“Be careful with the tv remote!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Winnipeg, Canada
“Be careful with the tv remote!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Although I had a wonderful time on my holiday, it was mostly do to the friends we were with and the warm weather. I found the Grand Serenis adequate but lacking in charm, I realize now I prefer a smaller resort. The food was plentiful, but average in quality, and like most resorts they must water down their liquor because it was undetectable in the cocktails. The staff were fantastic, very friendly and accomodating. The room was showing signs of age (mildew on the ceiling causing a musty smell), but the cleaning staff were very good.
When we checked out our final bill was higher than I thought it should be, and when questioned the fellow told me we had rented two movies which added $300.00 pesos to our total. We had watched tv so I asked if it is easy to mistakingly rent something when you didn't mean to and he said no, you have to go through all kinds of steps to rent one. The time it showed us renting two movies was 10:59 and 11:11.........so obviously it was a mistake. It's not like 4 hours had passed and I was claiming ignorance......we had not rented nor watched any movies. They would not cancel the charge and we were made to pay for two movies we never rented. This was infuriating to me and the sole reason I am posting this review......I want others to either choose a different resort, or at the very least be careful with the television remote :(

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,126)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed from Feb 5th-12th. I went with my husband 3 sons and my 85 year old father in law. We had a really lovely week with only one minor frustration. I get that out of the way then on to all the good ;) We requested connecting rooms since there was 6 of us. We did not get this at all. We were in building 1600. One room was on the main floor and the other room on the second floor. Not to big of a deal. BUT, there were no stairs or elevator in the 1600 building. So we had to walk all the way to the end of the 1700 building up/down the stairs and all the way back to get to the 1600 building. This was very frustrating for us. I had to seperate my kids and be seperated from my father in law who is older and could have used a bit more help from us. After a couple days we adjusted to it but i was frustrated with this and they didnt even try to accomodate us in any better rooms. Now putting this aside the rest of our stay was OUTSTANDING!
The resort in appearance is stunning! The beach is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It was clean, gorgeous, plenty of chairs at any time of day. The snorkelling was great! We would take a little box of cereal from the breakfast buffet and feed it to the fish and they would just swarm us. We all thought this was pretty cool! If you want to go in the water tho you will need water shoes for sure. We brought all our own snorkel gear and used it every day! We saw stingrays, many types of fish, corals, eels, sea urchins and so much more. Really amazing stuff! The grounds were all well kept and clean. People always cleaning everywhere in either the pool, the floors, etc.The roooms are huge! Which was really great with the kids. The bathrooms were huge also. We used the jacuzzi a couple times and therewas lots of hot water!
Service was wonderful (except the front desk issue at the beginning) Our maids were great, room was super tidy everyday, and our kids made a mess,sand everywhere across the room every day LOL and it was spotless everyday. We left $5 a day and always had enough beer, water and pop in the mini bar. The people that work here at the pool with the games, the kids club, the waiters etc all were just amazing! Friendly and helpful! Drink service at the pool was great! Diego at the swim up bar made the best drinks!
The food for me was OK. There was alot of stuff I had never heard of. Im not to adventurous so alot of it didnt appeal to me. I didnt starve tho by any means they had alot of regular stuff but I found everyday I sort of had to stay to the same thing....potatoes, chicken, roast, gravy, rice, fries, nachos stuff like that. Dessert bar looked great if you like that sort of thing! My husband and FIL thought the food was fantastic! We did the Italian and Brazilian a la carte. Italian was very disappointing. Skip that. The older boys all went to the the Brazilian a la carte and said it was the best meal they ever had! So thats a plus for sure! I think the breakfasts were my favorite. Always so much to choose from! Drinks were plenty and yummy! They have pretty much anything you can imagine. I loved all the frozen drinks and my kids loved the daquiris!
We did the Tulum/Xel-ha excursion. For the 6 of us it cost almost $700. Was it worth it? I dunno. Im on the fence on this. I wish we would have just done all day at Xel-ha. Tulum was too hot for the kids and being a guided tour they were bored and complained alot. If you have little kids I wouldnt reccomend doing this with them. Too hot! The beach there tho is incredible! That alone made Tulum worth it for me. Xel-ha was really nice. Like I said I wish we had been there for the whole day.
It is atleast an hour from the airport and luckily we only had to stop at one other resort on the way and none on the way back. Again my boys were a bit impatient with this but we dealt with it. (Something else to think about if you have little kids) Worth the drive tho for sure! I would certainly go back to this resort! The beach alone did it for me and the heat!!! I think I covered everything but if you have any questions let me know :)

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the GS in Jan. This is our 5th all exclusive so we did have something to compare this resort to. I will split things into the good and not so good

Good
Ala carts - we tried the Japanese,steakhouse,Italian,Mediterranean
,Cajun
Pools -nod to the lazy river and quiet pools
Staff in restaurants,pools and transport
Rooms - large and well maintained. Although the first night while doing the bed bug check(there weren't any) A cockroach ran across the top of the bed. Some what freaked out but it is a tropical country and have seen plenty more in Hawaii! Note bath and shower area is open to room but toilet has its own enclosed room.

Not Good
Buffet -the worst we have had. Lots of recycling,no seafood other than small shrimp in one salad all week
Disco -bathrooms were dirty and staff unbelievably rude and arrogant- held a "drinking contest one night so they could all "win" and tie one on
Animal issues - lots of raccoons that are very aggressive due to the design of the hotel. Guests leave room service trays out in the open air corridors and the raccoons know this and come through every night making a huge mess
Beach- not the best we have experienced on the Mayan. Quite rocky and windy.

Room Tip: We found we could do walk ups to the ala carts if we were willing to eat early - before 7
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hi KT324, I would like to thank you for your comments, as they always help us in improving our services to our guests.
I am glad that you enjoyed our variety in pools, and that generally staff at the hotel were up to the standard you expected.
However, I am surprised to read that you think that the buffet recicles the food, which is not the case. Actually, we follow a weekly meal plan, and we prepare all the food daily. This way, breakfast, lunch and dinner consist of a different combination of dishes every day.
Anyway, I thank you again for sending your feedback, customer comments are always welcome and appreciated. Best regards, Daniel – Assistant Manager
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Am writing this whilst sitting sipping one of their fab cocktails. Was wary about comin here following all the negative comments onhere, but this hotel is fantastic the setting is breathtaking, the rooms are lovely, food is great...need I go on. Swam with turtles this morning right off the beach. Big thanks to the amazing staff who can, t do enough for you. Loved the whole hols. The only negative is the appalling bad manners of some of the other holiday makers but the hotel can.t help that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a nice resort. The lazy river is great for kids. The food at the buffet is good and the beach food is quick and also good. There is a coffee house with fresh coffe and other goodies and icecream in three different areas. Shows were so-so. The beach is really great for all ages. Private and great for seeing fish and turtles. This resort is quite large and mirrors itself...confusing at first. We had two kids under 5 and they were pretty tired from all the walking. Very good resort, but thought the price was a little high for what was offered (overall package)

Melville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had a mix of good and bad, this is no 5 star resort and we will not be going back.

The good, the pools and beach were awesome, beautiful and well kept. If you are going to try the snorkeling bring your own gear, the mask and snorkel they gave me were not cleaned from the previous user.

The food was alright, breakfast buffet had alot to offer but after 4 days it was bland, nothing special.

Lunch was great, dinners were ok, my steak at the steak restaurant was a joke 1/4 inch thick yup thats 5 star dining lol. The Brazilian was at best ok and we could not get into the Japanese restaurant.

We had a very special night planned, we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on Valentine's so we met with the concierge and arranged for a baby sitter for our 2 kids. One of the concierges promised us that she personaly would be there at 7:45, she never showed up so at 8:00 we called the front desk. They could not find her and sent someone else. The concierge will also try to get you to go on some sort of time share selling scheme it went something like you get a $100 of a fourth restaurant I think the french if you sit through it, after we said no they called our room the next day and tried again.
The day before we left my wife went to the front desk and went over our departure times. At 5:30 am I awoke to the bell boy banging on our door waking up our two kids, he had the wrong time, it was supposed to be 11:30. Well the front desk must not have believed him so they called at 6:00 and woke the kids up again. Honestly, they have our flight schedule.

Well thats it, loved the beach and pools, food was ok, service for food and drinks was great. Service from the concierge and front desk was the worst we have encountered.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the pools and/or beach, the resort is huge, so there is a lot of walking if y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi Wild_100, thank you for taking your time to share your feedback, I really appreciate it as it is a source for continuous improvement for us.
To make reference to the baby sitter, i am glad to know that we solved the issue, and you were able to enyoy your special night, nevertheless I apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.
Regarding to the wake up, I know that due to the great amount of pick up requests we handle, the hotel is always exposed to human mistakes and we are always in the best disposition to solve them immediately. This is why I want to offer you a sincere apology.
I thank you again for taking your time to review you vacation with us. Very best, Daniel – Assistant Manager
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Where to start. Having never done All inclusive before maybe there are better places than this, but in terms of value for money and a greatr holiday, it was FANTASTIC! - please do not be put off by soem of the reviews on here,

Was it perfect? No. The negatives:

- bed linen is somewhat tired
- bedroom curtains are a little thin, meaning you are woken early by the sun every day
- the food at times is of average quality and on the buffet it isnt always piping hot
- there isnt a great deal to do on an evening after watch the sometimes average shows

The positives: a much longer list!

- the staff must come first. They are without exception, friendly, smiley, helpful and happy i0n their work. Yes, a little tipping is gratefully received but not necessary. a big mention to "Leydi" at the beach bar and "Antonio" at the theatre bar
- the rooms are very large and well equipped. who cares if the TV isnt flat screen? Is that why we go to Mexico?
- the bathrooms are very well equipped - not sure where the stories of 45 mins to fill the jacuzzi comes from
- the whole resort is very very well maintained
- the beach is fantastic - go to the left of the ruin and rocks in the sea are not a worry
- breakfast is fantastic
- the Japanese restaurant is good fun. The steak house and Brazilian are both good
- very handy for Akumal and Playa del Carmen by Collectivo form the end fo the drive.

Please, please, please do not worry if you are booked to go to the Grand Sirenis - it is fab

Room Tip: We were in 1344 - a bit of a walk but with all that food we were glad of the exercise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!