“Awesome Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum, Zona Costera, Km. 256.3, Akumal 77780 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Yorkville, Illinois
“Awesome Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This resort was perfect for our group of 14 travelers (ages 4-48). Rooms were large and very clean. Resort was easy to navigate and service was excellent! Beach was rocky, but with aqua socks was very enjoyable. The reefs at the resort had sea turtles and many other types of sea life. Great for snorkling! Food was good. Never had a problem finding anything to eat or drink. People were very friendly and Lsuey (concierge for 2700)and Jose (at swim bar) were awesome!! Great value and hated to leave!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,875)
  • Polish first
Alnwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

visited this hotel in september 12 , after visiting the riviera maya 4 times previous to this visit we were expecying the same quality of hotel that you would expect to get in a 5* resort and the same as previous resorts we have stayed in....how wrong we were.... the place is dated , the food is recycled crap, you see the leftovers from dinner at breakfast ie sushi, fillet steak , soup, then if it was not eaten at breakfast it was there for lunch , this is hardly the service you expect from a resort like this , the only good thing about the buffet was the service from ERIC
The rooms were old and dated with hard beds and old bedding ,old rusty furniture on the balcony, ripped curtains and stained bedsheets,
going to keep this review short and suggest to anyone reading this review before they make their decision to visit this hotel DONT,, save your hard earned money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family, with 2 teenaged daughters, stayed at the resort for 10 days over Christmas The resort is beautiful, however, we had a few disappointments during our stay. Our room was at the 2200 section, 3rd floor. The beds were hard and uncomfortable, and we didn't like the thin sheets and blankets. The sectional in the room needed to be replaced, pretty worn out. Housekeeping was a hit and miss, better service once we started leaving a tip or different cleaning lady. Food at buffet was ok but started to taste the same after awhile. Don't even bother with ordering room service, they were late and food was cold and tasteless and this happened all 4x we used this service. We were able to choose 4 restaurants during our stay, the Brazilian was good except the air conditioning wasnt working during our meal. The Steakhouse was the best as well also as well as the Italian. The Japanese preshow prior to the meal was great but the food was not. Heavy on the soy sauce (teriyaki sauce would be better) and our appies was lost in translation - not what we ordered. Our concierge were warm and accommodating, I told them upon checking in that I was not going to waste my time with any timeshare spiel and they cancelled right away. The service at the buffet was also a hit and miss, we looked forward to Alberto in Akumal as he always made sure we were taken care of, even if he didn't have our table. The girls at the pool and beach worked really hard and yes, they could use more staff. Guadalupe always had a smile and hello for us. The sports and entertainment staff did a good job with getting people to participate in games and activities. These same people work from 9:30am to 4:30pm, then come back again to perform in the nightly entertainment from 7:30-10:30pm. Jhonny, Christian, Anjel and Hugo and staff are very hard working and nice individuals. The nightly entertainment was surprisingly good at the resort. The beach itself was a bit rocky, but the snorkeling was awesome. Bring a banana in the water and watch the fish come. I saw a turtle just past the rocks - so cool. For tours, we used the cab to visit Tulum, Playa Del Carmen, and Akumal- security would take the cab/name of driver and our name/room number prior to leaving and the same upon return. We felt perfectly safe and saved some money. We only used Air Transat agents to Xelha, get there early for snorkeling as it gets quite crowded by early afternoon. Overall, I would return to this resort but perhaps upgrade to acquire a better bed?

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The grounds are beautiful, the staff is very helpful and friendly and the hotel is kept very clean. The food is not great, either at the buffet or at the a la carte restaurants.
My biggest complaint is the smell and the mustiness of the rooms. We were on the first floor and had to move because of the horrible smell. I had to have all of our clothes washed and cleaned when we came home because the smell got into everything including our suitcases.
Our family had a great time, but I don't think that I would go back because of the horrible dankness of the rooms.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1309
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I just returned from Grand Sirenis with a group of 14 people. 6 kids(5 -17) and 8 adults and we stayed from Dec. 30th - Jan 6th. Well, let me say first that I recently vacationed and reviewed the Beaches Resort in Ocho Rios so I may be a little bias towards Jamaica. That being said let me start with the good parts of this resort. The Grand Sirenis is a large resort with lots of walking to get around. There is a good reason they have shuttles/golf carts moving people around. It is a very beautiful resort !! The grounds, pools, buildings all look new and are well kept. The rooms are large and gorgeous. The bathroom is very large. The beaches are also very nice. Even though part of the beach is very, very rocky, the other portion further to the left is great. That portion of the beach is sandy, with no water shoes required, and in my opinion has the best snorkeling of any resort I have ever stayed at. I have been to Jamaica, DR, St Lucia, Aruba, Puerto Vall, and none of them compare to the squid, huge amount of fish, reefs, and sea turtles that I saw right off shore. It was amazing. I saw as much sea life snorkeling as I did during my dive there.

The restaurants/food I would rate from above average to very good. The buffet had a wide variety of fruits, veggies, salads, fruits, bread, meat, and fish. The NY's eve buffet was loaded with lobster, steak, and crab legs. yummy !!!

Okay, now for the negative items.....
I felt it was difficult at times to communicate with the staff. Of course everyone spoke Spanish most spoke very little English. Although, the concierge desk right outside your room spoke good english. Oddly enough, the more you tip the better service you received. So with those issues, it really hurts there quality of service. Also, make sure to bring long pants and closed shoes as it is REQUIRED at the nice restaurants and they do not budge. I didn't see this on the website, so I either missed it or it just wasn't there. Although when you see what some of the ladies wore, my nice shorts and closed-toe sandals should have been appropriate. There were not many pool games and things to do for the kids that are under 10 years old. The teens ere fine with the pools game, ie, volleyball, water polo. I guess I expected more having just been at a Beaches Resort.

Scuba Diving was good. The divemaster were very helpful, knowlegeable, and made the dive easy. Regarding dive lessons... Our friends tried to get the free lesson but got conflicting info. Apparently the free dive lesson people are contracted. So stick to diving with the resort employees. If you use the service by the pool, they will only give you a free lesson if you reserve a dive with them, even though their sign says “free lessons”

Overall, I really enjoyed our trip at this resort and would defintely recommend it to friends. Although, if you have small kids(10 and under) it may not be the best spot. But awesome snorkeling right on the beach, beautiful pools, nice large rooms, and good food/drinks. This is a nice resort. Hope this helps you choose your next vacation spot..

Room Tip: We stayed on the Mayan Beach side on the 1st floor (Llek Buidling 2700). That is located very close...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked this trip through Air Canada Vacations for one week over New Years. This is our second time to Mexico. It was very discouraging, and while I had many problems I will give you the highlights.

Check In: Clerk was rushed and rude even though we were the only people checking in. Had to ask twice to get information on how to access the wifi (which I was aware ahead of time we had to pay for).

Room # 1: Smelly, dirty bedding and had 2 double not 1 king as requested. Had to stay in the first night as the front desk refused to change it at the time.

Room #2: Day 2 we found out that they were 'fully booked' and had no record of us asking for a King bed. The ONLY one available was an upgraded room so we paid the extra money. The room smelled 100% better but the wifi only worked on the balcony, the tub took 45 minutes to fill, the jets didnt work, the toilet only flushed every second or third try and the temperature in the shower turned from cold to hot at it's own will.

House keeping: We received water and coffee only if we caught them to ask for it (not a big deal). They did a nice job of cleaning and left towel art every couple days. No issues with the safe, and nothing went missing, or looked like it was gone through.

Air Canada Rep: Caesar was uninterested in the fact that our room was wrong, and booked our trip to Xplor for the wrong day so we had an unwelcome wake up call telling us we missed our trip one morning. We refrained from going to him with any more issues.

Food: They have one big buffet with two sides in the lobby. The food was not very good. I was most unhappy with breakfast as 80% of the buffet looked like left over dinner including a crusted over bin of refried beans. They do however have 'stations' for cooking meat, and sometimes pasta which was nice.

We ate the steakhouse, japanese, and cajun. I found the japanese ok. The rest weren't great. The appetizers were buffet style and pretty gross. The cajun one everything tasted like fish, even the tomatoes. However the catfish was hot, well cooked and nicely seasoned.

The Bars: I prefer my drinks fruity and the alcohol smooth and not as noticeable. My drinks were often simply full of cheap liquor. You couldn't taste much else. Cough Syrup Mai Tais, and Bad Rum Mojitos. That was probably 80% of the time. Otherwise typical Mexico bar.

The shows: For every show we attempted it was the Sirenis Sound Band with 3 singers taking turns. They were okay, but by about half way through the smooth slow sounds were wearing and we left. The waitresses at the shows were top notch.

Overall I would HIGHLY recommend going somewhere else. I read a lot of reviews like this before we left, and assumed that everyone was over senstiive and nit picky. Really really though I would tell people to simply avoid this resort.

Room Tip: 1100 Block Room was Smelly and Dirty. 1800 Block Room had a nice view, but patio door didn't cl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi Rachael F, thank you for sending your feedback, your comments are always welcome and appretiated.
We consider all customer requests made during reservations, however as you may understand it is sometimes simply not possible to accomodate all requests, especially during high season, and agencies always know that such requests are subject to availability.
However, I am sad to read that you were disappointed about the food, as we have great comments on our restaurants by our customers, particularly on the variety that our a la carte and themed buffet nights offer.
To make reference to the bar liquor, we would like to confirm you that both lobby bars are equipped with premium brands.
Regarding entertainment, I would like to remark that we have a band who play and sing live during the shows with our team of dancers. Please, notice that there is often a post-show karaoke held at the very same theatre, where guests and entertainers share mic time.
Taking your comments on our stride, I thank you again for taking your time to review you vacation with us. Very best, Daniel – Assistant Manager
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned from the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya. What a wonderful time. I have never had so many people work so hard to ensure we had a great vacation.
(1) All of the staff were great. Special thanks to Hugo for making it a special vacation and to the Dive Staff who were awesome. Mario made check in easy. The room was always well maintained and every request handled.
(2) I got sick - the staff were great. The doctor they sent to the room was wonderful. Just to let everyone know that sometimes things happen. It was nice to know that I was cared for promptly and professionally. After a little care and a few drugs I was able to finish the rest of the vacation. The staff and the out-of-country insurance company both checked on me throughout the vacation and were very attentive.
(3) Bed was uncomfortable. That being said, I am very fussy and when I mentioned the bed to the concierge at the end of the vacation he said he was sorry I didn't mention something sooner, he would have tried to fix the situation.
(4) The buffet was good. Maybe a little repetitive, but there was no way that you could go hungry on the vacation. The desserts were incredible.
We would definitely go back to the Grand Sirenis.

Room Tip: We had a room away from the pool. Although this is not one of the preferred rooms, for us it was pe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!