engaging and wonderful each and every day!

BEACH: Lots of loungers. Lots of sandy area. Rocky areas entering the water in most places, but negotiable. Jet skis for rent, kayaks and snorkle gear. We brought our own snorkle gear for this resort and it was awesome to snorkel in one of the bays and see a variety of fish, turtles coral and the like each and every time. You can take a banana into the water (3-4ft deep) and you will be surrounded by fish...(and a few gulls!)

POOLS:
A lazy "river" to float in with a tube. (yes they could use more tubes! 24 is what I counted) Takes about 10 min. We got up and staked out pool lounge chairs each morning at 7am. There was always some available it seemed and our capacity was over 90%. We would go for a coffee, meet up with our ladies about 8:30am for breakfast and then hit the loungers! We used the "pary" pool adjacent to the Ranchero restaurant daily and it was a blast. Drink service around the pool (Karen and Paulina...you're wonderful!) The swim up bar always has a shady side and a sunny side. Great variety of drinks. Too weak? I DON'T THINK SO! (At least my brother in law doesn't!) Hahaha! Diego and Ibanue were awesome! When they weren't busy (which didn't happen often!) I was able to have some great conversations regarding themselves and the life and surroundings of a resort bartender! I tipped them often and gave good final tip when I had my last drink and said goodbye. Oscar and the entertainment/animation team work hard and keep the energy level up. A typical day starts with water polo at 10am, water aerobics at 11:30am, poolside dance lessons after that, song trivia challenge and a poolside challenge game in the afternoon finished off with tequila volleyball at 3pm and them one final game. No issues with the water, cleanliness or surrounding. As others have stated, very slippery floors in your room when wet, the poolside restrooms (which are kept very clean) or any other marbled area. Very dangerous in bare feet. Always wear some rubber flip-flops or something!

SPA: We all had a free 90min water therapy spa circuit per room at their spa which all the gals took part in. They loved it so much, we ALL booked the circuit spa on a later day and the gals took part again. It was wonderful. One of our party had a few full body massages as well which he enjoyed. Yane (jonny?) was super in explaining your way through the different stages!

DRINKS: Good variety of your typical tropical variety as well as just about anything else you could ask for. Better top shelf liquor at the lobby bars. Bartenders and serving staff were ALWAYS wonderful. Drop a dollar or two and THANK them. It goes a long way and they really appreciate your sincerity. I have noticed "indifferent" service to some patrons the odd time, but that is because they had to deal with a guest who was either very demanding, rude or obnoxious. Never EVER happened with any of us!

FOOD: Buffet restaurants were quite good. The service staff was usually very good and made sure your drinks were looked after and your used dishes were cleared away. Breakfast is far more choice than you would ever have at home. If there were any complaints, it would be that one morning there were on bananas available and I asked one of the staff and he said "sorry...not today". I walked over to the main buffet restaurant, (we were in the poolside one) grabbed a bunch from their display of about 500 and brought them back for our table! No Problemo if u know what to do! Each morning in each restaurant they were making fresh buns, croissants, baguettes and buns as well as cooking eggs to order, omlettes to order and pancakes and waffles. Along with the other 100+ items to choos from, if someone complained that breakfast was no good...well...then they are just an idiot! Case closed!
Lunch: Poolside, down at the beach bar or in the main buffet gave a great variety of choices. Always something freshly grilled and yes, at times I think some of the pans in the hot case were sitting a little too long as their quality was diminishing. Temperature for hot and cold items was well monitored and maintained at all times. Dinner was themed each night and we enjoyed the decor and food that was offered with each theme.

ALA CARTE RESTAURANTS: We enjoyed the Cajun, Italian, Medeteranean, Steakhouse, Japanese and especially the Brazillian! Roger (Captain in the Japanese at night and El Ranchero buffet in the day) was excellent in helping my wife with gluten free options. One other dining room captain in the Tulum Buffet was excellent in assisting as well. Most ala cartes started with selections from the salad bar which were self serve and then your menu entree choice was served tableside along with dessert and coffee/drinks to follow. Some choices were better than others, but by far, nothing "bad" or undesireable at all!

ENTERTAINMENT: The animation team was super! Oscar, Shy, Sophia, Zeus, Jose and everyone else worked VERY VERY hard to engage and entertain us on a daily and nightly basis. The shows in the theatre each night were from OK to super-duper! The biggest difference at the GSR is that they have a very talented 6 piece band that plays all kinds of music instead of the canned tunes you usually get in the evening. Along with them are some very talented singers that performed live each night and kept the li-syncing to a minimum. Their night of Rock Review through the years was top-notch!

EXCURSIONS: Do the research before you leave home! Want to got to Xel-ha or Xcaret for the day? You can often just take a cab from the hotel, pay the entrance fee and cab it back cheaper than the "all-inclusive" package offered by many companies. You have convenience of your own timetable as well as cost saving to be had. With a party of 8, we found sharing a taxi (10 passenger vans) was a cheap and convenient way to go. Collectivos along the higway are cheaper by far (3.00USD per person) but not convenient for 8 of us. Akumal Public Beach is a great morning or afternoon excursion that you can do on your own and well worth it. Great snorkeling with turtles, stingrays, barracudas and everything else. Playa del Carmen has grown over the years, yet there is a lot of good shopping for souveniers etc either in the "fixed price" stores or with the local vendors that you can barter with. If you want to buy cigars or jewellery of any kind, do some homework first before you go. There are far more fakes, clones simulated items on the market than real. If you think you are buying real Cohibas for $5 or a silver necklace for $10 that is "guaranteed 100% real, my freind!" then give your head a shake! There are good deals, but know what you are looking for!

I do have to say that we enjoyed other resorts more than the Grand Sirenis, but in saying that, we enjoyed the Akumal area for the first time.

The biggest tip that I can offer travellers is this. Treat the staff with respect and a smile. (Kind of like YOU like to be treated!) Look at their name tag and address them by name. If you can't pronounce their name, ask them how to say it. They will be happy to engage you! Even if you have a concern of problem, you get far more flies with honey than you do with vinegar! We found that it wasn't the few dollars that we tipped that made a difference, it is how we acted. Don't forget that most of the staff works 6 days a week, from 8-14 hours a day and they are happy to be there and have a job making your vacation as good as they can. Spread a few dollars around, give a compliment for good service and don't sweat the small stuff! You get to decide if you are going to make the most of your vacation or not. If I let all the little things bother me like some people do, I would never go on vacation...I would just stay home and complain about everything else in life! Life is too short! Enjoy it with family and friends. You are welcome to contact me in regards to any questions you may have. I will respond promptly and hopefully your travels will be rewarding as ours are!

Room Tip: Mayan Riviera Side buliding 19 (even ground floor rooms are excellent!) or building 18 or great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi coolnorth, I would like to thank you for your comprehensive, step-by-step review on your vacation with us. It really shows that you and your party explored all the possibilities that Grand Sirenis has to offer: all different food options, entertainment, beach, pools, SPA… as well as the surrounding areas. I am particularly glad to read that our staff was helpful and kind when assisting you.
Regarding rooming requests, we always try to accommodate all of them if occupancy allows for it, let me tell you that this is done just a few days prior to check-in, as it is not possible for us to foresee months in advance as some rooms might require maintenance or be unavailable for some other reason. Big groups are definitely not looked down on, but just more difficult to accommodate. Anyway, I am glad to read that you and your family we finally accommodated together, and offer my apology for any inconvenience this delay may have caused.
Thank you again for your detailed review on your stay with us. Wishing you the best, and looking forward to see you soon at Grand Sirenis. Daniel – Assistant Manager
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Although I had a wonderful time on my holiday, it was mostly do to the friends we were with and the warm weather. I found the Grand Serenis adequate but lacking in charm, I realize now I prefer a smaller resort. The food was plentiful, but average in quality, and like most resorts they must water down their liquor because it was undetectable in the cocktails. The staff were fantastic, very friendly and accomodating. The room was showing signs of age (mildew on the ceiling causing a musty smell), but the cleaning staff were very good.
When we checked out our final bill was higher than I thought it should be, and when questioned the fellow told me we had rented two movies which added $300.00 pesos to our total. We had watched tv so I asked if it is easy to mistakingly rent something when you didn't mean to and he said no, you have to go through all kinds of steps to rent one. The time it showed us renting two movies was 10:59 and 11:11.........so obviously it was a mistake. It's not like 4 hours had passed and I was claiming ignorance......we had not rented nor watched any movies. They would not cancel the charge and we were made to pay for two movies we never rented. This was infuriating to me and the sole reason I am posting this review......I want others to either choose a different resort, or at the very least be careful with the television remote :(

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed from Feb 5th-12th. I went with my husband 3 sons and my 85 year old father in law. We had a really lovely week with only one minor frustration. I get that out of the way then on to all the good ;) We requested connecting rooms since there was 6 of us. We did not get this at all. We were in building 1600. One room was on the main floor and the other room on the second floor. Not to big of a deal. BUT, there were no stairs or elevator in the 1600 building. So we had to walk all the way to the end of the 1700 building up/down the stairs and all the way back to get to the 1600 building. This was very frustrating for us. I had to seperate my kids and be seperated from my father in law who is older and could have used a bit more help from us. After a couple days we adjusted to it but i was frustrated with this and they didnt even try to accomodate us in any better rooms. Now putting this aside the rest of our stay was OUTSTANDING!
The resort in appearance is stunning! The beach is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It was clean, gorgeous, plenty of chairs at any time of day. The snorkelling was great! We would take a little box of cereal from the breakfast buffet and feed it to the fish and they would just swarm us. We all thought this was pretty cool! If you want to go in the water tho you will need water shoes for sure. We brought all our own snorkel gear and used it every day! We saw stingrays, many types of fish, corals, eels, sea urchins and so much more. Really amazing stuff! The grounds were all well kept and clean. People always cleaning everywhere in either the pool, the floors, etc.The roooms are huge! Which was really great with the kids. The bathrooms were huge also. We used the jacuzzi a couple times and therewas lots of hot water!
Service was wonderful (except the front desk issue at the beginning) Our maids were great, room was super tidy everyday, and our kids made a mess,sand everywhere across the room every day LOL and it was spotless everyday. We left $5 a day and always had enough beer, water and pop in the mini bar. The people that work here at the pool with the games, the kids club, the waiters etc all were just amazing! Friendly and helpful! Drink service at the pool was great! Diego at the swim up bar made the best drinks!
The food for me was OK. There was alot of stuff I had never heard of. Im not to adventurous so alot of it didnt appeal to me. I didnt starve tho by any means they had alot of regular stuff but I found everyday I sort of had to stay to the same thing....potatoes, chicken, roast, gravy, rice, fries, nachos stuff like that. Dessert bar looked great if you like that sort of thing! My husband and FIL thought the food was fantastic! We did the Italian and Brazilian a la carte. Italian was very disappointing. Skip that. The older boys all went to the the Brazilian a la carte and said it was the best meal they ever had! So thats a plus for sure! I think the breakfasts were my favorite. Always so much to choose from! Drinks were plenty and yummy! They have pretty much anything you can imagine. I loved all the frozen drinks and my kids loved the daquiris!
We did the Tulum/Xel-ha excursion. For the 6 of us it cost almost $700. Was it worth it? I dunno. Im on the fence on this. I wish we would have just done all day at Xel-ha. Tulum was too hot for the kids and being a guided tour they were bored and complained alot. If you have little kids I wouldnt reccomend doing this with them. Too hot! The beach there tho is incredible! That alone made Tulum worth it for me. Xel-ha was really nice. Like I said I wish we had been there for the whole day.
It is atleast an hour from the airport and luckily we only had to stop at one other resort on the way and none on the way back. Again my boys were a bit impatient with this but we dealt with it. (Something else to think about if you have little kids) Worth the drive tho for sure! I would certainly go back to this resort! The beach alone did it for me and the heat!!! I think I covered everything but if you have any questions let me know :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the GS in Jan. This is our 5th all exclusive so we did have something to compare this resort to. I will split things into the good and not so good

Good
Ala carts - we tried the Japanese,steakhouse,Italian,Mediterranean
,Cajun
Pools -nod to the lazy river and quiet pools
Staff in restaurants,pools and transport
Rooms - large and well maintained. Although the first night while doing the bed bug check(there weren't any) A cockroach ran across the top of the bed. Some what freaked out but it is a tropical country and have seen plenty more in Hawaii! Note bath and shower area is open to room but toilet has its own enclosed room.

Not Good
Buffet -the worst we have had. Lots of recycling,no seafood other than small shrimp in one salad all week
Disco -bathrooms were dirty and staff unbelievably rude and arrogant- held a "drinking contest one night so they could all "win" and tie one on
Animal issues - lots of raccoons that are very aggressive due to the design of the hotel. Guests leave room service trays out in the open air corridors and the raccoons know this and come through every night making a huge mess
Beach- not the best we have experienced on the Mayan. Quite rocky and windy.

Room Tip: We found we could do walk ups to the ala carts if we were willing to eat early - before 7
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hi KT324, I would like to thank you for your comments, as they always help us in improving our services to our guests.
I am glad that you enjoyed our variety in pools, and that generally staff at the hotel were up to the standard you expected.
However, I am surprised to read that you think that the buffet recicles the food, which is not the case. Actually, we follow a weekly meal plan, and we prepare all the food daily. This way, breakfast, lunch and dinner consist of a different combination of dishes every day.
Anyway, I thank you again for sending your feedback, customer comments are always welcome and appreciated. Best regards, Daniel – Assistant Manager
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Am writing this whilst sitting sipping one of their fab cocktails. Was wary about comin here following all the negative comments onhere, but this hotel is fantastic the setting is breathtaking, the rooms are lovely, food is great...need I go on. Swam with turtles this morning right off the beach. Big thanks to the amazing staff who can, t do enough for you. Loved the whole hols. The only negative is the appalling bad manners of some of the other holiday makers but the hotel can.t help that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!