“Another unforgettable vacation in Riviera Maya, Mexico” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary
“Another unforgettable vacation in Riviera Maya, Mexico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been home for almost 2 weeks from our vacation in Grand Sirenis, Mayan Beach and I can not shake off that vacation feeling, the dreams about the beautiful places we have been and the wonderful experiences that we had. We stayed there between Dec 13 and 28, 2012.

The good:
1. The location of the resort is excellent. We had visited the turtles in Akumal Bay several years ago from Gran Bahia Principe. This time we wanted to show them to our kids. We chose this resort deliberately, since it is several km far from Akumal (for viewing turtles, sting ray and coral reef fish) and Yal-Ku (same). To get to Akumal we used a taxi - $15-20 from the lobby which seems to be a more comfortable option in terms of time allocated and money if you bring you family with you than $40/person for 1hr swim with the turtles, which is offered from the resort via water taxi. Also the resort is relatively close to Tulum and Coba. One could get to Tulum for $3/person one way using collectivo (the local transport) if he/she goes to the highway. For Coba ruins we rented a car a few years ago.
2. Great snorkeling in the resort. I could count between 30 to 50 species of fish. It has a sting ray and 2 turtles in the bay of the resort, which makes it not necessary to go to Akumal, except that the turtles in Akumal Bay are bigger. Bring your own snorkeling gear and PFDs so you are not dependent on the rental equipment.
3. Bring water socks / water shoes - there is lots of coral on the beach/shallow water.
4. There is daily grill of meat and fish in the buffets and also on the beach.
5. Although we were there during the Christmas season the beach and pools were not crowded. This is a first time I feel that my privacy was not invaded by other guests. At certain point before our leaving to Mexico I was afraid that there might not be enough lounges and/or towels since we were to go during the busiest time of the year. Yet the resort has huge beach and perimeter of the pools so there is always space. We could surely find lounges before 10am.
6. All of the a-la-cart restaurants are excellent while the buffet is kinda skimpy. Since we were there 15 days we had a right to 7 restaurants plus the Christmas Eve gala. I seem to like the Steak and Brazilian restaurants best. In this resort there is a gap in terms of quality of food between the buffet and restaurants - the quality is a way better in the restaurants. We sometimes used the beach snack bar for lunch.
7. When we arrived I requested a room without a "hole in the bathroom wall", which is a "romantic opening between bathroom and bedroom" (see solution to this problem in my pictures) and we were put in 2716 which is on the ground floor looking towards the ocean and does not have the infamous hole. There is a garden before it and one would feel as it is on a patio (very nice touch). However this particular room smelled a bit like mold. We upgraded to 3rd floor, 2740, where there was no such smell and we also got 180deg. ocean view. We loved it.
8. We loved the specialty "shops": ice cream parlor, coffee shop, health bar and the lazy river. Make sure you keep your extremities inside the tube - the surface of the lazy river can scratch you badly. Also use the entry stair carefully - it is not connected properly and one may fall.
9. Excellent band capable of playing such wide variety of music! We loved their live music performances, especially the 2 rock nights!
10. Live music during the night in the lobby, which seemed to be good for dancing but no one of the guest used that opportunity.
11. Nice music everywhere, thanks to the DJs.
12. The resort has electric cars which means that there are no nasty fumes.
13. On our last night there was a great beach party in the beach snack bar. Look for it, ask about it!
14. Try the local Mezcal and Don Pedro Especial. I seem to like them.
15. Botanic garden in Riviera Maya which is part of the resort.
16. The architecture of the buildings, although the guests and staff would have benefited if eaves-trough were installed. This would remove the excess water from the bridges when it rains.
17. Not pushy sales people. In other resorts there is multitude of people selling stuff on the beach or staff who ask you to go diving everyday. Not such thing here. Very low key selling of diving trips.
18. Not cheeky animation team. Which is good if one wants to be left alone during the day.

The not so good:
1. Not having self serve water stations except in the gym - one has to wait for a bartender to pour it, which could have been avoided to save both waiting time and effort for the bartenders.
2. Dirty dishes. I had to wipe several of them clean or leave them aside if there was no napkin in sight. We did not get sick there though.
3. Lack of enough vegetable salads. If I am to compare Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana (GBPPC) which had huge selection of salads in 2011 and Grand Sirenis I would give 10 points for the variety of food and especially salads to GBPPC and about 2 to Grand Sirenis. See also point 6 above.
4. There are rather brave raccoons/birds, who steal food the moment you are a step away from it. Take care to guard it. Guests leave plates with food from the room service in front of their doors and racoons get to it. One night I observed a raccoon deliberately scanning each floor of each building for this food. I see a potential to spread disease.
5. This resort is not geared for dancing. The culture of the guests is sitting and listening to music. The Disco is far from the common areas. Usual resort plans accommodate the movement of the "party" from the entertainment theater to the disco which is usually close by. While in this resort it is a probably about a km walk/or bus drive from the entertainment theater to the Disco. We visited the Disco about 4 times, it was always empty with max 3 girls dancing and 30 guys drinking on the sides. In GBPPC everyone from the staff danced, even the servers while working which contributed to the nice atmosphere. Here the culture is very conservative. In GBPPC the party moved from the theater to an open area for dancing and then to the Disco. The atmosphere there was set for dancing - entertainment / animation team members were busy asking people to dance/teach them to dance. In Grand Sirenis I did not see an effort from the part of the entertainment / animation team to have people dance.
6. Lesser number of female dancers than male dancers. The shows seemed disproportionate in that respect.
7. The resort seemed somewhat understaffed. While there were many concierges to book ones restaurant there was not enough staff in buffets or restaurants, especially with the multitude of demanding guests.
8. PFDs are quite worn off/torn. Same goes for the kayak paddles, helmets... these need to be replaced.
9. Not sure whether this is the case with all ground floor suites - moldy smell on 1st floor.

Overall we all liked the resort very much and would recommend especially to people who like snorkeling. The only serious problem we see is the dirty dishes (esp. the ones in the beach snack-bar).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,476)
  • Polish first
Jersey, CI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked the Grand Sirenis because it was the cheapest 5* resort in Mexico for the period of our holiday. Having booked it, we looked at TripAdvisor and were suddenly apprehensive as to whether we had made the right choice.

I'm glad we stuck with it.

OK, maybe it wasn't quite a proper 5* resort. There were minor gripes - the staff tend to be a bit stretched, and drinks can take a long time in coming; we regularly had to ask for items the maid had forgotten to provide, such as towels, shampoo, body wash, etc. However, having said that, it was actually generally extremely good.

There are loads of bars and snack bars around during the day, and in the evening, the bars in the main building are a lovely place to be - and will provide international branded drinks (Glenfiddich, Bombay Sapphire etc) if you ask for them.

We were more than pleasantly surprised by the overall resort. The architecture is "challenging", but actually works. There are three swimming pools plus a kids' pool. Two of these pools cater to those who want to spend their day hanging round the swim-up bar, listening to thumping music, with their children screaming in the background. The third pool is amazingly tranquil, and a wonderful place to pass the time.

The restaurants are pretty good. We spent 11 nights there, and consequently received 6 nights in the "a la carte" restaurants. These provided a pleasant (but by no means exceptional) main course, although starters were still in the form of a buffet. Our other nights were in the buffet. This was generally adequate rather than exquisite, but certainly no worse than other buffets in all-inclusive resorts. There was only one night where we were unable to find anything edible other than the meat from the grill.

The beach is lovely. Much of it is, I strongly suspect, artificial, and so has only a very thin layer of sand, beneath which is rock and hard ground. The beach by the sea is very pleasant, if somewhat stony. It could perhaps benefit from daily raking, but certainly isn't dirty.

The resort as a whole is very clean and very well maintained. The staff are very keen to assist when they can (although they are used to Americans tipping them and have come to expect it as a matter of course).

The rooms are very large and perfectly pleasant. We had a room on the top floor (of three) and didn't have any problems with unwanted guests from the insect kingdom. The design of the bathroom, with the large void into the bedroom, is unusual, but doesn't generally pose a problem except for the very prudish.

The hotel promises a vastly improved service to those who sign up to their Premier Travellers' Club. This involves a morning visiting the rooms you could get if you were to sign up. Whilst fun to have a look round the presidential suites, I suggest you choose a rainy / overcast day for this generally tedious tour (if you bother) and I wouldn't personally sign up to it, as it's very expensive and I'm sure you'll regret it when you get home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya. This was our first trip to this resort although my son and his wife honeymooned there last year and were excited to go back. This is a massive resort that has in the neighbourhood of 1900 rooms and had over 3200 guests staying at the time we were there. I will begin by saying this was our ninth trip to Mexico in the last eleven years so I do have a good basis to compare resorts. The rooms were nice, not the best I've seen in Mexico, but better than many. There were a number of dining options where the food was good if not great. The best of the a la carte was the Japanese restaurant. The others were ok but not what I would expect at a five star resort. The pools were good, my only concern being that there was no adult only pool on this extensive resort. The beaches were nice, but need some maintenance work. There are a lot of rocky areas. While we were there my wife, daughter-in-law and I became ill with my wife being the sickest. We ended up at the on-site doctor's office where the first thing she was told was how much everything was going to cost. Eventually the doctor told her she had probably burst an ear drum and had a chest infection. Our next adventure was to try and cancel an excursion because we were sick. It eventually cost $105 cdn to get this same doctor to write a note to say one of us was too sick to go before the excursion operator would finally, if reluctantly, refund our money. I also cancelled a spa visit because of being sick. While the experience was not as frustrating as the above the concierge' in our building were decidedly unhappy to do this even though I gave more than 24 hours notice. Also it appeared to us that the primary purpose of these concierge' was to convince you to go to a 'breakfast meeting' lasting no more than 1 - 2 hours (their words. Meetings actually went on for 3 - 4 hours and took up the entire morning), about the benefits of a time share. While I know that this practice happens at a lot of places in Mexico, starting in the airports, I am not interested and do not want ot waste my time, no matter what the free gift is. In short this is an very average resort, not really bad but not anywhere near the five star billing it currently has. My son and daughter-in-law who were excited to return after the great time they had on their honeymoon were very disappointed and have said they will not return. There is nothing outstanding here to draw me back for another stay nor to reccommend this resort to anyone else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here a couple years back and now just getting to review. No complaints at all. First things though, you can't compare a 5* resort in this area of the world with a 5* resort in London or Dubai!! It's 5* for this area, the best you'll get HERE.

All we expect of a holiday is the room is clean, the food is edible and we have fun. Rooms here were great. We had a ground floor room and yes they do smell a little of mould but its part and parcel of living in this area of the world. Our noses became immune after 24 hours so it didn't bother us. Lovely small balcony overlooking the grounds, a stones through from the pool. Plenty loungers although if you wanted one right next to the pool then you had to be early. Drinks service at the pool was good while we were there, all staff work incredibly hard. We tipped every other time but not to get preferential service, just to say thanks for their hard work. Beach is small but was lovely, great snorkelling right off the beach too.

Food, always an emotive subject when on holiday. In my opinion food was good, plenty of choice, typical buffet food when travelling in this area of the world. Brazilian a la carte was amazing! Japanese a la carte the best, so good we went twice.

Trips were plentiful and although we had an issue with the wrong trip being booked for us (correct info on ticket so we were none the wiser) the tour guide did what he could to make the trip practical for my disabled husband.

The resort is large but not as big as I was expecting. After booking I was concerned we had made the wrong choice due to mobility issues but we were surprised that although the resort is big it is all easily accessible and distances between areas weren't really that far

I would return to this resort and would recommend it.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the worst of the damp smell avoid a ground floor room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went to the Grand Sirenis in November/December 2012. We had read all the reviews and seen videos of the place but still didn't really expect it to be as great as it was.

It is situated on the beach with a fabulous coral reef teaming with fish. The swimming pool options offer something for everyone - noisy pool with games or quiet pool or something in between

We loved the fact that there are a variety of animals roaming around - racoons, iguanas, coati mundi and agouti were all living around the hotel as well as countless different birds. We went for a walk along the beach to see how far you could walk and I saw a snake too!

I was sceptical about the all inclusive nature of the resort - I thought I would feel trapped but found that as it was sooo large and everything was just there it was a perfect place to relax.

We went on the timeshare presentation - it was what it said it was going to be and the offer is probably great if that is what you want but it wasn't for us. We did it for the discount we were offered on a excursion to Xcaret which we enjoyed.

The food is fantastic - again was sceptical that it could be as good as everyone said but it is. Coctails were good too. Also agree with others about the beach bar - fabulous tacos and again great service.

The only down side was that some people felt it was their duty to wake up others when returning from the disco at night

We got up early everyday to listen to the birds and jungle outside coming to life.

The staff are all friendly and fun. We had a great time and would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Right, let me start this review but saying not to believe the absolute verbal diarrhoea that has been put in some of the reviews here. I try to see the good in people so won't call them names but feel sad that they want to nit pick and that it may just be in their nature to complain and moan about things. If you are looking for faults in anything then you will find them, turn it inwards, look at your own faults and pay ten times more and go somewhere more to your taste....that's if you can afford it.
Now...Gran Sirenis is a beautiful place to go for families, couples and friends. We had the pleasure of staying there in September for 2 weeks.
The food was brilliant, there is such a huge variety that you would have to be a vegan that didn't eat vegetables to struggle. It IS all FRESH and they are accommodating if you want to try something which isn't obviously out there. We had champagne and exotic fruits on arrival which was lovely and put on for our honeymoon. We ate at most of the restaurants....my personal favourites were the steakhouse, Japanese and French. The evening entertainment was so much fun and although it rained we made friends with other couples and played cards, had fun running around with our towels over our heads to and from the ice cream palour and went to the Spa a few days.
I saw no really awful spiders/insects that were bigger than my little finger. The wildlife was amazing and the sea was beautiful and full of fish. Lovely feeding them at the shoreline with bits of bread and seeing them swoop to you and swim around your legs. Beautiful lizards, my favourite were the little jesus Christ lizards that run away on two legs! None of the animals apart from a few overly friendly racoons really come near you. Little burgar bar on the beach was amazing and had great taco's and freshly made barbecued burgars.
Great cocktails served at pool bars where there was fun pool games and entertainment during the day and also at night in the bars you could get all you wanted and more.
I was ill when I was out there but nothing that a quick trip to the store in the main entrance/lower bar shop couldn't fix and my voice was back though I was recommended tequilas by the Mexicans!
Everyone that worked there can't do enough to help you and you don't have to constantly tip....treat people how you wish to be treated, a smile, thank you and 'ola' when you see people is all it takes, and we're glad to say that we made great friends out there....Elizabeth that was always serving us drinks by the pool (Queen Elizabeth), JD who works for Sirenis and also Edgar made our trip unforgettable. So much so that I am going back in 2 months with my Sister....LOVED IT! Enjoy yourself if you are headed there...I'm green with envy!

Jane and Jonny

Room Tip: IF you don't ask you don't get and there's not point in complaining if you don't ask...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I went to the Gran Sirenis with my entire family, 17 people in all ranging in a age from 3-70 years old. My opinion of the place is decidedly mixed - but I will try to give as clear a picture as possible.

The positive: The resort calls itself 5 star and it definitely is not. I would say it hovers somewhere around 3.5 stars. The grounds are very well maintained, lush and tropical and everything is extremely clean. The people who work at the resort are on the whole very nice and helpful and will do what they can to be accommodating. The pools are great. The bigger pools had a gradual entry that my kids loved. There were always enough palapas and loungers both by the pool and the beach. The lazy river was fun. Although the beach didn't have the turquoise waters of Tulum, I thought it was quite lovely and even with the naked eye you could see colourful fish swimming in the shallow water. The daily trip to the ice cream shop was definitely a big hit with young ones. My 7 year old son and I both got sick while we were there (through NO fault of the resort) and the medical centre was very helpful and they spoke perfect English, which is a definite plus when you need some relief. We went to the spa and it was okay - everyone was nice. The water therapies were pleasant but my massage (which was supposed to be deep tissue but wasn't really) was really nothing to write home about. The gym was adequate, but I found there wasn't enough room for stretching.

Now for the negative: The food was bad. Quite bad. I have been to a few all inclusive resorts before and the best compliment we could any particular dish was "it's edible." My kids refused the pizza and the french fries they were just that bad. The quality of the food was poor - fatty cuts of meat, spongy hotdogs, overcooked pasta. They had a lot of variety - but none of it was done well. We left a lot of food over and while we hated doing this - once we put the food on our plate we found that a lot of it was inedible. This was the consensus of our entire party. We tried a few restaurants - the best one I went to was the Japanese restaurant (it was okay - nothing special) but my brother also enjoyed the Mexican restaurant. Honestly - I just wish that they had less variety and just made a few things well. For me enjoyable, healthful food is a really big part of a holiday - so that was a great disappointment.

As for the drinks - they were okay. They definitely do not use top shelf stuff, but rather "no-name brands" - another sign that it isn't a 5 star resort.

The rooms were okay. The beds were lumpy, but I'm not so picky about that. While the rooms were large the bathroom/sleep area layout is very strange. Some rooms had a large glass triangle a divider between the bathroom/sleep area, which still doesn't give you a lot of privacy, but our room didn't even have that. The rooms are also very musty. Almost everyone in my party had to switch rooms to try to find a less musty room. I have travelled a lot in Latin America and I know that a certain amount of mustiness in the tropics is inevitable (the last all-inclusive we stayed at even provided some lovely incense to help with that) but my whole family is having a very hard time getting the smell out of their clothes even after washing them 2 and 3 times. My mother is currently getting all of her clothes dry-cleaned and the travel agent is covering the cost.

I can't really comment about the kids' club because my kids wanted to hang out with us, but it looked fine. I am also not really into resort entertainment, but every time I walked past the the theatre during their performances it seemed like everyone was having a good time. I do wish that they would have had less "entertainment" by the big pool. There is a quiet pool without the animation team, but because I have small children who wanted to use the gradual entrance, I couldn't use that pool. I could have done without the blaring music and constant loud encouragement by the animation staff to join in whatever contest they were having. Sometimes it's just nice to have some quiet and relaxation.

All in all - I had a good time there. I love Mexico and the weather was beautiful and my kids could stay at the pool all day. But, there are much better places out there and the food was so bad that it actually put a damper on my whole experience. In my opinion, and the opinion of everyone in my party - if you're considering the Gran Sirenis - keep looking.

Room Tip: The higher up the rooms are - the less musty the smell.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#101 of 201 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 4,890 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!