We were a group of 6 adults from the uk and stayed for 2 weeks from 23rd January. I read many of the reviews before travelling and a few since returning and I guess if you discount the very negative reviews along with the "absolutely fantastic" ones you get a pretty comprehensive idea of what the resort experience was like for the majority of people who go. We went with no illusions of 5 star luxury, really, people only need to check the amount they paid against other resorts to know that they were opting for something less than perfect. In the event we thought the value per pound was excellent and if we want something better next time we know that we will pay an awful lot more for it.
For what it's worth we were happy with most things especialy the service from all the staff including the sometimes criticised concierges. Ours, in block 2400 was excellent and we had no trouble getting the a la cartes booked - thanks Marleen!
This is very much a family resort and as we travelled without children felt there could have been more to do in the evenings especially if the theatre shows were of little interest (good as they were). The bars in the two main buildings may as well have been in a shopping precinct or an airport departure lounge due to the vast size of the buildings and gave no feeling of intimacy. The sheer size of the buildings meant that acoustics were poor and any live music was lost in an echo of white noise. The only other place to go was the disco and as we are a little too old for drum and base music (50 somethings) it was not for us. I think the resort would benefit by using somewhere like the bayou restaurant as a late evening bar rather than as an a la carte with a bit of 60s, 70s and 80s music thrown in.
Would we go back? Yes for the wonderful staff, the lazy river, the snorkelling and the surprisingly good hamburgers served on the beach! But next time armed with the kids and grand kids - they would love it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Orbitz and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Akumal, Mexico