since we were last here and the food has improved as has the maintenance.
The food in the specialty restaurants is definitely better, and the beach party was excellent.
The light in the pools now comes on at dusk and the management seems to be more responsive to complaints.
What's not to like? The lazy river ride is great, the snorkeling right off the beach is spectacular (Saw a small octopus, stingrays, small sea turtle, numerous fish and lots of brightly colored coral.)
The pools are LONG so that you can do lap swimming. The coffee shop does a great job of making all sorts of creations, and the main restaurants are all air conditioned. The free day at the water spa was great, and the abundance of shrimp and lobster at meals made me a happy camper.
Suggestions: Try to get VIP status, it defiantly has some perks.
Take a collectivo ($2 per person) to Akamal, or Tulum and a taxi back ($20 us for 5). (For some reason, a taxi from the hotel is much more expensive then one in the reverse direction.)
You can easily snorkel outside of the swimming area without too much danger, and that is where the best stuff is to be seen. The champagne was better than the wine and available everywhere. The internet was best if you are on on the room balcony (you can see the antennas on long poles in front of the hotel buildings) or in the main area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Orbitz and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Akumal, Mexico