“Some good stuff - but Wouldn't Return” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Canada
“Some good stuff - but Wouldn't Return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I went to the Gran Sirenis with my entire family, 17 people in all ranging in a age from 3-70 years old. My opinion of the place is decidedly mixed - but I will try to give as clear a picture as possible.

The positive: The resort calls itself 5 star and it definitely is not. I would say it hovers somewhere around 3.5 stars. The grounds are very well maintained, lush and tropical and everything is extremely clean. The people who work at the resort are on the whole very nice and helpful and will do what they can to be accommodating. The pools are great. The bigger pools had a gradual entry that my kids loved. There were always enough palapas and loungers both by the pool and the beach. The lazy river was fun. Although the beach didn't have the turquoise waters of Tulum, I thought it was quite lovely and even with the naked eye you could see colourful fish swimming in the shallow water. The daily trip to the ice cream shop was definitely a big hit with young ones. My 7 year old son and I both got sick while we were there (through NO fault of the resort) and the medical centre was very helpful and they spoke perfect English, which is a definite plus when you need some relief. We went to the spa and it was okay - everyone was nice. The water therapies were pleasant but my massage (which was supposed to be deep tissue but wasn't really) was really nothing to write home about. The gym was adequate, but I found there wasn't enough room for stretching.

Now for the negative: The food was bad. Quite bad. I have been to a few all inclusive resorts before and the best compliment we could any particular dish was "it's edible." My kids refused the pizza and the french fries they were just that bad. The quality of the food was poor - fatty cuts of meat, spongy hotdogs, overcooked pasta. They had a lot of variety - but none of it was done well. We left a lot of food over and while we hated doing this - once we put the food on our plate we found that a lot of it was inedible. This was the consensus of our entire party. We tried a few restaurants - the best one I went to was the Japanese restaurant (it was okay - nothing special) but my brother also enjoyed the Mexican restaurant. Honestly - I just wish that they had less variety and just made a few things well. For me enjoyable, healthful food is a really big part of a holiday - so that was a great disappointment.

As for the drinks - they were okay. They definitely do not use top shelf stuff, but rather "no-name brands" - another sign that it isn't a 5 star resort.

The rooms were okay. The beds were lumpy, but I'm not so picky about that. While the rooms were large the bathroom/sleep area layout is very strange. Some rooms had a large glass triangle a divider between the bathroom/sleep area, which still doesn't give you a lot of privacy, but our room didn't even have that. The rooms are also very musty. Almost everyone in my party had to switch rooms to try to find a less musty room. I have travelled a lot in Latin America and I know that a certain amount of mustiness in the tropics is inevitable (the last all-inclusive we stayed at even provided some lovely incense to help with that) but my whole family is having a very hard time getting the smell out of their clothes even after washing them 2 and 3 times. My mother is currently getting all of her clothes dry-cleaned and the travel agent is covering the cost.

I can't really comment about the kids' club because my kids wanted to hang out with us, but it looked fine. I am also not really into resort entertainment, but every time I walked past the the theatre during their performances it seemed like everyone was having a good time. I do wish that they would have had less "entertainment" by the big pool. There is a quiet pool without the animation team, but because I have small children who wanted to use the gradual entrance, I couldn't use that pool. I could have done without the blaring music and constant loud encouragement by the animation staff to join in whatever contest they were having. Sometimes it's just nice to have some quiet and relaxation.

All in all - I had a good time there. I love Mexico and the weather was beautiful and my kids could stay at the pool all day. But, there are much better places out there and the food was so bad that it actually put a damper on my whole experience. In my opinion, and the opinion of everyone in my party - if you're considering the Gran Sirenis - keep looking.

Room Tip: The higher up the rooms are - the less musty the smell.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

4,739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
  • Polish first
Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Visited the hotel for X-mas 2012 with my father for a week hoping for some fun and relaxing holidays.
The highlights: I want to stress the professionalism and excellent service of the diving facilities at the hotel (managed by UTW). I did most of the activities I could, each was fantastic. Their staff -ALL OF IT- is the best!! I highly recommend them to both experienced and new divers. For my father (an elder), the healing massage at the SPA and the view to the jungle were fantastic. The hotel is not very old and mostly well preserved. In terms of hotel service, it's not bad, although there are a few individuals whose personal effort makes a tremendous difference. For example, the waiter Fernando Carrillo at the main restaurant or the maid in building 16 who made very nice and elaborate figures with towels in our room every day. They deserve every tip.
The drawbacks: the hotel emphasises many activities but much less so the beach (it has much more potential. Honestly, grand hotels you find everywhere, your beach is unique!!)... same applies to trying to get a room overlooking the sea (regardless of the fact that you pay a substantial difference for it), they are reserved for members of their rewards scheme and you must go to a breakfast and waist a morning for that... other than that employees seem to be on the minimum wage and chasing a decent income through tips which make some very kind and service-oriented but others rather desperate and ill humoured. Perhaps the worse of all is that red wine they serve as part of the all-inclusive called 'mallorca'vor something alike (for Christmas they served a much better one), nonetheless you can purchase decent wine inside the hotel or at Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: If you can't get a room overlooking the sea, get one overlooking the jungle.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Very large clean resort. Friendly staff and good food. We really enjoyed the beach/snorkelling area. We were feeding the fish out of our hands with fruit. However, we were a group of 28 and they didn't know what to do with such a large group. We were all over the resort in different building this made it very difficult for us to meet up. For dinner it was always a problem for us to have tables side by side. Even for New Years Eve we had tipped $20.00 to ensure two tables side by side at a reserved time but there were none. The were not at all accommodating to my 88 year old mother. They had no wheelchair available we had to rent one at $30.00 a day and have a $300.00 deposit. Even if AirCanada travel agent was very well advised of her needs. The shuttle service was great for us who didn't really need it. But for someone handicap she needed to wait a long time to have access to it. No one enjoyed the steakhouse but everyone enjoyed Brazilian and Japanese. The grounds are beautiful with lots of nature, the drinks are fantastic! Note half the group was sick for one day with stomach problems.

Room Tip: When you arrive to check in make sure you ask if you are in the same building as your friends/family...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico & as it was our honeymoon it certainly lived upto our expectations.
Heres a brief review of our trip.
Flight: OK to say it was Thomas Cook. Delayed as usual but only 40 mins.
Transfer: Good, rep very friendly & informative.
Arrival & check in: Great, very efficient & quick. Reception & bell boys were very good.
Rooms: Excellent, spacious, modern & clean. Could not fault a thing. We were in the 1st floor Mayan beach section overlooking the pool. Great spot.
Restaurants: Both buffet & ala carte restaurants were excellent. We only visited the buffet twice in two weeks so cant comment too much on that. Service, cuisine & drinks were very good.
Bars: Excellent staff & choice of drinks, service sometimes slow during busy periods but always greeted with a friendly smile! How can you go wrong with Corona on tap!
Pools: Had to be up early to get a good spot but apart from that we couldnt fault a thing. Animation staff were great as were the bar & waitress staff around the pool. The lazy river was most enjoyable for cooling down.
Beach: The beach is ok as we always compare beaches to ones we have visted in Cuba & the Dominican. Not the best at the Grand Serenis & not always easy to find sun beds after 10am. Staff at the beach bars were excellent as usual.
Trips: We like to expore ourselves so the only organised tour we booked was the Dolphins at Xcarat. It was expensive for what it was but my wife wanted to do it. The Dolphinarium was too cramped & they just want to get people in and out. Swam with dolphins in Cuba for half the price & wasnt as rushed. I would recommend trips to Tulum for the Mayan ruins, Akumal beach for swimming with wild turtles, Playa Del Carmen for the beach & shopping. Theres so much to do so wel leave that till next time. Get a collectivo (public minibus) from outside the hotel, its a great way to travel.
To sum up: We both really enjoyed our honeymoon & first trip to Mexico...would we recommend the hotel: Yes. Would we return to the hotel...probably not as theres the rest of the Riviera Maya to explore. The hotel itself is very good, the staff are great & Mexico is fantastic! We will be back!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Pros:
- Really big facility meant you could relax by one of the active pools, at the quiet pool or an area of the beach
- Pools and beach chairs in nice condition
- Rio lente (lazy river) was a big hit with the kids
- White-nosed Coati's would wander around the adjacent jungle and you may see one from your balcony
- Nearby jungle allowed for great bird watching and iguana's, as expected, are everywhere; keep your eye on the racoons by the pools and rooms
- Rooms with ocean view on third floor had amazing views
- Servers are working their feet off at this place but it is big, and as it was high season, it was very busy; most staff were very pleasant but it is a big enough place you'll encounter a surly server or two
- Well facilitated volleyball
- Recommend the fresh-grilled fish in the restaurants as a better choice of food
- We were there for New Year's Eve and they made things festive with a great show in the theatre and a midnight countdown
- Received a free Hydrotherapy at the Spa that was quite relaxing
- Good air conditioning in the rooms

Cons:
- Traveling with a senior citizen guest, mother-in-law who got her own lovely ocean view room, the hotel check-in could have cared less that our rooms were as far apart as could be. As she would get lost in the big facility it meant escorting her to and from her room at the opposite end of the resort several times a day, every day.
- When our door locks broke it took them a day and a half to fix them
- Tipping expected but didn't really get you much more than a nice thank you
- Take a walk off the main part of the beach, on the property, and you'll be in an area covered in garbage left by the receding tides
- Quality of housekeeping varied day by day; e.g., we only receive wash cloths every other day
- Took one hour to make dinner reservations for three nights and one spa reservation
- Pedicure at the spa was below average
- Don't expect high quality liquor if you drink your drinks neat
- Bare feet walking on the beach is limited
- Bed linens are below average and we had to ask twice for bedding for the fold-out couch (which I would only recommend for a lighter child). Room has two double beds and a pull-out couch. Mattresses were ok.

Bouquets:
- Most days I got a decent latte in the coffee shop, thanks to the baristas!

Brick:
- Ricky R, our concierge was less than helpful

Room Tip: Sound echos off the walls in the corridors, higher is quieter. Jungle views are quite lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited the hotel in Nov 2012 with my wife. We absolutely loved everything about the resort.
Extremely friendly and attentive staff; Yobani, José, Marceillo, Jesus. The lobby bartender Luis, Pamela the front desk clerk were fantastic. Luis always remembered my drink. Chef Gerardo C made our last evening so memorable - his salted rockfish which was specially cooked for us, was simply divine!! Special thanks to Executive Chef Jose Ramos for the chocolate covered strawberries sent to our hotel room.
The resort itself is gorgeous, great food, great a la cartes, great drinks, great rooms, lazy river is a lot of fun, Lorena at the coffee bar is amazing- she remembered our drinks :-). Mejid was very helpful with all our requests. We definitely recommend this resort and we will be returning soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Breton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

DadWe just arrived home today from the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya. After travelling to many different resorts in the DR, Cuba, Jamaica we would love to say that this resort by far was the best.

The food was great, drinks good and lots of bars available at the beach and pool area. One thing I would suggest is the coffee shop should be open a little early for the people who like to be out for a walk in the morning and then stop by for a coffee.

Daily bbq at the beach is really nice. It was really nice to have waitress around to get drinks from the bar but also very friendly and willing to socialize with the guests.

I would like to say a special thank you and shout out to Concierge Majid and Chabely. Great people who helped us out with booking our A la carte's and making sure everything was good in our room.

Bell Boy Oscar who was so friendly and concerned that we enjoyed our vacation.

Leydi Diana at the beach she was there when the beer was gone and willing to get us more but most importantly her friendliness. She made us laugh everyday and sure made us feel welcome at the restart. Her teaching of the Spanish language and helping us to better understand the lingo. Great girl, hope we see her again.

WE will be coming back and recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!